Jan 4

More Interior Construction Details

Blog Cabin 2013 Interior Remodeling Details

Project manager Dylan Eastman shares new details about the home’s interior and discoveries made during the demolition and home lifting:

1. Most of the first floor framing consists of 2 to 3″ wide by 4 to 5″ tall joists that span 12 to 14 feet — not up to modern standards. Further, some additions where somewhat poorly ledgered onto others. To split spans down to no more than 6 feet, the new foundation includes mid-span piers for (4) 2×8 dropped girders.
2. A layer of 4×8 sheet paneling concealed amazing 7/8″ T&G paneling. The original paint is flaking off the original paneling to reveal a wonderful patina and wood grain; the unpainted area marks the location of original chair rail trim, installed in line with the window sills.
3. A traditional framing technique, studs were installed at the edges of doors and windows. Horizontal infill nailers were then installed to attach the exterior sheathing and interior paneling to the studs.
4. Most of the termite damage occurred around leaky windows and doors.
5. Pieces of trim were dismantled over the years to repair storm-damaged walls. Trim was labeled and then reinstalled.
6. To gain ceiling height and bring the house up to current 130 mph wind loads, the roof will be rebuilt 2’6” higher. Wood from the original roof will be salvaged.

• Posted at 4:35 pm on January 1, 2013

1. I agree with screening a section of porch. I am loving the updates. Beautiful something old is new again. So cool.

ConnieB'ham on January 4, 2013 at 9:39 pm
  2. O.K. I'll third the vote for screened porch. I currently live in the South Carolina Low Country and have also lived in coastal North Carolina. Screened porches are a definite must have for these environments if the home owners are to get significant use of the porch. I really appreciate the plans to reuse as much as possible from the original home. It just gives so much character to the house.

CelticMarine on January 4, 2013 at 9:55 pm
    • I agree! A screened in porch and then part of it just being open yet covered is the BEST way to enjoy the coast, if not the only way – to enjoy! Im so excited for the reno! Awesome work so far guys. And thanks for the updates Mary & Dylan!

AnG!e on January 17, 2013 at 3:06 pm
  3. Great to see new postings to keep viewers coming back more frequently. I agree with CelticMarine referring to screened porches. I believe the low tides provide a buzzing of horseflies/greenheads ,and of course, the mosquitos and flies love us too. However, the "water" breezes are certain to help scoot them away. Maybe a nice large screened gazebo, in the middle of the wood walkway from the house to the pier, would compliment BLOG Cabin. You got my vote and I have started packing!

samidiving on January 4, 2013 at 10:22 pm
    • I agree with the Gazebo. I can see one about halfway towards the dock. I wonder, though, whether flooding would be a problem there. It is sloped towards the water it seems. I like the idea of a veranda – porch that wraps around. This is relevant to the houses built in the south. Thank you Mr. Dylan for the update. I'd appreciate more of them.

Esther on July 11, 2013 at 9:20 am
  4. Thank you, Mary and Dylan, for this insight into the prior construction and additions into this Blog Cabin project! You have BOTH been blessing the DIY Bloggies with great information this year and I think that I can say this for most all of us– we are really excited about the project and ready to jump in with our perspectives and encouragement too! :D
    Needed: 1) Indoor/pantry/kitchen storage
    2)Indoor/ linens/towels/blanket storage
    3)Outside storage (lockable) for porch & exterior furnishings, grill, loose games, fishing stuff, etc.
    4)Screened Porch with overhead fans in South–mandatory for heat/humidity of area
    5)PLEASE Rethink upstairs and carve a 3rd bedroom off of family room!
    6)Outdoor Shower like one at BC 2011 in Matthews, VA, very excellent and useful
    7) THANKS! :) <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 4, 2013 at 10:29 pm
    • Verry well sead. and don't for get the color this year. Lets try some warm colors this year. No bright or pastels that are always over don!!!

asandmancan on January 5, 2013 at 12:51 pm
    • Outdoor shower! I forgot this essential for beach area living! Thanks for ALL of your great reminders!

