Jan 4

More Interior Construction Details

Blog Cabin 2013 Interior Remodeling Details

Project manager Dylan Eastman shares new details about the home’s interior and discoveries made during the demolition and home lifting:

1. Most of the first floor framing consists of 2 to 3″ wide by 4 to 5″ tall joists that span 12 to 14 feet — not up to modern standards. Further, some additions where somewhat poorly ledgered onto others. To split spans down to no more than 6 feet, the new foundation includes mid-span piers for (4) 2×8 dropped girders.
2. A layer of 4×8 sheet paneling concealed amazing 7/8″ T&G paneling. The original paint is flaking off the original paneling to reveal a wonderful patina and wood grain; the unpainted area marks the location of original chair rail trim, installed in line with the window sills.
3. A traditional framing technique, studs were installed at the edges of doors and windows. Horizontal infill nailers were then installed to attach the exterior sheathing and interior paneling to the studs.
4. Most of the termite damage occurred around leaky windows and doors.
5. Pieces of trim were dismantled over the years to repair storm-damaged walls. Trim was labeled and then reinstalled.
6. To gain ceiling height and bring the house up to current 130 mph wind loads, the roof will be rebuilt 2’6” higher. Wood from the original roof will be salvaged.

• Posted at 4:35 pm on January 1, 2013

1. It now appears from the progress at the cabin that they are demolishing all of the original framing and completely rebuilding the frame using new materials. I wonder if the need to completely rebuild was known when the cabin was originally purchased? DIY has really taken on a big project this season. The Blog Cabin has never had the operating budget of other HGTV affiliated homes such as the HGTV Dream Home. In light of all the reconstruction I am even more impressed with the features DIY plans to include in the home this season. <3<3 DIY, the team of you and Dylan Eastman rock!:D

SID on January 6, 2013 at 11:18 am
  2. WOW I wasn't expecting to see anyone working on the cabin on a Sunday. But they sure are taking this old girl apart. DIY must not of know how bad it was or they would of bulldozed it from the start.

vicki_in_Utah on January 6, 2013 at 11:53 am
  3. At least it is nice weather for the workers this morning, no rain, and 48 deg. It was -10 this morning here in So. Utah. So it was nice to watch the workers not all bundled up working in the cold.

vicki_in_Utah on January 6, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    • Oh no! Not more of that stuff headed our way! We just did a 10 below at night stretch and it finally is back up to the high teens and low twenties for lows. Forties and fifties sound absolutely balmy right now! My greenhouse goes to 60's when the sun is out full. Nice escape.

grammagail on January 6, 2013 at 12:55 pm
  4. Oh my goodness, these guys are on a role today!!!! They have accomplished a lot since I looked at the cam at 7am this morning. WOW is all I can say! Good job guys!!!! If I lived closer I would bring you guys some nice not chocolate or coffe in the morning and some nice home made beef stew for lunch!!! You guys are awesome!!!

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm
  5. I left the computer for about an hour to water the houseplants and when I get back the original cabin is all gone! I almost cried when I saw the last (south wall) laying on the ground. :( If there were an emoticom for tears I would use it now. It must be necessary or DIY would not tear everything down, but from an historical perspective it is so very sad. Alicia and other members of the family must be heartbroken. This project must have become very expensive from a construction perspective. A lot of money was no doubt already spent to lift the original structure above the flood plane. I only hope DIY will still find a way to do all the wonderful things they had planned. The new floor plans with the porches, cupola and even to repair the dock are so perfect this year I cannot help feeling very emotionally invested. I have perfect confidence that the builders have made the necessary decision and they will still build a beautiful home, and that the DIY designers will make wonderful repurposing projects out of the pieces that remain. But I can't help feeling sad for the poor little house that withstood all those years and storms.<3

SID on January 6, 2013 at 2:00 pm
    • I know SID I feel so sad, it would of been so much cheaper, to just bulldoze it and then do the foundation with out paying for the lift and drop of the house. They must of found just too much damage. So Sad.

vicki_in_Utah on January 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm
  6. I hope everyone sees that the exterior walls are 2X6 lumber, with the interior walls 2X4's. The thicker the walls, the more room for inuslation, to keep out the hot weather in summers, and warmer in winter. I am kinda curious whether the insulation will be spray foam, or fiberglass. I see the crew is larger today than the past few days. It is amazing what 5 guys can do in one day. If I lived closer, I would donate my time, to at least carry lumber, and clean up the mess, for this hard working crew. Hey, I could even do some outdoor grilling for them, too, sionce I love to cook.

