Jan 29

Reframing and Roofing Process

Blog Cabin 2013 Structural Framing

Exciting things are happening at the home site. Have you checked the cabin cam? The home is starting to take shape and assume the silhouette shown in our floor plan slideshow rendering.

Today, I’d like to share new photos snapped by project manager Dylan Eastman. I can’t wait to see that cupola, casting a soft glow on the south lawn.

• Posted at 6:40 pm on January 1, 2013

1. Did anyone notice the porch rafter tails were painted white, except for the ones at the media room deck floor?
    They are sheathing the porch roof and working hard today!

Grammagail on January 30, 2013 at 11:31 am
    • I saw the white tails last night, wondering the reason for that. Kinda looks like a primer of some sort. I cannot figure out why.

Woodworker from MN on January 30, 2013 at 11:59 am
    • Since those are going to be exposed, I would guess it is some sort of insect-prohibiter to ward off termites and boring bees.

Windsmurf on January 30, 2013 at 1:20 pm
    • And hopefully even interesting bees.

Windsmurf on January 30, 2013 at 1:34 pm
    • Good one! LOLB) You made my day Windsmurf!^_^xD:D

SID on January 30, 2013 at 2:28 pm
    • Sandy and all, LOL! LOL!! Blame the CARPENTERS!!! Bees, that is…xD:p They can make wood very holy, er holey? Full of holes…o.0:p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 30, 2013 at 10:58 pm
    • LOL Windsmurf. I am a little slow it took me a minute to get that.

vicki_in_Utah on January 30, 2013 at 2:40 pm
    • I figured it was primer of some sort and insect proof would be good as long as it is not toxic. As for the bees, boring or not, LOL, I am tired of chasing them here in Maine. They must love it in North Carolina! good for the garden and the grapes but not so good for porch settin'!

Grammagail on January 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm
  2. WOW I love the new pictures. A skylight in the masterbath will be sooooo nice! Oh not to mention the view from the porch. I can get lost just sitting and looking at the view. I see the guys are hard at work on the roof and are making a lot of progress!!! I just love it!!!!! DIY Teams you are amazing!!! Stay safe up on the roof guys! How is all my extended family bloggers today???? Much Love!! <3<3<3:*:*:*

Rebecca on January 30, 2013 at 11:55 am
    • Hi Rebecca! I'm enjoying the camera so much myself. Isn't the media room porch construction interesting – with all the roof angles? I can hardly wait to see them add the gable. I suspect there will be some stormy weather arriving tomorrow so the team may not be able to work. =/:( How will we ever entertain ourselves all day?:S

SID on January 30, 2013 at 2:36 pm
    • I know, I am so excited I can hardly wait to see what they have in store next!!! I guess we could just chat about life! haha I know I will be here just incase something happens on the cam! I know I don't want to miss anything! :p Much Love!!!! <3

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 9:30 am
    • Hi Rebecca. Just want to say HI,and hope all is well with you today. Getting cold here right now, 14 degrees, with strong NW winds of 18 MPH, with a low of -20 tonight. Brrrrrrr, throw a log on the heater.

Woodworker from MN on January 30, 2013 at 5:14 pm
    • Hey Woodworker!!! It was 68 degrees in DC yesterday, I couldn't believe it!!! That is why everyone is sick! Goes from 30's to 60's then back to 30's, it is crazy. How are you feeling today? Have you taken a rest like I suggested??? Much Love!!! <3<3

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 9:32 am
    • Hi Rebecca- Did you see the huge amount of votes cast so far….almost 300,000 ? That is terrific. Most of the things I voted for are coming true. I know there are lots of people who voted for the subway tile, but they will be pleasantly surprised with the end results of the mosaic tile. . On my backsplash project, I went with the conventional 1 1/2" square tile on the web backing, up to the top of the outlets, followed by a narrow horizontal band of 4 glass mosaic tile wide, then finished with the 1 1/2" tile. What a wonderful contrast, and it really sets off the kitchen. Even the kids loved the style. Hope all is well with everyone, and the storms did not hit our BC.

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 9:38 am
    • WOW that is a lot of votes. How are you feeling today?

