Jan 3

Vote Now: People’s Choice Round One

People's Choice Vote

Today marks the beginning of the People’s Choice portion of our Blog Cabin 2013 coverage. We invite you to help us select the paint color palette, siding style and roofing material. Vote up to 10 times per day for building materials and encourage others to participate too!

Once you vote, take time to examine our “after” floor plan slideshow, which features renderings of the renovated home, elevations and first and second floor floor plans. We’re making major changes, while maintaining the Southern charm of this historic home. Enjoy and please post your thoughts below.

• Posted at 10:15 am on January 1, 2013

1. Now that I have looked at the plans I have a couple of questions.
    Number one: Where is the fireplace to cozy up to on chilly wet days in the fall and winter??? I see no chimneys!
    Number two: does the cupola (which I love!) open to catch the breezes off the water in the hot summer? A closed cupola would be horribly hot when the sun is high but if it opens would provide natural convection cooling for the upstairs.
    And yes! the porch needs to be screened somewhere for mosquito season.
    Love the design layout and a handicap ramp could easily be built across the back to attach on the west side porch with out destroying the aesthetic look of the cottage. Like that idea!
    We are actually only a two bedroom cottage at this point but I can see the media room becoming a bedroom overlooking the water since our lifestyle is the media room is anywhere we sit.

grammagail on January 3, 2013 at 12:35 pm
    • I like your ideas on the cupola. I have one on my existing house, but it doesn't open. There is a large ceiling fan mounted directly below the cupola on my house which serves to move the warm air up or down, based on the season – that would work here too I think.

Windsmurf on January 3, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    • Yes on the fan as an important part of moving the air faster! The link to the Florida House at the Univ of Fla in Sarasota show a cupola they have with fan and it was delightful in there with outside temps in the 90's and unbearable humidity.
      I got to thinking (always dangerous in my case!) if my greenhouse opens and closes its vent automatically according to the inside temp why couldn't you have the sides of the cupola do the same. it is about as simple as solar gets working on a cylinder of wax melting and solidifying to open and close. The cylinder is adjustable simply by screwing it tighter or looser to change the temp at which it opens. My green house opens slightly at 50 degrees and then opens more as the temp goes up. I would think it could be adjusted to the comfort level for the cottage up stairs and no one would have to open or shut it on a daily basis!

grammagail on January 3, 2013 at 1:41 pm
    • Gail, did you notice on the floor plans that there is going to be a murphy bed in the media room? That will be so cool, just fold it down and you have an extra bed for overnight guests. I don't know why murphy beds ever went out of style, they are so convenient and don't take up valuable room space when the bed is folded away. We previously lived in a 1930's architect built home that had twin murphy beds built into a closet in the library. It was very easy to fold away, even with the bed all made up for sleeping.:D

SID on January 3, 2013 at 3:22 pm
    • Sid, I agree that the murphy bed is a great addition–they should keep it in the media/family room for extra guests. But that room, in my opinion needs to be smaller and more cozy to allow for another private bedroom. I believe it is mandatory to have at least 3 bedrooms! And downstairs, YES, please have some porch screening! Thank you, DIY!!! :) xD:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 3, 2013 at 5:38 pm
    • I agree they should create a bunk room for kids in part of the media room( a pyramid bunk would be great). You dont go to the beach to sit and watch TV so much but you get a lot of people to sleep in. The little entrance porch downstairs could also have a long deep banquette where someone could sleep.

zulumom on January 3, 2013 at 6:37 pm
    • I agree; some protection from the bugs! Two bedrooms? This is a fabulous location, so who needs such a huge media room? Watch tv when there is plenty to do outside or relaxing on the porch or dock? PLEASE reconsider!!!!!!!!! I would love to see a reconfigured design that incorporates another bedroom!!!!