Woodworker from MN on January 6, 2013 at 2:08 pm
  7. Looked at the cam a few times today to watch framing of the house. All of the old cabin was torn down. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to have just torn it down to start with? I guess you had to do it this way to be grandfathered in as a remodel, instead of a new constrution. Also, looking at your floor plan for the master bedroom I noticed you have no windows on the back wall. A couple of high windows on each side of the bed for light would be nice, maybe the smaller six sided round type would work to keep with the cottage feel.

Todd on January 6, 2013 at 4:59 pm
    • All construction, whether brand new house or major reno., must be raised by code. That part wouldn't have changed. Maybe there were issues with grandfathering as another blogger has suggested. The need to keep the original house footprint may have been essential.

I don't believe they didn't know the state of the house before they commenced. They're professionals and they paid $1/2 million for it as it was. No one puts that much down and doesn't get a full structural survey. They're reclaiming a lot of the wood (can't remember whether floors were included in that).

It would be great if they have their usual "ask the builder" section a little later and we can ask what the rationale was behind the way they approached this project.

Interestingly the wall with no windows is at the front of the house, not the back. I've seen that before but not often. Kerb-appeal will be a bigger challenge this time. ;)

Clive on January 6, 2013 at 6:39 pm
    • The terms "front" and "back" are confusing when the property is on the water. If you remember the phrase "the cottage fronts on the water" it helps us to see that in this case the front of the cabin is the water side.
      We had a camp on a lake and all our front doors were lakeside. Much of our company, in season, came by boat to the dock and all our activity was centered around the lake. Groceries came from the driveway in the "back" door. Roadside was at the "back" of the camp. there were many who argued the fact but the camp obviously had a front door on the water.This is normal for "waterfront" property.

grammagail on January 7, 2013 at 10:59 am
    • The front of any house is the side of the house facing the road that gives access to the property. That's a rule and doesn't change even if the house is on the lake or sea shore. A house 'fronting' a lake is defined as a house where the rear aspect faces towards the water. The only exception to this is if there is no road or other access on the inland side of the house.

It's quite common for people to mix these up, especially on shorelines but all official plans will show the front of a house as the side facing the road (paved or not). If the only access is by water then the water side of the house becomes the front for legal purposes.

Clive on January 7, 2013 at 4:02 pm
  8. OMG! What a twist! The whole house had to be torn down. My surprised l @ @ k !!

Blog Cabin the best reality show ever….'cause you never know what will happen!

Mary please call Cap'n Eastman ASAP, and get the bloggers details! This is sad, and surprising. It would be nice to hear from our on site project manager soon. Thank You.

Mel on January 6, 2013 at 5:04 pm
    • There is SOMEONE on this blog who takes delight in the thumbs down approach, rather than just sharing their different point of view, Mel. I don't understand why you were dinged for honestly stating the obvious and sad news–well, I fixed it. I was dinged in similar manner today at least twice, when I thought my statements were fair minded and inclusive. So apparently, someone just likes to put others down. Yeah, they react, knock 'em when they're down! :( Too bad–especially when some folks such as you, are, no doubt, heartbroken about the need for complete re-build of outer walls (see my post just above). I don't believe anyone, including DIY, saw it coming! There were too many compromised and unseen structural risks under the wallboard. DIY will have taken the direct hit from this, I think, and I feel for them–goodness knows they tried to keep as much as they could keep of Dobbie's Cove. I hope that Mary or Dylan will acquiesce to your request and explain the final decision process, if only to help some of us to stop our eyes from "misting up…"<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 6, 2013 at 6:14 pm
    • Thanks Kitty, when I get dinged I always tell myself they were aiming for the thumbs up button and missed :)
      In this case, since you say you're being targeted too, I'd say I did upset someone with my post. I'm sorry for that, because I do try to word my posts in a manner so I won't offend anyone, and I know you do too. I did state Blog Cabin is the best realtiy show, which is a Bold statement of opinion—the dingers might be–Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Keeping Up With the Kardashians, etc…
      Anyway …….I'll keep on keepin' on and you will too Kitty!

