Jan 18

Friday Construction Update

Blog Cabin 2013 Reconstructed Staircase

According to project manager Dylan Eastman, the construction crew at the Blog Cabin 2013 home site completed wall framing and sheathing, poured footings for the porch and began deck framing and interior stair construction this week.

Next week, the team will focus on main roof framing, a task that will transform this charming little cabin.

• Posted at 9:00 am on January 1, 2013

1. I'm glad the stairs have been given a more graceful ascent/ descent, even if it's at the cost of the cabin's quirkiness. I would not have wanted to use the old set before a morning cup of coffee or can you imagine trying to run down them to shut windows in a rain storm at night?
    I love that the before picture shows the previous owners used an antique iron for a door stop, it's how I use my gramma's old irons too.
    For all blogging northerners, in the Piedmont of NC we had about two to three inches of snow and schools and day cares were delayed 2 hours or cancelled in some districts. It all melted- high was a chilly 43? but the snow didn't make it far enough east to the blog cabin. :)

Lia_M on January 19, 2013 at 12:41 am
    • Yes it has been a mild winter so far it seems at the cabin which is very good. At least they will be getting to the roof next week and before long it won't really matter because they can work inside. These guys are amazing and the house is just to beautiful for words.

Rebecca on January 19, 2013 at 5:35 pm
  2. Keep up the good work. great people. good job

PEO Networking on January 19, 2013 at 8:34 am
    • Yes they seem to be hard workers and are doing a GREAT job. It is hard to move away from my laptop. lol

Rebecca on January 19, 2013 at 5:31 pm
  3. Good morning bloggie:)
    I am so happy they DIY are keeping up the excellent communication with this home.
    I have not read any of the comments yet today but I just voted on the kitchen. They had good choices. I was disappionted in the tiles selection so far by vote-the multi-colored tiles. I voted for the white subway tiles as that fit with my vision of whites,possible blues, coastal,beachy theme. Also, I like how simple and clean they look and they certainly are classic. Where the multi-colored tiles while very nice will eventually look dated and they are busy looking to me. They are great in the right place:) The other item I was surprised by the vote was the raised cabinets-I chose the shaker style-again more simple and clean looking. I think the raised panels look so 70-80's but that is my opinion. It will all come together in the end. I know I want simple and clean and very little care:) I will be entertaining and having fun-very busy:)! Now I will go and read all the comments so far:) Have a good day and don't forget to vote

ruffybc on January 19, 2013 at 11:58 am
    • The tile vote is for style not color.:)

AnniesOwn on January 19, 2013 at 1:03 pm
    • I agree shaker cabinets are more cottage coastal

zulumom on January 19, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    • I was voting for subway tile originally, but I reminded myself we voted on the coastal cool color scheme, so hopefully the glass mosaic with the coastal colors will be reminiscent of beach glass…. would be nice if they could get a tumbled glass look, that would really be beachy…..

Mimitheminer on January 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm
    • I agree subway tile is timeless and your accent colors in kitchen can be changed and not fight with it. Shaker cabinets are def the way to go for clean beachy look.

Rainy on January 27, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    • Unfortunately, it appears the voter decisions seem set in stone already and Subway and Shaker–the more logical and versatile picks have been left in the dust! :( :S Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 27, 2013 at 7:29 pm
    • so sad, they were my choices and I had hope at least for the cabinets.

zulumom on January 28, 2013 at 6:46 am
    • Isn't it sad? At least, maybe they will decide upon a cool sea related glass color for the mosaic tile, instead of that multicolor? :S Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 28, 2013 at 12:58 pm
  4. Good Saturday Morning to All. No sign of any workers, wonder if they are taking the Holiday Weekend off..If so, They Certainly Deserve it, they have worked so hard the last few weeks, but we will Miss them and all the activity…What will we do for entertainment this weekend??
    An observation—It looks dark on the first floor, so they must have all the walls up and ceilings…What is it going to look like once the porch roof is on?? Dark inside!!! That's OK, I know who ever wins this place will be glad to adjust…I'm sure! I would like to have that chance to deal with the "problems" one might have..I just Love this Cottage, the Land and the Fantastic Views..But I don't Love bugs, so I'm still wishing for a screened porch !!!! Do you think they will surprise us with that? Yes……I'm thinking Positive!
    I hope Everyone is nice and warm during this Arctic cold wave…It's 72 here today with small rain bans coming in from the east..Just enough rain to keep me from cutting my grass, Smile!!! Oh Heck!!! Like I really wanted to cut my grass! ……..Have a "Great Holiday Weekend" and be safe!!