Quint103 on January 3, 2013 at 5:18 pm
  2. Here is a look at a house built for major defense against summer heat but it has ideas easily adaptable for NC climate. I visited this place a couple of times around 2000-2001 and was enchanted! http://www.buildinggreen.com/hpb/overview.cfm?Pro

grammagail on January 3, 2013 at 1:13 pm
  3. Okay, I got my vote in… Though I wish they hade more of a color choice then they have! :|
    And please, please don't go throughing in neon bright color anny thing!!!!
    How about some nice and cozy warm colors that have a more homey feel to them?!?! B)

asandmancan on January 3, 2013 at 1:15 pm
  4. We're off to the races, the green flag is down, you can hear the roar of the crowd as folks post their votes….

It'll be a grueling ordeal, but DIY fans are always up to the task. Of course, knowing the layout of the track ahead allows for placing your votes wisely, so here's a preview of what's to come:
    Upcoming online voting topics for cabin design features include:

Thursday, Jan. 3 – Wednesday, Jan. 16: Inside and Out Features
    Thursday, Jan. 17 – Wednesday, Jan. 30: Kitchen Features
    Thursday, Jan. 31 – Wednesday, Feb. 13: Master Suite Features
    Thursday, Feb. 14 – Wednesday, Feb. 27: Second Floor Family Room Features
    Thursday, Feb. 28 – Wednesday, March 13: First Floor Main Living Area Features
    Thursday, March 14 – Wednesday, March 27: Outdoor Features
    Thursday, April 4 – Friday, May 17: “Cabin Comforts”

Fans can also vote on non-construction related aspects of the cabin. DIYNetwork.com will feature weekly polls for design decisions for the project, including kitchen and bathroom design details and finishing touches for various rooms in the home.

Remember — pace yourself, vote often, and drink plenty of fluids….

DBCoop on January 3, 2013 at 1:25 pm
    • Hi Coop , It's been a long time my friend . Happy to see you here . I was just visiting the Dream Home and taking in all of it's beauty , and thought I'd stop by here to see if any of the Great friends were still here… I got an email from HGTV to enter for the DH . It is a True Beauty , isn't it ? Just as the Blog Cabin 2013 will be when all these gifted miracle workers finish with their magic, I 'm positive it will be breath taking too. Even though they do have a Huge task at hand ,I know what they are capable of and No One will be disappointed when it is finished. I pray all that will be working on the Blog Cabin ,Safety and plenty of Great weather.

AliB on January 3, 2013 at 5:07 pm
    • Hi AliB — a name well-remembered I'm glad to see.

I am constantly in awe of the amount of work done during these breathtaking renovations that all of the dedicated DIY folks continue to bring us, and Blog Cabin 2013 appears to require more sweat equity than any of the previous transformations. But until the final reveal, we've got plenty of tough decisions and dedicated voting to do before this project is wrapped up.

DBCoop on January 4, 2013 at 2:07 am
    • I'd like them to shorten the time frames-a week is okay.

Nebraska on January 4, 2013 at 10:37 am
    • I agree — two weeks of voting is a stretch for the regulars, but I guess it takes some folks longer to pick up on the People's Choice vote and register their opinions.

DBCoop on January 4, 2013 at 1:38 pm
    • Coop – Looks like your on staff,

StellaF on January 4, 2013 at 3:38 pm
  5. Thanks Mary, what a great start for the new year. One comment, could there be three sets of French doors across the first floor front rather than 1french door and two sets of windows? That would really open up that area and extend the living space onto the front porch and would give it a lot of charm as well. For the most part I like the floor plan, only awkward thing I noted was that you need to go through the dining room to get to the laundry room. Is that a fireplace on the East wall of the living room?

Windsmurf on January 3, 2013 at 1:26 pm
    • To simplify fitting the space you could replace the windows with single patio doors giving full access to the deck. Screens please!!!

grammagail on January 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm
    • I am referring to the South elevation which shows double windows on either side of the french doors, there would be plenty of room for replacing those with double french doors if the drawings/renderings are anything close to scale. Replacing the double windows with single doors would lose light and openness. I've seen the three sets of french doors opening onto porch/patios before and it is truly awesome, almost like having no barrier at all between the inside and outside.

