Jan 17

People’s Choice: Vote for Kitchen Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Kitchen Vote

Greetings!

Today, I invite you to vote for the kitchen floor plan, decorative accessories, flooring and more.
This is your chance to define what Blog Cabin’s cooking space will look and feel like. Remember, you can vote up to 10 times per day. And please invite your friends and family to participate!

• Posted at 11:11 am on January 1, 2013

1. Great voting choices. All except the floor plans…I'm still just SO SAD at the thought of the kitchen being a closed in box with no windows. I just can't imagine why they put the kitchen back there. I'm sure they must have had a good reason, I just wish they would post and tell us why. :-) I'm dying to know what the counter tops will be. I was hoping that would be a voting option but I guess they have to surprise us somewhere. Can't wait!

Goin2SC on January 17, 2013 at 1:46 pm
    • I believe that they are trying to keep the same exterior layout as before.

chris50555 on January 17, 2013 at 4:43 pm
  2. Good choices in this round of voting.
    I really like this part of the Blog Cabin construction.
    It is more than just the fun of making a choice and voting.
    Reading what all you have to say about the various choices is always interesting.
    I appreciate when commenters point out things like domestic sources (IE: domestic jobs) in selecting flooring types (durability, size, historical context are also interesting in this choice); or, the possible thinking behind a moving or non-moving island.
    When commenters explain their thoughts behind their individual choices it always gives an interesting new perspective.

Lester B. on January 17, 2013 at 2:00 pm
  3. Mary, thank you for the camera cam, I am really enjoying that. :D

Windsmurf on January 17, 2013 at 2:09 pm
    • Windsmurf me too! When I first checked the camera this morning it was 75 degrees and the porch framers were out there working shirtless. Now it's dropped to 53 degrees and they're working in jackets and hoodies!
      :'( It makes one wonder if it will be snowing tomorrow? Better than living next door. I love watching the cabin being built from the ground up this year!:D

SID on January 17, 2013 at 4:55 pm
    • That was the fog rolling back in that drove them back into their shirts, jackets and hoodies. Oh,well! LOL
      They worked so hard to get those posts set, floor joists in and posts notched. I think the two doing the notching have done this more than once. They looked like they were enjoying themselves (until it got cold!). It really is addictive watching them build this cottage. Not getting much work done!

grammagail on January 17, 2013 at 11:03 pm
    • Ditto!

CarlaB on January 18, 2013 at 11:23 am
  4. The color of the flooring is what is swaying most votes I think. The maple is too light and most people probably want a darker floor especially if the cabinets turn out to be white. I cannot see why so many are going for the shiny stainless dining room light fixture. It doesn't fit a beachy cottage at all in my estimation (for what it is worth). The shell chandelier is a bit too campy so the elegant is the only one that seems to fit in either formal or casual, whichever way you want to go.

grammagail on January 17, 2013 at 2:24 pm
    • GrammaGail, I agree with you 100%. I use to be a wood worker. People are going for a color and not realizing that floor colors can be changed just as wall color can be changed. What the floor is made out of can’t be changed. ( OK, they can be changed but at what expense.?) The maple wood will last 100 years.

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    • I agree Gail, I voted for the shell Chandelier first vote, then decided that it would be hard to clean..Plus if little buggies make there way into the Cottage, they might decide to make a home inside those shells, so Yucky,
      especially over a dining room table. So I changed my vote to the Elegant style.The Cottage needs elegance too!!

Jennie/Florida on January 17, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    • I went fr the Elegant, not because it was elegant but that the little shades look like wood and the metalwork looks like it might have been hand forged. A touch of the past with a touch of the "now". I just can't bring myself to accept stainless steel in any form for this cabin but more than that I don't like stainless steel, period, for any design. Really dislike stainless steel appliances!

grammagail on January 17, 2013 at 5:21 pm
    • I also went for the "elegant", because to me the shades look like glass. Of course, the drawings they have are to represent the style, not necessarily the exact fixture. I am hoping for a bit of a casual elegant, with maybe some old fashioned colored glass (like the pale greenish color that used to be used for bottles and high-line insulators). Whichever style wins, I am sure the designers will keep it with the coastal cool theme :)

Mimitheminer on January 17, 2013 at 7:00 pm
    • Hi Gail, I really don't think the one they are calling Elegant, is really Elegant, I just think it has more style than the other two and I don't like stainless steel "anything" and the shell one was just too much…maybe a little "gaudy"…I too like the little shades and a softness about them. I Hope that one wins..
      I have suggested White Appliances in the kitchen and please don't put in Stainless Steel. The Cottage Kitchen had white Appliances before, so please stay with the white..Stainless Steel is
      so cold looking and reeks industrial and this Cottage needs bright and cheery things, not doom and gloom….
      OK I'll get off my soap box!!

