Jan 4

More Interior Construction Details

Blog Cabin 2013 Interior Remodeling Details

Project manager Dylan Eastman shares new details about the home’s interior and discoveries made during the demolition and home lifting:

1. Most of the first floor framing consists of 2 to 3″ wide by 4 to 5″ tall joists that span 12 to 14 feet — not up to modern standards. Further, some additions where somewhat poorly ledgered onto others. To split spans down to no more than 6 feet, the new foundation includes mid-span piers for (4) 2×8 dropped girders.
2. A layer of 4×8 sheet paneling concealed amazing 7/8″ T&G paneling. The original paint is flaking off the original paneling to reveal a wonderful patina and wood grain; the unpainted area marks the location of original chair rail trim, installed in line with the window sills.
3. A traditional framing technique, studs were installed at the edges of doors and windows. Horizontal infill nailers were then installed to attach the exterior sheathing and interior paneling to the studs.
4. Most of the termite damage occurred around leaky windows and doors.
5. Pieces of trim were dismantled over the years to repair storm-damaged walls. Trim was labeled and then reinstalled.
6. To gain ceiling height and bring the house up to current 130 mph wind loads, the roof will be rebuilt 2’6” higher. Wood from the original roof will be salvaged.

• Posted at 4:35 pm on January 1, 2013

1. I want Ahmed.

Nebraska on January 5, 2013 at 12:21 pm
    • DITTO! :D <3

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 5, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    • I will GLADLY step in to this line!!

Mel on January 5, 2013 at 2:23 pm
    • Me too!!!!!

Eugenia27 on January 5, 2013 at 4:52 pm
    • —it is officially a chorus of protest now !

LLColeman on January 6, 2013 at 6:00 am
    • Don't forget me, I want to be in that line too!! We all miss Ahmed's smiling face!!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 6, 2013 at 10:02 am
    • I ditto your vote for Ahmed! Where did he go?:)

ruffybc on January 6, 2013 at 11:42 am
    • Me too, I so miss him. And D&D those guys are the best for outside work. Please bring these 3 back to the BC.

vicki_in_Utah on January 6, 2013 at 11:43 am
    • Vicki
      Yes, them too!:)

ruffybc on January 7, 2013 at 10:56 am
  2. I'm hoping they either moved all the big seashells or that the reclaimed wood pile is to the side of them and not crushing them. It would be a shame to loose all of those beautiful shells that could be included in some aspect of the new design, indoors or out.

AnniesOwn on January 5, 2013 at 12:23 pm
    • Me too Annie, they could be used in a crafting project, or displayed in a beautiful glass container.

Mel on January 5, 2013 at 2:27 pm
    • unless they were planned for crushed shell mosaic….=/

LLColeman on January 6, 2013 at 6:02 am
  3. Any chance Jason will host the entire BC this year?

Nebraska on January 5, 2013 at 12:25 pm
    • That's a good idea Nebraska! I'm sure all of us would like that. He would be the perfect Host!!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm
    • Charlotte and Jennie, I'm pretty sure that Chris Grundy is hosting BC again this year. i don't recall just where it was that I heard it, but I believe I got this idea from the fact that he introduced the new BC location in Atlantic, NC. Either that, or I'm loosing my marbles…

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 5, 2013 at 10:23 pm
    • I know he did the intro – but one can hope.

Nebraska on January 6, 2013 at 1:19 pm
    • I think I lost my own marbles when I was 9 or 10, so you're doing great! I have to join the chorus to recall Ahmed and D&D. Jason would make a great host for the show.

SID on January 6, 2013 at 2:19 pm
    • I agree! I'm afraid that this house has lost its marbles–or walls–looks like we have a total rebuild to me now! Amazing what one finds under the previous wallboards… way too much patchwork in the original building upgrades–amazing she stood so long! B);)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 6, 2013 at 2:32 pm
  4. Wow I just can't wrap my mind around this project it is big thank goodness for the professionals at DIY they have so much to do will they use some of the reclaimed wood inside or maybe outside the BC.

pixelecho69 on January 5, 2013 at 1:32 pm
  5. I love the rustic feel of this home, I hope you use some of the interior furnishings in the rebuild.

