Jan 29

Reframing and Roofing Process

Blog Cabin 2013 Structural Framing

Exciting things are happening at the home site. Have you checked the cabin cam? The home is starting to take shape and assume the silhouette shown in our floor plan slideshow rendering.

Today, I’d like to share new photos snapped by project manager Dylan Eastman. I can’t wait to see that cupola, casting a soft glow on the south lawn.

• Posted at 6:40 pm on January 1, 2013

1. Things are moving right along. Everything is looking great. Love the idea of the sky light in the master bath. Can't wait to see the second floor porch off the family room. Can't wait to see it finished and go through the on line tour.

Noreen on January 30, 2013 at 3:35 am
    • Me too! Oh my goodness I am soooo excited! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 9:26 am
  2. It looks wonderful so far! Thanks for the update, Dylan and Mary!

MGYinSC on January 30, 2013 at 7:04 am
    • Just beautiful!

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 9:26 am
  3. The cottage is starting to show form and that is fun to watch! I'm glad to see that a sky light will be incorporated in the master bath. We have two sky lights and really enjoy the light that they bring into our home. Velux is a great choice, their flashing system is A 1 in quality. I am still hoping that the porch will be completely screened in. I would not want to be eaten up :-) alive during the hot months, especially in the evenings when its hot and muggy. I love the dock and wonder if Dylan will be using natural wood or other types of docking material when rebuilding it.

Heading South on January 30, 2013 at 9:08 am
    • Aren't sky lights wonderful ? That is a very nice surprise. Do you suppose they might sneak another one in somewhere? In a few of the DIY programs, they have installed automatically operated sky lights, with sensors that open and close when moisture is present, or open whenever the inside temp rises to a certain point, just like attic fans. :) That would be great choice for the louvers in the cupola.

Woodworker from MN on January 30, 2013 at 9:27 am
    • Hi Woodworker! :-) That would be great if they did sneak another one in somewhere. With condensation the sensors you mentioned would be a good option to add in. (Great idea!) Natural light gives a wonderful feel to interiors adding somewhat of an extension of the exteriors.

Heading South on January 30, 2013 at 3:40 pm
    • I was happily surprised with the sky light! I am so excited to see more!!! Much Love!! <3

Rebecca on January 31, 2013 at 9:27 am
    • Heading South, I am glad they are puting in a sky light this year and not he sun tubes or what ever they were in last years. With so many trees around this place, I think the light will be a little mutted which will be great.

I have been checking out docks on the web, it seems a lot of them are not made out of wood but aluminum,

vicki_in_Utah on January 30, 2013 at 10:33 am
    • Aluminum would be way too hot to walk on in that NC sun! Works great here in Maine but not down there.
      Some of the new composites would be great and last forever but expensive to replace if a hurricane decides to claim it. Wood works nicely at the water's edge and can be replaced more easily.

Grammagail on January 30, 2013 at 11:40 am
    • Composites are getting very reasonable, and there is no upkeep, making them cheaper than either cedar or redwood. Redwood is so expensive to get, if even available, and so is cedar. Composites are my choice, if I were to rebuild it.

Woodworker from MN on January 30, 2013 at 11:57 am
    • Thanks good to know.

vicki_in_Utah on January 30, 2013 at 12:52 pm
    • Hi Grammagail, you are right about aluminum….OUCH!!!! we would sure be doing a dance and quick jump into the water! LOL

Heading South on January 30, 2013 at 3:59 pm
    • Maybe aluminium frame with composite boards on top.

zulumom on January 31, 2013 at 6:38 am
    • Hi Vicki, :-) I agree, the natural lighting is better than the sun tubes. However the sun tubes work great if you need to go from a straight tube to a tube bend to an outside wall inorder for the light to bounce off the wall of the tubes and down to the room. It will be fun to see what they do with the dock. I was thinking of dual set of benches at the end so one can sit and fish, drink,…..eat…..dream…….. think, :-)

Heading South on January 30, 2013 at 3:50 pm
    • The house next door to the BC I noticed on their dock has a coverd thing for the boat I am guessing, but a place to hang out woud be so fun.

vicki_in_Utah on January 31, 2013 at 9:53 am
    • This is what we used on our dock. A relative who lives in NC recommended it. He used it on his big dock and it's excellent. I'm sure there are several other manufacturers. :)

Clive on January 30, 2013 at 1:32 pm
    • The compostie is great stuff, and you can turn the planks over, if you choose a smooth surface. The rough, groovy surface is best, to prevent slipping when it is wet. The composites come either totally solid, or with some hollow openings inside. Either kind is great, and very user friendly. Oh, no splitting or cracking, either.

Woodworker from MN on January 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm
    • Composite decking is the way to go for sure. It sustains itself so well, there would be minimal to no upkeep. With all the different palettes, one can choose from a natural palette to a deep color. I was thinking of a bedford grey to grey blue color.

