Jan 31

People’s Choice: Vote for Master Bathroom Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Master Bathroom Fixtures

Today, we invite you to vote for fixtures — from the faucet and bathtub to super-cool lighting — we will install in the master bathroom. Vote now and invite friends and family to participate too.

• Posted at 10:12 am on January 1, 2013

1. Awesome a bidet option!!! Be still my heart!!! Although this one might require batteries???. Getting pretty wild here. Hmmm it's the south do you really require a heated floor???? How will the bidet option be pet friendly to your dogs? This should be very interesting!!! Thanks for listening and providing the bidet option.Love it!!! At least it gets people talking, exploring and taking a serious look at how others around the world take care of business. Hokiemom

Ashtabulannie on January 31, 2013 at 6:43 pm
    • The mornings and evenings can be cool in the Spring and Fall in the South. If I had a cabin on the water I would be going year round not just the summer.

Barbara on February 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm
    • I love having a bidet, though have never had the toilet bidet option such as this. Bidets serve many convenient functions, aside from per-sonal hyg iene.. great place for laundering delicates, soaking and bleaching fabrics, wonderful clean usage. Americans just don;t know what they;re missing! B):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 2, 2013 at 3:59 am
    • Kitty totally agree. Our entire family utilizes this fixture. Just another sink. No big deal. The choice shown here is a little too high tech and maybe scary for several individuals new to the bidet world. A very simple no battery, No high tech electronics might be preferable as some might be concerned for the safety of their nether parts. Kids especially might find this off putting or who knows they might really have a great time??? Takes all kinds lololo. As I responded to Clive, for example the deluxe model: SB-1000 is over the top!!! With the Enema and massage options OMG!!! Over the top for me. Certainly saves a lot more water than those "rain" shower heads.

Ashtabulannie on February 2, 2013 at 9:32 pm
    • Oh, Ashtabulannie! I wrote somewhere, more in depth about the benefits of a bidet, but I don't think Americans will ever understand one until they try it–then they'll become hooked. I particularly love and recommend the ones with the shower/fountain operation–you know of which I speak? Talk about the best of hygiene worlds and then some… I doubt this one's gonna' win, sigh, and looks like the heated floor has it. Living in Virginia, I'm not seeing that much use, but the concept, spend more DIY money on the luxury item does ring a bell somewhere, don't you think? P.S. Methinks it will also ring a bell on the final taxable Prize ARV…xD;):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 2, 2013 at 11:17 pm
    • Hokiemom, how SAD here there is a bidet option and heated floor in the South is winning out. Life is crazy.

Eugenia27 on February 2, 2013 at 8:58 pm
    • A heated floor may seem a little incongrous in NC but from personal experience, as a frequent visitor to my in-laws in NC, it will be a big advantage from November to March when even the coast gets cold nights and chilly days. Also, it gives the biggest bang for bucks in up front costs and resale value. The other items are easily purchased for relatively few $ and easily deployed in the house, unlike retrofitting a heated floor. :)

Clive on February 2, 2013 at 9:09 pm
    • Clive, totally agree about the bang for the bucks and up front costs. Easy enough to install a bidet toilet seat. Sort of?? I checked out the top of the line: SB-1000. OMG.You have to have an electrical outlet for the water heater and all the other fancy schmancy options. Kinda a scary if you go in during the nite. It might attack you!!! Too many options: Female? Male? Enema? Massage? One might never leave the loo? Over the top for my needs. Just a simple vessel with hot and cold water thank you very much. LOLOL

Ashtabulannie on February 2, 2013 at 9:19 pm
    • Simply terrifying. xD

Clive on February 2, 2013 at 9:52 pm
    • Yikes! Or the loo may grab you, if Model SB-1000 gets its way! LOL!:p;)xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 2, 2013 at 11:24 pm
    • LOL! LOL! I' can just preview my dreams–er, nightmares tonight! You have my sides splitting!!!xD:p<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 2, 2013 at 11:21 pm
    • ZzaaP ! Enemas ? Yikes ! :o I may have nightmares.

This time around, when another option is a heated floor–(so energy-efficient a way to heat a room,) I am afraid Bidet-Zilla has to lose…

LLColeman on February 4, 2013 at 4:35 am
    • LL,Hey I'm a bidet aficionado and this thing even scares me!! I was picturing a hard night of drinking (St. Paddy's day is closing in) and there are those times when one has to place the other end over the toilet.Bleeck! I guess it would also be nice for a face wash and gargle??? Just saying…… ????

