Jan 15

Building Stronger; Maintaining Character

Blog Cabin 2013 Reframing Process

Today, I share a slideshow packed with images captured during the reframing process. Now’s your chance to take a closer look at the construction process; attention to detail will make all the difference as we proceed with the loving renovation of this historic home. Enjoy!

• Posted at 11:54 am on January 1, 2013

1. Isn't it nice to see all those porch support posts in place? They are not skimping on material, either, nice 6X6 posts, probably treated Southern Yellow Pine, like is used in pole barn construction. That stuff lasts forever in the outdoor environment. On top of that it is very, very strong, so no wory about that porch leaving anytime soon. :) It will be fun for everyone to watch this porch grow, so there is good solid support for the deck on top, and further support for the entire roof structure. Enjoy………….

Woodworker from MN on January 16, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    • Hi Woodworker, I'm curious to know why they would build the porch on before they finished the inside walls and the roof…In my way of thinking, I thought they would have gotten further along with the build inside and installed at least the rafters and plywood on the roof for weather protection, before they added the porch..Just curious!!!
      The Porch is really going to be nice and solid….Do you think they will leave the underneath open or have some kind of wire closure to keep animals from getting under there??? Don't need Varments getting under there and making it their home…… I think this is going to be a beautiful Cottage, just hoping that Mr. Eastman and Diy did read our comments and take some of our suggestions and use them…That is what the "on line" Bloggers are here for. In the past, they have taken some of our suggestions and we felt like we were really part of the BC …Have to wait and see if they do it this time..There were certainly enough suggestions for them to choose from…Some real good ones, I must say….Have to wait and see!
      Love this whole Process from start to finish..Hope you are enjoying this Journey!!!.

Jennie/Florida on January 17, 2013 at 5:24 pm
    • Jennie, If you look at the overall sketch of the cottage in the colored photos, you will see that the upstairs deck relies on those post supports. Then look at the entire roof structure, and you will see everything is interlocked with everything else. The house is always done on the outside first. Carpenters have to put up the entire frame, the entire roof, roof sheeting, then shingles, so weather does not get inside. No sense in even trying to build anything inside, until the structure is weather safe. The vents installed in the flood openings, will keep out rodents and critters. Hope you are enjoying the voting for the kitchen. I, like several others have been able to only vote for 4 items. Do not know what the problem. I will see what happens tomorrow morning.

Woodworker from MN on January 17, 2013 at 9:16 pm
    • Thank you Woodworker, I do realize they have to go in stages to build, now I understand why the porch was installed, but my concern was, they haven't built the Roof on and the inside has been exposed to the elements for quite some time. Of course they can finish the inside once the roof is on….I'm sure they have their reasons..So glad I'm just an observer and not the builder..Smile!!! It's so Nice to have your expertise! I bet you would love to be there with your hammer in hand and helping them!!! How great would that be????
      Mary is being very generous with her threads and Now it's hard to keep up with them all..Not complaining but saying..My days are wrapped up reading the comments and trying to keep up but the chores and yard work are suffering!!! Smile..Hope you enjoy your Day!!

Jennie/Florida on January 18, 2013 at 11:13 am
  2. Lots of work today on the porch. Way to go my favorite place of the cottage.Secially if it is screened.

zulumom on January 16, 2013 at 7:00 pm
  3. Wow, big changes! I'm glad to to read the title "Building Stronger; Maintaining Character" I'm hoping that means Blog Cabin will emphasize lots of the old house's charm into a strong new structure. Here's my broken record comment: I hope they add a screen in porch and that they save some of the vines and plants on the property!

Lia_M on January 16, 2013 at 10:08 pm
  4. ! Wow ! things are moving along I can't believe it so much progress in so little time thanks for showing us.

pixelecho69 on January 16, 2013 at 10:46 pm
  5. Ok. This has gotta be a sign! 15 years ago the DH and I eloped to this area. We celebrated our first anniversary. At Clawsons and looks like the last owner (Who so generously sold the property to DIY). Is named Evelyn….I'm not saying that they should give it to us. I am suggesting that the former owner Evelyn might like to meet my little Evelynn….the new owner. Loved the photos of the chimney you were trying to save…I know I'm late to the game but just found it!

heather on January 16, 2013 at 11:48 pm
  6. I don't want to jump the gun but on the pictures it seems (or I missed it) that they didn't frame the interior wall separating the kitchen from the stairs. Maybe they were listening to us… If that is the case thank you. Much easier to add screen to the porch than remove that wall and move the appliances around.

zulumom on January 17, 2013 at 5:58 am
  7. I do not know what the kitchen choices might be, but I wonder if they are considering a downdraft stove. I had one of them many years ago, and I loved it. I really miss it, especially because there is always room for cabinets above the stove.

