Jan 29

Reframing and Roofing Process

Blog Cabin 2013 Structural Framing

Exciting things are happening at the home site. Have you checked the cabin cam? The home is starting to take shape and assume the silhouette shown in our floor plan slideshow rendering.

Today, I’d like to share new photos snapped by project manager Dylan Eastman. I can’t wait to see that cupola, casting a soft glow on the south lawn.

• Posted at 6:40 pm on January 1, 2013

1. I can't stop looking through these pictures!!! Have I said "I WANT THIS HOME" lately???? hahaha I am sure everyone else says the same thing everyday. I have just fell in love with this house!!! How beautiful! The view of the porch has me mesmorized!!! I can sit and look at the ocean for hours upon hours!! You out did yourself DIY Team finding this little peace of paradise!!! Just spectacular!!! I LOVE THIS HOUSE!!! <3<3<3

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 9:39 am
    • It looks so nice at the BC, blue skys, it is hard to believe a storm is coming. But I know we always get "The Warm Before The Storm".

vicki_in_Utah on January 31, 2013 at 9:44 am
    • Vicki, Looking at the radar map, it looks like the storm has long gone past our BC. Another pretty mild day in NC, 55 degrees already. However, judging by the Terex tracks this morning, I think they might have seen a little rain overnight. Have a fantabulous day. :) :):) Did you notice how rough Core Sound is this morning, on the panoramic view, lots of white caps. ?

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 10:04 am
    • Good glad it went by. The ground there always looks damp to me.

vicki_in_Utah on January 31, 2013 at 10:20 am
    • Yes indeed! How are you today girly??? It is beautiful today.

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 2:24 pm
  2. Looks like there is another unhappy grinch around again, giving thumbs down to folks. :( :( Smile, Enjoy, Be Happy, even if you do not agree with us. !

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 10:08 am
    • Oh dear that is not nice.

vicki_in_Utah on January 31, 2013 at 10:19 am
    • Yes, I see someone gave a negative to me, SID, and Rebecca this morning. Someone out there does not like our comments, apparently. !

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 10:38 am
    • It must be someone that was not blogging, I only saw our regulars up blogging this morning, and I know none of us would give TD to anyone.

vicki_in_Utah on January 31, 2013 at 10:47 am
    • Well that is too bad because I will still keep posting what I think and what I like! haha I didn't even notice it though. I love the new choices! How about you Woodworker? How are you feeling today? I am actually having a good day today. Much Love!!! <3<3<3

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 2:22 pm
    • Rebecca, I am better today, once that cold front arrived. It was just the weather change that made me so sore yesterday. I still feel that "catch" in my hip, if I get up from a chair too quickly, so it will just take time. Alissa found out she had small pimple like bumps on the inside of her lower eyelid, causing that redness. The new doctor said she should have been given an anti- inflammatory med, instead of an antibiotic. I give her drops 4 times per day, as well as a hot compress 4 times per day.

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 3:23 pm
    • Fixed them! :) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 31, 2013 at 10:46 pm
    • This is what I have to say about it "Smile Be Happy" hahaha! Much Love Woodworker. :* Our nice little family right here make everyone feel welcome so I think someone just is miserable and likes to act like a child.

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 2:23 pm
    • I agree Rebecca, someone is having a really bad day, and did not agree with some of our ideas. Overall, folks doing the bloggin regularly, are really nice folks, and not real bossy, or demanding. That is water over the dam, and life goes on, to another bright sunny day at the Blog Cabin. I have pretty thick skin.

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 3:28 pm
  3. The master suite vote is up and ready to vote on. Some very nice things. A clawfoot tub ( I hope that wins) and a porch swing (I hope that wins). Just to name a few.

vicki_in_Utah on January 31, 2013 at 10:11 am
    • Ooooooh, a porch swing, just like I suggested . Hooray…………….:):):):)

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 10:40 am
    • I am so amazed!!! I love all of the choices!!! I want it all! hahaha How are you today?

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 2:19 pm
    • Have to disagree on the undermount sink and clawfoot tub. Thinking about the cottage being a vacation home reminds me that cleaning would be really low on my priority list. Both of those are going to require more upkeep. That was also my thought on the kitchen cabinet style… The more "spare" the design, the fewer nooks and crannies to clean. Still want it!

J Ripper on February 3, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    • cleaning is no big deal with my big family.

vicki_in_Utah on February 3, 2013 at 3:55 pm
    • I have undermount sinks and a clawfoot tub and they are both easy to clean.

zulumom on February 4, 2013 at 6:41 am
  4. Woo Hoo!! Check out the sign…….it's changed! maybe a hint to some of the stuff they've been doing on the back of the house??

karenlin91 on January 31, 2013 at 12:06 pm
  5. I LOVE ALL THE NEW CHOICES WE HAVE!!!! YES ROUND 3!!!! Can you tell I am excited??? haha This is going to be the most spectacular home I have ever seen!!!!! PARADISE!!!!!!!! I WANT THIS HOME!!!! hahahaa I know I know you do to! Design team you have selected some really nice things to chose from! I love them all but I know I must only chose one from each category :( . Good job design team!!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 2:17 pm
    • Rebecca, If you are the lucky new owner of this cottage, I think we will all have to sedate you, so you do not get too overwhelmed with this magnificent home. :) :):):):):):):)

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 3:30 pm
    • LOL, Woodworker! Very good one!!! The word for the day is: ENTHUSIASM! xD:pB) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 31, 2013 at 10:23 pm
    • LOL too funny! LIke I said I can dream and you KItty, if you win you have to invite me down too!!!! I am totally in love with this house. Who ever does get it is the luckiest person in the world because I definately would give anything for it! lol

Rebecca on February 1, 2013 at 7:53 am
    • Well I can dream because I never win anything!! haha I won't need sedation because I think I would just fall out all together!!!! If you get it you need to invite me down!!!!