Ashtabulannie on February 4, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    • Too funny!!!:pxD Kitty<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm
    • Eugenia, that's ok it is easy enough to install that bidet seat (if there is an electrical outlet close by?) after the fact. I've never actually tried the toilet seat option. Mine is a separate basin next to the toilet and plumbed with hot and cold water. No fancy sprays, heated seats, or bells or whistles. Although that bare porcelain is mighty cold in the winter! I just splash a little hot water on the rim. Sorry too much information. Sorry, sorry, sorry. I'm thrilled that it is even offered as a choice! Kudos to Mary and her staff for even offering it as an option!!! Hey Mary thanks for listening! I truly appreciate being able to even have this discussion. And the SWING!!! Renews my faith that YOU or your staff are really hearing our discussions. Thank YOU! Hokiemom

Ashtabulannie on February 2, 2013 at 9:44 pm
    • Love the swing too! One regret about it: the MBR porch is in the back part and faces away from the water view. I suppose one could put a giant mirror that picks up the panorama of the Core Sound….;):p Kidding, of course!

Thanks, Mary and DIY!B):*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 2, 2013 at 11:31 pm
    • Yes I agree but a nice polywood glider under the living room windows in the front screened porch will take care of that.

zulumom on February 3, 2013 at 10:24 am
    • <3 <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 3, 2013 at 2:04 pm
  2. Just a thought on the luxury items. The owner can easily purchase a heated towel rail or a heated bidet seat but to retrofit a heared floor, however unlikely it is that it will be much use, is more expensive and a lot more time consuming. In this case it would require taking up the entire wood floor and then relaying it. Therefore, it's the logical choice to have installed when the house is being built. :)

Clive on January 31, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    • Absolutely, even though in NC you might not need the heated floor much it is the most sensible choice for resale.

zulumom on January 31, 2013 at 7:31 pm
    • That was my thoughts Clive, I always go for the most $$ and the most work to replace LOL

vicki_in_Utah on January 31, 2013 at 7:40 pm
    • Clive- Yes, a good choice. I feel the same way. It still gets chilly in NC in the winter, too, so a nice warm floor is always very nice. They are only on when the temp is set correctly, so no waste of energy. Tearing up a floor later will cost lots of bucks. Sure wish we had one. Severe wind chill warning for Minnesota this evening, until noon tomorrrow, down to a wind chill of -41. Now, that is COLD. Jennie from FL, please send us some heat. Thanks in advance.

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 7:58 pm
    • Hi Woodworker and Clive, did you feel the heat I sent to you guys last night from Florida??? If not , it was because we didn't have any to send..It was 39 here last night and hasn't gotten out of the high 50's today! I know we're called "The Sunshine State" but when the sun goes down and the night is here, just windy cold weather like NC appears….Sure wish I had some Heated Flooring!!! I've had my Warm Fuzzy Socks on all day!!! Brrrrrr…..You Guys stay warm tonight!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm
    • Jennie- If you call -2 degrees is sending the heat, better try again some other day. :) Still cold today. I do not think it got above zero today, and now it has been snowing lightly for the past hour……..really big flakes, too. I totally agree with you, a heated floor would be welcome in most houses, even in the lovely land of the Sunshine State. I went deep sea fishing in the Gulf, off Fort Meyers and Sarasota, many, many years ago, catching red snappers and 16 pound Groupers plus a 4 foot shark. I got sooooooooooo seasick, as well. Think WARM>>>>>>>>>>>