Jennie/Florida on January 19, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    • Jennie, it could be just the angle of the sun right now, making it appear dark, My guess is that they do not have all the window openings cut out, yet. The one room upstairs still does not have the window opening removed, either. Isn't it boring, when we do not have people working during the weekend?? I have no feeling one way or the other, for screening the porch. In Minnesota, we have our share of insects, if not more than any place in the U.S., so bugs are just taken for granted, Just put a fabric softner sheet in your back pocket, of take Vitamin B-12 tabs every day. :) Personally, I like sitting on an open deck, enjoying the scenery and birds. As soon as I move there (dreaming ahead), I would build a bunch of my log-cabin birdfeeders, so the birds are happy. Since I started my woodworking business over 20 years ago, I have shipped my birdfeeders to 19 states. I even have some in Florida. They are quite large, over 24" long, 16" tall, and totally resemble a log-cabin, complete with porch, shutters, and windows. Since we adopted the 4 children, I had to put most of my woodworking equipment in storage, for fear they might start things, and get hurt real bad.

Woodworker from MN on January 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm
    • Wow, Woodworker, do you have a web page? As for screens, I definitely think we need them as so many new problems are being transmitted by mosquitoes. Like you I don't have much trouble with bugs but I don't like being driven in at sunset. I used to sit on the porch on a Maine lake and sing lullabys I made up for my sons as they drifted off to sleep after a full day of swimming, fishing, running, jumping and just being boys. without those screens I never could have stayed out there that long never mind singing with black flies and mosquitoes flying down my throat! LOL

grammagail on January 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm
    • No Gail, I do not have a webpage. I have had so much demand I do not need to advertise anymore, just strictly word of mouth. I donated some to different organizations, for their fundraisers and even a public garden by a lake. Once the word got out, I could not build them fast enough. We started out real small, with my Dad and I going to a local flea market. We totally sold out that first day, and took lots of orders. After that we thought, "Perhaps we have something people like", and off the the races we went. Holidays have been the busiest times. At Christmas time, I had to work until midnight every single night, and still had to turn people down. My father was my biggest salesman, delivery person, and gopher.

Woodworker from MN on January 19, 2013 at 8:26 pm
    • Gail… You are so Funny, I was just picturing the setting with you singing to your boys and was stopped by mosquitoes buzzing in your face and one going down the Slide…Sorry I couldn't help that….LOL
      But I have to say you were a very good Mother to sing lullabys to your boys..I made up my on lullabys to sing to my girls and they liked them so much they would say Mom please sing us that song you sang the other night about the Princess and her little Kitty… well three or four nights ago was a long time to remember something I just made up, so I struggled with that one, but I learned my lesson after a while…Stick with the originals!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 19, 2013 at 9:59 pm
    • Jennie, I made up a lullaby for each boy so they each had their own and then there were a couple about the lake, loons, etc. They would ask for them and I used to love saying excuse me I have to go sing to the boys. Out I'd go and rock on the porch and sing. Absolutely the very best time of the day! This cottage presents the same opportunity for grandchildren I think.

grammagail on January 19, 2013 at 11:18 pm
    • I would love to see some photos of your Log Cabin "Bird feeders" ..I have 1/2 acre of land and I have bird feeders all over the property…Bird watching is one of my favorite pastimes…Are you familiar with the Painted Buntings??? I had them on my Patio feeder this Morning..The female is Chartreuse green and the male is C/green, Royal blue and bright Orange-red..small little birds and they are so beautiful. They're in the Cardinal Family…Google them to see how exciting they are…I would love to see your feeders. Maybe someone on here can tell you how to get your photos on here so we can see them, that would be great…Can't wait…
      I don't know if you have read any of Alicia's comments, but She grew up in the Cottage and she said the Mosquitoes were REALLY bad there and that was why they had a Screened Porch…Those little pest can cause death..Have you heard of the West Nile Virus..They carry that and people here
      in Florida have died from it. Better to be safe than sorry…I'd say…They love me, every time I'm in the yard, I get stung or bit and I have bug spray on…Some people they don't bother, but think about the children who will live there or visiting, why take a chance? There is more than one type of Mosquito…
      I'm campaigning for a Screened in porch..For Good Health and Safety, for all who lives there or visits the Little Cottage…And for our four legged little Friends tooo!!!! Yes and I Have a Dream, That one Day
      I Will live in this Cozy Little Cottage by the Water, Without any Bugs on the Screened in Porch!! Smile! Have a Warm Evening by the Fire with Your Lovely Family, Woodworker!!

