Jan 18

Friday Construction Update

Blog Cabin 2013 Reconstructed Staircase

According to project manager Dylan Eastman, the construction crew at the Blog Cabin 2013 home site completed wall framing and sheathing, poured footings for the porch and began deck framing and interior stair construction this week.

Next week, the team will focus on main roof framing, a task that will transform this charming little cabin.

• Posted at 9:00 am on January 1, 2013

1. I love seeing a plan come together! Mary, I hope you, the DIY Team, and all of the contributors to the BLOG Cabin 2013 know you are appreciated.
    Have a great great weekend!

CarlaB on January 18, 2013 at 11:38 am
  2. Noticed today the temp. in Atlantic is 43F and they're expecting a frost tonight. Next week comes the 'arctic' blast that has forecast lows in the low 20's for the entire week. Looking at the well head and pump housing I hope they have some way of insulating that from the cold. A frosty night is one thing but prolonged 20's is another problem entirely.

I'm sure Woodworker in MN is aware that we in the upper midwest are expecting lows around -10F next Monday & Tuesday night with 'balmy' daytime highs of 3 – 4F most f next week. Winter has, finally, arrived. :)

Clive on January 18, 2013 at 11:46 am
    • Clive, Hi!!! Bbbbrrrr! Now where is the placement of the fireplace in the BLOG Cabin? :)

CarlaB on January 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    • The cabin fireplace looks to be on the north wall of the living room between the windows. The same position one of the original fireplaces was. :)

Clive on January 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm
    • Yes sir. I was making a funny. :)

CarlaB on January 18, 2013 at 1:06 pm
    • Clive, Those 20 degree highs look mighty pleasing don't you think? We are sitting here with an outdoor temp at 6 at 11:30 in the morning! Almost noon! On the other hand my tiny greenhouse is coming in at 57 and no wind! Think I should visit it for a dose of sunshine! Warmer in there than NC this morning!

grammagail on January 18, 2013 at 12:35 pm
    • The 20's certainly look 'balmy' compared to what's coming up here. ;) Stay warm and enjoy the greenhouse.

We have a lot of family living in the NC Piedmont. They're translocated from the 'way north' regions so are well versed in handling cold weather. We always joke about the seeming inability of their neighbors to cope with even a little snow and ice. Schools close if there's 2 inches of snow. ^_^ . Up here it's 2 ft. and temps below 10F before they consider doing that. Much to our kids disappointment. :D
      Of course we have no idea how to prepare for or survive hurricanes. ;)

Clive on January 18, 2013 at 12:47 pm
  3. Wow! Being of an age where stairs are no too much fun, the new ones look much easier to climb. Very nice indeed.

Joanne on January 18, 2013 at 12:18 pm
    • You aren't lying about that one! That is why I was so glad the laundry room was on the first floor. ;)

Rebecca on January 19, 2013 at 5:45 pm
  4. Mary, thank you so much for being so diligent in giving us heads up and information on the progess of this wonderful cottage. You have certainly made blogging more exciting and fun! :-) Thanks again! Love the photo of the stairs. Looks very cozy! :-)

Heading South on January 18, 2013 at 12:24 pm
  5. Well the new stairs look a lot safer then the old. I hope they carpet them. That would give them a more cozy feal and would be beater if you got kids!!! ;)

asandmancan on January 18, 2013 at 12:43 pm
  6. Hi Clive, the temps were 43 but the wind chill is 35 with the wind chill…I guess the snow went further North of the Cottage and didn't come East because they said the eastern banks of NC was going to get Snow last night and early morning. At least that is what the Weatherman said..I'm sure in time the Cottage will get her share of Cold weather..
    I can't even imagine the temperatures being -10F…I would just freeze to death..When it gets low 40s I'm chilled to the bone…I feel for you guys who are having to endure that kind of weather.. Please be safe and stay warm!

