Jan 3

Vote Now: People’s Choice Round One

People's Choice Vote

Today marks the beginning of the People’s Choice portion of our Blog Cabin 2013 coverage. We invite you to help us select the paint color palette, siding style and roofing material. Vote up to 10 times per day for building materials and encourage others to participate too!

Once you vote, take time to examine our “after” floor plan slideshow, which features renderings of the renovated home, elevations and first and second floor floor plans. We’re making major changes, while maintaining the Southern charm of this historic home. Enjoy and please post your thoughts below.

• Posted at 10:15 am on January 1, 2013

1. any possibility there could be an additional bedroom and bath upstairs? Maybe in place of the (media room)? what about putting the "media room" in the downstairs living area, so that when your in the kitchen cooking, you are included with the happenings of the house….gets kind of quiet if everyone leaves and goes upstairs….sorry for being so picky, but just thought I voice my opinion.

sandy on January 4, 2013 at 1:16 am
  2. Thank you for a great remodel of the old beach cottage. It will become a wonderful space for the winner to enjoy with family and friends. Bravo Zulu. and Thank you.

YankeeNuke on January 4, 2013 at 1:46 am
  3. Mary,Dylan, and DIY Team, Happy New Year! Thank you for bringing us the new plans and votes on siding, roofing and colors. I love the first floor Master bedroom & bath. I wish there were a chimney and wood burning fireplace to chase out the cool, damp nights, and screens on at least part of the porch. Nice use of natural lighting with the large windows! :) <3

bythebaydreamer on January 4, 2013 at 2:29 am
  4. This is my very first post on any blog, and I am so glad that I picked here to make it! I love everything about this design, location, and the ability to vote and offer suggestions. This is going to be so much fun! I could see my hubby and I sitting on the porch sipping sweet tea, laughing as our children play in the sand. Ahh! Its so nice to dream! Whoever the winner is, they will have a gem on the water!

Mindy_Lou on January 4, 2013 at 2:32 am
  5. If you look at the before plans you see they added the bed room up stairs to the home. There wasn't one where the bedroom is now (which is over the master bedroom down stair). That was an great idea but they took off the 2 other bedrooms that was all ready there or did they?
    So we lost 2 bedrooms up stairs, but gain an media room (which does have a build in bed), bathroom, linen closet, and a storage closet in the nice large hallway up there with the new safe stairs, plus the cupola for extra light & venting we hope. Maybe there will be some build-in bookcase in that big hallway for all the books they had up there.
    They could put in some bunk beds that can double for seating by day, bed by night, kids would loves to sit on the top bunk (which could be build-in too). Then that would give you seating & extra beds for the 3rd bedroom up there. Bunks on one side, double bed on the other side, like 2 bedroom in one.
    Game room for those cold rainy or winter days. Nice place to read some of those books that was in the cottage, place to paint away just think of the view from there! Media room is one of those room with many faces, you can decide what you want it to be and for when you need it.

home_girl on January 4, 2013 at 2:58 am
  6. If they don't want to make the kitchen into another bedroom/study down stairs, then they could always make it into the dining room, turn the front room into a gathing/living/foyer room and make the kitchen where the foyer is now. (I know, I said this before) Then just add what 4'-8' to that, that not to big of a change to the floor plan, an easy fix. So the kitchen would be light and airy like before, with windows for plenty of light. Can have a door leading to the porch for BBQ.
    I just have a hard time with a kitchen without windows, I know it's open to the dining room and you have windows in there to give you light, but it just not the same. The old kitchen might of been small but with the light and openess it made it look big, with the table out there made for a cozy breakfast nook too. Just saying how nice it would be having breakfast looking out the window at the water front on a cold winter day, snug and warm enjoying that hot cup of coffee too.
    The rest of the cottage could stay the way it is I wouldn't care, I like it! I guess I am the only one here that would like to see the kitchen moved to outside wall, sorry folks I just think it would be nice with window like before, that's all. I'll leave it alone now, don't think they would change it anyway, but who know they changed things before.

home_girl on January 4, 2013 at 3:17 am
    • Homegirl, you aren't the only one that likes a kitchen with a window, so do I ! The winner will be washing dishes in this kitchen looking at a wall. The kitchen doesn't appear to have much counter space either for the preparing of meals. The winner will need plenty of counter space to prepare fresh seafood meals for the crowd of family and friends that will want to come and visit the Crystal Coast. I do like the triangle design used, but get two people in there working, opening the appliance doors, and the kitchen might start to feel claustrophobic. Repositioning the kitchen somehow, exposing the cook to the beautiful view, and making it a bit larger would be nice.

I am not use to seeing a foyer in a cabin, or a foyer that isn't attached to the Front door entrance. I like Clive's idea of using the foyer for a small bedroom. I do LOVE the symmetry of this homes facade. The symmetry it has with the placement of doors and windows, along with the nice covered porch gives it HEAPS of southern charm!

Mel on January 4, 2013 at 6:34 am
    • I agree; I loved the kitchen on the outside wall.

quint103 on January 5, 2013 at 12:35 pm
  7. I love this new design layout! The Design Team did a wonderful job. I have never seen such a beautiful home. I am so happy to see that the laundry room is on the first floor. I am disabled as probably many others are so going up and down steps to do laundry is a task in itself. I could not think of anything that I would have done differently. I love the country style wrap around porch. That is what I have always loved about the country style homes. The balcony is also amazing. I could really see myself sitting there, sipping on a cup of tea and just looking out at the water memorized. I could really just sit and look at this all day long. Who ever gets this home will be the luckiest person in the world. One can only dream of a home like this. Once again, Design Team you did a wonderful job. You guys are amazing!!!!

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 6:34 am
  8. I think the design team have really out done themselves with this one!!!! Did I say I want this yet??? lol I know it is not the "I want this" program but I WANT THIS SOOOO BAD. I am handicapped and should retire right now but I can't because of what I have to pay where I live right now. If I had this home I would be able to retire and live a less stressful life. Who ever gets this home I hope you enjoy every inch of it. It is the most amazing thing that I have ever seen. To me this would be a blessing and a dream come true. <3 <3 <3 <3

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 6:40 am
  9. VOTED!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO This is going to be soooooo much fun. I can not wait to see the finished projects.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 6:42 am
  10. LOVE the new designs! So, here's my two cents: Please (please, please, pleeeeeeeeease), screen in the porch. The bugs get ridiculous…and when you have visitors, the doors will be opening and closing all the time. Having a screened-in porch gives you an added barrier against the bugs, and makes sitting on the porch enjoyable in the evening, when bugs are ferocious. Also, would there be any possible way to swap the location of the kitchen and dining room? I spend a LOT of time in the kitchen, and I can't imagine being in a house with this kind of view, and having no window in the kitchen. Thanks for listening, we really appreciate what you're doing with these old gems!

MGYinSC on January 4, 2013 at 8:41 am