Jan 18

Friday Construction Update

Blog Cabin 2013 Reconstructed Staircase

According to project manager Dylan Eastman, the construction crew at the Blog Cabin 2013 home site completed wall framing and sheathing, poured footings for the porch and began deck framing and interior stair construction this week.

Next week, the team will focus on main roof framing, a task that will transform this charming little cabin.

• Posted at 9:00 am on January 1, 2013

1. I like the way that the stairs was redone , they are not as steep and they look more safe .

Elmer Rhoten on January 18, 2013 at 4:48 pm
  2. Looks like the floor joists for the upstairs deck are beiing installed under the media room door this afternoon. The black membrane for the wall ledger upstairs is also in place. The deck joists are essential, to support the roof of the media room, which also interlocks with the rest of the upstairs roof assembly. Soon, the porch rafters can connect to the upstairs wall ledger, and the rim joist along the tops of the poles. Those rim joists and wall ledgers sure are nice big material. :) Just be patient, the structure work has to be done, before the roof rafters can be added. :) :)

Woodworker from MN on January 18, 2013 at 4:49 pm
  3. Nice to be getting more updates and pictures this year. Thanks. I'm going to try voting now. Yesterday it wouldn't let me vote. I'm enjoying today before the arctic cold hits.

Hazelnut Deb on January 18, 2013 at 5:07 pm
  4. well almost 100% for the kitchen items, the only one not ahead was the dining room light fixture…is that a formal dining room or is that an extension of the kitchen?? I love the backsplash that is ahead, that is really beautiful!!! I want that in my kitchen!!

maria_w_in_nj on January 18, 2013 at 6:25 pm
  5. Just a question this evening. Does anyone know whether the stove will be electric, or gas. Is natural gas available in this area? If so, it is a pretty cheap source for cooking, heating, clothes drying, and water heater. We have natural gas, and our costs are dramatically lower than those with propane or all electric. Natural gas is pretty abundant in this country, and becoming more availabe every day, especially with the boom in oil exploration.

Woodworker from MN on January 18, 2013 at 8:44 pm
    • No NG here.Propane is the best around here.At least I could cook after Hurricane Isabel (had some neighbors to feed because they lost their house to water)and Irene.

Tonysealeveler on January 19, 2013 at 11:20 pm
    • Tony, thanks for the note. Has there ever been any talk about possibly putting solar panels on the roof? That would be nice, and help with the electric bill. In one house, I installed a heat pump, and that really reduced our heat bill by a bunch. Heat pumps are really expensive, initially, but reduces the need for fossil fuels.. We went from 4-5 tanks of LP every winter, to only about 125-135 gallons per winter. Our neighbor had the same results, only 125 gallon all winter. :)

Woodworker from MN on January 20, 2013 at 9:45 am
    • I like the idea of solar panels. I am also hoping for a wood burning fireplace. One that is more efficient than the original one. I vacation in the outer banks just north of Ocracoke Island and the salt in the air seems to corrode heat pumps quickly. Does anyone know how residents deal with this?

Larree on January 22, 2013 at 9:11 pm
    • I concur, thx "woodworker from MN" for the query, we're on propane and it gets pricey.

LRLM on January 20, 2013 at 1:12 pm
  6. Mary, Thank you for the update. I love the new stairs. They look much safer than the former set. I am so excited! :) <3

bythebaydreamer on January 18, 2013 at 9:11 pm
  7. The new stairs look wonderful! Congrats on another job well done! Bravo!

Mindy_Lou on January 18, 2013 at 9:24 pm
    • I agree!

Rebecca on January 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm
  8. The new stairs don't fit the definition of the former ones : "THE JUMP", which is a good thing. Hopefully the former sign was salvaged and will don the walls leading to or from the staircase, a reminder of the history of the house. This coastal cabin is going to be awesome! :) <3

bythebaydreamer on January 18, 2013 at 11:23 pm
    • Wouldn't it be great if that old sign, "The Jump", could be encased in clear resin, so it will last forever, hanging on some wall near the new winding staircase?

Woodworker from MN on January 18, 2013 at 11:53 pm
    • or maybe just to frame it and let it b r e a t h e! Ahhhh fresh sea air!