Windsmurf on January 3, 2013 at 4:34 pm
    • Sorry, I was thinking wrong!
      You are right and to increase the air flow would be wonderful!!!!

grammagail on January 3, 2013 at 8:02 pm
    • I think in the dining room a wrap around banquette under the window would be better. I like the only one french door in the middle feature. It also make it easier to put a lot of rocking chairs on the porch.

zulumom on January 3, 2013 at 6:40 pm
    • I wonder if they are going to include an enclosed screened space on the deck??? That would solve the problem and sitting out could be done when the bugs are gone.

grammagail on January 3, 2013 at 8:04 pm
  6. One could live with these plans for the cottage, but you are giving up a lot of bedrooms and bath rooms. I miss the big kitchen on the outside where it's nice and with views from 3 sides if you wanted it, and all that room to move around and sit and talk and share stories! Where's the rocking chair going to set? The breakfast nook?
    No I can't say I like it at all, stuck on the inside like that and small and no windows. I would give up the foyer (who need one anyway, right?) for a bigger kitchen with windows, which is the heart of the home. Please put the kitchen on the end with windows, let the cool summer breeze flow thought them to keep it cool while cooking there in summer. You can turn the kitchen into a big laundry- storage room or make it the dining room, those rooms don't need windows.

home_girl on January 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm
    • Home girl
      I agree if something can go it would be a foyer-add it to the living spaces-just a door and closet for coats etc. no big to do about nothing:) This is a casual home-no need to make a big splash with a fancy foyer. I would be more interested in the mudroom set up/ laundry areas-they have real functions in a home by the beach. Fancy foyers are not needed.:)

ruffybc on January 5, 2013 at 12:51 pm
    • I couldn't agree more. A kitchen MUST HAVE windows. It is where my family always ends up gathering. Not in the dining room, but THE KITCHEN. Put the kitchen on the end with lots of light and those GORGEOUS views. PLEEEEASE.

Goin2SC on January 10, 2013 at 7:23 pm
  7. For the roof shingles I like the woodland style reminds me of the water front, the way the water ripples the sand and the stones you see in the water all wavy looking.
    I like the light color gray giving it that faded weathered look like it had before.
    As for the inside colors I like some of both, I am hoping for a mix of colors in this home. Like purple, blues, coral, rose & shades of whites; colors you see along the shores in plants, sea life. colors of the waters & sea shells.
    They have a color chart called "color Pizzazz" that has some nice colors, wonder why they didn't put that down as one of the choices?

home_girl on January 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm
  8. Want to give a HUGE BRAVO to Dylan Eastman for regaling us with several "how to's" along Home Gardening lines!!! WOW! Wonderful stuff–loved the down to earth (no pun intended) info on herb growing, thank you, Mary for editing too! What a team! What a team! B):*:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 3, 2013 at 2:47 pm
    • Great team indeed, I think BC this year is going to be really special. Kitty, I'll be thinking of you especially tomorrow – hoping all goes well when you see your physicians. Love to you, Sandy<3

SID on January 3, 2013 at 9:29 pm
    • Thank you so much, Sandy! That means a lot to me and I appreciate your thoughts! I am really excited about this year's BC Team, aren't you? Love Dylan's wonderful extras–what a gem of an addition he is to the DIY Group! Have a nice evening! :D ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 3, 2013 at 10:02 pm
  9. Great. Love location and design. Enjoy just day dreaming. Thanks.

ConnieB'ham on January 3, 2013 at 3:23 pm
  10. Doing the happy dance! Just love the new floor plans: open floor plan, switch back stairs, first floor laundry room AND powder room! Thrilled to see plans for a wrap around porch and also small porch upstairs off the media room to enjoy the ocean views. Delighted to see there are plans for a murphy bed upstairs in the media room-doesn't take up space when folded away and much easier and more comfortable than a sofa bed for extra overnight guests! I don't see a chimney stack in the plans so is that a duct free fireplace or stove in the L.R? Not really a fan of those vent free propane fireplaces, but If I were the lucky winner I guess I could live with it or find a way to pay for the real deal! That little entry foyer could be adapted into a library. Voting will be extra delightful this year, and when the contest entry period begins I'll be entering daily and dreamin' of living Down East!

SID on January 3, 2013 at 3:46 pm