Jan 31

People’s Choice: Vote for Master Bathroom Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Master Bathroom Fixtures

Today, we invite you to vote for fixtures — from the faucet and bathtub to super-cool lighting — we will install in the master bathroom. Vote now and invite friends and family to participate too.

• Posted at 10:12 am on January 1, 2013

1. Yea! New Voting. Terrfic choices!
    Love the Tub!
    Had NO problem voting.
    DIY techies must have fixed problems earlier commenters mentioned.

Lester B. on January 31, 2013 at 12:23 pm
  2. New sign on the post by the grape vines………." Bath Crashers Was Here". Matt and company must be lurking somewhere, or just came to get some ideas for his Bath Crashers. :) :) Matt is one great guy, lives in MN., and does most of his crashes around the Mpls metropolitan area, and outer Minnesota. I'd love to meet him, and Ryan Prosser, who is the contractor for a lot of his shows.

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 12:29 pm
    • If Matt was there, there is not much to do this early in the game, 'cause the electrical, plumbing, drywall, and ventilation has to be planned first. However, he can give contractors his plan, so they can plan the utilities accordingly. None of that can be done, until the roof is on, and all openings are closed, like windows, doors, etc.

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 1:17 pm
    • They probably need to do some measuring and advance planning so they can order supplies.

Grammagail on February 1, 2013 at 8:56 am
  3. Do you think there will be a bidet in the master bath? If not, why are we voting for a heated seat? Many bloggers have been asking for one in the previous blogs. A bidet that is.

Pat Green on January 31, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    • Absolutely, but if the heated flooring wins, which I am sure it will, then the toilet will be the regular style.. Everyone likes a nice warm floor in their bathroom, especially in the northland. :)

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    • yes, but this is not the Northland. I am not sure the heated floor would be used very much. It really gets hot and humid there. I wouldn't want more heat coming from the floor. A nice cooling soothing bidet would feel nice and be used more. IMO Pat

Pat Green on January 31, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    • I like the idea of a bidet too, heated or not !!!

gremol on January 31, 2013 at 6:06 pm
    • I can't recall a blogger on Blog Cabin ever asking for a bidet, heated seat or not. ;) Must be on one of the other HGTV blogs.:)

AniesOwn on January 31, 2013 at 6:20 pm
    • I stand corrected. Just saw my first ever request for a bidet on Blog Cabin. ^_^

AniesOwn on January 31, 2013 at 7:15 pm
  4. Great choices so far as I share the same taste as others that are in the lead, except for the claw foot tub. Seems it would be a litttle more difficult to get in and out of and hard to clean as well, though I do think it is pretty and has the country look.

barbara59nc on January 31, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    • No, if it's drop in, you will have a deck around it that makes it harder to climb over !!

gremol on January 31, 2013 at 6:09 pm
  5. I like the choices although I am little puzzled by the Classic ceiling design instead of Rustic. This is the Blog Cabin in a Rustic setting.

Sam on January 31, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    • Sam, I tend to agree. I think most of the folks who like the classic ceiling, have never been in or around a home with exposed beams. I like the beams myself, but that is just my personal preference, 'cause I know how they give any room that real rural, rustic look. Whatever people decide is fine with me. I have been around many different styles in homes, and each home requires a little different touch.

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 1:08 pm
    • Hi Sam I'm thinking Rustic is more woodsy, mountain style, while this Cottage is on the Beach and I would think the White Classic ceiling design is more in style with the Beach area!!! I realize it is called DIY's "Blog Cabin" but this rebuild Everyone is calling it a Beach Cottage for obvious reasons…..
      No matter what Diy puts in this Cottage, it will turn out beautiful and who ever wins is either going to sell it or be Tickled Pink they won and will except what ever design were chosen for this "Blog Cabin" or if they are wealthy and don't like it, they can redo the whole thing….What fun it is to decorate Someone else's Home and hope that you maybe the Winner!!! Just my thoughts!!! Have a Nice day Sam…..

