Jan 15

Building Stronger; Maintaining Character

Blog Cabin 2013 Reframing Process

Today, I share a slideshow packed with images captured during the reframing process. Now’s your chance to take a closer look at the construction process; attention to detail will make all the difference as we proceed with the loving renovation of this historic home. Enjoy!

• Posted at 11:54 am on January 1, 2013

1. Here's a link to the flood protection and ventilation vents they are installing into the foundation walls.

This webpage also tells us how they work.:)

Clive on January 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    • Isn't it wonderful? All the new technology for the modern homeowner. Reading this article, it makes me think that the louvers on the cupola might act the same way, without electricity. The higher the inside temp, the further they will open. However, I do know there are electrically operated louvers for skylites and roof louvers, too, made to open when moisture is detected.

Woodworker from MN on January 15, 2013 at 3:40 pm
    • Clive, you are the Super Sleuth of the day! Very sly you are, noticing that SmartVent box in the photo ! Thanks for your great detective work.:D I don't see many openings around the present brick foundation, just that one they show in the photo? I suppose they will have to cut several openings out to fit in the smart vents? Watching this build is super interesting. Wouldn't it be fun to win the BC – especially after watching the house being rebuilt? I really admire the quality of materials and workmanship going into the project this year.<3B)

SID on January 15, 2013 at 5:48 pm
    • Sleuthing's easy when they give such obvious clues.:) We haven't seen the front side (near the road) where there may be vent spaces. There will probably be some under the porch too when it's finished. At least we know there will be some.;) Finding them may require more sleuthing that finding the vent maker.:)

Clive on January 15, 2013 at 6:11 pm
    • Hi SID,
      The openings in the foundation are on the east and west sides. You can see them in the views of the foyer/sitting room. I imagine there may be some on the back side but the only ones I caught a glimpse of when they were doing the foundation were on the east and west ends. The solid front I imagine is to take the brunt of a storm surge. IMHO I doubt there will be any cutting holes in the new foundation.

grammagail on January 15, 2013 at 6:25 pm
    • Thanks, Gail! I had only found that one opening on the west side. On the Virginia BC when they raised the house the new foundation flood vent openings were so much more obvious. If I remember correctly those vents were placed on the waterside. I was wondering how they were going to flood vent this time, especially because I don't see any openings on the south (water) side. The automatic Smart Vent technology they are using this year looks very interesting. I hope they take time to explain to us in more detail where they are installing it and how it works to channel the rising water and relieve the pressure. I'm sure there would be quite a lot of interest especially after all the tidal surge damage from Sandy. :D

SID on January 15, 2013 at 6:56 pm
  2. Always a good idea to refrain from using the old lumber and re-frame with new, especially with an old structure as this one was.

seskier on January 15, 2013 at 3:54 pm
  3. Regarding the floorplans……..I love the media room on the 2nd floor. It is a good use of space. Perfect for movie night.

Summer on January 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm
  4. Great pictures. It looks like it is coming along nicely. It went up quite quickly, and now they can begin adding more to the "heart" of the house. The skeleton (bones) of the house make it look as if it will be there for another 100+ years.

Also, can't wait for Thursday–kitchen vote!

nmdeman on January 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm
    • Ditto, the kitchen vote is always the most exciting vote for me! :p Or maybe it's the Yard, or the mega den or the etc……..B)

SID on January 15, 2013 at 5:53 pm
    • SId, usually the yard is my absolute favorite, then the kitchen vote, then the Master Bedroom/Bath and then all the rest, but this time I'm going to say the Rap Around "SCREEN" Porch will be at the top of MY
      list this time…Positive thinking PLUS, my fingers are crossed, toes crossed, Eyes crossed, arms crossed and legs crossed…Did I miss anything?? Last owner Alicia said mosquitoes were really bad and that is why the porch was originally screened in….