Woodworker from MN on February 1, 2013 at 6:40 pm
    • Woodworker, You made me laugh! Sorry you got sick!!! Not a good feeling I'm sure…We have always had a boat and fished the Rivers, Canals, Lakes, Channels and Inlets, but I would never go fishing out in the Ocean!! I always pictured Jaws swimming up under Our boat and lifting us up out of the water. tooooo many movies!!! LOL
      Grouper and Snapper are my absolute favorite fish…But being a Bass Fisherman's wife we also love Bass….I have never eaten shark and don't want to….Was that your first experience deep sea fishing??? After your "Experience" in the Gulf did you try it again??? Sarasota and
      Fort Myers are beautiful..one of my favorite places to visit.I have friends living in Fort Myers!!
      OK!! it's going to be a Nice Warm toasty Evening by the Fireplace with your Lovely family drinking Hot Apple Cider with a cinnamon stick, a slice of Homemade Apple Pie/ Ala mode Everyone has their Warm Fuzzy Socks on and their Warm Flannel "Long Johns" and Everyone is dressed in Fire Engine Red….Enjoy and stay warm!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 1, 2013 at 8:45 pm
    • Yes, we went out the day before that, but on a much larger boat. When I got seasick, we were on a 40' charter fishing boat, rented with 3 other couples. One of the ladies was from Iowa, and she never wet her hook all day, because she was sick all day long. She was down in the hold of the boat, with her head in the stool most of the day. I just let it go over the side of the boat. When we got back to shore, the fisrt mate cleaned all our fish, and what we did not have room for, they sold to visitors who came to the pier. A fun day fishing 70 miles out in the gulf, but not so much fun being sick. I do not know what they did with the shark I caught. Cold again this evening, -2-2 right now. Kids are all in bed already, so I am going to watch DIY.

Woodworker from MN on February 1, 2013 at 9:16 pm
    • Hi Woodworker I hope they send me some heat to over here in Wisconsin at 9 degrees and wind chills are -10, the other day wind chills at -20. Man I could have really gone for a heated floor.

Dreamer13 on February 3, 2013 at 7:58 am
    • LOL!;)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 2, 2013 at 3:30 am
    • You always make some good points!

Leo on February 1, 2013 at 11:27 am
    • Clive, my first thoughts mirrored yours also. I love the idea of a heated floor.

Mindy_Lou on February 1, 2013 at 2:08 pm
    • Seeing that it is not that cold there is it really a place to invest the money in heated floors or towel ? I mean I personally would love to have both but I live in Wis. with -20 below. But it is nice to dream and yes if you are going to get the heated floors do it when you are building. I have family that got it when just doing flooring and it was a nightmare.

Dreamer13 on February 3, 2013 at 7:44 am
    • I live in WI also. My in-laws all live in the NC Piedmont & Virginia coast. Heated floors are useful from late October to March, sometimes longer, and cost nothing if not in use.:)

Clive on February 3, 2013 at 10:14 am
    • Good Morning Clive, I would like to get off track from the M/B to ask a question that has been on
      my mind.. It concerns the Cupola….For some reason the Cupola doesn't stand as tall as I thought it would. In the first Photo of the revised floor plan photos, Photo #1 the Cupola stands tall enough for us to see at least 2 levels of windows, of course when you look at it from the ground you can hardly see it at all, only the roof using the Cam, so I'm wondering why they didn't build it a foot or two taller so you could see the windows from the ground? Are there building code restrictions tor this?
      The Cottage is secluded and no one will be riding by to see the Cottage and the only people who will see it, are the Owners, but they can't see anything but the Cupola's roof top from the waterside.
      Just saying I thought it would have been taller than it is so it could be enjoyed by the Homeowners outside too…Just Curious…..Could you enlighten me??
      Of course from the inside it will be great, just disappointed it can't be admired from waterside too!

Jennie/Florida on February 3, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    • That is "restrictions for this"

Jennie/Florida on February 4, 2013 at 1:07 am
    • The cupola shown in the’ Photo 1’ artist rendering of the house viewed from the South East corner is out of synch with all the other line drawings and what we saw when the cupola was by the well head being built. I would ignore that picture.

What they appear to have built is the same as what's drawn in 'photos' 3-6. They show the cupola with one level of windows only on each side. On the front and rear sides there's one oblong window (I'm guessing they're about 12×18 in.). They're drawn as windows that open along the top hinge. On the two longer sides (E&W) there are two square windows (maybe 1ft sq) on each side arranged side by side that don't appear to open.

The cupola isn't very tall, maybe 3ft from roof ridge to apex of the cupola top. The sight line from the camera can't show much of the cupola now it's in position on the roof. ;)

I've no idea why they chose that height but it may be something to do with the weight & strength of the structure and it being able to withstand a category 2 hurricane – the same as the roofing shingles.

