Jan 4

More Interior Construction Details

Blog Cabin 2013 Interior Remodeling Details

Project manager Dylan Eastman shares new details about the home’s interior and discoveries made during the demolition and home lifting:

1. Most of the first floor framing consists of 2 to 3″ wide by 4 to 5″ tall joists that span 12 to 14 feet — not up to modern standards. Further, some additions where somewhat poorly ledgered onto others. To split spans down to no more than 6 feet, the new foundation includes mid-span piers for (4) 2×8 dropped girders.
2. A layer of 4×8 sheet paneling concealed amazing 7/8″ T&G paneling. The original paint is flaking off the original paneling to reveal a wonderful patina and wood grain; the unpainted area marks the location of original chair rail trim, installed in line with the window sills.
3. A traditional framing technique, studs were installed at the edges of doors and windows. Horizontal infill nailers were then installed to attach the exterior sheathing and interior paneling to the studs.
4. Most of the termite damage occurred around leaky windows and doors.
5. Pieces of trim were dismantled over the years to repair storm-damaged walls. Trim was labeled and then reinstalled.
6. To gain ceiling height and bring the house up to current 130 mph wind loads, the roof will be rebuilt 2’6” higher. Wood from the original roof will be salvaged.

• Posted at 4:35 pm on January 1, 2013

1. Thank you so much for the update-the tongue and groove planking in photo#2 is beautiful. I hope you will be able to reuse it all in the rebuild! I absolutely love the new floor plans. Great layout! The symmetry you have planned for the house exterior ( wrap around porch, water view, and the little private porch off the MB) are all wonderful. Your plans retain all the character and personality of this wonderful old cabin, they exceed my expectations in every way. This is going to be an outstanding rebuild, thank you so very much!

SID on January 4, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    • SID, I couldn't have said it better. Coming for a long line of construction and electical family, I can appreciate whatever can be salvaged from the old structure. The interior of the structure reminds me of the 1907 farm home I remodeled about 5 years ago………..a real challenge, but so much character when finished.

Woodworker from MN on January 4, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    • SID I am CraZee for symmetry too –LOL

I think as bloggers it is our duty to throw out some ideas for using the wood the construction crew is salvaging.
      How about some custom built book cases, that represent the area? Perhaps built in the shape of a famous outer banks lighthouses, a sea creature like a whale or a starfish, a boat, or even built in the shape of Blackbeard the pirate? Joey from Mega Dens can build anything! ….. and there is going to be plenty of wood to repurpose.

Mel on January 5, 2013 at 10:50 am
    • Mel, I always like how you think! Your novelty idea would be great for an accent piece. I just hope they don't get too cute with some of the more permanent features that are too hard to change out if someone has less eclectic taste. HGTV just did a set of swinging beds in this years Dream Home so they probably wouldn't want to repeat that, but I would love a porch swing with a fantasy theme, maybe a boat or whale? Someone on the DIY blog last season posted a link to a really clever back deck. It may even have been one of your posts? There was a wet bar built to look like a row boat, and the deck railings were loops of nautical rope. B):D

SID on January 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm
    • SID the feeling is mutual, I like the way you think too! I'd give a big yes to a porch swing that is nautical themed! There is so much potential with the wood they are harvesting to build coastal themed one-of-a-kind items, and Diy certainly has the talented craftsmen on their payroll to do it.

You have a good memory too, I posted that link a really long time ago, in the Maine BC announcement thread. I think pilings and rope would be a cool way to outline a walkway, or a flower bed…. and I LOVED the use of pilings, nautical rope, and boat in this backyard design of Dean & Derek. Here's that link again

Mel on January 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm
    • Mel I saw in some of the pictures around the house some little light house things. That is my favorite! I love light houses. I hope they do keep some, especially since the home is on the beach. Infact my kitchen now is done in light houses and a beach type theme. lol Infact I hope they keep a lot of the old antique country type furniture that is there now. I love it. <3

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 9:48 am
    • Lets make that swing big enough to take a nap in.

zulumom on January 6, 2013 at 10:39 am
  2. Dylan, Seems like a bigger project than you thought. The old wood although undersized was/is stronger then the wood nowadays. I am sure that anything you do will only strengthen and enhance this coastal retreat. What a great opportunity for the DIY Team and the bloggers to work together to make this former home called "Dobbies" and the "Robinson" home to get a new life for future generations to enjoy. I am so excited to see the progress….board by board.:)<3

bythebaydreamer on January 4, 2013 at 5:08 pm
    • I am very excited as well!

