Jan 3

Vote Now: People’s Choice Round One

People's Choice Vote

Today marks the beginning of the People’s Choice portion of our Blog Cabin 2013 coverage. We invite you to help us select the paint color palette, siding style and roofing material. Vote up to 10 times per day for building materials and encourage others to participate too!

Once you vote, take time to examine our “after” floor plan slideshow, which features renderings of the renovated home, elevations and first and second floor floor plans. We’re making major changes, while maintaining the Southern charm of this historic home. Enjoy and please post your thoughts below.

• Posted at 10:15 am on January 1, 2013

1. I would rather see 3 bedrooms, than a media room….still have time to make a change. What about a 3-season porch, that way you can enjoy the outdoors when the weather is a little nasty and when the bugs are out

April/Michigan on January 4, 2013 at 10:00 pm
    • The media room has a murphy bed in it. A murphy bed can be hidden away for more space but can be pulled out when needed. Therefore it is actually a bedroom/media/family room. I hope this makes sense to you.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 11:47 pm
  2. I am a little disappointed that the rendering only shows two bedrooms. Who needs a media room when you have the great outdoors. Could we please have a three or four bedroom house. Two bedrooms is really impratical for any house. If you have kids and guest where would everyone sleep? Please reconsider.

melissa on January 4, 2013 at 11:34 pm
  3. OK just so everyone knows the media room is a bedroom as well. This is what is written below the picture "The south portion of the second floor, which formerly housed two bedrooms, a hallway and the stairs, will be opened up to accommodate a media/family room with its own Murphy bed." A murphy bed is a bed but can be hidden away for more useful space when you don't necessarily need it out. Hopefully this will put to rest all of the comments about not wanting the media room but instead would like to have a bedroom. I hope this makes sense to everyone.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 11:45 pm
    • We all know there will be a Murphy bed in the media room . It just is not as private for guests or children that would be sent to bed earlier while people might be watching TV. I think the media room with Murphy bed could be resized to include a 3rd smaller bedroom. on the left of the french doors.

zulumom on January 5, 2013 at 7:05 am
    • Agree zulumom. A Murphy bed is a bonus for occasional extra sleeping. Not for frequent or long term guests, when they might need privacy. I've taken vacations with extended family. TRUST me…you want privacy. Who wants to wait to go to bed until the night owls finally go to bed???!!!!!!

quint103 on January 5, 2013 at 12:39 pm
    • Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I love it just the way it is and I love the media/family room/bedroom. Well designed DIY Design Team! I guess the difference is I don't have a large family and I would have all the privacy I needed without closing the room off. Best of luck guys.

Rebecca on January 5, 2013 at 3:43 pm
    • Right, Rebecca, we do have to agree to disagree. The Murphee bed is a great idea and it should stay, but Zulumom, Quint, myself and many others see points which include privacy, convenience and family size, re-saleability, and just lifestyle utility as aspects which apply to our own preferences for a third BR, smaller or no media room, etc. That doesn't minimize nor maximize anyone's position. Somebody Zeroed out my statement above, just because I agreed with 2 people and compared this year's decision with a mistake which most of us Bloggies regretted last year. I simply expressed a personal thought. Most of us on this blog don't go around berating and thumbs downing bloggers unless they are blatantly rude, cruel-spirited or stalking somebody—which has happened on this blog. What you said, "to agree to disagree' is the proper and cultured way to handle any differences and My hat's off to you! :) ^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 6, 2013 at 3:57 pm
    • Agreed! There's nothing worse than trying to sleep when everyone else wants to stay up and watch TV in the same room!

Alicia9981 on January 6, 2013 at 11:16 pm
    • Just get rid of the Media Room tag and move the TV to the Living Room. This makes a great bedroom. Who needs a Media Room in a house like this in this location?

Sally on January 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm
    • I agree media room is what they have called it but remove the furniture and install a door in the hallway and you could have a nice double room perfect for the kids sleeping and playroom. I see a couple of trundles built under the south windows and a few antique dressers or armoire and all mu grandchildren would have great fun. I would leave a small TV for them to play video games and watch cartoons (maybe their parents could sleep a little longer) Ohhh I am dreaming of family memories at grandmas beach house

zulumom on January 7, 2013 at 6:31 am
  4. I bet this is so beautiful at night watching the moon light shine off of the water. These pictures seem like something out of a magazine. What a beautiful place to retire at.

Rebecca on January 5, 2013 at 12:17 am
  5. I love this house and the location. I'm so excited to be in on the voting process and to see what the different choices are. Love the design. This is fantastic!!

Armeshia on January 5, 2013 at 3:56 am
  6. There might be a way to configure the kitchen so it enjoys the beautiful views from the sink. Eliminating part the cabinet with fridge wall would allow to extend the peninsula to include sink and dishwasher, open the kitchen to the stairs making it feel much larger and allow for more stools on the dining room side of the peninsula. Move the fridge with a pantry to the right in the stove plan location. Move the stove to where the dishwasher was located. You don't really lose anything since the peninsula would be long enough and gain better flow and sightlines.

zulumom on January 5, 2013 at 7:37 am
    • Zulumom I really like your kitchen revision! When I read your post, and compared it to the floor plan it looked like it would work. It would be awesome for the cook(s) to enjoy the view as they work.
      I love the symmetry of the facade, perfect placement of doors and windows, and your revision wouldn't impact that, which is a good thing! Diy could possibly build some additional storage cabinetry on the wall by where the dining table will sit. They will certainly have the wood to do many carpentry projects with.

Mel on January 5, 2013 at 8:53 am
    • One reason for the kitchen being where it's located could be for safety in a storm. With no extenal walls or windows it's the only room offering a refuge in the house in the event of catastrophic winds.

The cook still has a fantastic view out through the dining area, the living area and even to the stairs as it's all open plan.

Sally on January 5, 2013 at 11:37 am
    • I can also envision that they will have a front door closet by the foyer entrance under the stairs and in the hall going to the master again under the stairs.

zulumom on January 6, 2013 at 7:10 am
  7. New to blogging, but packing my bags while on this site!! Nice. Wrap around porch = awesome

clbertini on January 5, 2013 at 10:21 am
  8. So happy to start voting! I liked everything, so no matter what wins, I'll be happy, although I do have my preferences. Love those woodland style shingles.

nmdeman on January 5, 2013 at 1:18 pm
  9. Just another thought. After viewing the floor plans, I noticed there are no windows in the master bath. I love windows in a bathroom, it makes it seem so much more airy and open. I'm assuming there is no skylight in there so just one window would be very refreshing. But great job on all of this beautiful house!

nmdeman on January 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm
    • There is a window in the Master bath, it's above the bath. Check out the west elevation drawing.

AnniesOwn on January 5, 2013 at 1:41 pm
  10. Did anyone else notice the large pile of posts in front of the Simmons Construction van? Looks like they might be 6×6's for use on the wraparound porch. They do have the stakes set up for the alignment of the porch. If they are to be used for the porch, they look like they are not treated posts. I might be wrong, and they are planning to use them elsewhere. Hope everyone is enjoying the progress as much as I am. Enjoy the weekend. :)

Woodworker from MN on January 5, 2013 at 1:40 pm