Jan 4

More Interior Construction Details

Blog Cabin 2013 Interior Remodeling Details

Project manager Dylan Eastman shares new details about the home’s interior and discoveries made during the demolition and home lifting:

1. Most of the first floor framing consists of 2 to 3″ wide by 4 to 5″ tall joists that span 12 to 14 feet — not up to modern standards. Further, some additions where somewhat poorly ledgered onto others. To split spans down to no more than 6 feet, the new foundation includes mid-span piers for (4) 2×8 dropped girders.
2. A layer of 4×8 sheet paneling concealed amazing 7/8″ T&G paneling. The original paint is flaking off the original paneling to reveal a wonderful patina and wood grain; the unpainted area marks the location of original chair rail trim, installed in line with the window sills.
3. A traditional framing technique, studs were installed at the edges of doors and windows. Horizontal infill nailers were then installed to attach the exterior sheathing and interior paneling to the studs.
4. Most of the termite damage occurred around leaky windows and doors.
5. Pieces of trim were dismantled over the years to repair storm-damaged walls. Trim was labeled and then reinstalled.
6. To gain ceiling height and bring the house up to current 130 mph wind loads, the roof will be rebuilt 2’6” higher. Wood from the original roof will be salvaged.

• Posted at 4:35 pm on January 1, 2013

1. 1) Please reconsider the first floor layout. It is not very practical to trek the food from the kitchen all the length of the living room to the dining room.
    2) Some amount of screened porch is essential. The more the better. Trying to eat out in the evening will be horrible with the mosquitos. That screening is also part of the design in the area.
    3) Can ADA adaptations be included inconspicuously?
    4) What are the vines? Can they be saved?

Rainbowlady44 on January 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm
    • Are you looking at the new floor plan for the remodel? The floor plan is open with the kitchen right next to the dining room, so that should be convenient.

Moving2theCoast on January 5, 2013 at 5:28 pm
    • What ADA adaptations do you have in mind?

AnniesOwn on January 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm
  2. I keep looking at the cam. Those poor boys are working their butts off! I can't stop looking at the cam.

Rebecca on January 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm
  3. 1) Please reconsider the first floor layout. It is not very practical to trek the food from the kitchen all the length of the living room to the dining room.

Rainbowlady44 on January 5, 2013 at 5:42 pm
    • Are you looking at the real plans? ;)

The kitchen opens into the dining room. No food needs to go through or into the living room – unless it's hot chocolate to drink in front of the living room fire. . :)

Clive on January 5, 2013 at 6:12 pm
    • LOL!;)

SID on January 5, 2013 at 7:28 pm
    • Clive, it looks like they are completely closing in what we previously thought would be blowholes in the foundation brick. Have you seen this before in a flood prone area? I'm confident the builders are doing everything to current code but I'm curious how this would work. Would the bricks just break away or is the plan to deflect flood water around the structure?

SID on January 5, 2013 at 7:34 pm
    • I agree with Clive. It looks to be an open floor plan. There is no wall between the kitchen and dining room. I know it looks like there is but if you look at the dark lines that is the wall. The light grey lines just were not deleted when they drew the plan but it is not a wall. ;)

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 10:05 am
  4. I am so excited to get this BC started! It's going to be such a beauty! Can't wait to see how they do it all, it's all so far above anything that I could take on, but I am learning so much. I do like the idea of screening in the porch though, it would be really nice to hang out on the porch with a good mint julep in hand. Is there any room for a pantry in the kitchen?

Stephany on January 5, 2013 at 11:11 pm
    • There would be with a little reconfiguration; expand the peninsula all the way to the post to include sink and dishwasher (this would give you beautiful sound views at the sink and many bar stools on dining room side), move stove to where the sink was and the fridge wall to the old stove location. Open the wall to the stairs side (it would make this kitchen feel much larger) and there would be room for a nice pantry to the right of the fridge..

zulumom on January 6, 2013 at 7:25 am
    • Hmmmmmmm. I think that might work. I especially like the idea of opening up the kitchen more to the stair hall. That way the kitchen would not only feel more open and spacious, but would also benefit from the light from the cupola in the stairwell. ^_^B) A kitchen pantry is always a plus.