Jennie/Florida on January 31, 2013 at 2:44 pm
    • Hi Jennie, one of my daughters just got back from a week camping in the everglades, I was afriad she wouldn't come back to snow country, but she did.

vicki_in_Utah on February 1, 2013 at 11:46 am
    • Hi Vicki, first of all I want to say that I hope your Son is Ok and on his way to Recovery. I know how you must feel because when Our kids hurt, We hurt..I have been saying Prayers for his Speedy recovery…Please keep us updated on his progress!!
      I bet your Daughter was really enjoying the weather in the Glades, they have tropical weather all year long, but I think I will pass due to all the reptiles and other vermins' that one may run into there….
      I did hear they were having Contest to catch all types of Pythons and are having to kill them to rid them of the outrageous population they have encountered due to reckless Snake Owners dumping them into the Canals and Waterways after they get too big for them to handle…instead of taking them to a Zoo or a Wildlife refuge so they could be contained…
      I hope your Daughter had a good time and was careful of the Mosquitoes down there..They are caring the West Nile Virus and Malaria…Take care Vicki !!!

Jennie/Florida on February 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm
    • I agree with you too!!!! Loved the rustic look for a CABIN!!! ;)

Lorrie on January 31, 2013 at 3:45 pm
    • Yeah, no kidding.

Leo on February 1, 2013 at 11:25 am
    • The cabin is Carolina coastal and that style is clean ceilings, not woodsy beams.

Samdaman on February 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm
  6. Well I voted and I must say I like most the choices.
    Though I must say I am superised that most people picked the Classic Ceilling over the Rustic!
    Though I think most people are just seeing the Fire place and picking it because of that more then the Ceilling Design it's self!!! =/

asandmancan on January 31, 2013 at 1:40 pm
    • I agree with you! The rustic is much more cabin like and would still fit in withthe antique furniture. Pat

Pat Green on January 31, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    • Right, and it gives it a cozy warm fealling!!! B)

asandmancan on January 31, 2013 at 2:32 pm
    • I chose classic, because it seems lighter and more "beachy" – the heavy exposed beams seem more mountain cabin to me.

Mimitheminer on January 31, 2013 at 2:18 pm
    • I was thinking that the Rustic gave it more a old craftsman Cabin kind of look!
      Don't get me wrong I do like the Classic look too, But that reminds me of a new stile home!!!!

asandmancan on January 31, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    • What I really would have liked is something like beadboard or whitewashed board, painted planks, something similar to the original house. But that wasn't one of the voting options :(

Mimitheminer on January 31, 2013 at 2:55 pm
    • That would have ben nice too!!!

asandmancan on January 31, 2013 at 5:00 pm
    • I was surprised that the beadboard was not one of the choices too Mimitheminer.

vicki_in_Utah on January 31, 2013 at 7:42 pm
    • Agreed. The classic is beachy, while the rustic is more wooded, log cabin style.

ceddinger on January 31, 2013 at 3:57 pm
    • I Agree with you Mimi !!!…I Love Rustic Cabins in the Mountains, but on the Beach I like a Nautical Beach Cottage…Light, Bright and Cozy with all the Antique furniture and collectibles, plus the nautical things
      they had added to make it a Great Beachy Cottage…
      I love going from room to room and really feeling that this was a Happy Home for so many years and
      with so many good memories..I'm kinda feel sad for them….But Happy for us who get to be part of the Rebuild and get to decorate "Someones'" Beautiful New Cozy Cottage…Have a good Evening!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 31, 2013 at 4:59 pm
    • OOPS my comment jumped all over the place, Sorry!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 31, 2013 at 5:02 pm
    • That is I kinda feel sad for them…Didn't proof read..

Jennie/Florida on January 31, 2013 at 7:21 pm
    • Mimi and Jenny- I agree with both of you! :) I love the lighter ceiling in a hot climate and I hope that the ceiling fans goes along with the classic look. Great to move the air in a humid climate.

Lia_M on February 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    • I couldn't agree more. Classic fits better with the beach theme, which is light,bright and airy. Dark beams are too rustic for beach construction. JMHO..Thanks

Windee :) on February 3, 2013 at 9:02 pm
    • Rustic ceilings are difficult to keep clean and free of cobwebs. They're a lot of extra work. They make rooms look smaller and darker too.

