Jan 17

People’s Choice: Vote for Kitchen Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Kitchen Vote

Greetings!

Today, I invite you to vote for the kitchen floor plan, decorative accessories, flooring and more.
This is your chance to define what Blog Cabin’s cooking space will look and feel like. Remember, you can vote up to 10 times per day. And please invite your friends and family to participate!

• Posted at 11:11 am on January 1, 2013

1. Love this house!
    Could the rolling island have chairs placed under it?
    That could make everyone happy.

HeatherH on January 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm
  2. The "People's Choice"option on the menu bar is returning a 404 error. Also, I had to keep going back to the link in the new blog thread to vote again because the "vote again" button kept giving me a 404 error. Hopefully it will get straightened out before tomorrow. Sorry to add to your woes, Mary, but thougt telling you what was happening might help a little.

grammagail on January 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm
    • I had this same thing happen to me. I'm using an ipad. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it or not. What are you using?

nmdeman on January 18, 2013 at 12:27 am
    • It must be fixed because I didn't have any problems this morning! Have a great day guys!!

Rebecca on January 18, 2013 at 8:53 am
    • This morning the 404 errors are gone but it takes me to the old votes and, of course, does not register votes left or anything about the kitchen vote. The work around is to go back to the link in the thread post about the kitchen vote. I'll post about this in the newest thread.

grammagail on January 18, 2013 at 10:07 am
    • I'm still geting the 404 message. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.;)

nmdeman on January 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm
  3. Good morning, I hope everyone has a wonderful day today. I already voted and looked at all the beautiful pics again this morning! ;) We all know that it won't be the only time I look! I am glued to the cam and the pics. It's funny even though you have seen the photos over and over again you keep looking. Looks like everything is going great on the job site. Much Love! <3<3<3:*:*:*

Rebecca on January 18, 2013 at 8:52 am
  4. I don't really mind what everyone chooses. This is going to be an amazing house no matter what! I love love love this house! Oh did I say I love this house yet? LOL :p

Rebecca on January 18, 2013 at 9:00 am
  5. Help me understand why the mosaic backsplash is winning out over the subway. I'm baffled by this one. To me, the subway is the older, more traditional look and the mosaic the newer more trendy. Am I way off base? Thanks. I love hearing the "why I voted for's"……

Goin2SC on January 18, 2013 at 9:20 am
    • I absolutely agree, the mosaic is pretty but trendy. I love the classic appeal of the subway tile. That just seems the right thing to do for this cabin!

SID on January 18, 2013 at 10:52 am
    • I also agree with you. The subway tile is the way to go. If a kitchen had tile at all it would have been the subway.

Pat Green on January 18, 2013 at 11:31 am
    • I think they might be trying to sway votes toward their with the color displayed. The mosaic grag your eyes with color; if they had done a sea glass glass subway it might have been different. Same goes with the floors.

zulumom on January 19, 2013 at 8:01 am
    • am also with you…also it's a BEACH HOUSE-casual, eclectic…don't know why the seashell mosaic chandelier isn't a slam dunk.

donna on January 18, 2013 at 2:15 pm
    • I agree with you on both items. NC is hot and humid in the summer, that white tile will help give the illusion of cool and it's a classic. I also vote for the shell chandelier- it's kitschy and it looks like a project the kids and mom from a past generation would have made on a rainy weekend at the beach!

Lia_M on January 19, 2013 at 12:12 am
    • I totaly agree SUBWAY.. This is a historic home they are trying to replicate.. VOTE SUBWAY.. Jarrod would!!!!