Heading South on January 30, 2013 at 3:56 pm
    • wow very nice Clive.

vicki_in_Utah on January 31, 2013 at 9:54 am
  4. Mary and Dylan, thank you for the update and the great pictures. It s very exciting to see the actual work being done to create this great master piece. I love the placement of windows and the light shining in. DIY Team, You are all so talented. Keep up the good work!!! Becky^_^<3

bythebaydreamer on January 30, 2013 at 9:18 am
  5. Gail, Now I see the pile of fir 2X4's to the left of the well. When I opened the cabin cam, it did not show that far leftt, until I moved the image to the left. Mmmmmmmmmmm, something is going to happen with those 2X4's. Do you suppose, and I am just guessing, that they might be deciding a nice insulated lighthose to cover the well, like I suggested one time ? Whatever they are building out of the old 2X4's will be a nice surprise. If it is, indeed, a lighthouse, it should be large enough to get inside, to remove the top portion in case of well problems , along with a nice flower garden like Jennie suggested. Now, we just have to remember to scan left every day, so we do not miss any action to the left of the normal camera view. :) :):)

Woodworker from MN on January 30, 2013 at 9:55 am
    • Hey Gail, Did you see the two swings that are just to the left of that large tree? I caught them when I was zooming in on the pile of lumber you asked about. Looks like there are even a few 2X6's in that pile. This is great fun. :)

Woodworker from MN on January 30, 2013 at 10:01 am
    • Fun to watch, I agree! Maybe they really are going to build a lighthouse over the well. I saw the swings when I first explored the property and before any building. I have been hoping they would keep them.

Grammagail on January 30, 2013 at 10:08 am
    • Even a lighthouse with a hinged top, for easy access. :)

Woodworker from MN on January 30, 2013 at 10:40 am
    • It does look like it is going to be something tall, I hope you are rigght.

vicki_in_Utah on January 30, 2013 at 11:16 am
    • Maybe an outhouse?:p

Windsmurf on January 30, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    • Good one!!!! LOL:D

Grammagail on January 30, 2013 at 6:32 pm
    • I haven't been able to find the swing, every time I try to look I get a "camera busy" message. I will keep trying.

vicki_in_Utah on January 30, 2013 at 11:16 am
    • Vicki, The swings are in the trees just behind the lumber pile. Just plain old rope swings in the trees. If they leave them they might replace the ropes? LOL

Grammagail on January 30, 2013 at 11:45 am
  6. I just love clicking on the camera every morning to see the progress. the skylight is a super touch. This location is breathtaking.

flashy on January 30, 2013 at 10:09 am
  7. Now this is my kinda place. My kinda home. No gated community. No HOAs. Just able to enjoy the simple pleasures and private enjoyment of the surroundings. Well perhaps the airport traffic……. Easy access to I 95. What's not to love. Spanking new construction. Up to code. Even if you return to not providing the furnishings for the blog cabin winner….. this place is a keeper. Mama likey.

Ashtabulannie on January 30, 2013 at 10:18 am
    • Second that motion on no HOA or gated community!

Grammagail on January 30, 2013 at 11:42 am
    • Ditto from this end too. I have lived in the country all my life, so I know what the country life style is all about. Anyone would love to live in this house year round, not just a vacation home. This is far too nice a home to just visit during a vacation. Being such a big fan of gardening and lawn care, I would have a ball, cutting the lawn, and taking care of all the flowers. MMMM………………I can already smell the ocean air.:)

Woodworker from MN on January 30, 2013 at 11:53 am
    • One of the earlier blog threads made it clear this is not ocean, but I believe the Core Sound water would be quite brackish and so should smell very much like ocean air.;) I am with you, if I were so fortunate as to win, I would live there full time.

Windsmurf on January 30, 2013 at 1:32 pm
    • I found the exact location of the home. Yes it sits on the inner bank on the cove but the ocean is just on the other side of the inner bank. Let me see if I can find the links and post them. I also found the address, and property tax bill. ;)

chris50555 on January 31, 2013 at 6:17 pm
    • Grammgail, Pretty funny about the gated community.Timely comment at dream home blog.Stayed with friends who live in a triple gated community. THREE GATES!!! (what the heck are they afraid of?) Wanted to send flowers as a thank you for hospitality and florist could not deliver them.It was horrible.Cameras everywhere.Security guards driving around harassing you while simply taking a walk.REALLY???Our hosts hate it there.Constant complaints about minutia regarding something as noxious as a dandelion in their lawn.And yes they can put a lien on your property.Totally over the top. But they can be a good thing. But I really don't have a problem with a rusty old car on cinder blocks sitting in the front yard.