Pat Green on January 19, 2013 at 11:30 am
  9. Mary and Dylan, Please do not leave out the fireplace and mantel. I would much rather have a wood burning fireplace then a gas log or gas fireplace. Those of us who have had the opportunity to sit in front of a wood burning fireplace know how wonderful it is. The mantel in the Robinson cabin was an important part of the cabin's "beachy" charm and its history. It should be in the new blog cabin. Becky ^_^<3

bythebaydreamer on January 18, 2013 at 11:31 pm
    • Well said,Becky. Ah, I well remember the flaming heat on a chilly evening; the perfume of maple and hickory logs; and the crack and snap of the burning embers! Gas logs don't even come close to replicating that!:p:(

SID on January 19, 2013 at 9:36 am
  10. Just an observation on the porches and balcony. I'm fully in favor of no railings on the first floor porch, however, I see no railing included on the second floor balcony either. Maybe 'The Jump' sign can be affixed somewhere up there? ;) I know in my youth my sister and I would have defintely attempted it (many times). ^_^

Clive on January 19, 2013 at 12:06 am
    • Clive, I have been wondering the same thing. Isn't it amazing what we tried when we were still "immortal"?:)

grammagail on January 19, 2013 at 12:11 am
    • I'm still ready to attempt to fly. The problem now is that I'm more aware of the consequences. However, the greatest joy, fear and need to let go I can think of is watching my kids attempt the same things and letting them do it – without advice! :) <3

Clive on January 19, 2013 at 2:31 am
    • Lessons in learning the consequences of their own actions! It doesn't get any better than that!

grammagail on January 19, 2013 at 10:33 am
    • Too funny!

Lia_M on January 19, 2013 at 12:27 am
    • :o :D:D!

SID on January 19, 2013 at 9:38 am
    • Oh my gosh that is so funny. My daddy use to tell me when I was young how he put a towel around his neck and jumped off grannys barn trying to be superman. lol He only received a broken arm from what he says but I dont know sometimes I joke and tell daddy I think he bumped his head a bit too. lol

Rebecca on January 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm
    • ^_^

SID on January 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm
    • I believe that at as long as the lower porch deck does not exceed 24 inches, no railing is required. I guess we will all have to watch, and see what they are going to do. I do not know what the code is for an upper balcony, for safety purposes. A glass barrior might be nice. :)

Woodworker from MN on January 19, 2013 at 6:37 pm
    • Ooooo, I like that idea of glass! It would also allow a nice water view if sitting down in the media room.

grammagail on January 19, 2013 at 7:24 pm
    • Gail you will be a fried gramma if they put a glass barrier on the upper balcony. In the summertime when that sun from the East is beaming on that glass and you are on the balcony enjoying the view,
      It would be like you were under a magnifing glass…I don't know what kind of glass they would use
      but I can't see how you wouldn't cook…I gets hot in NC, in the summertime too.. Just My Thoughts!

Jennie/Florida on January 19, 2013 at 10:51 pm
    • My comment jumped all over the place, don't know why!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 19, 2013 at 10:52 pm
    • You are probably right, Jennie. I have been in Maine too long and that has made me a heat seeker. LOL Enjoy the sunny morning! We actually climbed one degree above freezing so far.

grammagail on January 20, 2013 at 10:18 am
    • Jennie, The glass railing are open at the bottom, for air flow, and the normal railing height. They are made from tempered glass and quite thick. They are just like a regular deck, only have glalss where the balusters belong. Very classy, very classy, indeed.

Woodworker from MN on January 20, 2013 at 10:38 am
    • Gail- Mike Holmes installed glass railings on a few jobs he has done They are stunning, and invisable, allowing full vision. The upstairs deck would be a perfect place for one. One of the jobs was for a pool surround, the other was a rooftop deck, similar to the BC. Can you tell I watch DIY all the time? :)
      Mary and Dylan, are you listening?

Woodworker from MN on January 20, 2013 at 10:04 am
    • I think our habitation in the colder climes has made us forget about the heat aspect in NC like Jennie mentioned.

grammagail on January 20, 2013 at 10:20 am
    • They look very modern though , maybe out of place in this house a wood x railing or picket fence might be better. Who knows maybe they will screen this porch since it is smaller. I would prefer the low deck screened and the top one open to the fabulous view.

zulumom on January 20, 2013 at 10:37 am
    • Hi Woodworker, if I'm not mistaken, Mike Holmes does all his homes in the Northern part of the US and not in the Southeastern part, so I would think the glass would work great for the Northern Homes, but the South Eastern and Southern states get hot and humid and I'm pretty sure NC gets hot with humid Summers, the glass would draw in more heat on that Balcony . Also think about what the Sand and Salty air would do to the glass…Please correct me if I'm wrong but those are my thoughts!!! Miss the morning activity at the Cottage!!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 20, 2013 at 11:09 am