Rainbowlady44 on January 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm
    • As always Kitty, you have brought your insight and well thought out perspective on what this BC Needs.

Have you checked out the Ketogenic diet? (Spelling???)

Eugenia27 on January 5, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    • Hi Eugenia! Thanks, and I'm glad you like the list. I'm always trying to look at practicality as well as resale value….

I have been looking into Ketogenic diet and have already been sliding my habit in that direction, knowing that, with my extremely slow digestion and diabetes issues I have to ensure that I have sufficient balance so as not to become hypoglycemic. BUT HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEWS ABOUT MY CANCER??? (THE reason for the Ketogenic Diet???) I posted yesterday, under Nebraska (she had about 13 comments beneath her name) sharing my most wonderful news of total healing of cancer!!! It is under the "People's Choice 2013 Thread." Take a look! :D xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 5, 2013 at 10:14 pm
    • i think there needs to be a bathroom on second floor and dining room on first floor very awkward not near kitchen

kathy on January 6, 2013 at 10:09 am
    • I agree with Kity !

Angelways on January 6, 2013 at 11:03 am
    • Hi Kathy! Actually there is a bathroom on the 2nd floor and a dining area next to the kitchen on the 1st floor… :) I'd be with you if they'd forgotten those necessities! Thanks for posting.<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 6, 2013 at 2:56 pm
  5. These pictures are the kind that make you wish walls could talk. Awakened after a long slumber in hiding, to once again see the light of day. Peeling off the layers and hoping for the good kind of surprises. The old musty smells. This is the part I wish I was there for.

AdieMc on January 4, 2013 at 11:32 pm
  6. Looking at the original wood construction I could not help wondering whose hands built this cabin to begin with. Digging in census records turned up Uriah Robinson despite the various contortions of his name.He was born May 1830 and married Mary Daniels in Cartaret County in 1857. Finding Mary with her family in the 1850 census showed her father was a carpenter! Do you suppose he helped Uriah build a new home for the newly weds? Was it his hands that guided the first rafters into place, teaching his new son-in-law the needed skills in that time to keep a roof over the family's heads?

grammagail on January 4, 2013 at 11:33 pm
    • Ooooo…history and genealogy all entwined! How fun! :D ;) :p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 5, 2013 at 12:07 am
    • Kitty, there is no known history without genealogy because without humans to record it it would not be known! LOL! I hated history in school because they taught as a bunch of dates with facts attached. Then I learned the family connection to those time periods and my love for history through genealogy was born. The dates became important so I could know what the family was doing. Now history and genealogy are one in my brain. Have been for over 50 years! :)

grammagail on January 6, 2013 at 12:44 pm
    • But of course, Gail! Just nice to see some of it posted….;):pB) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 6, 2013 at 2:38 pm
    • Good research Gail! So interesting to know as much as possible about the history of this old cabin. It is wonderful that DIY is securing this beautiful waterfront home and that it's family history has really only just begun! Who will win this prize? Oh I hope this year the winner will be someone who will cherish the home and be able to live there-even better if this year the winner was also a BC blogger!

SID on January 5, 2013 at 1:57 pm
    • Wonderful research and possible story line; I’d like to believe that it happened the way you saw it.

Eugenia27 on January 5, 2013 at 4:50 pm
  7. That doorknob in frame #2 is gorgeous!

grammagail on January 4, 2013 at 11:36 pm
  8. I can't wait to start voting for 2013 Blog Cabin!!
    A lot of work has to be done, before this old house becomes a home.
    One of the greatest joy's of it all, is seeing the beginning from the ending.
    By watching this transformation take place right before our eyes.
    I'm proud that diy gives us all, a great feeling of accomplishment when the job is done.
    Knowing that one lucky person, will not only have the privilege to own this home, but see, touch and feel
    and behold all this transformation for him or her self.
    What a great feeling, like a double – blessing all in one beautiful package!

