Jan 3

Vote Now: People’s Choice Round One

People's Choice Vote

Today marks the beginning of the People’s Choice portion of our Blog Cabin 2013 coverage. We invite you to help us select the paint color palette, siding style and roofing material. Vote up to 10 times per day for building materials and encourage others to participate too!

Once you vote, take time to examine our “after” floor plan slideshow, which features renderings of the renovated home, elevations and first and second floor floor plans. We’re making major changes, while maintaining the Southern charm of this historic home. Enjoy and please post your thoughts below.

• Posted at 10:15 am on January 1, 2013

1. This location would be great for an outdoor shower like D&D did for 2011 BC.

vicki_in_Utah on January 4, 2013 at 3:23 pm
  2. I have never seen the Camelot shingles before now. They look like they might be best to repel the violent coastal weather, if it ever comes again. I just hope the bloggers vote for the shingles and siding choices that best work together in this marvelous environment. Enjoy :)

Woodworker on January 4, 2013 at 3:40 pm
    • The vote is for siding style and color but only style for the shingles. The builder will match the shingle color to the siding that's chosen.

We put Camelot-style shingles on our house a few years back and really like them. They have more textural appearance than regular shingles and certainly withstand our MI winters and summers very well.

AnniesOwn on January 4, 2013 at 4:15 pm
  3. Maybe when they get to the outdoor space, we'll see some kind of small builden to store the water stuff, fishing poles and whatever else one need stoage for. Along with an outside shower. Maybe there will be something near the pier for that too.
    I am sure they will come up with something fun to vote on.

home_girl on January 4, 2013 at 3:42 pm
  4. I just looked at the after plans and cannot believe there are only two bedrooms! I need at least four for my own family let alone guests. Who needs a huge media room? who not make more bedrooms and baths. Put a big TV in Living room. Not to crazy about this remodel I am sorry to say. I guess maybe just a little disappointed. Maybe it isn't too late for you to make some changes? I always loved all the other ones that DIY did.

Ladny on January 4, 2013 at 4:13 pm
    • I think they were trying to keep it some what the same structure with as little addition as possible. I can say I honestly love the design. This home will work perfect for me and I am sure if you had to you could make it work for you as well. I have fell in love with the house and the beautiful property that it sits on. It is like your own little paradise. I would definately retire and live in this home if I won it. I have seen many of the other homes and actually this one is my favorite. I am one of those people that don't need a lot, just enough to live comfortable and not have to stress over a huge mortgage.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 7:19 pm
  5. Looking at the plans again I noticed that the nwindows are not all single or double hung style the foyer windows are drawn as casement style. That's rather odd.

Clive on January 4, 2013 at 4:23 pm
    • Hi Clive. I tried to see what you were talking about with the Foyer windows.. Do the Casement style windows open from the sides? If so, would that be a problem or does it just look odd? With all those
      windows on this Cottage, I sure hope they screen all the windows that can be opened for fresh air in
      the Springtime or anytime.. The owner will enjoy all the fragrance of spring flowers and fruit trees..
      Clive, I was thinking, since this location is noted to be in line for Hurricanes, I think screen is necessary on ALL of the porches, especially with all those windows and glass doors. I think screens would slow down debris plus give a little more protection for all that glass…also I think the lattice work should be added back like it was on the Original Porch..That's one of the things that caught my eye when I first saw the Cottage….I liked the lattice and thought it made the porch look Cozy. The lattice would also tone down
      the fine lines of the newly renovated Beach Cottage……Just my Thoughts

Jennie/Florida on January 6, 2013 at 11:29 am
    • Casement windows open from the side. They're drawn with a feint dotted triangle with the long edge where the hinges will be. They're visible on all the foyer windows but no others.

Sadly, screens are the first thing to go in a storm and can, potentially, cause more damage if they become airborne. If they use the same company for windows as in Matthews (every chance they will with Dylan in charge of the build) their windows are rated for hurricane resistance (up to 150mph wind and strikes by flying objects I think). Screens offer no protection and can, in some cases, actually cause flying objects to do more damage by slowing down their lateral movement thus allowing more force to be imparted directly at the point of contact. ;)

Covering the brick with lattice would soften the brick but it would allow plants (vines and other weeds) to grow behind. Then you have a problem of animals nesting, damp crossing the damp course barrier, termites etc. Maybe better to have a small screen or plants just in front of the brick if you wish to hide it?

Clive on January 6, 2013 at 3:28 pm
    • To bad the screens wouldn't serve any protection, I thought I had a good reason for Diy screening
      the porches…bummer! Clive, I was wanting the lattice to go on the bottom part of the screen like they had on the Cottage porch. remember they had it at the bottom of the screen? I didn't mean for it to cover the brick..I would whitewash the brick..Not crazy about the red brick…It looks out of place to me!
      Just my thoughts!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 6, 2013 at 7:58 pm
    • From a lot of personal experience with decks, porches and spectacular views I would have nothing blocking the view, even a 3ft high lattice. It's amazing how much of the view is blocked when someone is sitting in a chair in a house or on a porch. The ubiquitous vertical 4×2 or 2×2 rail (IMHO) is completely horrible and serves no purpose but to obstruct views. o.0 Thin metal rails or plexiglass with metal supports (although not traditional) is infinitely better, opens views and allows so much more light into homes with decks and porches. This is a piece of tradition I feel needs to be left in the past unless the building is being restored and is of significant historical importance. :) OK,, I'm off my soapbox now. ;)