Jennie/Florida on January 17, 2013 at 7:33 pm
    • I too voted for the elegant fixture. It's not actually elegant but more traditional IMO but I really do not think the stainless steel fits in a dining room, kitchen perhaps, but not dining room.

jkcarter on January 21, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    • I agree with you on all points.

Darenda on January 23, 2013 at 11:22 am
  5. Light color floors add to the beach feel. Darker floors will show up any and all sand that will inevitably be tracked in. And for those people who want the floors to look older…. With all that sand…. Don’t worry it will age in no time.

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2013 at 3:07 pm
    • Actually Maple floors will be able to withstand the sand far better than the other choices. We used to refinish furniture and I have to tell you Maple is near indestructible. It also has warmth that bamboo just doesn’t have IMO.

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2013 at 3:11 pm
  6. Looking good Blog cabin!!!:p<3

bythebaydreamer on January 17, 2013 at 3:15 pm
  7. I like the rolling Island for the kitchen idea because I like the pantry there. I know you loose some counter top space but you gain a pantry, that what folk here are asking for. Beside it gives it an more open feel too. I like the clean white subway tiles make it light in the kitchen and looks more like the kitchen did before; they can add a touch of blue tile to go with it to make a white & blue kitchen like before.
    I like the inside sink, to me it will make the kitchen look bigger without that big front sticking out in there, being that it's so small now. I like the coastal light for the dinning room for it like the one they had before, maybe they can just put back the one that came with the home not the flowered one pictured there.
    I also like the bamboo flooring because it's the closest looking as to what was in the home, I like the wide used live in look to it, Like it's been there for a while. I like the color of it too hope they use that color, don't care for the color or look of the maple flooring, if they could find it in a wider look and different color or all one color not part white & dark, than I would vote for that one for sure.

home_girl on January 17, 2013 at 3:46 pm
    • If you look at the colors in the mosaic tile it looks as if their preferences are drifting toward greens and browns instead of the blues. Oh, how I hope not!

grammagail on January 17, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    • They don't really say any colors we are just voting for the style I believe. I just don't care for the mosaic in different colors like that looks too busy to me and bother the eyes. Being that it's an inside kitchen I was hoping for whites to brighten up the room with light from dinning area.

home_girl on January 17, 2013 at 5:33 pm
    • I would love glass subway tiles with sea glass colors

zulumom on January 17, 2013 at 7:00 pm
    • Totally with you on that one zulumom. I am a HUGE fan of glass, and what better place for seaglass than this beachside home?

Mimitheminer on January 17, 2013 at 7:03 pm
    • If the moasic style wins, as is likely, maybe we can persuade them to look for a style that looks like small pieces of beach glass with a few light-toned, flat pebbles mixed in?

Clive on January 17, 2013 at 7:14 pm
    • LET'S HEAR IT FOR LIGHT, COOL SEA/BEACH COLORED GLASS …!<3 Kitty
      p.s. ..no cacophony here, please!

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 19, 2013 at 4:10 pm
  8. cont.
    I want to get the cottage to look as much like the other one as I can; for I liked just about everything about it, right down to rugs and flooring that was in there before. Even the bathroom sink & dresser it was in. I like that they are giving us choices that look just like the cottage did before. I just hope everyone votes like that too, but everyone has a right to vote the way they want.

home_girl on January 17, 2013 at 3:46 pm
  9. For years I’ve read the blog without blogging myself, During that time I have heard how upset you all are when DIY chooses some silly thing that looks cute but is not practical for the homes. This is one of those times that cute is going to out win “what should be”.
    Maple will withstand abuse for GENERATIONS! Read the spec’s. Anything other than the maple will need replacing every 25/30 years; IF it is kept up. (You may have to replace them sooner than that.) Hand scraped floors are just a fad like harvest gold appliances or green shag carpet.
    The original cabin lasted over 100 years and we all want the new cabin to last another 100. Let’s give it a classic floor that will last the test of time!

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2013 at 3:53 pm
    • Eugenia I agree 100%

SID on January 17, 2013 at 4:33 pm
    • Amen!!!

laurel on January 20, 2013 at 6:29 pm
    • I am so glad that you have blogged because after I have read your post I did look it up and you are rite and I have since changed my vote and I am posting trying to make people understand .there is a big difference between the 3 25years warrenty 30 years warrenty 100 years warrenty say it all I hope people read but it seems that they are more worried about color like i was before I saw that .. thank you=/

kathy fluta on January 21, 2013 at 4:18 am
    • Thank you Kathy. I think I will repost my comment.