Bree on January 22, 2013 at 5:15 am
  6. It's interesting to read pros and cons and preferences on design. The kitchen will have reflection coming in from the dining room and I don't think that it will be that dark. We have a similar layout and we still get nice lighting in the kitchen. I went with the fixed island, because movement on flooring even with lock wheels will eventually mark up the flooring. I also chose the subway tile because white will enhance the kitchen with light. I like mosaic tile for bathrooms, but I don't care for it in the kitchen. The raised panel was my choice for the kitchen along with the microwave cabinet. The sea shell lighting is very tacky and the only one that appears to fit a dining area for me is the elegant one. Yet I don't see it as elegant :-) The flooring for me was easy to choose. Maple is the best wood. Hard Rock Maple as I remember it called growing up as a child. The light color given on the maple actually remindes me of the cottage's orginal flooring, and that is in respects to the color. I do hope that DIY will not have stainless appliances in the kitchen such as refrig., stove, ect. Keeping the kitchen in white will reflect lighting and give a nice crisp clean look. :-)

Heading South on January 18, 2013 at 9:38 am
    • I feel the same way as you with the floor and the light but I would like the rolling island beause if the pantry<3

kathy fluta on January 21, 2013 at 11:24 pm
  7. So next week they will be working on the roofing! I think this will REALLY make this beautiful home start to take shape. I can't wait to see them working on that part of the house. Go DIY teams!!!! Much Love

Rebecca on January 18, 2013 at 9:43 am
    • Yes, Rebecca, next week should be the week for the roof assembly to take shape. First, they have to complete the porch roof assembly and the upper deck supports, because that in turn helps to support the entire front roof structure. Hope all is well with you. Supposed to get mighty cold in Minnesota after today, with a high on Sunday, a balmy -2 below zero. My mom's birthday is on January 21st. and it, traditionally, is the very coldest day of the winter, ever since I was very young. :( Cold weather does not bother me, as long as I can stay indoors and do painting, tiling, or installing laminate flooring, or keeping an eye on Blog Cabin. I would love to be helping those carpenters, especially this time of year when it is warm down there. Have a super weekend. :)

Woodworker from MN on January 18, 2013 at 8:30 pm
    • You have a great weekend too!

Rebecca on January 19, 2013 at 12:21 am
  8. Okay it's got to be sead… Both Tile choices are just rong! o.0 Why does every thing have to be bright? How about some warm colors like beige to a light brown or even some light grays!

Just some ideas that would keep that old cozy fealing in a home!!! B)

asandmancan on January 18, 2013 at 1:28 pm
    • Frank, there were some nice ones there, however, for the beach style of house, I couldn't see a match. The neutrals were color-wise excellent choices. I could see them in a more transitional, or modern or even Tuscan decor, but not antique North Carolina Beach house. Personally, if they are to use what the former owners left, there were lots of blue and white themed items and I really like that motif, IMHO. I'd like to see some beige brown, maybe in a bathroom? Come to think of it, I'd like to use some of your color and tile motifs when I redo a bath here at my house! :D B)xD:p<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 18, 2013 at 3:07 pm
    • Please remember the vote is for tile style, not color. ;) The same goes for the cabinets. The vote is for the style not color. DIY designers will choose the color to best compliment the other features. :)

My personal preference (as the moosaic will win) is for them to find a mosaic that incorporates a 'sea glass' look with pale greens, blues, yellows and frosted white glass mosaic with the poossibility of some flat, grey stones included to evoke the small pebbles etc. found on beaches everywhere. :D

Clive on January 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    • Thank you Clive, I din't know that. That does make sence though. And I like the Sea Glass look, That would go with the location of a beach home quite well!!!

And Miss Kitty had a good Idea with putting that tile in the Bathroom. I have seen the Tuscan look in meny bathrooms in Palm Peach Fl homes!!!

asandmancan on January 18, 2013 at 7:20 pm
  9. I love the sink! The back spalsh ,is cool wish their was a way to viualize some of the pieces next to each other i am not sure how the lights, floors, and cabinets that i picked will look together. My hubby says i am a visual person . He had to repaint walls a couple years ago i hated it once it wasdone.and i dont really like any of the lights. my hubby says the maple should last better, especially around all the water but we have never had either of the others.

gleedge on January 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm
  10. . dark cabinets that go to the ceiling wood cabinets and no glass doors…too hard to keep cupboards straight.

elizabeth draper on January 18, 2013 at 5:42 pm
    • A couple of glass doors is nice specially if there is no window and foer a rental it makes it easy to find stuff.

zulumom on January 18, 2013 at 6:56 pm