Jan 17

People’s Choice: Vote for Kitchen Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Kitchen Vote

Greetings!

Today, I invite you to vote for the kitchen floor plan, decorative accessories, flooring and more.
This is your chance to define what Blog Cabin’s cooking space will look and feel like. Remember, you can vote up to 10 times per day. And please invite your friends and family to participate!

• Posted at 11:11 am on January 1, 2013

1. I am definitely choosing a cottage style thanks DIY.

pixelecho69 on January 17, 2013 at 5:18 pm
  2. I do not know why some people think the kitchen is so enclosed. It is totally open on the water side, with a great view. The brightness from outside will totally show over the island, movable or not, directly into the kitchen.

Woodworker from MN on January 17, 2013 at 5:19 pm
    • I would hope so, but remember you will have the porch roof blocking out some of that light and if they screen it in you will loose a little more light too. You will still get light, but might not be as much as we are all hoping for.
      I am hoping for a solar tube lighting too, but don't really think it will happen.

home_girl on January 17, 2013 at 5:38 pm
    • Remember that the cupola is up there, shining light down the winding stairway, giving it a very open look, not crampoed or dark.

Woodworker from MN on January 19, 2013 at 12:29 pm
    • I've been blogging this since the plans were revealed. The kitchen will be lighter than some think especially if DIY keep the cabinets light (we're only voting on style, not color of the cabinets). A solar tube would be great for more passive lighting and it may be possible to have it open onto the west side of the house rather than the roof.

Reflected light off the water will make all the rear first floor rooms very bright all day long regardless of whether the sun is shining dierctly into the rooms or is above the porch line. They will get sun from dawn to dusk either direct or reflected. Even on a cloudy day it will be bright.

The kitchen's position is a compromise so all the other rooms to have an unimpeded view. Even the view from the kitchen will be good and catch the morning sun directly through the living room area. The winner will be able to watch the sunrise while sitting at the breakfast bar looking out if they wish. B)

I agreee the cook will, when operating at the cooker, be facing away from the wall but who, when cooking is looking at the view and not at whet they're doing o the stove? :)

Clive on January 17, 2013 at 6:15 pm
    • Sorry about the last sentence. I corrected it but the system posted the orignal draft. o.0 Blame it on my i-phone. :$

If anyone was confused this is what I meant to write : –

I agreee the cook will, when performing feats at the cooker, be facing away from the view, however, who when cooking is looking at the view and not concentrating on what they're doing at the stove? :)

Clive on January 17, 2013 at 6:49 pm
    • My Mom. But NO one ate her cooking. Ha ha xD:D

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • Sounds like my cooking! I wonder how close the nearest delivery service is? :D

Clive on January 17, 2013 at 7:07 pm
    • It is not only about bringing in more light (it certainly would) but about having the work area of the kitchen more practical. Instead of a narrow U (9 feet wide by 10-11 feet) open on only the DR side you would have a wider U open to the stair side and still open to DR side with peninsula extended to the support post (more space for bar stools). The fridge with a pantry on its right (Master Bedroom side), stove in the center with lots of counter of the wall opposite laundry and sink and dishwasher either in peninsula (facing the beautiful water and guests) or corner sink with large work area to its left. Benefits:deep pantry, much more light, room for 2 cooks, possibility for a small island (rolling cart) in the middle.

zulumom on January 21, 2013 at 5:32 am
  3. I really like the maple flooring myself. Normally, I like darker colored flooring, but for this house, maple just seems right, as does the transitional light. Also like the mosiac backsplash, and the rolling island. Hope those Shaker cabinets win!

nmdeman on January 17, 2013 at 6:29 pm
    • I am with you on the Shaker style cabinets . Just not that crazy sea shell chandelier. :o

chris50555 on January 17, 2013 at 6:48 pm
    • The seashell chandelier is not really my style either. I liked the elegant lighting, but thought the transitional a better fit for the house.

nmdeman on January 18, 2013 at 12:24 am
  4. I would really like to see a window put in the laundry room and the master bath. I <3 the natural light and of course the beautiful scenery.

chris50555 on January 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    • Your wish is half answered. There's a window in the master bathroom above the bath. Nothing in the laundry area.

Sally on January 17, 2013 at 11:02 pm
  5. PSST Shaker style …….

Nebraska on January 17, 2013 at 6:56 pm
  6. Very sad they don't want to open the kitchen wall to to the stairs. That is unfortunate; that kitchen is at best 9 feet wide by maybe 11, opening it up on the stair size would make it feel much larger. And in extending the peninsula no storage would be lost.

zulumom on January 17, 2013 at 7:06 pm
    • Right on, ZuluMom!!!<3<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 19, 2013 at 4:05 pm
  7. My only complaint, really, is that the results don't all fit on the page, and I can't see which layout is winning…. there's no scroll bar or anything :(

Mimitheminer on January 17, 2013 at 7:07 pm
    • Decrease your screen resolution. It fits.

Nebraska on January 17, 2013 at 7:08 pm
  8. Sad here in the mid country today- Dear Abby passed. She and sister- Esther (Ann Landers) went to high school with my dad.

Nebraska on January 17, 2013 at 7:08 pm
    • I know it is sad. I posted a RIP with some articles and pics from the news on my FB page.

Rebecca on January 18, 2013 at 9:02 am
  9. This is Fun!
    Discussion of the pros and cons, personal preferences and then explaining the reasoning is great. In the photo for this round of voting there is a pot filler shown. Please, please, please include one this time! It would be a real help for all those crab boils, clam boils, and fish chowders.

grammagail on January 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm
    • Hi Gail, if i'm not mistaken, the last BC in Maine had a nice pot filler..

Jennie/Florida on January 17, 2013 at 7:53 pm
    • Hi Jennie,
      Unfortunately, I did not follow that one but it would really be needed up here as well for all those lobsters and chowders. I do a mean clam boil in a huge pot with seaweed and all!

grammagail on January 17, 2013 at 10:47 pm
    • Thank you, I've been looking at the pic and trying to figure out why that faucet was there on the stove….lol! learn something new every day…..what a cool idea!

karenlin on January 18, 2013 at 8:57 am
  10. Please, please don't vote for hand scraped floor! A whole room of it looks awful, it is the dickens to keep clean, and it feels genuinely CREEPY on bare feet!! The maple will last forever, and the light color is terrific for the coast. Sorry to see boring subway tile as a backsplash option–it has really become trite, in my opinion. But some pretty cool options on other things.

Sherdi114 on January 17, 2013 at 8:05 pm