Eugenia27 on January 23, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    • You have my vote! Maple it is.

Addy243 on January 21, 2013 at 4:25 am
    • You convinced me! I changed my vote to maple. I can always whitewash it if I win. So it has that real beach feel.

UOwinner on January 23, 2013 at 4:49 pm
  10. Well I didn't vote for the Maple because I like a dark floor. <3 I didn't care for the sea shell light, it would be a dust magnet. o.0 Someone posted about the cabinets being white? Neither of the choices were white that I saw unless we were only voting for the panel design and not the finish.??? Happy Voting Everyone.

chris50555 on January 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm
    • Floor color can be changed. Heck Maple is so dense that you could even paint it and bring it back to the natural wood later on.

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2013 at 5:39 pm
    • Eugenia27 are you saying that it would be better to choose the maple and then pay to have it finished in a darker color? That would be very expensive, time consuming, and just not sensible in my humble opinion.

chris50555 on January 17, 2013 at 6:10 pm
    • But not nearly as "expensive, time consuming and not sensible" as replacing the entire floor in 25 years or less as may be the case with bamboo.

Hey, this is a DIY show. The winner could refinish the floors themselves inside a week at the cost of renting a sander, some stain and some varnish. Well less than $1000 plus some hard work. :D

The warrenty is only on the finish and doesn't cover buckling, warping, breaking or splitting. Things that bamboo is prone to in humid areas with significant climatic variations, as is the case here.

Whatever the pros & cons it appears that the bamboo will be the winner anyway. :)

Clive on January 17, 2013 at 6:30 pm
    • Clive you make valid points. I thought it would be much more expensive to stain and seal the Maple. I agree that the Maple is a great choice for the material itself, I just like the darker finish. Thank You for your input.

chris50555 on January 17, 2013 at 6:44 pm
    • You know, whatever is decided will not be bad. It's all our personal choices and I'm sure they will make it as good as possible no matter what the material.

I just wish Lumber Liquidators would donate US sourced floooing for a show that's an entirely US event. Especially as the forestry industry is struggling so much and this has a direct impact on US jobs. It's not as though the US has scarce good lumber for flooring. :)

Clive on January 17, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • I suppose if the ONLY thing you care about is the color……
      There are products such as Bri Wax or Howards Citrus Shield that are a quality paste wax that have a stain right in it.
      Then again it would be less expensive to refinish the floors than to have to completely replace them 2 to 3 times in the next 100 years.
      That and there will be area rugs covering most of the floor anyway.

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2013 at 6:52 pm
    • Eugenia27 you come off a bit harsh. If you read my comment to Clive you would see that I agree that Maple is a great choice for the material itself. I just prefer a darker finish.

chris50555 on January 17, 2013 at 6:59 pm
    • I'm so sorry for coming off harsh. I had no idea how strongly I felt on this subject until it came up.

P.S. Thank you for calling me on that.

Eugenia27 on January 17, 2013 at 7:13 pm
    • Eugenia 27 no problem I hope I didn't come off in a bad light either. All is good and of course we are all entitled to our opinions and preferences.

chris50555 on January 17, 2013 at 7:18 pm
    • I didn't take your comments as harsh, I just recognized the as a passionate response. I don't think we were necessarily voting on the flooring color as much as the type. DIY will select a color that goes with all the other color selections. Clive did convince me to change my vote to the maple with his explanations of the green, or not so green, aspects of the bamboo.

Windsmurf on January 18, 2013 at 10:43 am
    • Totally in agreement with Windsmurf! I don't consider emphasis as harshness. I personally interpret harshness as having a negative vibe with a critical edge to it. Bottom line here, I think, though, was, everyone was trying to indicate the same connotation–that is, we all really want to make a sensible decision , buy American, and have a less-busy, darker floor? YES??? :p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 19, 2013 at 3:34 pm
    • We are voting for style not color in cabinets. And dust shows on a dark floor more than light.

Nebraska on January 17, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • the maple has a 100 year warrenty the other 2 only have a 25 and a 30 year warrenty not sure if that is to good maybe we all should be thinking about more than color… happy voting…I dont care for that sea shell light either I think it is a big dust magnet…

kathy fluta on January 21, 2013 at 4:11 am