SID on January 6, 2013 at 9:26 am
    • Zulumom I hope they consider your changes. I hate the idea of washing dishes looking at a wall. I've brougnt up the importance of having a pantry in a home this remote several times now, and was disappointed it wasn't included in the floor plan. This home really needs a pantry!!

Mel on January 6, 2013 at 10:26 am
    • Yes, I think we are all in agreement on the need for a pantry, and I really like the sound of zulumom's plan. I really hope they listen!

Stephany on January 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm
    • You nailed it, Zulumom! Good storage seems to always be a huge sticking point in these DIY projects. We fuss and remind and beg. We're doing it again, DIY! Yesterday, I made and posted a list of major storage needs including pantry for kitchen…. B):*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 6, 2013 at 2:44 pm
    • With no windows in the kitchen there's more wall space for cupboards. It may be possible to carve out a small pantry or extra storage cupboard in the Mud Room just outside the mechanical area / hot water heater cupboard.

There should be some storage space under the stairs.

There's a linen / blanket closet outside the upstairs bathroom and a towel store area inside that bathroom.

Clive on January 6, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    • Clive, I think that closet upstairs is described as a mechanical closet? Nevertheless, I believe you've mentioned some places where space can be captured, but I currently live in beach country and know that's not enough–though it is a start. Under the stairs would make good storage for brooms, mops, other cleaning supplies, such as a vacuum–it adds up fast. Blankets stack up, as do extra sheets, for guests. There is currently nowhere shown for battening outdoor furnishings during winter, much less storms. ANY outside loose items can become projectiles during Nor'easters and hurricanes and MUST be put into closed storage. I believe such a room, even if no garage is built, should be built on! It is absolutely a necessity! xD:o:DxDKitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 6, 2013 at 3:29 pm
    • You're forgetting the dock reno. :) Plenty of options in that for storage outside.

You're probably correct about that small area being mechanical room, same as in the Mathews house with mechanicals upstairs (nowhere underneath ;) )

Cedar blanket chests are, I believe, an easy remedy for storage of thet sort of thing.

There's still some space in the Mud room that can be used.

How about the outside shower being on the deck just outside the Mud Room French door? There's a space on the deck for it. Or, it could be just beside the deck there. Great location for it IMHO. :)

Clive on January 6, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    • You're right, I wasn't considering the dock reno, Clive! :| Hoping that that area will have an outdoor kitchen/ grill/fish-cleanng area with running water. :D Cedar chests are great, so long as there is floor space–I love those! I have suggested outdoor shower from get-go, since we're on sandy beach area and I like your suggested location, just outside the mudroom. I'm still concerned that outside furnishings, chairs, rockers, cushions, outdoor games, grill, etc. need a solid enclosed room, built directly off the rear of the house would be better. Storing in a boathouse or shed of sorts near the water or by dock is more risky to break-up and causing projectiles to form, IMHO. The Matthews house lacked storage and nothing could be kept underneath. I'm sure the Winner had to build a garage, lawn equipment and outdoor storage shelter. This is a must here, too. Lots of trees could fall on a car…Great ideas, Clive! xD;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    • How about something constructed under the deck for storage?

I'm not a fan of garages in places like this. Simple carport sunshade to keep sun (and occasional rain) off. In a huge storm the material of the awning will be lost but metal tube poles will remain so little chance of damage.

I'm not sure but I think I remember from 2011 that any permanent garage would also need to be raised the same height as the house. If true that would add mega bucks to the cost for sure. :( Historically DIY Blog Cabin has never built detached or attached garages.

Clive on January 6, 2013 at 10:28 pm
    • Clive
      i agree about a carport instead of a garage (that I do not think they do)? What if they even had a pergola to tie in with the grape structure they already have on the property? and maybe even add to it with the landscaping-protection for a car next to the house for easy tranport of items to and from the house and then trail the pergolas to work them into the patio/porch area/deck whatever is planned for the landscaping. Many people have commented on the grapes/bushes to be salvaged?
      I still in addition would like to see something like a shed/gazebo in line with the dock reno as Kitty has suggested and for toys and equipment storage:)

