Jan 3

Vote Now: People’s Choice Round One

People's Choice Vote

Today marks the beginning of the People’s Choice portion of our Blog Cabin 2013 coverage. We invite you to help us select the paint color palette, siding style and roofing material. Vote up to 10 times per day for building materials and encourage others to participate too!

Once you vote, take time to examine our “after” floor plan slideshow, which features renderings of the renovated home, elevations and first and second floor floor plans. We’re making major changes, while maintaining the Southern charm of this historic home. Enjoy and please post your thoughts below.

• Posted at 10:15 am on January 1, 2013

1. For those of you that don't know this, I thought you would be interested to know that…After you have voted and the results comes up, you can touch each voting line and it will show you what that item or color looks like on the Cabin!!

Jennie/Florida on January 3, 2013 at 4:04 pm
    • Or touch the + in the corner before you vote

zulumom on January 3, 2013 at 7:01 pm
  2. I am disappointed with the location of the laundry room, necessitating a trip through the entire first floor almost to get there from the master bedroom. Kitchen needs windows to outside but not possible where it is located. I have a kitchen open to a great room now and I really don't like it. Hope the powers that be will reconsider the floor plans and consider the suggestions people have made.

Ginny on January 3, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    • I would switch the locations between powder + laundry combo to the middle where the kitchen is and the kitchen to the side where they currently are instead of the middle with no door or window. The door that open to the porch would make it convenient for BBQ items to be taken in and out. And the laundry room would be more convenient to all the bedrooms.

zulumom on January 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm
    • A simple solution would be to put a tilt bin at the end of the master bath through to the laundry.
      If not then the designer doesn't do the laundry :D

grammagail on January 3, 2013 at 7:37 pm
    • that sounds like a good Idea to me, just open it up in laundry room and put towels & dirty clothes right into washer to clean. Then you would only have to put clean things back where they belong.
      Maybe a laundry shoot from the up stairs bathroom to the laundry room below, that's almost right over it.

home_girl on January 4, 2013 at 1:26 am
    • LOVE LAUNDRY SHOOTS!:)<3;)o.0!

ruffybc on January 5, 2013 at 12:55 pm
  3. YEEHAW!! :)

Michele Bernier on January 3, 2013 at 4:59 pm
  4. Very exciting, but please ….some protection from the bugs! Two bedrooms? This is a fabulous location, so who needs such a huge media room? Watch tv when there is plenty to do outside or relaxing on the porch or dock? PLEASE reconsider!!!!!!!!! I would love to see a reconfigured design that incorporates another bedroom and a fireplace!!!!

quint103 on January 3, 2013 at 5:22 pm
    • Absolutely right, Quint103!!! xD:D Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 3, 2013 at 5:31 pm
    • Quint103, I do plan to have guest over so I would need more than two bedrooms in the entire house. You are absolutely right let's get rid of the media room.

tltmags on January 3, 2013 at 10:36 pm
    • There's a Murphy bed in the media room.

Murphy on January 5, 2013 at 10:48 pm
    • I completely agree. I just commented on this article a minute ago about how silly it looked that they took out half the bedrooms in the house. And now there's this huge loft space? Hmm … :/

Alicia9981 on January 6, 2013 at 11:01 pm
    • HI! I agree, can always use another bedroom, whether or not it is used as such. A working(gas) fireplace would be devine for those cool summer nights! I,persona;;y ;ike to cozy up on just such noghts, but prefer the no-mess and efficiency of a gas fireplace.

maryc on January 11, 2013 at 2:03 pm
    • Love the pics of the original house, very comfortable looking. The location is great.
      I agree with Quint. Why a media room? Why not take advantage of the large space and make it a second master suite – would need a private bath, and closet. Fire place is a must. How can you be rustic without a fire place? And how about an outdoor fire pit?

suzy9443 on January 13, 2013 at 1:49 pm
  5. Love all the pictures of the plans. I really like the floor plans. Nothing I would change. I would just be so thankful to win a new house. I can't find anything wrong with the plans right now. I love the open concept of the downstairs. My only hope would be an island not a peninsula in the kitchen.

Noreen on January 3, 2013 at 5:30 pm
  6. WOOOOOO!!!! WOOOOOO!!!! And away we go!xD;)B)

Dghawk4 on January 3, 2013 at 5:50 pm
  7. My aunt lives south of here on the coast near Wilmington, This is such a beautiful area. We're having a lot of fun watching this Blog Cabin and reading the comments. This is going to be a wonderful cottage when it's finished if they keep to these plans. I like the wide porches, French doors and big windows to take advantage of all the views and cooling brezes.

Some people are asking for screened porches which are OK but my aunt doesn't have them and she has no problem with bugs. There's an almost constant sea breeze when you're this near the water which keeps the mosquitoes and flies further inland. She has fans on her porch too which also helps with bugs and cooling on the days when there's no breeze.