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 9:50 am
  3. These details – uncovered by the demolition and home lifing – are incredibly interesting.
    I agree with the previous commenters:
    This is going to be an outstanding reconstruction and update;
    and,
    It is going to be an exciting process to watch this progress.
    Thank you for this terrific update from Mr. Eastman, Mary.

Lester B. on January 4, 2013 at 5:44 pm
  4. I love to see an old home become new again.

Valerie on January 4, 2013 at 5:51 pm
    • ditto! I love old homes with history. I am a firm believer in rebuilding instead of tearing down.

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 9:52 am
  5. Thank you Mr. Eastman for the updates..Love the wrap around Porch and hope some of it will be screened, if not all of it..I'm glad to hear you were able to salvage some of the Cottage to use in the rebuild. I like the plans for the Beach Cottage and look forward to this big undertaking you have excepted..I know you and your crew will make us proud to be a part of this Great Journey…We Bloggers have suggestions and ideas we could share with you! Just let us know if you want to hear them.. I look forward to being a part of this Beach Cottage Renovation…….Love the Beautiful Location!!

Jennie/Florida on January 4, 2013 at 6:31 pm
  6. I love the photos. Thanks so much for sharing them. I look forward to seeing how much of the old cottage can be reused to make it new again. I think its those details that I love the most! It keeps the history of the cabin alive.

Mindy_Lou on January 4, 2013 at 6:32 pm
  7. These updates, Dylan, are wonderful! The insight into old construction methods is a lesson in itself. The old wood was stronger and has proven its worth by the length of time it stood against all mother nature had to throw at it. We have come a long way but sometimes i wonder if we haven't lost as much as we have gained.
    Your displays are priceless! Thank you again!

grammagail on January 4, 2013 at 6:33 pm
  8. Thank you, Dylan, for the update on our Cabin!! Nice pics, I'm really glad you're able to salvage so much of the old wood in this house!

MGYinSC on January 4, 2013 at 6:52 pm
  9. I'm glad that Dylan's posts include reuse of or repurposing the materials. I love the original posted images of the battered cottage and I hope it's possible to keep that feel. I'm also glad to hear that the new standards in construction details/ methods are being use to keep this home safer in bad weather. I also enjoyed seeing that white door knob- it reminds me of the housewhere I grew up.

Lia_M on January 4, 2013 at 7:41 pm
  10. Thanks, Mary, for sharing Dylan Eastman's notes concerning the remodel. The photos and ideas are inspiring. I'm so glad that so much is being upcycled back into the new construction.
    The open roominess of the new floor plan is brilliant. I just hope they keep the powder room in this years remodel. A powder room on the first floor is needed for elderly/disabled guests who can't climb a flight of stairs easily.
    I have read several comments already asking for the porch to be screen in, but I suspect that is something that will have to be done by the winner of this lovely cottage. HGTV/DIY seems to have an aversion to screens. While less screens are needed in more northern climes, here in the south they are a necessity. The front wraparound porch of this home would look wonderful screened-in with wood-framed double front screen doors and a single side screen door. The master deck doesn't really need any screening in my opinion, but others may disagree.
    I look forward to watching the things progress in the upcoming months!

Moving2theCoast on January 4, 2013 at 8:28 pm
    • I agree I rented a summer house last year that had a huge screened front porch and we spent all our evenings there at the end of the day when the breeze is gone you could not be outside without it.I would screen the whole front part wrapping it around all the way to the foyer, this would also provide a lot of sleeping spots. The underside of the deck also need screening.

zulumom on January 6, 2013 at 7:38 am