Jennie/Florida on January 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm
    • OOPS….Too many wind Chills!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 18, 2013 at 12:48 pm
    • Jennie, Right now it is 30 degrees, with a high in the upper 30's. Sunday's high is supposed to be -2 degrees. Just another winter day. :) :)

Woodworker from MN on January 18, 2013 at 1:59 pm
    • Our high today is 63 and our low will be 55 with rain off and on all day. So there goes my lawn cutting for today..Oh Rats!!!.Tomorrow it will be back up to 77 with 40% chance of rain. I wish we could share our warmer weather with everyone who is in frigid weather..I'm Sorry you guys are having such miserable weather and more to come, I hear….I know the weather would be too much for me, but I'm sure you are use to it…They say Northerners have thick blood and the Southerners have thin blood….probably true..
      That's why you can endure the Cold Winters….Well Guys and Girls please try to stay warm and be safe!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 18, 2013 at 2:55 pm
    • Jennie,
      I spent two years in Florida year round and couldn't get back to Maine and our winters fast enough! You can breath the air up here and I never did grow the gills that my cousin promised I would so I could breath under water down there! I also like to be out and about during the day, not waiting for the sun to go down so I could tolerate the heat. NC is a nice compromise with wider temperature ranges. Cools off at night, has nice breezes and if I really get too uncomfortable it is a short drive to the mountains!

grammagail on January 18, 2013 at 4:52 pm
    • Hi Gail, I came to Florida when i was a very young girl and was a Sun Worshiper at the time, so the sun didn't bother me. Florida wasn't suppose to be my permanent resident but turned out to be. I have been here so long now I got use to the heat. Now that I'm much older, the Sun is getting to me a little more, so I just stay inside until it cools down..I do a lot of yard work but I also have big shade trees which helps so much and we usually have a breeze…
      I love the NC Mountains and have made almost yearly trips since 1984…We try to go every year to the Blue Ridge Mountains…It is the most beautiful place in the Fall…and my favorite time of year…I would also love to see Maine in the Fall…One day maybe!

Jennie/Florida on January 18, 2013 at 6:14 pm
    • PS… So if I win the Cottage, I won't be too far from the NC Mountains!

Jennie/Florida on January 19, 2013 at 9:11 am
    • Did I tell you that North Carolina was my Most Favorite State?? Well, I just did! Smile!!!
      Have a Nice, Warm and Safe Holiday Weekend, Gail….

Jennie/Florida on January 19, 2013 at 12:28 pm
    • PS..you'll have to win after me! LOL :D

grammagail on January 19, 2013 at 10:44 am
    • When we traveled from Maine to Florida we took the inland route through the Shenandoah valley. It was always gorgeous. it is a little trip of about three hours from BC but a lot closer than here! That is a wonderful thing about NC. It has it all, mountains, seashore, lakes, forests, very much like Maine but with more cities.

grammagail on January 19, 2013 at 10:42 am
    • Hi Jennie
      the temps here in Maine was 2F here until around noon then it went up to 10F. In the sun it felt warm but in shaded area you could feel the cold. Wasn't too bad at all for we didn't have the wind chill to add to it.
      I thought it felt like spring with the 3F and sun shinning, I guess we are use to it here, like you are with sun there.

home_girl on January 19, 2013 at 12:35 pm
    • Burrrrr Rhonda, Suurre. it felt warm at 10 F in the sun?..I would have been One frozen Icicle. Yes the wind does make a big difference….We had "Your Wind" today and everything in the yard that wasn't heavy got blown over…What a mess..All my newly potted plants dumped my fresh potting soil and now I have to re-pot my Geraniums ..don't that be all..It was 70 here today with the winds gusting up to 20 mph and it certainly didn't feel like Spring here…Home_Girl, you have got some Thick blood to keep you insulated..lol Well stay warm tonight I know it's not that "warm" outside now…Don't get frost bit! But it's probably to cold for Frost…just hard cold..Burrrrr!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 19, 2013 at 10:27 pm
    • I lived in Ga. for 4 years and was glad to move back to Maine where it was cooler during the summer. So I can see why you would freeze, my sister lives in Fl. now and when she comes home she freezes, not being here for about 20 years.
      I don't like the damp cold; it seem to goes right though you and seems you can't put enough on to keep warm. Yes it's really cold out here tonight.
      My step-father just passed away this pass week just before his 84th birthday on Monday 21th, but that's the day for his visiting. So we can wish him an happy birthday and goodby at the same time. I am glad he's in a better place and no more problem breathing and warm I am sure!

