Jan 4

More Interior Construction Details

Blog Cabin 2013 Interior Remodeling Details

Project manager Dylan Eastman shares new details about the home’s interior and discoveries made during the demolition and home lifting:

1. Most of the first floor framing consists of 2 to 3″ wide by 4 to 5″ tall joists that span 12 to 14 feet — not up to modern standards. Further, some additions where somewhat poorly ledgered onto others. To split spans down to no more than 6 feet, the new foundation includes mid-span piers for (4) 2×8 dropped girders.
2. A layer of 4×8 sheet paneling concealed amazing 7/8″ T&G paneling. The original paint is flaking off the original paneling to reveal a wonderful patina and wood grain; the unpainted area marks the location of original chair rail trim, installed in line with the window sills.
3. A traditional framing technique, studs were installed at the edges of doors and windows. Horizontal infill nailers were then installed to attach the exterior sheathing and interior paneling to the studs.
4. Most of the termite damage occurred around leaky windows and doors.
5. Pieces of trim were dismantled over the years to repair storm-damaged walls. Trim was labeled and then reinstalled.
6. To gain ceiling height and bring the house up to current 130 mph wind loads, the roof will be rebuilt 2’6” higher. Wood from the original roof will be salvaged.

• Posted at 4:35 pm on January 1, 2013

1. I love the cabin! What a great space . The care and time in renovating it will be so worth it when it's completed. The best of the old and new.

Cindy on January 6, 2013 at 8:25 pm
  2. I am amazed at how you take a home that looks hopeless and make it a work of art. What a special talent.

Cindy on January 6, 2013 at 8:43 pm
  3. When I saw the pictures of inside when first bought, I thought it was already done. It was furnished so pretty. Is any of that going to be left? I loved the picture of the little girl and the dog hanging on the wall in the bedroom and the square dining table. The painted floor under the table and the shell knobs on the bathroom sink cabinet was charming also. I know the structure has to be repaired, but please keep some of the old.

alyson on January 6, 2013 at 8:44 pm
    • Wasn't it perfect as is ? Wish there were a way to win a place, furnishings and all—with the home not needing such a complete gut job.

LLColeman on January 7, 2013 at 2:36 am
    • I did too!! Buuut I DO look forward to all they will do to make it even better!

AnG!e on January 17, 2013 at 3:44 pm
  4. I love to see an old home remodeled. Our first home as a married couple was a comdemned home we bought and totally remodeled. All we had that was usable was a frame, a furnace, and a hot water heater! We turned it into a really cute cottage that we lived in for 5 years before selling it and building our next home. We had it framed and did most of the interior ourselves. We lived there for 26 years. We had our current home built by a custom builder in 2003. We missed the hands on experience. When I pass an abandoned home, I think of all the people who once lived there and the stories the house could tell.

Katherine on January 6, 2013 at 10:56 pm
  5. Ok, I have not looked at the blog cam for a few days, but "Where is the old house"? =/<3

bythebaydreamer on January 7, 2013 at 9:53 am
    • Well I just spent some time "on the dock", looking out at the water. I think I would even settle for the opportunity to "pitch a tent" on the beach. The newer construction hides the older framing. I am sure the DIY team will make ts coastal retreat absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to see more!:)<3

bythebaydreamer on January 7, 2013 at 10:13 am
    • That is so funny bythebaydreamer because my husband and I love camping and I have said the same thing. lol Hell lets just go pitch a tent by the dock! I agree it is just soooo beautiful it is hard to stop looking at the pictures. Much love!

Rebecca on January 7, 2013 at 10:43 am
    • I don't think they were able to save it. It had a lot of damage. I was waiting for an update to actually tell us.

Rebecca on January 7, 2013 at 10:44 am
  6. It is so much fun to watch the framing of this cottage and invision along with the blue prints what will evolve after it is complete. Its amazing how the old walls just seem to dissipate, and the new framing gradually masks the old. I do wish some windows would be incorporated on the front of the house as to make the appearance more inviting, overall it is still a great layout.

Heading South on January 7, 2013 at 10:03 am
    • It is amazing watching. I can't stop. This home is going to be just amazing. I don't know if they really planned on putting the old windows back in because the newer ones are way more cost efficient. They may not be old but they are beatiful as well and will help the owner save money in the long run.

Rebecca on January 7, 2013 at 10:36 am
    • I'm concerned about the lack of windows at the front of the house too. The way they have it drawn doesn't look very inviting. :S

Sally on January 7, 2013 at 1:05 pm
    • Agreed. :/

AnG!e on January 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm
  7. Hey guys how are things going? I just looked at the cam and things are moving right along at a fast pace. Those guys are amazing. Well if they weren't able to save the old home at least they will have plenty to incorporate from it. They have furnishing, wood, the fireplace bricks inscribed…etc. It will still be someones own little paradise. So beautiful and there is still history there with the land and the families that use to own it. Much love!

