Jan 3

Vote Now: People’s Choice Round One

People's Choice Vote

Today marks the beginning of the People’s Choice portion of our Blog Cabin 2013 coverage. We invite you to help us select the paint color palette, siding style and roofing material. Vote up to 10 times per day for building materials and encourage others to participate too!

Once you vote, take time to examine our “after” floor plan slideshow, which features renderings of the renovated home, elevations and first and second floor floor plans. We’re making major changes, while maintaining the Southern charm of this historic home. Enjoy and please post your thoughts below.

• Posted at 10:15 am on January 1, 2013

1. It amazes me how you are able to find these diamonds in the rough, and transform them into something that is far better than a brand new home. Home is where the heart is…character and substance are so important and also history!!! With so much new coming up…reclaiming the great history of our country is being done thru what you do with these great old homes! Whoever wins this giant of creation should feel privleged and happy with all that you are able to do with what is remaining of this home. Enchanting. And I love voting…I don't go with the flow alwaysbut stick to what I envision is pristine for this creation. Barbie

Barbara Yates on January 4, 2013 at 8:45 am
  2. I was so excited when I saw the new Blog Cabin floor plans. I can’t believe what you are doing. The first floor is so perfect. I’m a bit disappointed with the upstairs, though. You have sacrificed a third bedroom to install a giant media room. Now who is going to shut themselves upstairs and watch the boob tube all day when you have a gorgeous beach with so many activities to do? A family or extended family would find much more use out of a third bedroom. Just a thought.

Linda Vandom on January 4, 2013 at 8:51 am
    • Well the media room can be used as a bedroom as well but you have to think about the weather. Somedays you are not going to be able to go outside and do all the things you may want to do. I think it is a nice and big enough room for everyone to go and watch some movies or have some drinks or just goof off and catch up with one another. I love everything about this entire design! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! <3

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 7:34 pm
    • As others have also said, the foyer can be a bedroom as well as the media room. There are plenty of bedrooms in this cottage. :)

Sally on January 4, 2013 at 8:22 pm
  3. I was so excited when I saw the new Blog Cabin floor plans. I can’t believe what you are doing. The first floor is so perfect. I’m a bit disappointed with the upstairs, though. You have sacrificed a third bedroom to install a giant media room. Now who is going to shut themselves upstairs and watch the television all day when you have a gorgeous beach with so many activities to do? A family or extended family would find much more use out of a third bedroom. Just a thought.

Linda Vandom on January 4, 2013 at 9:05 am
    • It is shown as a third bedroom. There's a bed drawn into it. Consider it a multi-function room if you wish. The foyer can also be used as a 4th bedroom. No problem with bedrooms in this cottage. :)

Clive on January 4, 2013 at 9:09 am
    • I love it just the way it is. Use it as a media room or a bedroom. I wouldn't change a thing. That is what is so beautiful about this house. The land the home sits on is amazing you can go outside and enjoy it or just sit inside and admire it. It doesn't get any better than this.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 1:07 pm
  4. excellent building to transform into a 21st century getaway with some great ideas staeting in the kitchen and bath room since that would be two areas of the cabin that would be the most used .

Richard on January 4, 2013 at 9:36 am
  5. This plan is wonderful! I love it! The exterior is so balanced with clean symmetry lines. I really like the small balcony on the second floor. I hope they will put a railing, not to block the view but to prevent anyone from falling. The porch should be screened in so as to utilized that space without bugs. I love love the french doors and the amount of sunlight that will filter through all those windows and doors will enhance the interior. I do like the open floor plan, where everyone can engage with one another. Just voted for the Coastal palette, love the Camelot roof giving a cottage look. This is going to be amazing!

Heading South on January 4, 2013 at 9:52 am
    • It is definately amazing. I have fell in love with the design and the entire package! The view is beautiful no matter where you look. I love the design team. They are the best at what they do.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 7:30 pm
  6. For me the 'foyer" would become a bedroom. And the media room would say goodbye.

Nebraska on January 4, 2013 at 10:41 am
    • Agreed 100%. :) I'm sure that's the builders intent too. Absolutely no real need for a 'media room'. There's already a bed drawn into it. I believe it's labeled media room because DIY has a 'Mega Dens' project planned as part of the show but it's completely unnecessary here.