Jennie/Florida on January 19, 2013 at 9:20 pm
    • Jennie, so nice to hear from you this morning. If someone knows a way to put a photo on here, I will gladly do it. Otherwise, I will need an e-mail address. When I feel safe keeping my woodworking tools out, I will start building once again. Since we adopted the four children, I stopped my woodworking, except for installing our new laminate flooring, and putting in new baseboards, trim, etc., or anything that requires power tools. Right now, it looks like it will be a couple more years. I will not take a chance until they get older. Enjoy your warm weather.

Woodworker from MN on January 20, 2013 at 9:57 am
    • Have you seen the Birds I was talking about…The Painted Buntings???

Jennie/Florida on January 20, 2013 at 1:09 pm
    • No Painted Buntings this far north, as far as I know. At least I have never seen one. We have just about everything else, Grosbeaks, yellow finches, bluejays, brown thrashers, and those little ground feeders, Juncos, that clean up under the feeders. I feed the birds all the time, and love watching them from our deck. Oh, we also have many, many geese, Mallard ducks, Sand Hill cranes, Blue Cranes, etc. etc.. In the one large platform feeder, I put in just about anything, and between the birds and squirrels, they will eat anything. I call them our feathered garbage disposal, 'cause they will eat anything.

Woodworker from MN on January 20, 2013 at 2:20 pm
  5. The stairs look much better, but still a little steep. Could be the angle of the camera shot.

Sharon on January 19, 2013 at 12:26 pm
  6. I also liked the fixed counter top. The only wish is that the kitchen could still have a pantry!!!!

Sharon on January 19, 2013 at 12:28 pm
  7. It looks like the local Atlantic, NC market could also use some serious DIY attention: http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/

DBCoop on January 19, 2013 at 12:43 pm
    • Here's another establishment the winner may wish to check out.

Clive on January 19, 2013 at 1:28 pm
    • Perhaps I could remodel this building, and reopen my woodshop in NC. Never can tell, someone has to win, :)

Woodworker from MN on January 19, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    • Or you could buy it cheap after I win BC and you could move in to make your birdhouses. I'll be over to get some!

grammagail on January 19, 2013 at 7:52 pm
    • Gail, perhaps you could remodel it, then rent it to me. You can be my sales lady, when you come to visit our family at 448 Seashore Drive. PS: I guess it is okay to dream, correct ? :) The owner of that old building might even give it away, since it is such rough shape.

Woodworker from MN on January 19, 2013 at 8:17 pm
    • Looks like a small Maine town! I'm beginning to love this place more and more!

grammagail on January 19, 2013 at 7:53 pm
    • I have bought many $ worth of hardware,food and gas from that store.They had a little of everything.

Tonysealeveler on January 20, 2013 at 12:03 am
  8. Hey guys, new thread, cool! I have been having trouble doing my voting today. I am getting the error you guys were getting the other day Error 404. I am happy with all the progress they have made on the cabin. I agree that the roof will definately give the house some charm and start to really take shape. Much Love

Rebecca on January 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm
    • Try a different browser…

Rainy on January 27, 2013 at 2:51 pm
  9. Good afternoon everyone.

Nebraska on January 19, 2013 at 4:46 pm
    • good afternoon

Rebecca on January 19, 2013 at 5:28 pm
    • Hi Charlotte, I have missed your comments….I hope you are feeling better!! Have you been able to eat any better and gained some weight?? I sure hope so…I think about you and wonder if your OK…..Hope you haven't had anymore falls…That was a scare for all of your Blogging Buddies! Please take care and have a nice Holiday weekend with your Family. Please keep us posted, We Care!!

Jennie/Florida on January 19, 2013 at 7:33 pm
    • No gain yet. They threatened feeding tube- or do Ensure (lots of ENSURE). But no malignancy either in tummy or nodes. I woke up hungry a couple of mornings.

