Jan 15

Building Stronger; Maintaining Character

Blog Cabin 2013 Reframing Process

Today, I share a slideshow packed with images captured during the reframing process. Now’s your chance to take a closer look at the construction process; attention to detail will make all the difference as we proceed with the loving renovation of this historic home. Enjoy!

• Posted at 11:54 am on January 1, 2013

1. Boy, I'm late? I worked in my yard all day and didn't expect the new thread until the 17th. Love your Surprises Mary..You made my Day!! The Guys are doing a great job and the Cottage is standing tall and looking mighty Strong. She is beginning to take on some shape and character..Mary are we going to have a Real fireplace in the Living room?? just One Real Fireplace and use old Mantel from the other Living Room…That would be a big start in adding History to the New little Cozy Cottage!! Thank you for the Photos…I think that is going to be a Sunken tub or a Nice big Flower or Herb Garden…Now we're ready for the next People's Choice…Just love all of this excitement…Thank you Mary, you have been so good about keeping us up to date..Makes for many Happy Bloggers!!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 15, 2013 at 9:06 pm
    • Just kidding about the sunken area being a Flower or Herb Garden!!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 16, 2013 at 6:03 pm
    • Jennie, I knew you were kidding :-) ….You put a smile on my face and gave me a good chuckle! I was thinking of flower pots or urns at everyother post on the deck would be nice. Perhaps with some herbs so one can just walk out and cut whatever they need for their cooking. This cottage is going to bless someone with much joy! and comfort!.

Heading South on January 17, 2013 at 8:57 am
  2. Wow, Thanks Dylan and Mary,
    The place is looking up. There's so much to do. Dylan you really had your hands full with the STUMP hahaha, the place held up because of the type of wood hmmmm. Was that a tree that they cut to size and built on the structure? STUMP removal. It's really looking nice,will there be another plunge pool;) Is there a septic system or public hook up. Love the 135 mph structural integrity. Island wows<3xD

MaryPA on January 15, 2013 at 10:55 pm
  3. Tonight, I went back to look at all 99 of the photos, showing the house before anything was done. Gosh, such fabulous old flooring, both in the kitchen and in the bedroom. Oh, how I would love to do something inside the new house with the old material. All that old furniture would make anyone proud, too. It is hard to imagine that the inside of the old house looks so fabulous, yet the outside and structure was so terribly bad. :( Please, please do incorporate most of that old furniture into the new structure. That would truly give our new cottage that old world charm. Try to imagine just one moment, all the things that have changed since this old house was built. So many items of the old furniture would return to its' old world charm, with very little elbow grease, just a lot of LOVE. :) :):)

Woodworker from MN on January 15, 2013 at 11:12 pm
    • All the furniture and the wood will definitely bring thoughts and flavor of the old cottage, leaving kind of a imprint of the original cottage's history. I thought some of the wood could be used to built bird feeders and bird houses. Also using the wood for shelving and bench in the mud room area. The grain on those planks is so beautiful. :-)

Heading South on January 17, 2013 at 8:51 am
    • I agree about the old furniture. It certainly would add the older charm back into the cottage environment.

Larree on January 17, 2013 at 10:16 pm
  4. Thank you for the pictures– could hardly wait for this post. Love, love, love the old bricks in the foyer foundation! I really want to get in my car and drive down to see the cabin in person. I am new to Blog Cabin. Am I to understand that some items of furniture or decorative items which were in the original cabin will find their way into the finished 2013 cabin? I just love "the jump", color and all, and wish there were some way to include a "jump" in the new cabin. Already looking forward to next post!

Sherdi114 on January 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm
  5. Glad they saved something of the old place – floor and floor plan. Looking forward to seeing what they do with salvaged material. Also glad to see the coastal color scheme is leading the vote :)

Mimitheminer on January 16, 2013 at 1:44 am
  6. I am happy to see that the foyer seems large enough to accommodate enough furniture to make it a possible extra bedroom with the addition of either a day bed or sofa bed.

zulumom on January 16, 2013 at 6:00 am
    • Yes, In the foyer, I suggest a bunk-bed sized bench that is open underneath for shoes/boots.

Larree on January 17, 2013 at 10:19 pm
  7. Mary thanks for the new photos of this wonderful cottage. The different views and angles gives a better perspective of the surrounding area. Thanks again Mary! :-)

Heading South on January 16, 2013 at 8:02 am
  8. I love see al the new pictures! The bricks saved from the fireplace are just awesome! I love keeping the history alive. What can I say the DIY TEAMS ARE THE BEST!!!! Good job guys! There has been a lot of hard work going on and much more to come.

Rebecca on January 16, 2013 at 8:26 am
  9. Is the dropped floor for a hot tub maybe???? <3<3<3<3 I love looking at the pictures!

Rebecca on January 16, 2013 at 8:35 am
  10. Who ever gets this home YOU ARE VERY LUCKY! Just beautiful!

Rebecca on January 16, 2013 at 8:37 am