ruffybc on January 7, 2013 at 11:05 am
    • Hi again, Clive! I'm not so worried about a garage or carport–that would be nice. My deep concern, however, IS for lawn care equipment, space within which can be stored and secured all outdoor loose objects, when a storm is imminent. This is mandatory to save lives and property. If lawn furniture, bird baths,grills etc. are outside during mighty winds, they become projectile weapons which can fly through the walls of the house , hit and even k-ill somebody. Out door lawn equipment needs covering also. Atlantic, NC, is an area blessed with 4 seasons, a temperate climate, but will have salt air, very hot and humid summers, and relatively milder winters, though snow and ice are a possibility from time to time. The closer to water storage means more chance for salt and humidity/mold/rust damage, which is why I am insistent upon location being towards the back of the house. Under deck might do for some items, Clive, but I think you may be missing the main issue, which includes outdoor mowing equipment , tools, etc, which should not get wet. Under the deck would not meet that criteria. And if there were a storm, under the deck would be like under the Matthews VA BC, where one doesn't want "projectiles" floating and banging around under the house, damaging any part of supports of foundation. I believe the only solution is some type of building structure strong enough to survive storm's high winds, while sheltering all the normal outside furniture activity, and maintenance equipment such a 3 acre property will require.B):D Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 7, 2013 at 1:46 pm
    • Kitty I would like to see them build an outdoor storage shed too. Goodness knows they should have enough wood to do it. Why go to all the trouble to salvage shingles and wood and not put them to use? I've always felt that as a BC blogger it's our JOB to ask for things, and show the education and idea possibilities watching the Diy network will give you. Like have you ever seen a beach themed pagoda? Me neither, but with pylons, salvaged wood, etc.. maybe Diy would build a coastal version, maybe add some porthole windows. These guys push the envelope for landscaping design, so I could see a coastal version of a pagoda shed at BC. A structure that would provide practical storage for the winner. Here's a link to give you guys an idea of a traditional Asian inspired pagoda, and Yes that is "Wheels" from House Crashers building it…I guess Josh Temple loaned him out http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/pagoda-shed/4984

Mel on January 7, 2013 at 2:46 pm
    • Mel, that was AWESOME! So beautiful–and I thought I wouldn't care for it! I am sure that even a stand alone structure for storage would help, but I am still stuck on the addition of storage to the house proper. It always provides for better grounding during storms. Again, a free-standing magnate building is like a flag begging for punishment in high winds. I've lived through too many nor'easter's, hurricanes and major floods and have, in some of these, sustained major to total losses! Voice of experience speaking here–haranguing a bit, but only because I know and I care….B):o<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 7, 2013 at 3:15 pm
    • Kitty life experience is the best teacher, so I appreciate where you are coming from. I'm on board with the idea of proper outdoor storage for all the reasons that you listed. All the better for that storage to be best suited for NC coastal weather!
      Blog away Kitty, blog away :) :) :)

Mel on January 7, 2013 at 3:35 pm
    • Thanks Mel! Sorry I'm so late getting back to you–It took me some time to relocate your post! :( It's true there's less chance of fly-away projectile storage sheds and contents when the storage room is built onto the main structure–I just wish DIY took this issue MUCH more seriously. Somebody's life or limb could depend on this!:o:|B)<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 21, 2013 at 10:38 pm
    • TOTALLY 100% Agreed! SOO HOPE they listen!!!

AnG!e on January 17, 2013 at 4:13 pm
    • Hi AnG!e Getting the sneaky suspicion they aren't READING our posts, because of what is emerging in the construction, as it appears to be progressing. I'm kind of motivated by a combo of safety, carefully mixed with convenience, comfort and creative use of space to include good storage, future use, according to possible needs changes and the like. I'm probably over-detailed for some, but I'm always thinking beyond what's needed today, what if tomorrow, or if one MUST in the future–then what? It comes from growing up very much independently and having to be most creative to live with whatever I had to work with at the moment, if this makes any sense.xD^_^<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 21, 2013 at 10:56 pm
  5. Already voted and then took at look at the cam. I can barely see it because it is just a little before day break but could make it out. It looks like the guys got a lot accomplished yesterday. I think I am going to need a 1800 number for blog addiction! lol If I am not looking at the cam or pictures I am here blogging. ;) Everyone on here seems so friendly.

