Jan 3

Vote Now: People’s Choice Round One

People's Choice Vote

Today marks the beginning of the People’s Choice portion of our Blog Cabin 2013 coverage. We invite you to help us select the paint color palette, siding style and roofing material. Vote up to 10 times per day for building materials and encourage others to participate too!

Once you vote, take time to examine our “after” floor plan slideshow, which features renderings of the renovated home, elevations and first and second floor floor plans. We’re making major changes, while maintaining the Southern charm of this historic home. Enjoy and please post your thoughts below.

• Posted at 10:15 am on January 1, 2013

1. Fantastic Choices for us to choose from for both the exterior siding style and the roof shingle style!
    Color palette choices for interior perfect for a beach cabin.
    "After" plans amazing!
    Round One: Great start to voting!
    Voting (and comments) on this renovation should be a great deal of fun!

Lester B. on January 3, 2013 at 9:00 pm
  2. Hip Hip Hooray I just voted, and I am hoping for the Urban cabin because of the warm color tones.

tltmags on January 3, 2013 at 10:12 pm
    • I wish that they had put a tin roof on the house so you could lay in bed and listen to the rain. I really would have liked for the house to have more bedrooms cause people that live in the mountains like we do, a lot of us like to go to the Beach together and stay together. I love the way everything is decorated, the colors are lovely and I love the furnishings too. Boy would I like to have the good luck to win this house……

Lynn on January 19, 2013 at 8:54 pm
  3. Yes consider the handicap

tltmags on January 3, 2013 at 10:13 pm
  4. <3 :D <3 JUST ANOTHER THANK YEWWWWWWWWW TO MARY & DYLAN!!! We DO have some revision ideas and needs but OH, how we appreciate this new plan and the garden ideas too! HOORAY! <3 :D <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 3, 2013 at 10:18 pm
  5. Looking at the revised plans, I have to say we need more bedrooms.

Two bedrooms on the main level, and two on the upper level.

tltmags on January 3, 2013 at 10:34 pm
  6. I have 5 grand-kids I need a big house lot of bed rooms lol

Karla on January 3, 2013 at 10:34 pm
    • I agree. I think most people have kids and relatives that would WANT to visit. This floor plan cannot give enough privacy. Sure, you can convert the HUGE media room to a bunk room , but that only works for kids. I really hope DIY reconsiders!

quint103 on January 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm
  7. Fantastic design. The builder certainly did their homework on what bloggers have asked for in previous homes.
    - Entrances that, with a the addition of a simple ramp, can be mobility impaired accessible.
    - Bedroom and powder room on the ground floor
    - Open plan, kitchen opens to dining area then out to the ocean
    - Laundry room well away from other rooms (who wants the noise of washers and dryers when relaxing in
    front of the fire.
    - Mud room area including powder room and laundry room with direct access to porch saving dirt in the
    main part of the house.
    - 8ft wide covered porch along water view sides.
    - Windows and French doors (not sliding doors).
    - Cupola at top of stairs for natural ventilation
    - Large closet in MBR.
    - Independent access and small porch for MBR privacy
    - 4 (yes 4) bedrooms with the addition of a day bed on the foyer area + possibility of sleeping on the porch in
    good weather.
    - Upstairs covered balcony giving excellent elevated views (unlike 2012 house)
    All this in about 2000sq ft. Voters will decorate this house but the designers (IMHO) have really got it right. Best reno yet by far. :) :DxD

Clive on January 3, 2013 at 11:16 pm
    • Clive where do you see 4 bedrooms? I only see two, pluse the day bed.

vicki_in_Utah on January 3, 2013 at 11:50 pm
    • Two are marked as bedrooms. The 'media room' doubles as a bedroom. A bed is included in the drawings that may be a murphy bed. With a aimple change of furniture the 'foyer' is an (albeit small) 4th bedroom. Then there's the porch in good weather. The, so called, 'media room' is really what my family in NC would call a 'bonus room' and can be adapted for many things. I see no real reason for a dedicated 'media room' in this house. This is just the name given so that Mega Dens (or similar) can get a piece of the action. These are the 4 rooms that are or can be bedrooms with ease. :)

Clive on January 4, 2013 at 12:08 am
    • The only thing that keeps the media room being called a bedroom is the lack of a closet. That also applies to the foyer so the real estate description for resale can only be two bedrooms. That could easily be changed in the media room by adding a small closet in the corner. Advertising could then be for a 3 bedroom cottage. I wouldn't want to sell it if I won it, though! Attachment to this place has taken hold here!

grammagail on January 4, 2013 at 11:46 am
    • A closet isn't mandatory to describe a room as a bedroom – at least not around where we live. National codes require certain safety features the most important of these are the two means of egress, minimum sizes & heights for windows and smoke alarms. Both the 'media room' and the foyer' meet the egress code with the French doors in addition to their interior door. Alarms are easy.

It would make a great vacation home, permanent home or vacation letting. Two/four bedrooms sleeping 8, maybe 10 with a sleeper couch in the living room. This could be a good business investment too as an income generating vacation rental. Houses in ths region and of this quality can let for up to $2000 per week high season.

Clive on January 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    • Yes, let's get our vote against the sliding doors in early!

Lea Whitfield on January 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm
  8. Wondering what they will do for primary heating and cooling as well as the living room fireplace and cupola vent.

Clive on January 3, 2013 at 11:16 pm
  9. Please consider putting screens on the porches! I do like that one can come in from boating and fishing, etc. into a mudroom. Laundry there will keep wet swimsuits and gear out of the main part of the house. I do agree with a comment made earlier that there seems very limited space to put any fishing gear and other such essentials. Storage areas always seem to be minimal in these remodels. Guess that is because they see these as vacation homes. A media room is not that important to me at the beach but I guess they have to give all their "experts" a room to complete. At least they have a murphy bed there and as Clive said, the foyer area could be made into a makeshift bedroom if needed.

Hazelnut Deb on January 3, 2013 at 11:39 pm
    • I agree, This home needs a screened porche.

vicki_in_Utah on January 3, 2013 at 11:48 pm
  10. I fell in love with the old house in the early posts but was disappointed in the floor plan. I envision coming in from clamming at sunset, wet and sandy, and then walking to the laundry room is through the dining room? Consider a door from the master bath to the laundry. Having a door to the outside from either the laundry/mud room or the master bath would also be a great addition. The sound can get messy, and it would be nice to get out of the wet stuff there. Absolutely agree with those who have said convert the media room to another bedroom and screen part of the porch. Even on rainy days, the location is the entertainment. A media room that large is a waste.

AdieMc on January 4, 2013 at 12:25 am