home_girl on January 20, 2013 at 1:39 am
    • home_girl, my condolences on your stepfather's passing. My stepfather lived to be 93 and I was glad he had such a long life, yet we all miss him every day. My grandson will also have a birthday on the 21st…but he will just be 8 yrs. old. The circle of life….<3

LLColeman on January 20, 2013 at 4:05 am
    • Thanks LL Coleman,
      my son in-law shared his birthday too. This year it's will only be him alone will take me awhile to get use to it, just like it did with my father & grandmother shared birthday with my cousins. Just seem funny without them there when we had parties together.

home_girl on January 20, 2013 at 3:26 pm
    • So sorry for your loss Rhonda, your Step-Father is resting now and no longer suffers, but he will know that You and Family will be wishing him a Happy Birthday on his Special Day, Monday the 21st…Stay warm..

Jennie/Florida on January 20, 2013 at 10:21 am
    • yes he is and thanks Jennie…

home_girl on January 20, 2013 at 3:27 pm
  7. I know those old stairs are dangerous and scary, but I love old, quirky details like that! I also love the turquoise paint on them. Hope there will be some consideration for painted floors somewhere. They are such an old fashioned touch and very southern/coastal.
    Happy long weekend, everyone.

Lea Whitfield on January 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm
    • And a happy l-o-n-g weekend to you, too, Lea!

CarlaB on January 18, 2013 at 1:09 pm
    • The old steps were ship,s ladder stairs and common in old maritime communities. Pat

Pat Green on January 18, 2013 at 3:17 pm
    • Pat, I think you hit it right on that one. Uriah was a fisherman as were the ones who came after him. Those steps probably seemed extremely safe to them compared to narrower ones on a rolling ship!

grammagail on January 18, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    • I hope they bring bake some paint too, so the cabin looks like it evolved over time, I look the quirky details of the house too- I hoe they saved that carving on the stairwell wall- I think it's carved in the shape of old the NC.

Lia_M on January 19, 2013 at 12:50 am
    • That's bring back, not bace! and I hope not hoe! Love not look! :)

I hope they bring back some paint too, so the cabin looks like it evolved over time, I love the quirky details of the house too- I hope they saved that carving on the stairwell wall- I think it's carved in the shape of the old NC.
      I should have just washed my face, brushed my teeth, went to bed, and responded in the morning.

Lia_M on January 19, 2013 at 12:54 am
  8. I didn't realize how steep those stairs were! They looked like they belonged on a ship, very nautical. But I have to agree with most of the other bloggers, the new steps are much safer to climb, especially for children and the elderly.

nmdeman on January 18, 2013 at 2:44 pm
    • I THINK THE NAME OF THE OLD STAIRS ARE SHIP STAIRS. MUCH HAPPIER WITH NEW ONES

sanders2778 on February 3, 2013 at 9:36 pm
  9. I am so thrilled to see all the new and updated building. It is sad I agree to see a building which is no longer safe for habitation to be almost entirely replaced. But it just makes sense in this case. Phoenix rising from the ashes bigger, better, safer and up to date. I'm sure all the good spirits of the home will be happy in their new digs. I really wish you would share with us the thought process of your decisions. Example; when the house was purchased did the builder know for sure that the home would essentially be a demo? Share this info because it would sure be a help when/if one of us were in a similar situation! Please? What was the straw that broke the camels back. Was this the actual plan from the beginning? Would you be willing to share cost figures? How does this decision differ from what a regular person would do vs. a TV show production with corporate sponsors? Most people do realize that there are two different paradigms working here.What diy does might not be the most cost effective choices for a regular person. But it would really be helpful to understand the differences if not the actual cost figures. Just asking to share your stories and understand the choices made. Hokiemom trying to decide if I should move? tear down my old house? or patch it up?. HELP ME make a better decision! Please help to educate your viewers.

