Jan 3

Vote Now: People’s Choice Round One

People's Choice Vote

Today marks the beginning of the People’s Choice portion of our Blog Cabin 2013 coverage. We invite you to help us select the paint color palette, siding style and roofing material. Vote up to 10 times per day for building materials and encourage others to participate too!

Once you vote, take time to examine our “after” floor plan slideshow, which features renderings of the renovated home, elevations and first and second floor floor plans. We’re making major changes, while maintaining the Southern charm of this historic home. Enjoy and please post your thoughts below.

• Posted at 10:15 am on January 1, 2013

1. Just a question for people who live in this area. What type of septic system is required in the area? Do they use the normal drainfield, or is the mound system required? Is this soil real sandy?

Woodworker from MN on January 5, 2013 at 1:46 pm
  2. I love the look of the out doors and incorporating the colors from the trees and plants and animals into the interior as well as the roofing and siding, helps a cabin to offer a blend in feeling like it belongs in it's setting. Grays, Greens, browns with pops of the yellows and oranges found in the environment would be eye candy to me. I also like the real stone fireplace and added bedroom idea. Possibly even working up into the surrounding trees for an added space getting away. Using the out door spaces as retreats and, relaxing hugs, weather permitting, is also a fantastic idea. Using sky tubes and sky lights offers some energy efficiency ideas worth entertaining.

Sandra on January 5, 2013 at 1:51 pm
  3. Voted already. I love seeing how the votes calculate at the bottom. Thanks DIY for letting us participate from begining to end! I can't tell you how excited I am just being involved in the process!

Rebecca on January 5, 2013 at 4:21 pm
  4. Flawless designs and talent in creating such a beautiful home.PS: Wish this home was mine.

Linda Alexander on January 5, 2013 at 4:32 pm
  5. I love the location but who designed this house. We have spent many years in this part of North Carolina. We are a Marine Corps family. Do the designers know how hot and humid it can be there? Why a dark colored roof??? It will just absorb the heat. The shingle sided exterior walls do not hold up in NC weather. Just ask any resident there on OBX and how many times they have to replace them. Please consider changing the roofing material,
    The veranda is nice but it should go further around the house -more and bigger windows. What about solar and wind power; is this something that is being considered.

Carole on January 5, 2013 at 9:10 pm
  6. Thank you and God Bless you and your entire Family for serving our Country–for the sacrifice goes far beyond the Military-bound Service Person–the spouse and Children also, make sacrifices!!! Having lived in the South for most of my adult years, I know of which you speak on the roof colors, the heat and humidity. I live in Virginia now on the Coast, and there's nothing more uncomfortable than those muggy Summer days, so what you say is accurate. Unfortunately some aren't accustomed to nor familiar, so such comments will sound alien to them… On the shingle siding, I'm hoping that they will be using Hardie plank material such as was used on last year's BC in Maine. That was very strong and virtually maintenance free, being made with a concrete base. Certainly many of us old time Bloggies like and appreciate using whatever "green/energy-conserving" options and we regularly recommend these to DIY. :) Thanks for your input Carole!B)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 5, 2013 at 10:07 pm
  7. Appreciate the info regarding the Murphy bed, but extra bedroom is needed if think. ^_^

tltmags on January 6, 2013 at 12:10 am
  8. I just saw the renderings of the new blog cabin, I love that there is a bedroom downstairs, This makes a long range home for years to come. It would be nice to see a partial screen room on this for the summer months. Cant wait to vote on the next phase.

Barbara on January 6, 2013 at 1:26 am
  9. Round one is so cool! I can't wait for round 2 to begin to see what the choices are. I am sure you have some amazing things in store for this beautiful home. I still can't keep from looking through all the pictures and the cam every day. All I can say is the entire process is amazing and thank you guys for letting us be a part of it.

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 8:25 am
  10. please consider the overall look when voting for siding and roofing. Gray siding with a brown roof is as bad as a antique cape house painted green.

caren on January 6, 2013 at 8:36 am
    • Voters aren't choosing the roof color, just the shingle style. The builders will select the color to compliment the siding color that voters will choose. :)

AnniesOwn on January 6, 2013 at 10:42 am