Foyer has only one use and that's with a bed/couch doubling as an extra bedroom. Maybe a small library too. Plenty of light and great views too.

Clive on January 4, 2013 at 11:13 am
    • Great idea for the Foyer, Clive…A small library/sitting room plus nice sofa/bed and all would have lovely views…I was hoping for a eat in kitchen and eliminate formal dining and have a larger kitchen with windows. For extra company, a nice long table on the porch would work especially if it were screened in.
      I have commented before that the Mega Den could be replaced for a "Mega Porch" and She wouldn't loose her Mega Dens' project.. The porch would be used more than the M/D…Just my thoughts

Jennie/Florida on January 4, 2013 at 11:40 am
    • 'Mega Porch' is definitely a better option here with the size of this porch and it's views. It's bigger than the media room too and could have day beds, hammocks, outdoor dining, outdoor TV and muisic center to name just a few items. :) Fans in the ceiling a must too. ;)

The kitchen, dining, living rooms and stairs are all open plan so there's really no formal dining room. These are just names the builders have given for easy identification of the spaces. It all flows together so a dining table could be placed anywhere it was wanted. From personal experience of our house having the dining table right next to the windows facing the sun, as is the situation shown here, is not so great. Evening and morning sun shines directly into the eyes of half of the diners. Moving it back a little towards the kitchen may be a good idea anyway. B)

Clive on January 4, 2013 at 12:35 pm
    • If the porch is going to be used to sleep in the summer, they must be part of it screened in, as must love to bite at night. I think it would be great just off the foyer. Has anyone figured out how big the foyer is?

vicki_in_Utah on January 4, 2013 at 3:21 pm
    • Foyer is about 8 x 11 ft. (maybe)

I very much doubt there will be a screened-in porch area. That will probably be left to the discretion of the winner/owner in the future. Using it to sleep will, again, be a winners choice.

Clive on January 4, 2013 at 3:49 pm
    • I like the direction that you and Clive are thinking, Jennie. I would want the foyer to be a library/study with a sofa/daybed (extra sleeping). Why not make an awesome media room/mega den in the living room? Upstairs, a smaller area could be sort of like the game area at BC 2011 in Matthews, VA, and allow for a third needed bedroom. Cutting to 2 bedrooms here is like taking out the 1st floor powder room last year from the Maine BC, IMO. Big mistake…. B):D<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 4, 2013 at 10:41 pm
    • ♥ IMPORTANT NOTE OFF SUBJECT~ IT'S A MIRACLE!!! Many of my DIY Bloggie Friends have been concerned and praying for my rapidly decreasing health and I have just today seen my neuroendocrinologist, Dr.Aaron Vinik, with my dear Hubby, Gary. We went there to discuss my impending cancer surgery, staging and prognosis from the testing. There is NO HUMAN WAY TO EXPLAIN IT! It is gone! There are no tumors. No Gastrinoma, No Carcinoid, No Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia – Type I (MEN-I), My serum and blood re-tests are all clean, my Octreotide scans (4 days' worth) are clear–it is ALL GONE!!! My Doc was just grinning and shaking his head. Last time I saw him he was trying to prepare me for the worst. Hubby and I actually were preparing for whatever… There was a very slim percentage that I could survive the surgery alone, or, if so, could live longer than 1-5 years, at most. Today~I am cancer free! ONLY GOD CAN AND HAS DONE THIS! PRAISE HIS MIGHTY AND MERCIFUL NAME!!! I just HAD to share with everybody and THANK the SCORES OF YOU WHO HAVE PRAYED FOR ME!!! God Bless You All!!! ♥ Kitty :D xD^_^<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 5, 2013 at 12:41 am
    • The best news on this blog !! We can have you here to help on the BC journey again this year; no worries–just miracles !! <3 <3<3

LLColeman on January 5, 2013 at 3:55 am
    • Wonderful news Kitty, Thank the wonderful God in Heaven for answering all our prayers and for
      cleansing you of Cancer…I am sooooo happy for you and Gary and greatful that we will have you around for a long time…….Lots of Hugs for you!!!!! Great news…

Jennie/Florida on January 5, 2013 at 10:02 am
    • THAT IS SUCH WONDERFUL NEWS.