Barbara on January 5, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    • I agree "Barbara". There were so many beautiful things filled with character- all over the house. I too hope they use those things too. You wrote what I was thinking so, I had to chime-in. lol ;)

StellaF on January 6, 2013 at 1:22 am
    • .Me three! Some of those furnishings would be wonderful inside the new interior.

Moving2theCoast on January 6, 2013 at 3:19 am
    • I agree the old pictures are so full of charming furniture. I also hope they reuse the sink in a dresser. I hope for that cottage look in the new cabin.

zulumom on January 6, 2013 at 7:20 am
    • I totally agree Barbara! I am a country girl and looking through the pictures I love the way they have furnished it. Old antique furnishinga are so cool. I also really like the light house things they have placed throughout. My kitchen has light houses throughout too. Something that I have always loved as a little girl. This home just looks so cozy and comfy and I think it has a lot to do with the old furnishings.

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 8:42 am
  6. Mel previously posted a request for the bloggers to contribute ideas for repurposing materials from the cabin.:$ I'm not sure who originally found this idea and posted the link last season, but I've found it again and will try reposting it. I'm not sure how to attach a link, so If this link doesn't work just type into the DIY search bar "Nautical Outdoor Kitchen". I think this would be great inspiration for a clever deck or dockside idea .http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/nautical-outdoor-kitchen/101081.html

SID on January 5, 2013 at 2:28 pm
    • LOVE that idea, Sid! Bring it on! :*:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 5, 2013 at 10:25 pm
  7. Sorry, I don't think the link works as I've posted it. Can someone who knows how to do this properly perhaps find it and post it correctly? Thanks so much, and I apologize for not remembering who originally found and submitted this clever video clip last season!:$

SID on January 5, 2013 at 2:33 pm
  8. SID you are to fast for me! I posted it on the front page, and I will post it here as well.

Dean & Derek are so TALENTED http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/dockside-lobster

Mel on January 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm
    • Thanks for helping Mel! I must have missed your earlier post. Maybe a dockside Boat Crab Bar? I can totally see this as part of the BC this season. Also love that there was an outdoor shower!

Dean & Derek are indeed talented!

SID on January 5, 2013 at 3:05 pm
  9. To solve a few of the things Kitty mention, move the kitchen like I said (to the side) that would open it up for room for storage, more counter top, pantry, eat-in area etc. Windows!
    Move laundry room area to where kitchen is now (bigger room for washing clothes etc & could be used for pantry/storage too), move powder room to where the Laundry room is now and turn the front part where entry way & powder room into a mud-storage area or foyer. Have build-in wall closet for all the fishing gear, outside toys, coat, boots, and what ever else one would need storage for, with bench to sit on to take off the sandy shoes.
    It looks like a big closet in the great hall up stairs off the bathroom for bedding and things unless that's something else.

home_girl on January 5, 2013 at 2:57 pm
  10. cont.
    As for a 3rd bedroom, just have a folding wall to make where the build-in bed is a 3rd bedroom for guest. That would still make it so you can have the open space for gathings if you need it, game room, media area for some family may like family movie nights too. Then the other half could still be used for other guest to sleep too if the need comes. Kids can sleep on the floor in sleeping bags or blankets, great fun for some. That makes it 4 bedrooms now.
    I am sure there will be someplace out side for a shower room, I think it's part of the fun for the outdoors area folks to come up with. Maybe do it up in a light house, wheel house/cabin, or an old fashion bath house they used to have near water to change clothes in. Idea could run wild here.
    That's a lot of changing floor plans down stairs but give folks what they want too.

home_girl on January 5, 2013 at 2:57 pm
    • That could work but, as I already blogged, there are 4 bedrooms already. The two designated plus the 'so called' Media room with its Murphy bed (a blogers wish since 2007) already included in the plan and the Foyer which is plenty big enough for a double sized day bed. The Living, Dining, Kitchen and Stairway Hall are all open plan so they're one big space with areas set aside for different functions. Any gathering would use this space and flow out to the porch easily. A TV (possibly a mirror TV) could go over the fireplace in the living room area if needed. The bonus room (Media room) would remain virtually unused unless it were used as a bedroom. Thus, the cottage is really a 4 bedroom house and (IMHO) extremely well planned and laid out. Best design of all the renos by far (IMHO of course). :D

Clive on January 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm
    • Yes I saw that you did.
      I like most of it just the way it is but for the kitchen, seem tight with no room, light or windows. Plus that was one of the spots I loved most about the cottage when I 1st saw it. All bright, cheerful with blue & white colors, with the lived in look. What with the table to sit around talking and sharing, even loved the rocking chair out there, brought back so many memories of my Grandmothers.