Jennie/Florida on January 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm
    • Yeah, it is hard to decide which vote is my favorite. Plus, every time a new vote comes up, it's always exciting to see what is new!^_^

nmdeman on January 16, 2013 at 6:31 pm
  5. Dear Mary, Thank you for the update and pictures. It is so interesting to see the building process. What a great new beginning for this blog cabin. The last one lasted over 125 years. This new/reno/rehabbed blog cabin will add on to the wonderful history the Robinson cottage had, and is sure to have a great long life. Can't wait to see more! :) <3

bythebaydreamer on January 15, 2013 at 4:49 pm
  6. Thanks for the pics>>
    I am fascinated with starting from scratch framing..
    I hope that you guys salvage as much as possible for the interior.
    I am a all about repropusing as muc has possible..
    Can't wait for more!!!

Bree on January 15, 2013 at 5:38 pm
  7. Thanks for the slideshow, Mary. Wonderful pictures, and they really explain a lot. As to the question with slide #13, I would say the dropped floor is for either a sunken tub, or a jacuzzi. Or a combination of both. Can't wait to see more!xD

I almost forgot, a great re-use of the old fireplace bricks!

Dghawk4 on January 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm
    • Hot tub was my guess too for the dropped area. Or maybe that was just a desire:p

Windsmurf on January 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm
    • Possibly another sunken tub in the bathroom like last year. I’m not a fan of this. =/

Let’s hope it’s a ‘walk-in’ tub for mobility impaired users. :)

Sally on January 16, 2013 at 12:53 pm
    • I would rather they install a nice walk in shower like the Master bath last BC and use the extra money
      on an Outdoor Shower and a Screened Porch that most of the Bloggers are asking for. The Sunken tub
      would look out of place for an Historical Beach Cottage, I think… Stay with the old look and just upgrade the Bones of the Cottage and keep the "Quaintness" of the Cottage…Just My Thoughts!

Jennie/Florida on January 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm
    • If they hold to the plans, and the plans are to scale (everything points to this being true) the area marked for the shower in the Master Bath is about 6ft x 4ft. It's located just inside the bathroom door so ideally placed and sized for a roll-in shower. :)

I agree with others who are guessing at another sunken tub in the depressed floor area. That would be a pity as it's out of place in a house like this and can't easily be removed. A big clawfoot tub would be my choice. Much more in keeping with the origins of the house (and much better resale value too). ;)

Clive on January 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm
    • I have to agree with Clive and, regret this just as he does. A clawfoot tub would suit this house better than a sunken, contemporary tub. If DIY does NOT look at ALL our input within the last two Threads and change some plans accordingly, the Blog Cabin is going to go ahead with some issues which will actually hurt its resale value somewhat. There are people on the blog with excellent background and abilities to enhance your product!!! Please, DIY, read the last two threads! We appreciate your updating us and the beautiful picture logs! It really isn't a blog Cabin IF you don't read and include the Blog,though, is it? <3<3<3^_^Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 16, 2013 at 3:27 pm
    • love the idea of a free standing tub(for the look) but also love air jet tubs (my sore back love them). I wont be disappointed either way.

zulumom on January 16, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • Ditto Jennie:)!

ruffybc on January 17, 2013 at 11:15 am
  8. So glad to see the old fireplace bricks used in the foundation of the home. Now the house has meaning. Love all the new framing they added. Looks like this house should stand for another 100 years. Can't wait to see it completed.

Noreen on January 15, 2013 at 7:37 pm
  9. Frow the west living room wall it doesn't look like there will be a fireplace between the windows like the rendering suggested.

zulumom on January 15, 2013 at 8:10 pm
  10. Mary, Thank you for the terrific slideshow!
    Amazing progress.
    The round brick surround is terrific!
    The incorporation of the original fireplace bricks looks great.
    A wonderful update, like other commenters, I think what we are watching being built/re-built will be beautifully and sturdily standing there well into the next century .. and beyond!

Lester B. on January 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm