Jan 3

Vote Now: People’s Choice Round One

People's Choice Vote

Today marks the beginning of the People’s Choice portion of our Blog Cabin 2013 coverage. We invite you to help us select the paint color palette, siding style and roofing material. Vote up to 10 times per day for building materials and encourage others to participate too!

Once you vote, take time to examine our “after” floor plan slideshow, which features renderings of the renovated home, elevations and first and second floor floor plans. We’re making major changes, while maintaining the Southern charm of this historic home. Enjoy and please post your thoughts below.

• Posted at 10:15 am on January 1, 2013

1. I'm not sure what drives the ideas for the design, but I'm a little surprised at the lack of long range thinking that has gone into the plan. Perhaps the designers are landlocked and have not had experience with a coastal cottage or maybe it's just Madison Avenue thinking. My thoughts are in concert with some of those previously mentioned. If you've ever spent the night along the Pamlico Sound, you'll find out how voracious the mosquitoes are. That's why all of the newer homes have screened in porches! A media room?! Seriously?! Why would you want to stay indoors watching TV and listening to tunes when you have all of the activities that the Crystal Coast offers. Obviously a feature thought up by one of your 20-something designers. And lastly, how about a real working fireplace. Non-vented LP gas is just wrong. I hope it isn't too late to change your mind.

Movlas2 on January 7, 2013 at 5:11 pm
    • Sometimes when the weather is not so permitting watching a nice movie with the family is a nice 2nd best. Also some of us are not as able to get around as good as we use to for a number of reasons. I for one have good days and bad days to where I can barely move. When I have those days my children come over and try to sit and watch a movie with me or sit and chat. On those days I couldn't think of a better room than a media room. The beauty about this house is a person like myself would still be able to at least look at the beautiful scenery and it just might help to lift our spirits when we aren't feeling as mobile. I wouldn't change a thing. I love it. Much love.

Rebecca on January 7, 2013 at 9:48 pm
    • Ah, Rebecca, I know what you mean. However, bear in mind that the media room in the blog cabin is UPSTAIRS on the second floor. I'm not sure what exactly the folks at HGTV have in mind for that room (flat screen TV, video games, sound systems etc) but it could even be a library. What hasn't been made apparent is that the blog cabin is in Atlantic, not Atlantic Beach. It's rather remote, with no supermarkets or restaurants nearby. It's a wonderful location and a fabulous get-away place. I'm really looking forward to the progress as time passes.

Movlas2 on January 8, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    • Ah Movlas2, these are only my personal opinions. Yes I know the media room is on the second floor and just because you have limitations does not mean you can not get to the upstairs level. There are many ways of getting upstairs for people with disabilities. Yes it could be a library as well, that does not mean that you can't put other things in the room. My point was that the room is not just wasted space. As you said yourself it is a remote area with nothing around and good for a get away. Again sometimes weather or other things may come into play and staying indoors might be a better option that day. I personally would not use the home for a get a way place I would actually then be able to retire and live there. Right now I can't because I would not be able to afford it. Even though outside may be beautiful, you just might not be able to all the time. I wouldn't change a thing DIY Design Team! I love it!! Much Love!

Rebecca on January 8, 2013 at 1:11 pm
  2. With my time difference, I haven't had a chance to check out the cabin cam lately. I just heard they've torn down the last wall of the original home?! I don't know that I wanna look. Is it going to make me cry?! =/ It's so much easier to just talk about the changes they're making instead of watching them happen. Ugh.

Alicia9981 on January 7, 2013 at 9:30 pm
    • yes Alicia your cottage is all gone now sorry, they put up a whole new building there. I wonder if it will kind of look the same in the end? Will you know (beside it being all new wood) that it's not the same cottage? I mean it's suppose to be same size and sit in the same place, somewhat same lay out as your cottage but with all new bones & windows. I know this must be hard for your family to look at and think about in a way, but then think about it getting a whole fresh start must feel good too, if it will really look like the cottage did before.
      Will be fun to hear what your family thinks when you see it all finished, on how much you think it looks like the one you lived in or not. Might be more of what it looked like before you all build on the new kitchen, just that the kitchen & birthing room got switched around.

home_girl on January 11, 2013 at 12:41 pm
    • Sadly they needed to replace the structure of your cottage, but your memories of it will forever live in your heart where termites, flood and rot cannot touch them. We all hope that the family that wins it can build beautiful memories of their own.

zulumom on January 11, 2013 at 7:31 pm
  3. Have been voting my little heart out! But not many seem so share my love for the natural green over the so over used seafoam green/blue and seashell look!! To vacation and not homey!!!! The original structure had such character i hated to see it go. But am loving what is coming.

ffm591 on January 8, 2013 at 11:49 am
  4. I have changed my mind abouut the interior colors. I now prefer the cool costal colors due to the proximity to the water. The Timberline shingles with the cream color exterior would really look great, but whatever is chosen is going to look fantastic! Looking forward to the next round of voting.

nmdeman on January 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm
  5. YAY!!!!! I JUST LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR. The magic that happens when you all get to work on these homes to turn something a wreck into the Ritz blows my mind.

Dottie In Washington on January 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm
  6. I vote and definately have picked the ones that I love the best. I really think the design team did a good job selecting all of the choices that we have to vote on. All of them will look beautiful no matter which one is selected in the end.

Rebecca on January 9, 2013 at 2:58 pm
  7. love the blog cabin, the location is wonderful!

Lyn on January 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm
  8. hello,my friend,how are you

Nike Air Max 90 Black on January 10, 2013 at 7:46 am
  9. I absolutely love the location! I love the outside renderings of the home. But… And I don't mean this critical, only helpful and practical…. 1. Please move the kitchen to the Southern side with the windows, light and gorgeous views. The kitchen is the heart of the home, not the dining room. Maximize it. 2. As a Carolina lover, spending much time there. You really should incorporate a screened in porch. The Mosquitos and Gnats can eat one alive on those balmy nights. 3. Please add more closets. That is just practical and common sense….oh and a fireplace would be heavenly. :-)
    Again. Please take this as constructive suggestions. Not criticism. The home is and will be a beautiful blessing to whom ever wins. Thank you for what you do!

Goin2SC on January 10, 2013 at 7:35 pm
  10. The Blog Cabin 2013 is perfect for family and friends to gather and enjoy. My Husband and I are retired active , I like to call it " young Sixties " we enjoy fishing, golf and our time entertaining our friends and family. This Cabin is set in a Beautiful area to relax and enjoy life. I could find many places to read a good book or just enjoy nature. I would enjoy the outside living area to do my yoga. You have done a great job.:)

pammyj48 on January 10, 2013 at 9:02 pm