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 8:01 am
    • Rebecca, you are like me, always checking on the progress of this home. I have been around construction all my life, living on a farm, having a woodworking business, and having a brother in the carpentry business for 30+ years before he retired. My mom's family were all eletricians and carpenters, so I have always been around building, remodeling, landscaping. I think most people do not quite undestand how small this home really is, and are expecting too many things from it. We have to live with the present house's footprint, and take it from there. Old houses are a marvel, always a battle to redo things, but, always so much character when the job is completed. Like the old saying, " They don't make them like they used to ".

Woodworker from MN on January 6, 2013 at 11:47 am
    • I totally agree! That is what I have been trying to say but I guess you said it better. The house is small and they are remodeling it not making it a huge mansion. lol I guess I have grown up a bit different to, I don't have much but I am greatful for what I do have. I think the designers did a great job on this one. I work hard even though with my disabilities it is very difficult but I have to. I need to retire and have surgery but I cant because I wouldn't be able to afford it. When I retire I will be making less and then I would be on the street. lol Anyway I got off track, I watch DIY all the time. There are a lot of things that normally I would have to hire a contractor for but watching this shown has shown me how to do a lot of things myself. I love that.

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 1:38 pm
  6. Just finished looking at the cam. Looks like they got a lot accomplished yesterday. It is really starting to take shape guys. Once they get it reframed the way they need it, I feel it will start moving so fast it will make our heads spin. Sorry I keep posting guys but I am so addicted to the blogging it's crazy. If I am not blogging I am on here constantly looking at the cam and the pictures not to mention the voting. I love voting and seeing which style is in the lead that day. This is just so fun. Thanks DIY for letting us take part in the project from beginning to end! Much love and stay safe! <3

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 8:34 am
  7. WOW just looked at the cam and the guys did a lot of work yesterday. It is starting to take shape. Once they get all of the reframing done it should start transforming really quickly right before our eyes. I am so excited.!

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 9:15 am
  8. What a surprise this morning! The framers are already busy framing the second story.. I didn't expect them to be working on the weekend. Hurrah to the hardworking crew!

SID on January 6, 2013 at 9:44 am
    • Second that hurrah! Hard working crew is in action! Wonderful to see people willing to work for a change!

grammagail on January 6, 2013 at 9:51 am
    • I know my sons that do framing have to work all crazy days, it depends on when the plumbers, or electricians, drywallers etc are coming.

vicki_in_Utah on January 6, 2013 at 12:00 pm
    • I know they are out there like every day it is amazing! I really didn't think they would be out there 7 days a week but they seem to be. What hard workers!!! You go guys, get r done!!!

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 2:26 pm
  9. Wow, now I see how they were able to raise the ceiling height on the lower level, doing it a section at a time, then using engineered floor joists between floors. These carpenters are just like me, working 7 days a week, when needed, to get the job done on time. What a marvelous job they are doing. Keep up the great work. I also see the layout stakes for the porch on the other side of the house are up, too. Anyone would be proud to move into this home.:) Our 4 adopted children love watching the progress.

Woodworker from MN on January 6, 2013 at 10:25 am
    • Wow 4 adopted children. That is wonderful! You are definately like me and can't keep my eyes off this website! lol I am constantly all day long checking the progress. I think it's good that the kids like watching it. I don't know how old your children are but as they get older they can learn alot just from watching the DIY network show. You being a person with a long line of construction and electricians probably will teach them a lot anyway. :) Best of luck!

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 1:43 pm
    • Yes, Rebecca, we have four adopted children, all elementary age. They are 7, 9, 11, and 12 years old. We have had them for almost 3 years now, after knowing them for the past 6 years. They are just like our very own children, since we have known them this long. They came from an abusive home, and we said, finally the" buck stops with us", after they were in 7-8 different foster homes. They love watching the DIY channel. That is about the only channel I ever watch. Even when I have been busy installing new laminate flooring, slate tile, and painting walls, I find time to spend with the kids. I keep telling them "Watch for Josh Temple, and the other DIY people, when we go shopping for materials. Thanks for the nice note. :) :)

Woodworker from MN on January 6, 2013 at 9:04 pm
    • Woodworker, Thank you for sharing your story. People like you help to make the world truly beautiful. I know how much you must enjoy your dear children, may your family be blessed.

SID on January 7, 2013 at 5:28 pm