Jan 15

Building Stronger; Maintaining Character

Blog Cabin 2013 Reframing Process

Today, I share a slideshow packed with images captured during the reframing process. Now’s your chance to take a closer look at the construction process; attention to detail will make all the difference as we proceed with the loving renovation of this historic home. Enjoy!

• Posted at 11:54 am on January 1, 2013

1. I just saw the Weather for Our (not so covered up) Cottage on the beach and they are expecting Snow for late tonight and tomorrow morning….Burrrrrrr..I wonder if the Guys will show up..Probably want bother them…I bet Kitty in Virginia will be getting her first Snow this winter also…Stay warm Kitty!!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 17, 2013 at 9:05 pm
  2. Can't wait to see how how the salvaged material will be incorporated into the new.

Linda on January 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm
  3. I didn't see any comments on why you did not build this NEW house on stilts so as to be above flood stage.
    You were in the process of doing this with the OLD house when you discovered the unsatisfactory joists. All the new coastal and sound construction I have seen in North Carolina are all raised. Venting and flood protecting the crawl space is usually only allowed on structures of sufficient elevation. This home is pretty much at sea level.

looker19 on January 21, 2013 at 12:32 am
  4. I'd like to suggest putting the laundry in the 1st floor powder room space. The footprint would stay the same if the washer and dryer are stacked where the toilet is and a counter with cabinets replaces the vanity. The laundry room could then be used as a full bath (toilet, vanity, tub / shower), which would be very handy for routine use when coming in off the beach or water. The full bath would also accommodate a "full house" situation if the foyer is put into service as a sleeping area.

Taylorsx6 on January 21, 2013 at 12:38 pm
    • not so sure how I feel about a bedroom being by a frontdoor if you have younger childern in the house ? and how big is the foyer and how many could ot really sleep? just asking

kathy fluta on January 23, 2013 at 4:22 pm
    • Foyer is about 8x11ft so plenty big enough for two twins or a doublebed. A sleeper couch would be best I think unless it were permanently converted to a bedroom..

AnniesOwn on January 24, 2013 at 9:26 pm
    • But they are so uncomfortable I would prefer a deep double Daybed with tons of pillows and large drawers underneath. At least it would give you a private extra emergency bedroom. And when you don't need it a spot to read to grandchildren at naptime. I would have a hard time keeping my 2 large dogs from adopting this room as their own.

zulumom on January 25, 2013 at 5:07 am
  5. I am pretty happy with the floor plan because the media room is also a bedroom not so sure how well that will work out depending upon the kids ages lol it would have been nice to have another bedroom to but a media room I have never had ….hmmmm maybe that will become the masterbedroom lol ^_^

kathy fluta on January 22, 2013 at 1:11 am
  6. I do hope that you can keep some of that old touch to the house so that you still have that feel…The house has quite a history it needs to be remembered dont you thinko.0<3

kathy fluta on January 22, 2013 at 11:59 pm
  7. When you walk in the mega den the view will be amazing. On the right side I see a round game table surrounded by chairs. In the corner between window the TV maybe in a corner cabinet, out of the way when you open the Murphy bed, table and chairs could then be pushed aside. On the left side I can imagine a giant U shaped sectional (with pull-out bed). This room could sleep 4 adults and if you add a large armoire on the wall left of the bath door they would have storage for clothes.

zulumom on January 23, 2013 at 5:37 am
    • I agree I think the mediaroom is amazing and the veiw will be great no one will what to leave the room

kathy fluta on January 23, 2013 at 4:19 pm
  8. I think the lower floor area in the master bath might be for a shower bathtub combo mini space separated from the rest of the bath by curtain or glass but open to each other. It would permit entering the tub from the side instead of the end

zulumom on January 23, 2013 at 5:40 am
  9. I would like to know how the salvaged materails will be used as well there are so many thing that can be done I.m sure that they will have great surpises for us …watching thier show ..when it can be used it will be used ..^_^<3

kathy fluta on January 23, 2013 at 4:17 pm
  10. I am so glad you made the decision to reframe. It must of been pretty bad. I want it all the more, excited

CECILIA on January 26, 2013 at 7:36 pm