Sally on January 31, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    • I don't mind the darker look, But the hard to clean part I would have a problem with. I din't know that part!

asandmancan on January 31, 2013 at 4:58 pm
    • Many older beach homes were made with open-beamed ceilings. They circulated the air more and were cooler. Antique furniture is often seen in these settings. At the time, they were not antiques but mearly the furniture of the day. As for cleaning, I have no trouble using a lamb's wool duster on a long pole. It does not get any dustier than any other ceiling. Pat

a

Pat Green on February 1, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    • Pluse being a beach house all you need to do to keep the dust down, is to open the windows often and it will air most of it out! That is what my family in Greece would do and the fresh air would circulate beater!!!

asandmancan on February 1, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    • Don't the "no-see-ums" come in thru the windows? I haven't seen a window screen on any of the homes. That's scary to me.

hendon on February 2, 2013 at 11:21 pm
    • That's why you keep an 'Uggie Boogie' under the bed to eat all the "No-see-ums" in the house!!!

Or Just get a Dream Catcher!!!!!! B)

asandmancan on February 2, 2013 at 11:30 pm
    • Hi Dee, If I'm not mistaken, they had Screens on the windows at the last Blog Cabin in Waldoboro, Maine…Welcome to the Blog!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 3, 2013 at 12:05 am
    • Yes… My husband and I have rented a number of ocean area cottages over the years and many have the rustic look ceilings, with beams. Many people who own them display beach treasures and findings from and on the beams. Dusting is just a matter of a dusting arm on a wand or stick.

MimiB on February 4, 2013 at 1:44 pm
    • You are correct in thinking that! That's exactly what I did!

Susan Donato on February 7, 2013 at 3:01 pm
  7. Glad to see the nautical lighting choice. From the start of this project I have been hoping for a nautical theme, so perhaps DIY is considering that. There were many components inside the old cottage that can be used in the decor to bring out a nautical feel. The tub is a no brainer for me. Claw legged one will be perfect, radiant floor heating, nautical lighting, swing, classical ceiling.

Heading South on January 31, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    • oops~! my bad….. should be classic, not classical :-)

Heading South on January 31, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    • Thank you, Heading South —you are voting my choices too ! Radiant floor heating seems to be a pretty green feature, although I do not know anyone with a radiant heat floor. I love rustic beams on high ceilings, but ceilings on the BC won't be too high…some beach cottages have had exposed beams but these don't seem to fit this home.

LLColeman on February 4, 2013 at 4:25 am
  8. I just voted. There were a lot of great choices.

Summer on January 31, 2013 at 2:31 pm
  9. Guess what? I have a sneaky hunch something is happening behind those boarded off media room windows. If they installed those plywood sheets just for storm protection last night, the normal place to put them would be on the outside of the wall, rather than the inside. In strong winds, the sheets would pull loose much easier, if they are inside. I had that hunch yesterday, when I first saw them over the windows. I see all the vehicles are gone right now, but the trailer door is still open. Something is happening, behind the scenes, I think. :)

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 3:00 pm
    • That wooden shuttering (and the quick closing of the roof in that area) was very likely because they were filming something for Bath Crashers. High contrast sunlight & shadows is a very difficult light for filming. They have done the same in the past and sometimes film at night to avoid this while the constructioin is so open. Having it enclosed and using floodlighting umbrellas gives a very even light and a much better result. :)

Clive on January 31, 2013 at 3:08 pm
  10. I hope they re-use the dresser converted into a vanity that was in the old house – the white one with shell-design knobs. Maybe in the upstairs bathroom? I thought that was perfect for the house and I hope they kept it. If it was not in good usable condition, maybe they could just re-use the knobs to make another one like it.

Mimitheminer on January 31, 2013 at 3:12 pm
    • I agree with you Mimi this was one of my favorite things of the old cabin too and that upstairs bath has just the right space for it.

zulumom on January 31, 2013 at 7:28 pm
    • I agree – the furniture in the old house was perfect.

Larree on February 1, 2013 at 7:15 pm
    • Larree, that particular design will be difficult/tedious to clean, looks way over contemporary! I prefer a single lever, but that matches the antique looking tub, for Pete sakes! I'm not loving the lack of style and era coordination!!!B)xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 2, 2013 at 3:46 am
    • I somewhat agree about the faucet choices. My very first vote was for the single lever, which I like far better than two knobs. I also liked the look. But then, I noticed the spout a shape that would be harder to clean. I wonder if they will use the exact item pictured or just the concept. I would prefer a single lever with a simple spout.

Larree on February 2, 2013 at 8:53 am
    • In keeping with the age of the original home the double faucet is the way to go. I actually prefer duel faucets for acquiring the perfect temperature.

Eugenia27 on February 2, 2013 at 8:28 pm