Rebecca on February 1, 2013 at 8:02 am
  3. Wow! The workers have been very busy. Looks great!

Summer on January 30, 2013 at 12:10 pm
    • They are just amazing!! Don't blink, it's moving along so fast! Good job guys!!!! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 9:32 am
  4. Well I do love the rap a round porch. It will give it a more cozy fealing!
    But i'm supprised that The Blog Cabin 2013 is just a 2 bedroom home. I would have thought it would be a 3 Bedroom Home!!!!!!

asandmancan on January 30, 2013 at 1:12 pm
    • There is a Murphy bed in the media room upstairs.

Woodworker from MN on January 30, 2013 at 1:34 pm
    • And that would be fine for a gest, but not for a big family!!!

asandmancan on January 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm
    • Did you noticed they have mentioned a murphy bed in the media room and the recent pictures mentioned 2 large openings in the family room – one for a large door and the other for a murphy bed?

Barbara/Virginia on January 30, 2013 at 9:37 pm
    • Yeah and I was even thinking that the winner if need be could even turn the Foyer in to a Bedroom too if they want! I gess it depends on the winner. I just try to see all the possibillitys with each Blog Cabin. That's how I keep the dream alive!!! B)

asandmancan on January 30, 2013 at 10:16 pm
    • I have a small family so it is just perfect! It is definately a small home but so beautiful. The views are amazing!! Just someones private little paradise!! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 9:34 am
    • Well Mrs Rebecca, I cant argue with that. It dose have a nice view and from what i've seen it will look very nice! <3
      I have allways lived in tiny little houses, Thats why I think I Dream of the big spaceas Homes!!!
      But I have never won any thing in my life… So It can't hert to dream big right!!!!! xD

asandmancan on January 31, 2013 at 11:52 am
  5. P.S. ~ Dose any one know what the Sq Ft will be yeat???

asandmancan on January 30, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    • It's included in the info on the floor plans.

First Floor – 1220 square feet; first-floor decks, 489 square feet.
      Second floor, 841 square feet; second-floor deck, 50 square feet. :)

Early on (before they released this information) I did some crude estimates of the total floor area based on the size of the bricks and came out with 2100 sq ft. Isn't a little math wonderful. ;)

Clive on January 30, 2013 at 1:28 pm
    • Cool, Thank you!
      I must have mist it. I gess reading more could allways help!!! :S

asandmancan on January 30, 2013 at 1:46 pm
  6. Hey everyone, good morning! I've been wrestling a bug in my system the last week, but am feeling much better today. I was so happy to see the new pics, it really brightened my day! Love the sunroof! Absolutely love this location! And can't wait for the next voting to start. But, I'm curious, anyone know when we can start trying to win this thing?

Stephany on January 30, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    • July 29th. It's stated under Coming Attractions.

nmdeman on January 30, 2013 at 5:17 pm
    • Oh wow, not for a while, I'll be waiting with bated breath! It's weird, nothing comes up for me when I click on coming attractions, just a bunch of logos for sites, maybe cause I pull it up on my iPad? I don't know, but thanks for the info!

Stephany on January 31, 2013 at 2:03 pm
    • I am able to pull it up on my iPad, but I'm having to work through the voting process this round, as every time I go to People's Choice, I get an error message. Hope they get the bugs fixed!

nmdeman on February 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm
  7. Neat to see the house progressing. The view from the porch areas are great! Just hope they are screened in so one can enjoy them. I could sit there and enjoy the view for hours. Quite a contrast from the snow we are getting this morning. But both are beautiful in their own way. I do love experiencing the different seasons.

Hazelnut Deb on January 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm
  8. My North Carolina Coastal dream home.
    'nuf said!!

Fran McCauley on January 30, 2013 at 2:10 pm
    • Exactly!!!! <3 So beautiful what more can a person want!

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 9:04 am
  9. Hi, I am quite ignorant about building materials, etc…so besides the fun of voting, I love reading all the
    comments…learn so much! Thanx…and hoping since this is a cottage by the sea, the colors will be bright,
    light, airy, and coastal!! DIY does a wonderful job! :)

Ethel on January 30, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    • Yes they do and the colors that were picked everyone chose are very beautiful as well.

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 9:05 am