Clive on February 4, 2013 at 9:53 pm
    • Thanks Clive for that info. I have never seen a house with a cupola before.

vicki_in_Utah on February 4, 2013 at 10:30 pm
    • Hi Clive, thank you for your explanation, I see what your saying but I'm just disappointed that we can't see more of it from the water side..It's such a nice addition to the Cottage and it would be nice to see more of it and not just the cupola roof ..But there is so much more that we can admire about this cottage and I can't wait to see the color they have chosen for the new roof…I hope it is a light color!!!. Have a good warm day!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 5, 2013 at 9:45 am
  3. I think the rustic ceiling could be very beachy if the beams were whitewashed, which would be easy to do.

zulumom on January 31, 2013 at 7:42 pm
    • I totally agree about the whitewash effect…that would be stunning cause the heavy wood beams fit better in a log cabin….

sandyK on January 31, 2013 at 11:09 pm
    • I guess I am like Nicole Curtis from Rehab Addict. She always says. " Why would anyone ever want to paint, or cover the great grain of nice wood ?"

Woodworker from MN on February 1, 2013 at 9:25 am
    • Maybe more like a whitish stain over the wood. You still can see the grain of the wood it just is much lighter.

zulumom on February 1, 2013 at 5:14 pm
    • Yes, that is a possibility. I have done that on a few of the many birdfeeders I have made in the past, at the customer's request. The color is there, but the true grain of the wood will show through the stain. If they do that, I hope they will mix boiled linseed oil with the stain, along with a little bit of mineral spirits, so it will really penetrate. Whoops, I just revealed one of my stain ingredients.

Woodworker from MN on February 1, 2013 at 5:32 pm
    • I would agree, if it is nice wood. However, there are some woods that are just not as nice, which I am perfectly ok with painting :)

Mimitheminer on February 2, 2013 at 5:00 am
    • I think the look would be great; however, for the past several years I have been considering how easy things are to clean. So my vote would be for the Classic ceiling.

Larree on February 1, 2013 at 6:56 pm
  4. Glad we finally figured how to do this, Love the choices

R A K on January 31, 2013 at 9:02 pm
  5. Love the master bath choices! Nothing is bad/unacceptable or distasteful. I must agree with one of the bloggers above – "How can any of the choices be wrong?"

StellaF on January 31, 2013 at 9:03 pm
    • Stella- Yes, all of the choices are wonderful, not one bad thing to choose. Whatever the result, I am sure everyone will love it. How can we go wrong ?

Woodworker from MN on February 1, 2013 at 9:28 am
  6. I can only read 2 pages of comments…and since there are so many I am wondering how to access
    next page(s)??? Also, would you send me a reminder, because today I cannot get to your website to vote
    from my computer… I did send you my email address….thanx.

Ethel on January 31, 2013 at 9:22 pm
  7. The choices are pretty good. The tub is my main thought because I had the opportunity to use a free-standing claw-foot tub at my friends cabin last year. I have always loved them – in theory. To actually use one was a nightmare for me. I had a drop-in jetted tub in a former life and it was very easy to sit on the side and slide into the tub. I was young then so ease didn't occur to me. Conventional drop-in tubs are just as easy to slide into. BUT – the free-standing tub at my friends place was very difficult to get into. I was actually fearful trying to get into it without slipping or falling. Granted, I'm older now and have had one hip replaced, but one shouldn't have to be "fearful" climbing into a tub! Or climbing out, as well. I'm going to vote for the cleanliness and ease of access on the voting options. Just my opinion, of course.

hendon on January 31, 2013 at 9:39 pm
    • I totally agree with your ease of entry and exit observations. I also think of how uncomfortable I'd be bathing my grandchildren in the claw-foot tub. I know they will come to visit us if we win! Your opinion is valued, hendon!

