Jan 15

Building Stronger; Maintaining Character

Blog Cabin 2013 Reframing Process

Today, I share a slideshow packed with images captured during the reframing process. Now’s your chance to take a closer look at the construction process; attention to detail will make all the difference as we proceed with the loving renovation of this historic home. Enjoy!

• Posted at 11:54 am on January 1, 2013

1. Nice slideshow and explanation! My husband has been watching and trying to figure it out as they went. He did pretty good actually! Thank you for the new thread and more insight into this fascinating build! Love catching Dylan Eastman when he is on site with his camera! Thank you, Mary, for the consistent posting of these reports!

grammagail on January 15, 2013 at 12:09 pm
  2. So the old home is gone… Well at lest the new one will be stronger and last longer!!! ^_^
    Well I cant wait to see it!!!!

asandmancan on January 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm
    • I agree, it's too bad the rustic charm of the old home is lost, but perhaps an better, safer home in it's place. I have confidence the DIY Guys will pull off another fabulous home. Maybe even for me.

Sand & Surf on January 16, 2013 at 10:45 am
  3. It will be interesting to see how the salvaged wood and the antique furniture will be incorporated into the home to maintain its historic vibe.

Sue on January 15, 2013 at 12:20 pm
  4. Thank you Mary, great pics. Looks like things are coming along nicely. I cannot wait to see the finished product, and see the show!

Stephany on January 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm
  5. Wow. That was a surprise! A whole new house! After viewing the photos of the house (that stump holding up that one area was scary!) it makes complete sense. I am glad the decision was made to bring things up to code, and repurpose existing materials as possible. Good decision!

Debra G. on January 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm
  6. The foundation for this home looks thick and sturdy. I love the red brick surround. And, I am glad to see that the framing of the house has begun. Thanks for the update Mary!

Summer on January 15, 2013 at 12:48 pm
  7. Love it,Love it,Love it!<3<3<3 Thank you for the photo update Mary!

SID on January 15, 2013 at 12:49 pm
  8. Thanks Mary for the up dated pictures.
    Is that still part of the old cottage framing under the new flooring? (picture #14) Is that why the floors are uneven in places? If so then part of the old cottage still lives on in the new cottage in the sills. Now how grand is that, the sill that was there from the start of the old cottage and is still there for the start of the new cottage. Giving it the strength and life of the old to kind of hold hands with the new. You won't see it once it's all covered up, but just knowing it's there gives the cottage it's rustic beginning back with the new life it will have is kind of a great thought. Helping it to live another 100 years, like the old generation helping the new generation get started in life. :-)
    Now I see why they didn't want to bring the foyer out to make the kitchen there, they put the bricks from fireplace (build by…) there and it would all be covered up if they made the kitchen go out from there. Could always make it go the other way (length wise) and still have a nice outside kitchen. (Just a thought!) Guess it's all set in stone now and can't be changed… ;-)
    The views look good from the second floor, can't wait to see out the upstairs windows of the bay.

home_girl on January 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm
  9. What else can I say, except…MAGNIFICENT construction. Only question I have is how come the upstairs floor joists are spaced 24" on center, instead of 16" on center.? The code must allow this, with the engineered joists. Enjoy. I have to get back to my painting.

Woodworker from MN on January 15, 2013 at 1:19 pm
  10. Great new images and information. Now I know what those 5 bricks that I can see in the foyer foundation are. Everyone approaching the main entrance to the cottage will now see those. It's a great 'nod' to the age of the original building. A little like a plaque over the dront door similar to that which the house had last year. :)

Good to see that there's no difference in the brick size or shape on the mud room foundation eiither. Some were concerned that there was a different brick line and brick size there but it's all conforming to the same shape and design. :)

Clive on January 15, 2013 at 2:40 pm