I just gave those ideas for those wanting a change. Wonder what happen to the rest of it? I like the big media room, all the things it could be a family/game room, bedroom, study, artist/drawing room even a music room, list could go on…
      can't wait to see it finished, but will have fun filling in the time with voting for things and my little in puts here & there. :D

home_girl on January 5, 2013 at 4:58 pm
    • Kitchen is small (about 6 x 9ft) agreed, but with no windows there's more wall space for cupboards and storage. A solar tube could bring natural sunlight into this area. However, it's open to the Dining Room, Living Room and Hall / Stairs so it's not really enclosed. Anyone using the Kitchen will be able to enjoy the ocean views easily. It's a compromise necessary with such a small house. Some creative positioning of the dining area furniture would help I believe. There's no reason the dining table has to be oblong or square. If the owners bring the table a short distance away from the windows and the Mud Room, more towards the living room area and stairs it would look very different.

How about moving the entrance to the Mud Room a little more towards the French doors then making a U-shaped counter where they have the oblong counter now? That could be a breakfast bar still leave a dining area and all with those wonderful views.

This is a small house, barely 2000sq ft., the design they have come up with opens it as much as possible and I doubt anywhere inside will look or feel small or cramped. :)

Clive on January 5, 2013 at 5:50 pm
    • Clive I agree with you 100 %. I think this is really an excellent small house floor plan. There really shouldn't be any problem with a dark kitchen- especially if the voters choose white or light colored cabinets. Lots of light will flood into the interior of this space through those south facing windows and doors. I feel especially confident because the layout of our own present home is very much like this open floor plan, with the kitchen on an interior wall and south facing windows opposite. It perhaps would be gloomy on sunless days, but our builder used lots of overhead CF can lights and under cabinet lights, so even on dark days it is very bright and energy efficient. I'm confident the builders will do the same here. With an open floor plan you look right out the windows and doors on the opposite wall – it doesn't feel at all closed in! I do like your idea of a solar tube- a neighbor has one of those and doesn't use lights even on a dreary day. I know it works with an attic overhead, but can one be installed when there are also rooms overhead?
      I'm with you also in not understanding all the concern over only two bedrooms. As you said, if needed the media room could very easily become a lovely spacious dedicated 3rd bedroom. If a wall and door were built just to one side of the french doors in the media room it would make a 4th (though tiny) bedroom.

SID on January 5, 2013 at 7:21 pm
    • I love the idea of a solar tube in the kitchen! Personally, as I've stated before, I love the layout of the new design. You're definitely correct about it being a wonderful use of the space. :)

Moving2theCoast on January 5, 2013 at 9:34 pm
    • I agree. Also, if the front porch was screened in, then futons or cots could be used on the front porch. Wouldn't it be great to sleep with the sound of the waves and the feel of the ocean breezes on you?

Moving2theCoast on January 5, 2013 at 5:32 pm
    • love the idea being able to use the porches as much as possible-screening would so help that:):) It would be marvelous to be able to take a nap or sleep on the porches-bug free:):)! We are so lucky to have the balcony finally-we bloggers have requested this feature many times in past homes. We have also asked for screened in areas so hopefully they will hear us and do that with this home?:)?:)!Please!:) It does not seem like an expensive or hard item to incoporate into this home and would add so much sleeping potential to say nothing about entertaining area-bug free! and somewhat protected during the rain. I also love Clives idea about solar tubes-they are so neat! love that natural light for overhead and surrounding light. I really like task lighting under counter lights, esp in the evening.

ruffybc on January 6, 2013 at 11:52 am
    • I AGREE! Listen to this poster, DIY! A built-in bed in the media room to also use as an extra bedroom! Thats AWESOME!! You GO, Home_Girl!! ;)

AnG!e on January 17, 2013 at 3:17 pm