Jan 4

More Interior Construction Details

Blog Cabin 2013 Interior Remodeling Details

Project manager Dylan Eastman shares new details about the home’s interior and discoveries made during the demolition and home lifting:

1. Most of the first floor framing consists of 2 to 3″ wide by 4 to 5″ tall joists that span 12 to 14 feet — not up to modern standards. Further, some additions where somewhat poorly ledgered onto others. To split spans down to no more than 6 feet, the new foundation includes mid-span piers for (4) 2×8 dropped girders.
2. A layer of 4×8 sheet paneling concealed amazing 7/8″ T&G paneling. The original paint is flaking off the original paneling to reveal a wonderful patina and wood grain; the unpainted area marks the location of original chair rail trim, installed in line with the window sills.
3. A traditional framing technique, studs were installed at the edges of doors and windows. Horizontal infill nailers were then installed to attach the exterior sheathing and interior paneling to the studs.
4. Most of the termite damage occurred around leaky windows and doors.
5. Pieces of trim were dismantled over the years to repair storm-damaged walls. Trim was labeled and then reinstalled.
6. To gain ceiling height and bring the house up to current 130 mph wind loads, the roof will be rebuilt 2’6” higher. Wood from the original roof will be salvaged.

• Posted at 4:35 pm on January 1, 2013

1. it so interesting to watch the work being done to this great old cabin. awesome work!!!

susan bedard on January 11, 2013 at 8:08 pm
  2. So happy to join in the fun!..Have entered before but never blogged….Beautiful…Love to watch DIY it gets us motivated. I have an old 100yr Barn that DIY may be interested in using the old boards and beams…The transformation is amazing….Mel

Mel on January 12, 2013 at 4:56 pm
  3. Even though you had to make Changes to the Cabin, you were able to keep the integrity of Building I think that is great, my Husband was happy to see the incorporation of the “BUILT JULY 1895 BY PAKE” for the chimney. This cabin is going to be so peaceful, and be part of nature for the area it is located and I would love to retire there . We are active in our young sixties and our Family and friends would enjoy this great home with so much History. Great Job to all involved.

pammyj48 on January 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm
  4. This project go's a long way in projecting just how-much more difficult and creative a contractor must be, to rebuild than start from scratch. Retaining the warm comfortable charm of this old-girl will certainly be a challenge. I hope the voting bloggers don't modernize it to much.

Billy Irvin on January 14, 2013 at 2:55 am
  5. It is so great to see the "Cove" becoming another "dream-home" for someone who will have the opportunity to live on beautiful Core Sound…..asdid the formwer residents from so long and not so very long ago…

windygale on January 14, 2013 at 9:57 pm
  6. I loved the interior from the "before", I really hope the "after" will have a similar feel…;)

biessy on January 14, 2013 at 9:58 pm
  7. I love the "before" interior to biessy! I have stated that very same thing. It just makes the home seem to feel so warm and cozy. That down home country feeling.

Rebecca on January 15, 2013 at 12:36 pm
  8. Mr. Eastman….When is & how does one enter this contest….I'm a dreamer whose cold in Oregon…Sincerely Katherine S. Plowman-Eastman :)

Katherine Eastman on January 15, 2013 at 5:19 pm
  9. I hope to see some of the old furnishings painted and reused in the final rebuild.

Peacefulily on January 17, 2013 at 7:20 pm
  10. thank you guys for doing all this wounderful work to bring a home that was one falling apart and in need of alot of help and bring it back to life using alot of it own wood and salvaging anything you can and giving it to one lucky family to enjoy for the rest of their life …one day I hope to win bt I will keep watching because I would love to do what you do and be able to fix a home up so nicely..I try to pick up tips watching blog cabin.. ;)

kathy fluta on January 20, 2013 at 3:48 am