Woodworker from MN on January 17, 2013 at 8:46 am
    • Great idea. They're excellent for smaller spaces and, as you say, allow for more storage above the cooker. However the cooker needs to be considerably wider than regular if the vent is between the burners. Maybe a back vent style that raises up automatically when needed will be their choice?;)

Clive on January 17, 2013 at 11:15 am
    • Clive, Those raise up back vents are super !!! I have seen them several times………….up when in use, then down and out of sight. Enjoy. However, the Jenn-Air is conventional size, with the vent in the center. With this kind of stove, it can be vented under the kitchen floor, then outside through the wall.

Woodworker from MN on January 17, 2013 at 12:53 pm
  8. I am hoping that the drop floor will not be for a hot tub. DIY Please reconsider that option and make that space functional for cooking, or atmosphere warmth like a fireplace, but not another tub. If you want to consider a tub, why not a step in safe tub for the master bath which serves for both bathing, and theraputic purposes. You can still incorporate a shower head above. If a tub is placed on that drop space it will take away the beauty of the deck itself. I think it will look tacky.

Heading South on January 17, 2013 at 9:50 am
    • The step in tub is probably likely since the area is in the Master bath. For us that is the best option they could choose and since I want to move in there! The roll in shower is perfect for my husband, too, but we are soakers and want the luxury of soaking in a tub as well. That sounds greedy, doesn't it? This cabin is looking more and more suited to our needs. If it is meant to be then it will be!

grammagail on January 17, 2013 at 10:12 am
    • Yes that is what I am thinking.

Rebecca on January 17, 2013 at 2:11 pm
    • I am thinking more a spa or jacuzzi tub. This would be perfect for my disabilities as well. Who ever gets this home will be a very lucky person because it is absolutely georgous! Good luck!

Rebecca on January 17, 2013 at 2:13 pm
    • Hi Heading South, I think a Victorian Clawfoot tub would be the ideal tub for the M/B and would give more room in the bathroom with the walk-in shower…Love those Tubs and they have so much style and elegance about them. We had one in our home when I was a little girl and I just loved it…Last B/C that big old square tub looked so out of place and too modern for the Farmhouse, I thought…I wish they would just keep things simple and don't add things that don't go with antiques and this Beach Cottage. Use that extra money to Screen in the Porch and a Outdoor Shower! Logical things that would be needed for Cottage…Just my thoughts! I will got off my Soapbox now!!! Smile…I .haven't seem the Peoples Choice for the kitchen yet, can't seem to get it on my computer,. Are you having problems get the page????

Jennie/Florida on January 17, 2013 at 10:31 am
    • Never mind, problem solved.The kitchen choices are up and running…There are some Nice things to choose from…But didn't see a Refrigerator listed……I sure hope they don't go Stainless steel in this Cottage…White appliances would be a good choice for this kitchen being that antiques will be the
      theme…Just my thoughts!

Last comments above….1) That is I will "get off" my Soapbox.. 2) having problems "getting" the page…
      Typing too fast and not proof reading…Sorry guys!!!

Question, Is everyone happy with the choices we were given for the Kitchen??? Is there something you would have added that you would like to see in the kitchen Vote??? Just Curious..

Jennie/Florida on January 17, 2013 at 12:40 pm
    • The section of dropped floor is in the Master bathroom, not on the porch. :) It looks like they're planning another sunken bath like last year. :(

Clive on January 17, 2013 at 11:06 am
  9. There are still foundation materials left! Where are they going? A garage? A chimney? A greenhouse? What are your guesses?

grammagail on January 17, 2013 at 10:15 am
    • I don't think a Garage or Fireplace even though, those are on my wish list…A Green house would be nice…Just don't add things that are not logical or useful. I still have my fingers crossed for a screened porch!

Jennie/Florida on January 17, 2013 at 10:52 am
    • Entrance steps similar to Matthews house?

Clive on January 17, 2013 at 11:03 am
    • Clive, I thought the front steps to the Twin Coves looked elegant, but looked a little formal with a grand entrance..I loved it and thought with that style of Home, it fit perfect…Jason and crew really added a beautiful landscape that made the entrance even more grand..That was a really nice home on the Bay!

Jennie/Florida on January 17, 2013 at 11:35 am
    • I don't know if this is what you are talking about or not Grammagail but they haven't finished framing the entire house yet. They still have the left side to. The two bathrooms and the laundry room. They haven't studded that part out yet.

Rebecca on January 17, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Rebecca on January 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm
    • I dont know why this posted twice??? Sorry guys.

Rebecca on January 17, 2013 at 4:00 pm
  10. Wow I love all of the kitchen choices, decisions decisions! lol This house is going to be sooooo beautiful. I have voted, looked at the cam, things are rolling!!!! I still can't stop going through the old pictures of the house. Everyday I fall in love more and more. So amazing! <3<3<3<3<3:*:*:*

Rebecca on January 17, 2013 at 2:05 pm