Lin on January 5, 2013 at 12:27 am
    • Did you know you can vote now? Go to peoples choice on the tab above.

vicki_in_Utah on January 5, 2013 at 9:38 am
  9. **sniff, sniff**
    Did anyone notice after voting this morning Jason Cameron isn't in the BC lineup this year?
    I have to say Jason served the past blog cabins well…six wonderful years, installing a screened porch in 2007 installing a man cave in years '08 and '09 before moving on to the front yard renovations in 2010-2012.
    ((((((((( round of applause ))))))))) Jason Cameron, every year was a job well done!!!

Now we will see the work of Sara Bendrick representing I Hate My Yard. There is more Girl Power with each passing year of Blog Cabin.
    Bring it Sara……I will be watching.

Mel on January 5, 2013 at 10:38 am
    • Girl Power, Yes I love it!!!!! lol

Rebecca on January 5, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    • Mel, I guess it is all about promoting the new stars on DIY–for more ratings. She may be digging up some pirate evidence there on the lands of the Sound…I say we send her a parrot that can call out, " Pieces of Eight ! Pieces of Eight ! "

LLColeman on January 6, 2013 at 5:59 am
    • LOL Yep you are right LLColeman! Blog cabin is a star series among cable networks, the perfect platform to showcase new Diy talent and home products.
      It's truly a genius idea, and has to be an Extremely effective marketing strategy…….the impact comparison of the before and after is always amazing and I would imagine even more so for the casual viewer.

Mel on January 6, 2013 at 10:20 am
    • I did Mel, I am so sad, no Ahmed or D&D and now no Jason…boo hoo…I have never seen Sara so I am looking forward to what she can do. There may not be much budget left by the time they get to the outside, with all the re building they are having to do.

vicki_in_Utah on January 6, 2013 at 11:57 am
    • Well, one good thing, they don't really have to go out and spend much on furnishings….;)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 6, 2013 at 6:29 pm
  10. Hi Mel, what's with all this changing around of Designers??? I was looking forward to seeing what Our Jason had planned for this big yard. Also wondering if he had taken a trip to Cottage to see how beautiful the location is…
    Ahmed and now Jason..the best of the best. I'm not saying that Sara can't compete, I haven't seen her work but just disappointed Jason will not grace our BC and will no longer be "Our Landscaper"….Let down, but I am anxious to know more about Sara Bendrick!!

Jennie/Florida on January 5, 2013 at 10:59 am
    • I know Jennie, I cried over Dean and Derek being replaced by Yard Crashers and then even more over Ahmed losing his hosting spot on Yard Crashers. I don't like the changes, especially the one they made with Ahmed.

I don't know a thing about Sarah's work either, hopefully she will read the blog and do everything we suggest :) I think your idea of having the designers visit the area is really good.

Mel on January 5, 2013 at 11:36 am
    • Uhhhhhh…wait a minute? I'm getting worried and confused here, Mel, Nebraska, and Jennie? Where are you seeing a change in hosts for the different jobs on Blog Cabin? Have I missed something??? Am I just boogie boarding in Lala Land? :$o.0 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 5, 2013 at 10:30 pm
    • KItty as you are voting for the People's Choice there is a list of Blog cabin guest host to the right of the screen. That's where you will see the change, no Jason Cameron listed, I Hate My Yard listed instead.
      **Remmember that the People's Choice page was added on Jan 3, 2013 so it is the latest update for blog cabin. The list on the main page showing Jason has been there since the Maine BC build, in other words it's old.

Mel on January 6, 2013 at 8:57 am
    • Hi Mel, I found the website on Sara Bendrick. I'm thinking that she has been added to the Designers' list, but I really don't think she will be taking Jasons' place on the BC…I think she will enter the DIY family roster sometime in the Spring…I might be wrong, but I went to the Designers' website and she wasn't listed with the rest of the Designers but Jason was…It's all confusing to me…anyway her website is below, I hope it works!

Jennie/Florida on January 6, 2013 at 9:38 am
    • Thanks for the link Jennie. It looks like Sarah has a modern style with landscape design. Geometric design, and a nice mix of hardscape material in the video clip.

Guess we will have to wait and see. I remember last year the guest host list wasn't updated until late. I'll be watching either way!

Mel on January 6, 2013 at 9:47 am