Jan 4

More Interior Construction Details

Blog Cabin 2013 Interior Remodeling Details

Project manager Dylan Eastman shares new details about the home’s interior and discoveries made during the demolition and home lifting:

1. Most of the first floor framing consists of 2 to 3″ wide by 4 to 5″ tall joists that span 12 to 14 feet — not up to modern standards. Further, some additions where somewhat poorly ledgered onto others. To split spans down to no more than 6 feet, the new foundation includes mid-span piers for (4) 2×8 dropped girders.
2. A layer of 4×8 sheet paneling concealed amazing 7/8″ T&G paneling. The original paint is flaking off the original paneling to reveal a wonderful patina and wood grain; the unpainted area marks the location of original chair rail trim, installed in line with the window sills.
3. A traditional framing technique, studs were installed at the edges of doors and windows. Horizontal infill nailers were then installed to attach the exterior sheathing and interior paneling to the studs.
4. Most of the termite damage occurred around leaky windows and doors.
5. Pieces of trim were dismantled over the years to repair storm-damaged walls. Trim was labeled and then reinstalled.
6. To gain ceiling height and bring the house up to current 130 mph wind loads, the roof will be rebuilt 2’6” higher. Wood from the original roof will be salvaged.

• Posted at 4:35 pm on January 1, 2013

1. I figured as much. Thanks for the update. It is terrible that you had to totally scrap it but rather be safe than sorry. Plus it has DIY's reputation on the line as well. Could read those headlines now! Anyway I still love what you guys have planned and I am still glued to my laptop watching as you build someones own little paradise! Much Love

Rebecca on January 7, 2013 at 6:50 pm
  2. SID- Thanks so much for you nice comment. Yes, we are thankful we were finally able to give these 4 children a decent home, forever. Sure, there are problems now and then, but were expected after the biological mother was on drugs when they were born. They all have issues, but are getting much better. Some people tell us we were crazy to adopt the 4 children, but, how long can a person allow them to live in nothing but foster homes?
    I retired in 2004, and adoption was final in November of 2010…………yes, I guiess we probably are crazy !
    I missed all the action at the cabin today, 'cause I was busy installing ceramic backsplash in the kitchen. Yes, I agreed with the decision to reframe the entire cottage. A person can only cover up so much, but in the end, it is still an old structure. Might as well start from scratch, and use the old lumber to enhance other spots.

Once again, Thanks for the kind comments about our children.

Woodworker from MN on January 7, 2013 at 8:46 pm
    • As a 'more seasoned' adopted parent of kids with challenges to another I salute you and wish you all the very best. Hang on and enjoy the rollercoaster ride. :D

Clive on January 7, 2013 at 9:48 pm
    • Clive, Thanks so very much for the nice comment. Yes, it sure is a rollercoaster ride some days, but we are hanging in there.. Have a super day, and enjoy the nice photos of the cottage being rebuilt. Gotta get back to my grouting of the backsplash. :) :) I see the upper floor joists were installed yesterday, and the plywood is getting put on the lower walls.

Woodworker from MN on January 8, 2013 at 9:15 am
    • <3

LLColeman on January 8, 2013 at 5:01 am
    • :*<3<3<3<3

Rebecca on January 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm
  3. Thanks for taking on so big a challenge. The old house is reminescint of the southern style homes in SC which settlers first inhabited. The old building methods were crude sometimes, but sturdy. They lasted for quite a while, don't you think, compared with the buildings of today? I for one will vote on the colors and styles for interior/exterior finishes, and hope we can keep the historic aspect of the home's integrity. I grew up in an old house in MD, and remember when we installed plumbing for water. I no longer had to go to a neighbors well and pump water for cooking and drinking. I remember newspaper inside of the walls for insulation, when we tore a wall out after a rain leak. We read papers from more than 30 years before. Thanks for brining this house back to some glory of its former self.

Esther on January 7, 2013 at 9:54 pm
    • Esther- When I remoded that 100 year old farm house, I found newspaper that was nearly as old as the house. People would be surprised at what is hidden in the walls of these old home. One thing inside most of those old walls, is very solid home saw lumber, far better and stronger that available nowadays. Some of the old lumber is so hard, and so dry, it dulls a saw a drill bit after just a few cuts. The attics and walls are full of bat poop, as well.

Woodworker from MN on January 9, 2013 at 9:08 pm
  4. I agree with screening the porches — needed in NC. Plus with having an outdoor shower (another possible resue of an out building).

adele on January 8, 2013 at 10:08 am
  5. Nothing is better than watching an old house with an unbeleivable amount of years getting reloved again….You look at the construction of these houses and it just does not compair to a new home. I am amazed to watch all that goes into the exterior prep for this renivation. Such an exciting process.

neeckster2003 on January 8, 2013 at 1:52 pm
  6. It just amazes me as well! There is so much that goes into planning and taking a job like this on. Then when getting into it there is way more damage than expected which really sucks but the DIY Team are the best. They have just turn around and roll with the punches even when it probably put them way over what was budgeted! Good job DIY Team!

Rebecca on January 9, 2013 at 2:55 pm
  7. I love the Homes that you build every year everyone does such awesome jobs on them and they are all are so special so much talent who would not love to win .my husband and I sign up all the time Hoping that we will be one that might get called just like everybody else . We retire very soon so keep up the great work and we will keep on trying to win and watch you guy building new house every year .Also we Enjoy watching International house hunting. And Watching the decorators designing home .Keep are HGTV going because we would be so bored if we didn't have them to watch. thanks to you all .From Coor Family in New Mexico

William & Debra Coor on January 10, 2013 at 10:37 am
  8. Wow! I'm really exited about this. I love the site – its perfect for a beach bum like me!

Sandfly on January 10, 2013 at 5:09 pm
  9. I'm happy to hear of all the work being done, the tongue and groove paneling sounds very nice, it's great you are restoring it.

Lyn on January 10, 2013 at 11:19 pm
  10. Looking at these pictures just shows us what happens to the beautiful old homes through many many years. It is very sad this home has so much damage though and people have been just patching and not really fixing the problems. I do understand though because it costs money to fix things and some of us like myself really don't have the money to do so. I don't know about you but it seems that everything breaks down when you really can't afford it to.

Rebecca on January 11, 2013 at 7:32 pm