Rebecca on February 1, 2013 at 7:52 am
    • I LOVE your enthusiasm, Rebecca! Those are, I think, mostly nice choices. I personally love single lever faucets–but NOT THAT one, which is, in my humble personal opinion yukky and way out contemporary and doesn't fit a classic Beach cabin. I love the clawfoot bathtub! The other tub is pretty, but I couldn't get in and out of it easily. I love and think the rustic beams on the MBR ceiling fit the CABIN STYLE Better, but it's not winning. The beautiful, fancy normal ceiling is. I think they made great list of choices, otherwise. If they would change the single lever I would vote for it, for that is more accessible for me with my neuropathy and arthritis. So, as usual, what is beautiful can also not exactly fit into what is more of a casual beach-style environment OR, the choices aren't necessarily handicap accessible. There's where it makes it hard to choose. Either way, this place is going to be awesome for someone–maybe for YOU :D !!!:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 31, 2013 at 10:44 pm
    • I don't know what I am going to do when this is over. I guess sit and wait for blog cabin 2014! HAHA

Rebecca on February 1, 2013 at 7:57 am
  6. Yea! The guys have sunshine to work in.
    I was disappointed at the only two choices for the master bedroom. This is a beach house! I had hoped for whitewashed wood walls and ceilings just like in the original house – that was so much a part of its character.
    Growing by leaps and bounds.

draftswoman on January 31, 2013 at 2:33 pm
    • Oh, I would have loved that choice too! I voted for the Rustic look, rather than the finished ceiling look, but am surprised about the leader. I believe voters forget the character of the structure for which they are voting, as you mentioned. Sigh.:|:) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 31, 2013 at 10:56 pm
  7. Yes, good job, great house. Thanks for the photos!

Leovida on January 31, 2013 at 5:48 pm
  8. I started my search from information on the DIY Blog Cabin website. The home was willed to Fannie’s sister Nadine, who passed the home to her daughter, Evelyn Clyde Harris, the most recent owner of Blog Cabin 2013 before DIY purchased the property. We also know that the city is Atlantic, NC. So with this information I found out that Atlantic is located in the county of Carteret. I went to the Carteret County web site and searched for tax records under the name of Evelyn Clyde Harris. I finally found her name on a prior tax year. This also gave me the actual address for the property, 448 Seashore Drive Atlantic, NC thus enabling me to search the most recent tax record by address. BINGO I found the property is now owned by Scripps Networks LLC. **** http://web2.mobile311.com/CarteretCard/default.as… ******
    With the address we can then go to an online map and see the property from a satellite view. The purple dot is where the cottage is located. ******* http://mapq.st/14tZJqr *********
    Hope you all enjoy visiting the location and seeing where the property is situated in relation to the cove and ocean. :)

chris50555 on January 31, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • Great work. Of course, all this information and more is already posted on the early blogs for this cabin. Look for those by Alicia who lived in the house until recently. ^_^ They're very informative.

AnniesOwn on January 31, 2013 at 9:38 pm
    • Thank you Annie, I will see if I can find them. I had no idea. Now I look quite silly. :$

chris50555 on January 31, 2013 at 10:05 pm
    • Not silly at all. You did a fantastic job. I don't think you were on the blog at the beginning so how could you possibly know. Stay and blog with us on the latest thread. ;)

AnniesOwn on January 31, 2013 at 11:08 pm
    • Annie I am planning on sticking around. As with most of the bloggers here I can see myself living in this wonderful cottage by the sea. That would be so awesome. <3 Of course would need to have an open house for the regular bloggers to come down and visit.

chris50555 on January 31, 2013 at 11:36 pm
  9. So glad we seem to all agree on the inside of bathroom .Love the sink and water handle ,Easy clean there and the tub is so cute .This is more fun than if i was lucky enough to win is just getting it ready. I really like having something to do.Love the swing seat on porch or chairs ,thats a flip for me i could and think others could enjoy either .Hope the weather is good for the workers and all have a Blessed night . I am wore out
    .Good job all :)

marylou sakosky on January 31, 2013 at 11:21 pm
    • I love the freestanding footed tub. My grandma had one in her house and I always loved it. This cottage by the sea will be awesome.

chris50555 on January 31, 2013 at 11:41 pm
  10. Did anyone notice today on the cabin cam that there was a new sign for us to read. It said Bath Crashers were here 1-31-13. I like <3 that the guys have a sense of humor and engage us fans.

chris50555 on January 31, 2013 at 11:39 pm