Nebraska on January 5, 2013 at 12:16 pm
    • Thank God!!!! Prayers do work!! God answers in 3 way, Yes, No and Wait. We may pray for what we want but he will answer what is best for us and his glory.
      Kitty, God cured you so that those who have come to care for you, here on this blog, but may not know God, have now seen that He is real, and He answers prayers and some times the answer is something that we mere mortals understand.
      Praise God! I am so happy for you and your husband .:)<3:D<3

Eugenia27 on January 6, 2013 at 12:11 am
    • I stand AMAZED at God's tender mercies upon me! I somehow was walking in total peace all along from the beginning testing through extensive metastasized cancer diagnosis, which took months! But I knew He was in control, for this was way too big for me… May ALL the focus and gratitude be upon the ONE who extended His Power and, for some reason, chose to heal me! I am beyond speechless, Eugenia! Thank you so much for your prayers and emotional support–and that of all you Bloggies out there reading this! Oh, that I can be such a friend and encourager, if or when one of you out there needs it…. Blessings From Him Who is Able to do abundantly more than we can possibly ask or think!!! ^_^<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 6, 2013 at 12:35 am
    • Congratulations!! What great news to hear!!!

Alicia9981 on January 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm
    • Since I like peace and quiet I would keep it just as it is but if you do have company you have plenty of room to make it work. I am not much for company though, I could actually be a hermit. :) I throw a couple parties in the summer with the family and that's about it. I have certain physical limitations so honestly I wouldn't be much of a host anyway. :) This layout totally works for me.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 1:17 pm
    • Rebeccca, I tend to agree. I think lots of the bloggers forget that this is not a very large home, and there is not room for everything, to accomodate everyone's wishes, or desires. To me, the plan looks great………we can all just watch, enjoy, and vote for the choices selected. Have a great weekend.

Woodworker from MN on January 4, 2013 at 3:30 pm
    • You to Woodworker! I am just happy to be voting and watching as it happens. Just looking at the pictures, this looks like your own little PRIVATE paradise! I could stay there forever and just enjoy the beautiful scenery and cozy home.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 9:20 pm
  7. Everyone is commenting on the lack of a third bedroom and not wanting/needing a big media room…..ah, folks the media room can be a bedroom, a "room" can be whatever you need it to be.

smokesmom on January 4, 2013 at 11:41 am
    • I agree but you know what, it is perfect for me just the way it is. I don't need a lot. Just enough to live a comfortable life and not have to struggle is all that I would ever want. Who ever gets this home should feel extremely lucky to have it. It is like your own little paradise.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 7:24 pm
  8. I was just looking at the Cam and trying to picture the New Cottage sitting there under those nice trees. I don't think the new Cottage with its' additions will fit on that foundation without trimming back or cut down those nice Pines to the right. That would be sad, But they do, what they must do to make it work..I love all the trees on the property and I have noticed someone has been cleaning out shrubs under those nice trees to the left of the Cottage where the rope swings are located..It use to be real bushy there…I hope they don't clear out all the greenery because that what makes the landscape so beautiful and natural…JMT

Jennie/Florida on January 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm
    • By my rough guestimates the porch and foyer will be about 8ft wide (out from the foundation walls). The trees are consideraly further away than 8 ft so they should be able to preserve all the remaining trees. Alicia said they took out a number of trees earlier because they were damaged and to open up the drive but I believe those remaining will be OK. Trees will partly shade the cottage so help with summer cooling.

Did I hear anyone say tree house, hammock or swing? ;)

Clive on January 4, 2013 at 1:03 pm
    • Clive all of those would be good.. Tree house, Hammock & swing. LOL I love all those trees, i sure hope they don't get rid of them.

vicki_in_Utah on January 4, 2013 at 3:16 pm
    • I am sure when they do the landscaping it will be very beautiful and they will put back more than they took out. I can't wait to see an herb garden. I love watching it take place right before your eyes.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 1:21 pm
  9. Looking good this morning…already down to the bare bones! Yes sir, she is almost ready to start rebuilding!! woooo hooooo. Can't stop looking at the cam. Love love love it!!!!

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 1:01 pm
  10. Thanks Mary! Love the location, the design and the options we can vote on! Love the opportunity to participate in the final project! But only two bedrooms? I hope some sleeper sofas are planned! Love the kitchen and hope the media room is going to have a sleeper sofa in it as well as the great/living room please?

minitoni on January 4, 2013 at 1:04 pm