Ashtabulannie on January 30, 2013 at 12:12 pm
  8. Ok I have a question, (my last one got sent to time out so I will be careful this time) with all the talk about bugs, Is there a lot of bugs there? I thought since that was sea water there would not be so many bugs.

vicki_in_Utah on January 30, 2013 at 10:36 am
    • Hi Vicki, I think there are many insect pests there. Others have mentioned it. Proximity to water doesn't seem to help. I live on an island in the Great Lakes and we have pleanty of those critters, flying, crawling and BITING. Even out on the lake there are black flies! Ouch!! Pat

Pat Green on January 30, 2013 at 4:33 pm
    • I had the same thought about the bugs regarding the sea water. I'm from Northern Michigan and I've noticed when I'm near the Great Lakes, I'm not bothered by the bugs so much. However, my aunt went on vacation last year on mid Lake Michigan and said the black flies were terrible.

nmdeman on January 30, 2013 at 5:14 pm
    • First, I really want to know how your son is, along with you and family. I know it's frustrating to not be able to get to him due to roads and weather; I continue to ask for God's tender intervention, several times a day! Now, to answer your question about bugs: YES,Vicki, there are bugs, including mosquitoes. There are also the daylight-biting Tiger Mosquitoes that can carry the equine encephalitis. Screens are necessary in the Mid-Atlantic! Citronella candles are minimal help, as are sprays.Just because there are sea breezes or porch fans does not mean mosquitoes turn and fly away–it's simply like shooing a fly away. If they decide to come back, they do. I don't know about the town of Atlantic, NC, but many cities in affected regions are monitored and standing waters are treated against hatching larvae. I don't like having to say all of this, but I live in the Mid-Atlantic and by the sea so I have to be level about it. Screens, I don't use Deet, Skin So Soft doesn't work for me–sigh–and skeeters love and find me in a crowd. yup, I'm one of those… :( <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 30, 2013 at 10:38 pm
    • Thanks Kitty for the prayers. Tom is not doing too good. He is going in for more surgery in the morning. Then they are lifeflightying (if that is a word) him down to the hospital by us.

Thanks for the info about the bugs. One of my daughters worked in the everglades and she said the bugs loved skin so soft and any other bug spray LOL I always really like a screened in porch. So I hope they add one.

vicki_in_Utah on January 30, 2013 at 11:51 pm
    • I'm familiar with that style of flying emergency patients to a hospital that can better render the services the patient needs. How is Tom's breathing? I am assuming he is receiving oxygen , but was so concerned from his strongly struggling for it yesterday. My heartfelt prayers and support for you, Hubby, all your large Family. I'm praying specifically that any infection from ruptured appendix be annihilated and about the item blockage found behind lung. Is this your son who is young Oliver's dad, by any chance? I think of darling Oliver a lot and what a wonderful fighter he is and how God made him grow big and strong from a teeny little pip squeek preemie!! ^_^:)<3Hold onto the Greatest Healer,Our Lord and God.,.Much loving thoughts and prayers <3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 31, 2013 at 12:12 am
    • Hi Kitty, Yes Tom is on oxygen has been for over a week now. I am sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear how the surgery went. Then Saturday they are bringing him to Cedar. No he is not Olivers dad, He is his Uncle. Oliver is dong great you would never now he was a little 3# primee. Tom was a framer, but when the housing marked took a dive, he became a cross country truck driver. All his brothers and sisters are going to try to talk him into going back to building houses with his other brothers. LOL a little safer. Except for the time he stapled his foot to the roof. Thank you for all your kind words and prayers.

vicki_in_Utah on January 31, 2013 at 10:04 am
    • Thank you, Vicki, for the update. My heart continues upholding your Tom and Family! With hugs to you and much love and prayers, Kitty <3

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 31, 2013 at 11:13 pm
    • I am sure there are lots of bugs, just like we have in MN. We have huge mosquitos, horseflies, deer flies, along with tons of biting flies, and gnats. I can tolerate it, just use softner sheets in my back pocket, and take B-12 vitamins every day.

Woodworker from MN on January 31, 2013 at 10:44 am
    • Hey, Vicki, sorry to hear you have a family illness. Best wishes.
      Boy, you're gone a couple of days and it's a different world around here – there's so much to look at. I stopped here because I didn't understand what you meant about "time out".
      And yeah, it's hot and buggy! (I don't mean now.)

draftswoman on January 31, 2013 at 2:38 pm
    • Hi draftswoman, there are some words you type and it sends your post to time out. one is s h o e s.
      I have no idea what word I used that time.

vicki_in_Utah on January 31, 2013 at 3:18 pm
    • Wow! You don't mean profanity, right? I thought you were joking at first. Then I guess we can't discuss the pitch of the roof?? Strange. Luckily there is all good stuff to discuss – much work has been done and there is new voting after a dry spell with no updates.

draftswoman on January 31, 2013 at 5:51 pm
    • Can't use the word 'phar…macy' either. o.0

Clive on January 31, 2013 at 9:40 pm
    • Oh, I'm sorry. I must have strayed into another country.

draftswoman on February 1, 2013 at 6:22 pm
  9. Woohoo, new thread, new pics, new info…. love it, love it, LOVE IT!!!!! Now when does the new vote start?

Mimitheminer on January 30, 2013 at 10:39 am
  10. Is this the last day for the kitchen vote? I thought it was yesterday.

vicki_in_Utah on January 30, 2013 at 10:58 am
    • Yes, today is the last day for the kitchen vote. Tomorrow we start voting on the master suite. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

nmdeman on January 30, 2013 at 5:19 pm