Ashtabulannie on January 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    • With my own personal experience in remodeling a 100 year old home, there are lots of things to consider. I tried remodeling an old house once, only to find terrible, terrible foundation, very old, and outdated wiring, bad plumbing and a bad septic system. All those things cost lots of money, so it was better to demolish, and rebuild, new.
      The second one was a different story, where things were not that bad. The wiring was pretty good, just needed some repacement, and lots of new, plumbing was pretty current, so not much needed there. Overall, the structure was pretty decent, and the house had lots of character. In the end, the house still had lots of old time style. The remodeling cost was about the same as building new, but the character aspect was still intact. In some cases, it may be sentimental, other cases, it may be financially better to start from scratch, like the 2013 Blog Cabin. I like challenges, so I accomplished it, with lots of work. Would I do it again, of course, if things are not really, really bad. There is a lot of pride involved in restoring any old structure, to make it last another lifetime.

Woodworker from MN on January 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm
    • WWfMN very well said! But my question is where is the breaking point? On the previous build it was the condition of the foundation. I guess it also depends a great deal on location and also local ordinances on historical designation. Thank goodness my neighborhood does not yet have historical designation. Perhaps it should???Unfortunately, it seems that a couple of homes of similar age in our neighborhood are experiencing some spontaneous electrical fires from overloaded wiring inside the plaster walls. It does make me sad to see these solid brick and cinder block constructed homes from the early 20's to be bulldozed one by one when really just the electrical and plumbing need to be addressed. But families have different living styles and expectations in the 21st century. Does make me sad though to wake up and see a back hoe sitting next door waiting for the demo team. The LAND is more valuable than the old house. It's all about the land value in this neighborhood. I should be happy.

Ashtabulannie on January 18, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    • By any chance have you been watching "Rehab Addict" on DIY? Nicole Curtis, from right here in Minnesota (Minneapolis), is a licensed contractor who buys and restores old homes in Minneapolis. Her new series just started last evening, where she purchased an old house from the city for only $1. She hates to see old structures demolished, so she bought this house for one buck, with the agreement that she has to restore it to its' former glory. Her cost of rehab will be around $100,000, starting with a new $30,000 house lift, and entire new foundation completed. Then comes all new wiring, new plumbing, new heating and cooling, etc., plus total rehab of the inside. She has several old houses she has completed, restoring back to their old style design. Just watch her show. She can do wonders with old houses. Of course, a person has to have the financial means to afford this.

Woodworker from MN on January 18, 2013 at 4:59 pm
    • Alas…. I don't get DIY shows. Bummer! That show sounds like it's packed with lots of great info.

Ashtabulannie on January 18, 2013 at 8:53 pm
    • Happy Saturday morning. One additional thing I forgot to mention when remodeling an old home. Is the house well insulated? Well, if it is not, that means tearing all the walls out and insulating, or use blown in insulation, removing just a small area along the ceiling, then replacing the plaster, or sheetrock, what ever was used originally. The first house I attempted had no insulation, the second had blown in insulation, through holes drilled through the siding, then covered with plugs. I replaced the old siding anyhow, so those holes and plugs did not interfere. Always be sure that the attic is very well insulated, and VENTED. Spray foam insulation is very good, sealing all cracks, but it is more expensive to use.

Woodworker from MN on January 19, 2013 at 10:30 am
    • Good morning to you! OMG totally forgot about THAT issue.Heating Bills can kill ya.Then there are the asbestos issues, lead paint, and putting in AC systems.Often spaces for ducts simply don't exist.But totally worth the investment at least is the southern parts.Thanks WWfMN.Have a great day. Keep warm.Hokiemom

Ashtabulannie on January 19, 2013 at 10:49 am
  10. Love, love, love the new staircase, certainly wouldn't want to attempt navigating that old staircase after happy hour!

AnneEliseSouth on January 18, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    • Actually it is easier because handholds are on both sides and if you fall it is closer to the bottom than a long straight stretch.

grammagail on January 18, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    • I guess that means we are in agreement, as the new staircase is indeed happy hour friendlier than the old staircase. "The Jump", as it was named, required a "leap of faith". Say your prayers, then tally ho!

AnneEliseSouth on January 18, 2013 at 7:36 pm