Mel on January 6, 2013 at 7:03 pm
    • That's a brilliant attitude, Mel. Polite, friendly opinions should not upset anyone. The old adage "if you can't say anything nice…." should be reworked to "if you can't give a thumbs-up…" :)

Moving2theCoast on January 6, 2013 at 8:10 pm
    • Moving2theCoast, I like your new phrase!;)

SID on January 6, 2013 at 9:02 pm
    • You should always express your opinions no matter what others think. It's called freedom of speech and we are all here to have fun and interact with one another in a positive way. I wouldn't pay attention to people doing stupid crap like that if I were you. It just shows their lack respect for what this blog is all about.

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm
    • Thanks Everybloggie for your kind words of support!
      Yes I agree this is a format of free expression, and fun. (especially for us pirates)

Mel on January 7, 2013 at 10:17 am
    • Aaaaarrgh!!! Is what i have to say to that!:*:pB)Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm
    • Everybloggie! Cute! Thanks for the chuckle. And even though Im kind of a newbie, I will say that I have went thru and read many posts of yours, SID's and several others' and I, personally enjoy MANY of these bloggers who are here and with great ideas. Just thought you should know, not every newbie misses out on your genius. ;)

AnG!e on January 17, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    • Don't worry about the thumbs thing Mel. We all know your opinions are always respectfully phrased. Consider it an honest mistake or perhaps someone new who just doesn't realize most folks here consider a thumbs down to be bad manners. In any case at least they can't give us the old number "1" sign! lol

SID on January 6, 2013 at 8:57 pm
    • That is funny SID! Well Mel I would give you a high five! I love reading your posts.

Rebecca on January 7, 2013 at 10:50 am
  9. With all the issues that were uncovered, I had a feeling that they would have to rebuild the cabin. What I am really impressed with is that they didn't just bulldoze the house and cart it away, or worse (heaven forbid) put a match to it and burn it to save time and money. Instead they treated her with respect, slowly removing the layers as an archaeologist on a very important find. My hat is off and I bow to you Mr. Dylan Eastman and DIY Network. It will definitely be interesting to watch this build and see where and how their archaeological find are repurposed.

Dghawk4 on January 6, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    • Dottie, I totally agree with you! DIY and Dylan Eastman have treated this gem with such amazing respect and awe and my own respect and awe for DIY and this Year's Blog Cabin Project Manager has shot up to the stratosphere! To attempt to save and preserve tidbits and memories of this Robinson Family Legacy has moved me to tears, as I have seen today's live cabin cam depiction of new, fortified outer walls, which say adieu to the originals DIY fought so hard to save! If walls could talk, the new ones will surely pay homage to the shadow-memories of those now gone and say, "we'll take a stand for you and carry on as proudly as you did–rest now–your job was well done!" The repurposing of Dobbie's Remnants now are going to be the icing on my cake…:p<3xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 6, 2013 at 5:55 pm
    • Beautifully said Kitty.

SID on January 6, 2013 at 6:19 pm
    • I agree!

Mel on January 6, 2013 at 7:06 pm
    • I completely agree Kitty! But I will say that watching the original structure go was like saying good bye to an old well loved friend. I know that the DIY team are going to give it new life while maintaining the integrity and memory of the original. Loved watching the cam today!

Mindy_Lou on January 6, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    • I had to quite watching the Cabin Cam, it was too sad.

vicki_in_Utah on January 6, 2013 at 8:47 pm
    • <3<3

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 8:16 pm
    • <3^_^

Dghawk4 on January 6, 2013 at 11:25 pm
    • EXACTLY!!! They ALWAYS do the BEST they can. I am confident and have every reason to be. Rock (& roll) on DIY!!

AnG!e on January 17, 2013 at 3:37 pm
  10. On the second floor that large media room could easily be transformed into a kid bunker with girls on one side and boys on the other , you only have to add doors for privacy. Further more a wall between the 2 could be built; it would require the use of 2 single french doors to the porch instead of a double. This would give you 4 private bedrooms plus the entrance foyer .

zulumom on January 6, 2013 at 8:15 pm
    • I was thinking that I would like to throw in a few bunk bed sets and turn the media room into an open dormitory. No wall or door would be needed and both genders could sleep modestly there. When I traveled through New Zealand a few years ago, I stayed in hostels that had open dorms and they worked well for the younger people. Personally, I'm not that young, so I always got a private single room, but the young folks seemed to enjoy the camaraderie that the open dorm provided.

Moving2theCoast on January 6, 2013 at 8:28 pm
    • I agree that would be perfect for a bunch of grand children together.

zulumom on January 7, 2013 at 6:20 am