Certainly, whitewash the brick. I never liked the look it gave the Matthews house brick either. However, a new owner can do something like that easily and cheaply so it's not a real concern. I'm much more interested with major structural things that can't be easily or cheaply rectified. Missing out on opening the media room with dormers in the 2012 house was a big mistake. :(

Clive on January 6, 2013 at 9:52 pm
    • Last comment on this….Clive, the lights just came ON…Once the porch is built on, no one will be able to see the RED brick foundation anyway…Yeah.. and Alicia has chimed in and made some good comments!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 7, 2013 at 11:05 am
    • OK, last from me on this also. ;) The porch is only at the rear of the house plus a little on the east and west sides. The brick if fully visible on the front and nost of the east and west sides. I wonder if they could at least paint it the same color as the siding? :)

Clive on January 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm
    • Clive, I am all turned around!! I am calling the front where it faces the water and that is where the porch is, Right??? I thought the porch and cover was from the Foyer to the front and around to the mudroom side…Am I wrong???

Jennie/Florida on January 7, 2013 at 1:19 pm
    • LOL. A lot of people are making this mistake too.

The front of the house faces the road (that's the same everywhere). The rear that we see every day on the cam faces the water. That part and a little of the sides will be covered by the porch but most of the sides, the foyer included, and the front facing the road has no deck or porch. The brick is fully exposed on these sides.

Clive on January 7, 2013 at 1:26 pm
    • The original house had two main doors before DIY bought it. There was one that opened in to the dining room and faced the driveway, not the street. This was the door that had the family crests beside it. The other door (the one we used the most) faced Core Sound and opened up into the living room.

Jennie, we always felt like the sound-side was the front of the house, because that's the entrance we always used, that's where Evelyn built up her herb garden and where the brick walkway was. Though, I guess you could have also called it the side of the house if you wanted to enter through the dining room.

Alicia9981 on January 7, 2013 at 9:28 pm
  6. Iam the special winner I never own a house/car disable/deaf paint the kitchen/yellow with dark/brown cabinet/ pale yellow tile bay window in breakfast room to see the sun light a prince/princess bathroom in the middle of the bedrooms pale green paint lavender/rug/window accessary kitchen at the back with awindow and open space frontroom/dinningroom/library away from kitchen, paint gold/wallpaper part of dinningroom wall,guest bed/bathroom downstairs wallpaper,hardwood/floor downstairs/tilebathrooms, upstairs four bed rooms fourbath rooms living room washroom bathrooms tile and wallpaper bedrooms/hardwood floors out wall/gold

dressler thompson on January 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm
  7. I love watching as we vote seeing which one has the most votes. This is such a wonderful way to do this. Everyone can keep watching and eventually figure out which one is more likely to win, unless it is sooooo close. It makes you really feel as though you are a part of the design if only through colors and material type finishings. It means a lot. I can't wait to come on every morning and look at the cam to see the progress. OK I am not telling the truth…..I look on here constantly all day long to see the progress! lol I can not help myself. Then I go and look at all the blogs and interact with some of the bloggers. I love the entire process. You guys have really given me something to look forward to in the morning and during the day when I am not having such a great day. You are awesome and I thank all of you guys for giving us the opportunity to weigh in with our personal oppinions. DIY Network watcher, blogger for life! Much love! :*

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 5:50 pm
    • I completely agree Rebecca! I am here in the morning with my coffee and in the evening too! LOL! I don't think my computer has been anywhere else today. I am new to blogging, but I think I am hooked!:p

Mindy_Lou on January 4, 2013 at 6:41 pm
  8. Surprise….New Thread!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 4, 2013 at 7:03 pm
  9. I am hooked as well. I actually work but had to take off a couple days because my back went out on me. So basically I have been online all day because there is not much else I can do anyway today. lol I love this website and just the feeling of being involved gives you a good feeling. Not to mention my tv stays on the DIY network as well. They just give you so much information. As a woman I hate to rely on a man and because of this tv program I don't always have to. I can do things myself.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 7:06 pm
  10. I wish there would have been another roof choice, like a metal roof- I worry about the durability of the shingle choices in tropical storm winds.
    I'm happy there is a large porch, I hope they screen part of it or add ceiling fans to help keep the bugs under control on warm summer evenings!
    I'm guessing the size has to be smaller due to the massive rebuild necessary from damage and age. I hope they add a carport or garage too. It would be nice to have your vehicle out of the hot Carolina sun and to have a place to store bikes and canoes. A clothesline might be fun to bring back to dry all those beach towels too!
    This is a perfect size for me as a weekend vacation home, and the media room could always be used as a 3rd guest room. :)

Lia_M on January 4, 2013 at 7:25 pm
    • The shingles are rated to 130 mph. The highest wind speed recorded in hurricanes hitting the outer banks in the last 130 yrs is 115 mph so they should last. They also have a 50 yr warranty.

We have these same shingles on our house in MI where we don't get hurricanes but our cold weather and blizzards are just as brutal on roofs. They do fine. :D

AnniesOwn on January 4, 2013 at 8:27 pm