Jan 15

Building Stronger; Maintaining Character

Blog Cabin 2013 Reframing Process

Today, I share a slideshow packed with images captured during the reframing process. Now’s your chance to take a closer look at the construction process; attention to detail will make all the difference as we proceed with the loving renovation of this historic home. Enjoy!

• Posted at 11:54 am on January 1, 2013

1. Still hoping for a real wood burning fireplace like the cabin originally had and not a gas one. Also, hoping for the use of the original fireplace surround and mantel . There is so much downed wood around to pile up and let season that it would be a shame not to use it. Maybe a fire pit or ring near the beach as well? Pat Green

Pat Green on January 16, 2013 at 11:51 am
    • Make it a wood or pellet burning stove and I'm with you. Can we get away from non-green, expensive fossil fuels such as LPG please.

Clive on January 16, 2013 at 2:39 pm
    • I was hoping for an efficient wood-burning fireplace and I like the additional suggestion to use the original fireplace surround and mantel.

Larree on January 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm
  2. Love the re-framing but can't wait for more finished photos! Thanks for the photos Mary. I can't guess what the dropped floor outside is for, hot tub maybe but it looks small, firepit of some sort? I would love to see either a wood stove in a focal location or a fireplace re-incorporated into the house. I also would love to see all the old furniture back in the house, that was a true treasure trove along with the accessories this would be fun for the decorator, VIctoria are you out there?

minitoni on January 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm
    • It looks like that dropped floor is in the Master bath area, so those who are guessing a tub are probably right.

Windsmurf on January 16, 2013 at 2:10 pm
  3. I loved the turquoised antique chest in the living room. I hope to see some of that rustic and color pattern in the new home.

samantha on January 16, 2013 at 1:53 pm
  4. The dropped floor ummmm maybe a "spa/jacuzzie tub"? It looks like it is where the masterbath is. I can't wait to see it all when it is completed. I love love love his home! :*

Rebecca on January 16, 2013 at 2:03 pm
  5. Thanks for the slide show, Mary. I enjoyed seeing things from a different perspective from the cabin cam. It fleshes things out more for us. I'll add my 2 cents worth about the screened in porch. Seems to be a necessity to me.

NancyBee on January 16, 2013 at 2:06 pm
  6. Anyone have a link where to find this home on the map? I know it's Atlantic NC but can't find the cabin on the map.

Noreen on January 16, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    • 448 seashore dr Atlantic NC. Just type the address 9on mapquest satellite

zulumom on January 16, 2013 at 3:06 pm
    • Whew! :D Thank you, ZuluMom!;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 16, 2013 at 3:15 pm
    • Thank-you

Noreen on January 16, 2013 at 4:23 pm
    • Noreen- When you get into Mapquest, there is the option to rotate the image from a 45 degree angle. That is so great, because you can then see all four sides of the cottage. Enjoy, and have fun viewing. :) :)

Woodworker from MN on January 16, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    • Thank-you Woodworker from MN

Noreen on January 16, 2013 at 6:19 pm
    • My preference is Bing satellite maps for this location. The image is better, higher resolution and greater magnification than the other aerial images and it can be rotated the same as Mapquest. Don't bother with Google maps as their high magnification image has the entire area obscured by clouds. o.0

Clive on January 16, 2013 at 6:24 pm
    • Thank-you. I did notice on goggle that it has cloud cover. You would think they would try and get a new image.

Noreen on January 17, 2013 at 12:20 am
    • Noreen, Some agencies do not always have the very current images of aerial photography. Some are usuing old imagery, that is why you can get clear views. I worked in aerial photography for over 30 years, and it is not possible to ger clear images when it is foggy. Sometimes, on a lot of our maps, there would be cloud cover, so we had to wait until they flew images on clear days. Goole Earth has very current images most of the time. Bing is still using old images the last time I checked. Some GPS services are still not thoroughly updated with all changes.

Woodworker from MN on January 17, 2013 at 8:39 am
  7. Bravo DIY! Ya'll are doing a wonderful job! I truly loved they way you incorporated the original dated bricks back into the new. I am cam watching today and it is really great the progress you are making. Also I agree that seeing the original antiques used in the design plan will make this place absolutely perfect! I can't wait!:*

Mindy_Lou on January 16, 2013 at 3:09 pm
  8. My first look at the floor plan. I sure wish the kitchen and dining room were switched around. I would a love kitchen with alll the light not a hided room.

Stu on January 16, 2013 at 4:33 pm
    • I like the powder room and laundry to catch the mess of working outside. I am wondering if there is a better way to configure that area and the kitchen. Some persons spend a lot of time in the kitchen and would like some windows. Initially, I thought that the kitchen should be against the outside wall and have an entrance (to bring in groceries) and things like a powder room and laundry room would be better located in a more internal location. OR perhaps, the kitchen could be moved to the outside wall and have a window as well as a door outside. And also re-position the mud room off the kitchen door.

Larree on January 17, 2013 at 10:32 pm
  9. DESPERATELY SEEKING BELOVED FIREPLACE THAT BURNS REAL FIRE AND USES BEAUTIFUL, ORIGINAL FIREPLACE SURROUND!!! ALAS! WHERE ART THOU HIDING FROM US BLOGGIES??? Pray tell! Reveal that secret please, before we ignite with sadness flames and brokenness tears—and melt to nothingness upon bended knees! :*:S<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 16, 2013 at 4:37 pm
    • I remember you, Kitty, from last Blog Cabin '12. Enjoy your humor in this group, and have really had fun reading all the entries. YEP! I too want a real fireplace, with having to carry wood and all of it! It would be very nice to have a niche built into the wall nearby to house a large amount of wood, so I wouldn't have to to that hauling too often, HA!

Trish on January 17, 2013 at 5:37 pm
    • Hi Trish! I remember you too! :D Thank you for writing!!! So good to see you on the Blog again! I've been having this sinking feeling about the fireplace lately, and I don't like it. I can't seem to find a wall wide enough for that antique mantel where a normal fireplace which one could enjoy as such, would go…. A little hard on the humor over that thought–sorry. I really don't want to see that unique piece wind up as the headboard for a bed. I guess I could break out in song, "…Come on baby, light my fire!…" but that might be a bit over the top, huh? I still want a fireplace though!:p:*<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 21, 2013 at 10:30 pm
  10. I am having issues voting today. Every time I finish, it will say it's taking me to see the results but, ends up back on the last page for voting – the "shingles". I tried 4 times after my original vote.

StellaF on January 16, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    • Yep, happened to me too.

Larree on January 17, 2013 at 10:33 pm