Rebecca on January 7, 2013 at 10:33 am
  8. What lovely new "bones" are showing and I noticed the Andrew Roby bin to the right has a recycle sign on it. There is a huge pile of salvaged lumber to the back of it and a pile of salvaged shakes. I do believe there will be some incorporation of the old into the new. Like many, I would have been happy with the antiques cabin lookinng as is but this is a rebuild and people expect new conveniences and look. The new cottage will be one to embrace!
    What fun it is to vote every day and watch the building crews come and go. My hat is off to
    Andrew Roby/Coastal and the firms he has subcontracted with, like Simmons Construction, to get the job done!
    Dylan, you are a Class A project manager!

grammagail on January 7, 2013 at 11:17 am
  9. About Blog Cabin 2012 for those wanting to know what's going on there. I asked Carole and she said that no one been there over the holidays it stayed empty, so sad… She said the only sign of life she seen around there was that someone shoveled off the walkway & in front of the barn after our last big snow storm last week.
    So I would say they might be getting ready to list it up for sale. She said she would let me know when the for sale sign goes up.
    I can't see winning a home and not wanting to stay in it even if for only a few weeks before I sold it. It's all furnished so you would only need to bring the food you need to eat, to stay there.
    I guess some folks don't care about things like that, might be that they only entry for the money you could get from selling them which is understandable.

home_girl on January 7, 2013 at 2:40 pm
    • It IS so sad, Rhonda! I guess, for the winner, Kentucky is just too far. Or they don't want to grow attached. Or they never cared in the 1st place. Would be nice if they'd drop the price dramatically and you and Ken Day could duke it out at an affordable cost…sigh. :D ;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm
    • I could only wish, But it's only a pie dream for me, I would be the only one loving it there. Roger says to far from anything so he wouldn't want to live there, even if we could afford it. So if Ken Day could get it I am sure he would invite me to visit and I could enjoy it with him.
      Beside what I could afford to give her for it, she just might as well give it away, anything over $125,000. would be out of my price range. Nice thought though…

home_girl on January 8, 2013 at 5:07 pm
    • Are you sure? Maybe they have other things they have to get in order first. You never know, maybe they just plan it to be a vacation spot. You never know unless you hear it from the horses mouth. I wish them all the best as well as you.

Rebecca on January 7, 2013 at 6:54 pm
    • Well back when it was told who the winner was, John asked when they was putting it on the market, someone from her blog wrote and said Jan 2013. So we are going by that.
      Would be great if they decided to keep it and used it for a vacation home, either way don't make any differents to me was just letting the other blogger know what's going on at the 2012 BC.

home_girl on January 8, 2013 at 5:12 pm
    • Thank you Rhonda for the update…. Too bad a Home that Nice is just sitting and getting dusty..
      Our virtual Blood, Sweat and Tears went into that home…It was so much fun dreaming of the Farmhouse..and begged for things to make the home nicer and more family friendly….I liked everything about it… except– no powder room on the first floor, no stairway to the basement, the GREEN siding, not enough storage, no garage or covered pergola to protect vehicles from the weather, no windows on the second floor to enjoy the beautiful water view….other than that, there were a lot of thing that were great…the kitchen/dining, Master bedroom and bath, the guest suite, the great back deck and patio, the landscaping front and back, the beautiful property and I can't forget the beautiful old Red Barn! I Loved that barn and of course the neighborhood…Nice thinking about it again!!

Jennie/Florida on January 8, 2013 at 8:47 pm
    • Ditto here! We were very actively invested in the build and decor of that BC from the beginning. Jennie is right about the sticking issues. We also followed every bit of news and announcements released by the winner, so we were aware that she was not planning to keep it. Many of us dreamed about the place, wishing, somehow one could have kept it. One of the biggest issues with that BC was the tax structure for Waldoboro, ME. Any waterfront property is taxed highly there and the ARV would be hard for most people. But, boy oh boy, we had fun on that blog last year!!! We're talking side-splitting, roll over and nearly die laughing, fall on the floor fun!! I'll never forget it!!! ;) :p:D:D<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 8, 2013 at 10:26 pm
    • I believe the tax angle is just too much to bear from most of the winners. Unless a person is very flush with cash, just paying the gift tax would be overwhelming. It does not surprise me that some winners simply sell the property, because they cannot afford the tax, and the added personal property tax. I have no idea what kind of taxes there are in North Carolin, the site of this BC. :(

Woodworker from MN on January 9, 2013 at 9:04 pm
  10. For those that don't know..There is a New Thread!!

Jennie/Florida on January 7, 2013 at 5:55 pm