Grandma Bets on January 31, 2013 at 10:14 pm
    • Thanks Grandma Bets. That's another good point. Good Luck to you!

hendon on February 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm
  8. I love the classic ceiling, can't imaging cleaning cobwebs off the rustic beams.
    I've had the rockers, they stunk big-time on our porch and we gave them to our oldest son; then we bought a swing. Rockers don't rock too well on a porch.
    The heated floor would be fantastic in the bath.
    I like the clean look of the dual handle faucet but I understand the ease of use of the single handle version, even though I don't like the way it looks.
    Aren't undermount sinks hard to keep the gunk out of the crevices? I've never had one and I've avoided them because of the gunk I feared. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Love being able to vote, I vote hoping the new owner will like our choices. It's hard to keep personal preference out of it.

hendon on January 31, 2013 at 9:54 pm
  9. Really great choices and since it is a "cottage" i am especially fond of the nautical theme…In the warm climate though, I am not sure why anyone would need a heated floor!!!

sandyK on January 31, 2013 at 11:04 pm
    • Heated floors are not needed in the climate of blog cabin. In fact, a cool floor would feel good. Most places on the beach are not all shut up with the air cond. on. Windows are opened to accept the sea breezes. Why would you want more heat inside? Seems a needless expense when it is warm and sometimes VERY HOT most of the year. I am voting for the nice soothing, cooling bidet heated seat that would be turned off except on the coolest mornings. If there is a bidet seat, surly there would be a bidet!

Pat Green on February 1, 2013 at 11:47 am
    • Heated floor works on a thermostat. Set it for whatever you wish. Any of the other luxury items can be purchased later for little if the owner wishes. To retrofit a heated floor is expensive and time consuming. No need to heat the entire house just to have a warm bathroom.

The master bath is about 96 sqft(12×8 ft). Less the roll-in shower (24 sqft) and the area drawn for the vanity and the commode (another 16sq ft approx.) the area for under-floor heating is about 56sqft. That will consume less than 800 W per hour to heat to 70F. That compares favorably to using the HVAC system to heat the bathroom (plus the entire house). For a central heating system get the bathroom floor up to that temp will take about an hour (depending on the temp it starts out), possibly longer, as opposed to a few minutes with under-floor heat. :)

I agree it will only be used for a few months a year but it will be a good house resale item, unlike the others. ^_^

Clive on February 1, 2013 at 1:24 pm
    • Clive- I agree 100%. Very well stated. Thanks so very much. I voted for the heated floor. Even at 50 degrees in the morning, like it is now, that bathroom floor will be cold. :)

Woodworker from MN on February 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm
    • Hi Pat, I live in East Central Florida and we have frost and freezes and a lot of cold Winter weather over the course of about 3 Months and the Weather pattern is changing all over the US, the Weatherman says, so the Cottage bathroom heated floor might come in handy in the years to come..who knows? Some people have sensitive feet and can't walk on cool floors..My Mom use to say, when your feet get cold, you get cold all over..Smile!
      They also have controls for the Heated floor and a heated floor would be a good selling point if the Homeowner wanted or had to sell the Cottage…You can buy one of those seats anytime, but it's a big process if you wanted to install the heated floor after the fact..Taking up the flooring would be a major job, so why not do it now? If you win, you can take the heated flooring out if you don't want it or just don't turn it on…..But between those two options, the heated floor seems to be more logical, practical and valuable….Ask those Guys who are working on the Cottage, if they think it gets cold enough in NC to install heated floors.They have worked all those Cold mornings in the frigid weather with the Wind chills close to freezing or Freezing, but ask them if they would vote for heated flooring or the seat!
      Yes, I agree it's nice to open up the windows and enjoy all the nice Sea Breezes in the Summertime but in the Winter time it does get cold enough for the heated flooring..Just My Thought. Have a good Day Pat!…….I have to tell you, I grew up with a Pat Green, we were best of friends for 12 years! It was nice to see her name again after all these years!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 1, 2013 at 2:43 pm
    • Hi back to you, Jennie. I did not realize that the bidet seat was just an add-on to a regular toilet but rather a seperate free standing bidet. If that's the case, I agree with you a heated floor would be nice on chilly mornings and add to the saleability of the home. I do remember other bloggers asking for a bidet last year. How nice that my name brings back Pat Green memories to you. Wouldn't want to change that for the world! Take care. Pat

Pat Green on February 2, 2013 at 12:10 pm
  10. After reading the comments, I have to say that I think the beams are more nautical than a traditional ceiling. An antique wooden ship certainly had beams. One viewer stated above that the beams could be painted white to give it a more beachy feel. I totally agree with this. Personally, l like to see the natural wood grain, but the whitewash effect is an acceptable option.

nmdeman on January 31, 2013 at 11:27 pm