Nebraska on January 23, 2013 at 10:29 am
    • "Great News" Charlotte, I'm so happy for you..Now it's time to start on a good Healthy food plan…..
      Ensure is good…I find I can add so many healthy things to a salad and it becomes a great meal…
      Look at Food Magazines and they should make you hungry… try to have at least 5 small meals a day until you gain some weight..I'm rooting for you..Please keep us posted on your Progress, We care!

Jennie/Florida on January 23, 2013 at 8:44 pm
    • I eat small meals anyway- thats the trick to staying slim. I just had NO appetite for months.

Nebraska on January 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm
    • That's wonderful news there, Charlotte! Is there anything that you like to eat that you might eat more of, such as ice cream or fruit, to bring up your weight to a healthier level? Well, I know it's cold in Omaha but ice cream, if you lice the flavor and can tolerate the smoothness might be more appetizing? We're always happy for you to pop in on the blog! I like Jennie's idea about making a salad more substantial with veggies, dairy and protein, such as adding other vegetables to it, making it hearty and really nutritious and calorically high too. Just please, don't ever get frustrated and give up! You are very special! <3^_^xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 24, 2013 at 12:25 am
    • The doctor also suggested drinking beer and eating ice cream- apparently one of her patients came in with his wife and didn't know why he gained 30 pounds. The wife said I do- its the beer and ice cream…….

Nebraska on January 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm
    • Well, there it is! Nice selection for you… Please take care of yourself. I would so happily give you some of my extra weight! :) I also have low appetite, but I also have low thyroid, low metabolism and, on top of that, severe gastroparesis (autonomic neuropathy-caused slow digestion). I would LOVE to shed my extra pounds, so much so, I'd serve 'em up on a silver platter if I could! Stay well and keep getting stronger~ Spring isn't too far off! ^_^<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 24, 2013 at 6:30 pm
    • 110 this AM.

Nebraska on January 26, 2013 at 9:11 am
    • That sounds good, Nebraska,

vicki_in_Utah on January 26, 2013 at 9:29 am
    • It sounds better than I was imagining—I've been scared that you were getting down into the 90's and we need you to pump up that weight and strength for your own good! I watched Shark Tank on ABC TV last night and they featured 2 ladies from Omaha who started "the Cremery" there. Do you know the place? They didn't get an investor from the Tank, due to the individualization and customization of their ice creme–but hey, that may be what you need, All Sharks loved the individuality, but questioned the logistics. The Owners make each batch the way the customer wants it!!! YUM! Sounds perfect for you! Check it out? :) :*<3 Stay well, Charlotte! I care! ^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 26, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    • Have not heard of it. I will check them out.

Edit. They are 4 blocks from me!

Nebraska on January 28, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    • Cool!!! Er, COLD! :D Well, if they can do what i understood by their promo on Shark Tank, YOU can pretty much invent your own DREAM FLAVORS! How's that for helping put on some helpful strength and weight? ;) :p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 28, 2013 at 5:26 pm
  10. I can't stop looking at the cam and the pictures. I keep trying to vote but I guess it will be fixed soon. How is everyone's weekend going?

Rebecca on January 19, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    • Rebecca, how are you being blocked from voting? Do you get in for one vote? If so, don't push the vote again button. Go to the main page and click on the people's choice picture of the kitchen to get back in. It keeps the right count on your votes and lets you vote again. It has me wondering if someone is messing with the voting programming. Did someone say they had problems before with that? You have to get in by the link on the people's choice thread for round two or clicking on that picture on the main page. Hope this helps you!

grammagail on January 19, 2013 at 7:34 pm
    • Great, thanks grammagail, I have not been able to vote at all since Friday. I will try and hopefully it will help. I have never gotten that before until this weekend.

Rebecca on January 20, 2013 at 7:17 am
    • Thanks grammagail it worked!! I had to go out to the picture of the kitchen each time to vote. I think your right something is not right with the voting.

Rebecca on January 20, 2013 at 7:43 am
    • Rebecca- I only had trouble the first day, Since then all is quite normal with voting, Hope you do not have it as cold as we do in MN. The temp dropped from 35.6 degrees at 2:00 PM, down to only 7 degrees at 6:00 PM., as that nasty northwest wind came roaring through. Gusts over 30 miles per hour, with lows of -15 below zero tonight, and a HIGH on Monday forecasted at -12 degrees below zero. Yes, it is nasty right now, with lots of blowing and drifting snow. Aaaah, to be in NC right now. :) :):)

Woodworker from MN on January 19, 2013 at 8:46 pm