Jan 7

Starting from Scratch: Why We Reframed

Reframing Blog Cabin 2013

For those who’ve been glued to the Cabin Cam over the last 48 hours, your eyes do not deceive you. We made a decision in the 11th hour to completely reframe Blog Cabin 2013. Why, you ask? Project manager Dylan Eastman and the design/build team deemed wall studs too short, floor joists (previously ceiling joists — a big no-no) too small, roof rafters too small and termite damage beyond repair.

We counted at least six renovations (highlighted in the above photo), which were pieced together and clad inside and out with very forgiving coverings that could be easily patched, caulked and/or renailed as needed. We certainly don’t want the lucky winner of Blog Cabin 2013 to worry about shifting/sagging, cracking walls and the subsequent repair work. To properly install new, efficient roofing, siding, flooring and drywall and achieve code requirement, we had no choice but to replace studs/joists. We could have retained the original studs, but they would have served no structural purpose, as all door and window locations and sizes have changed.

We salvaged wood from the original house and will reuse where we can. Our goal at this time is to maintain the charm and character of the original structure and honor the history of the home and the entire region as we rebuild.

• Posted at 4:12 pm on January 1, 2013

1. Just found this blog. Project looks amazing! Can't wait to follow the progress

Patricia on January 15, 2013 at 1:54 am
    • Welcome!

Rebecca on January 15, 2013 at 8:54 am
    • Patricia glad you found us. Have you voted for the peoples choice? I think the 16th is the last day for this round.

vicki_in_Utah on January 15, 2013 at 9:02 am
  2. Good morning guys! Looks like a rainy nasty day today. I can't wait for the 17th, it's right around the corner!!! wooohooo

Rebecca on January 15, 2013 at 8:53 am
    • Good morning Rebecca! That's fog this morning accounting for that high humidity! Seems to be lifting a little. Waiting to see the cement truck arrive like I think it will. Jan 17th will be fun won't it?

grammagail on January 15, 2013 at 10:08 am
    • It's raining where I am and I am not liking it! lol I don't like getting up b4 the birds in cold rainy weather. It sucks! lol

Rebecca on January 15, 2013 at 11:55 am
    • We will get to vote on the kitchen items hopefully.

Rebecca on January 15, 2013 at 11:56 am
    • I must have missed an update….What happens on the 17th?

Goin2SC on January 15, 2013 at 10:17 am
    • we will get to vote on the kitchen items hopefully

Rebecca on January 15, 2013 at 11:57 am
  3. Just voted this morning, I vote once a day to see the totals. i think this is a first for me, all my choices are ahead. last year I don't think that ever happened.

vicki_in_Utah on January 15, 2013 at 9:18 am
    • Mine are all ahead except one is in 2nd but it doesn't really matter because the leading one would have been my second choice anyway. ;)

Rebecca on January 15, 2013 at 11:58 am
  4. So sad that a lot of the old cabin has to go, but the safety & sound build of the home is important. PLEASE PLEASE leave the old pump there.. That is so awesome !!! i grew up with pump water at my grandmothers house. Just seeing that brings back the best memories ever. :0)

STEPHANIE on January 15, 2013 at 11:34 am
    • I know I love it and asked the same thing ;) . It would be such a great yard ornament. This home is going to be so beautiful. <3<3<3

Rebecca on January 15, 2013 at 12:00 pm
    • Stephanie. I will second the motion. I am sure they will use the old pump somewhere. Growing up, we had a pump exactly like that, right in our bathroom, because it pumped water from the cistern that was filled from rainfall from the roof. That was before we had running water or a bathroom in the house. My Dad had a hand pump, much taller than this one, where we would pump water for the hogs and other animals every day. Going to country school, we had a pump like that to pump water for use in our 2 room school, before an electric pumpjack was installed. Yes, the good old days. :) :)

Woodworker from MN on January 15, 2013 at 3:32 pm
  5. Wow they are really rolling today! I am still glued to the cam. I am so glad this has been a mild winter so far.

Rebecca on January 15, 2013 at 12:12 pm
  6. Can't drag me away from the cam today at all! lol Wow there are guys all over the place today! What a hard working crew. Men working on the porch, men working in the house…..they are moving!! ;) Got to love that crew. <3<3<3<3<3<3

Rebecca on January 15, 2013 at 3:32 pm
  7. I love that another house is being done at a beach location. The pictures of the original house were sweet and quaint but I think it's good that the house is being redone somewhat as it looked a little rickety and termite damage is usually much worse that you can see. I can't wait to see what it looks like when finished. I know it will be beautiful. I hope someone truly deserving will win it. Good luck to all including me.

Bree on January 15, 2013 at 5:10 pm
  8. New thread Everyone! Update and nice closeup photos!

Jennie/Florida on January 15, 2013 at 10:37 pm
  9. Very nice to see a new thread this morning!!!! wooohooo

Rebecca on January 16, 2013 at 8:44 am
  10. When I saw this year's blog cabin, it tugged at my heartstrings, because it reminded me of my childhood, of those families who were fortunate enough to have "lake houses" or "beach houses" and who always made room to invite the rest of us down for a vacation. This home certainly was one of those in its lifetime. I saw it in the grapevine and hydrangea, in the old boat dock where we would have fished or sunbathed. I fell in love with it. Now that you are helping it rise like the phoenix and be reborn as a strong and beautiful new home, it will keep its spirit of joy, I am certain. I hope the lucky person who wins this home will realize the way we old southerners used them and just maybe, one of us old southerners might even win it!

BrookwoodCarolina on January 16, 2013 at 10:21 am