Dot on January 3, 2013 at 6:11 pm
  8. Alicia what do you think of the new Floor plans? Since this was your home I am interested in what you have to say. What do you think about kitchen being in the middle of the house, and only 2 bedrooms now?
    As you lived there year round can you tell us what you think about the porch not being screened in? Would you say the bugs are bad enough that you needed them or would be fine without them?
    I remember you saying that your parents made sure doors was kept shut and all holes filled to keep bugs out!
    I guess one can always do what they will have to do at the 2012 BC and put up an screen house to sit in during bug season,( which is most of the summer months). If you have to use an screened house to enjoy the outdoors, then what the since of a nice porch if you can't enjoy it.

home_girl on January 3, 2013 at 6:48 pm
    • The porches seem to be covered so screening part of it should be pretty easy. I am upo to the task if I win.

zulumom on January 3, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    • Yes, could be done with a little work, time and money. A few ceiling fans on there would be nice too I am sure.

home_girl on January 3, 2013 at 7:48 pm
    • Ditto!:p

ruffybc on January 5, 2013 at 1:01 pm
  9. My first time blogging, EVER… My New Year 2013 goal is to participate with this on-line renovation! I'm not computer savvy but this will give me more of a determination to learn and participate with something that is domestic fun! I saw the layout plan and I love the foyer…. and the rest of the layout. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and laundry room so my concern is that this laundry room is not with the flow connecting to the kitchen… Or at least a hallway from a bedroom. Also wishing for big bright outside windows in the kitchen and a beautiful traditional fireplace with a grand mantel. I think double French doors should open out from the dining room out to the back porch. This would make nice flow for parties ….

Lin on January 3, 2013 at 7:22 pm
    • Welcome Lin, this blog is a great place to start. I've been following for years now, all because there are such great people here. I hope you'll enjoy both blogging and voting, and best of luck to you in the contest this year!

SID on January 3, 2013 at 9:24 pm
    • Lin
      Welcome-come join the fun-we are a crazy group! Hope you like pirate parties?:) Arrgh!

ruffybc on January 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm
  10. This home is very remote, and with that in mind I wish the kitchen had a pantry. Absolutely DIY please put upper cabinets in the kitchen! I think you might feel tempted to go with bottom cabinets only to make the small kitchen appear larger.
    Closet space is limited. Where will the winner stash their fishing gear, beach toys, and linens?
    Cabins in a Fan-tastic location like this one need storage! Looks like the Mega Den space will need to double as the third bedroom.
    Mary I believe you described this home well with the term "southern charm" doesn't look as beachy oceanfront as I wanted it to, but thankfully it doesn't look as formal as I feared it would either. :)
    Lastly, my favorite NC Lighthouse is the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse, and there is something about the design of this home that reminds me of that charming, beautiful & unique lighthouse, maybe the roof lines, gables, and cupola.

Mel on January 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm
    • Hi Mel! Having never been to North or South Carolina what is the weather like there? You seem to know the area a little better than the rest. It looks beautiful from the videos and pictures that I have seen.

Rebecca on January 5, 2013 at 12:15 am
    • Rebecca the weather is nice IMO. We have four seasons, even at our coast.
      It will rarely ever dip below freezing at the coast, but we do get an occasional snow there. Our air is humid. I have heard residents from other states say it's our humidity that bothers them, because the amount of water in the air allows you to feel hot and cold more acutely. Tornadoes are rare, same with earthquakes, and fires from draught. Hurricanes are what you have to worry about.
      Our coast is the least developed part of our state. You will see miles and miles of farmland, drive thru small rural towns with less than 5 stoplights, and likely see 25mph speed limit signs posted as you are traveling thru those tiny towns on your way to our beaches. In our modern hustle, bustle world it feels like you are heading back in time. It's a nice feeling. Our coastal natives know how to live off of the land, and not abuse it, whether they be farmer or fisherman, so much of our coast remains rural and beautiful. My husband was born on the NC coast not far from the BC, as was his father, and his father, and his father, and so on and so on…

Mel on January 5, 2013 at 9:34 am
    • Sorry, I had to break up my comment.
      If you want to get a "feel" for what the NC coast is like, listen to this song
      Ryan Adams is a native of Jacksonville NC ( the largest NC coastal town)
      He is So talented, and one of my favorite singer/songwriters
      The name of the song is—Oh My Sweet Carolina http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsi9ljzclc8

Mel on January 5, 2013 at 10:03 am
    • Very beautiful song Mel. Thanks

Rebecca on January 5, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    • Mel
      Oooooh! good thoughts! I agree-missed that-a pantry would be super. Maybe they can take the space from the fancy foyer for a pantry? I love to stock up for bad weather and expected company:) Lots of company! Also your thoughts on closets-yes very important. And what beach house does not need closets for storage of towels, and towels and more towels and other linens for company? I also plan on being there in the winter so I will have to store blankets,etc.:)
      I am hoping that when they renovate the dock they can incorporate and storage place for toys and fishing gear and clean up like Kitty suggested:)

ruffybc on January 5, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    • Yes! You can never have enough storage space in a kitchen! In the last kitchen, my dad and step-mom had built upper and lower cabinets for storage, but I do agree that a pantry (even a narrow one) would be ideal.

Alicia9981 on January 7, 2013 at 9:33 pm