Jan 3

Vote Now: People’s Choice Round One

People's Choice Vote

Today marks the beginning of the People’s Choice portion of our Blog Cabin 2013 coverage. We invite you to help us select the paint color palette, siding style and roofing material. Vote up to 10 times per day for building materials and encourage others to participate too!

Once you vote, take time to examine our “after” floor plan slideshow, which features renderings of the renovated home, elevations and first and second floor floor plans. We’re making major changes, while maintaining the Southern charm of this historic home. Enjoy and please post your thoughts below.

• Posted at 10:15 am on January 1, 2013

1. A great looking place!!!

Charles Skurka on January 6, 2013 at 11:27 am
  2. my goodness! Anyone who has spent any time in a family beachhouse will know that you need a big kitchen.( often several cooks are working together), where you can see out, and close to a porch where you frequently serve meals. Also a convenient access to shower from outdoors for wet sandy bodies would be a real asset

barbara on January 6, 2013 at 1:38 pm
  3. Now that the walls are up in front, people will see that it truly is not a very big home. In my last posting, I said there were 5 men working…………sorry about that……there were 7 of them working this morning. 2000 square feet is not alot of room for all of the things that people would like. Yes, it is more like a true seaside cottage, with beautiful surroundings. Enjoy.:) :)

Woodworker from MN on January 6, 2013 at 4:07 pm
  4. All right, I've put in my two cents, for whatever they're worth!

I talked to my dad this morning and we were both surprised to find out that the porch doesn't look like it's going to be screened in. I know these guys are professionals and in no way am I qualified to tell them how to do anything, but I really think it'd be a good idea to screen in that porch! By working in the winter, they're safe from the threat of the Down East mosquitoes, but in the summer time … WHOA!

I really like the color choices they gave for the interior, keeping in line with the beachy or rustic theme. Nothing too modern. It wouldn't really fit anyway.

I am a little confused about the floorplan. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but it looks like they took a 5-bedroom house and brought it down to a 2-bedroom house with a big 'media' room?!? It might be just me and the history I have with the house, but Dobbie's was always a place to entertain people. Friends and family loved coming there because of all of the open space and bedrooms to accommodate everyone. Now it just looks like a big house that can have a ton of people visit, but only have a few stay the night. Not a good idea since there aren't any real hotels nearby!!

And can someone explain the media room? Or do we not know exactly what kind of media they're talking about for this particular cabin? It'd be great if it had lots of bookshelves and such, but it'd also be nice if there was another bedroom up there. I dunno … maybe it's just me …

Alicia9981 on January 6, 2013 at 11:00 pm
    • It is not only you , I agree with the idea that when you go on vacation you go fishing, read , you play board games with friends after dinner, you sip cool beverages on the screen porch; the TV should not be central stage (one TV in an antique armoire in the living room would be enough for rainy days or naps on the couch). You enjoy the relaxed atmosphere with all the friends that come spend a few days with you. You need more bedrooms so everyone can have a private place to relax, take afternoon naps when they feel like it. That media room could be turned into a large children's bedroom.

zulumom on January 7, 2013 at 6:42 am
    • Between the beach and the huge yard, my brother and I weren't allowed inside (and didn't want to be inside!) during the summer days as kids!! Well, except for when it was time to eat lunch … but even then we opted to eat on the porch!

Alicia9981 on January 7, 2013 at 10:07 am
    • Alicia Thank You so much for blogging your opinion of the new floor plan, you have lived in the home, and truly know it and the location! It appears many of the bloggers have the right ideas, and are calling for some tweaking of the design along the lines of what you are suggesting.
      I will try to explain why there is a Mega Dens (media room) going in the home. This is a Diy show that features home electronics. Anitra Mecadon is the designer and her style is modern rustic/eclectic with a big emphasis on repurposing. Her sponsors are helping to pay for this project. They want their products featured in an awesomely designed room where a family can come together and enjoy them. Since those sponsors are paying in part for this project Diy won't drop the show. I really believe Anitra will do the best job possible to make this space multi-functional and appropriate for sleeping guests. She has SkillZ. I know it won't be as private as a real bedroom—IMO this romantic oceanfront property calls for couple privacy. Children and singles will be easier to sleep.

Mel on January 7, 2013 at 10:02 am
    • Ugh, sponsors. Go figure. Thanks for that bit of information, though. It makes a little more sense to me now that they would put in a media room. "Media" does cover a lot of ground, so hopefully they won't make it too modern or else it will just seem so out of place.

Alicia9981 on January 7, 2013 at 9:18 pm
  5. I'm not a huge fan of the kitchen placement either. There's nothing better than morning sun pouring in through a kitchen window and this kitchen doesn't have any. Kinda disappointing. There are only a few small windows in the master bedroom, too. I know for a fact that it gets a little dark back in that room. It'd be nice if they put in a few bigger windows over the bed in the floor plan.

I do like the exterior door that leads into the bathroom on the main level, though. Great for guests coming in from the porch and not having to wander through the whole house.

Alicia9981 on January 6, 2013 at 11:11 pm
    • Nearly the entire east side of the master bedroom is either windows or French doors and there's a private porch. The morniing sun should flood that room, the window on the west side will let the evening sun in also.

I think the mud room is a great addition too.

Morning sun can still pour into the kitchen via the dining area, the big windows and Freach doors. It's all open plan. That should help.

Sally on January 6, 2013 at 11:29 pm
    • You forgot that the porch has a roof and it is 8 feet deep. But the views will be available if not the sun rays directly. It will be lovely and in my experience at the beach we BBQ a lot. I am sure they will have a nice patio for that effect.

zulumom on January 7, 2013 at 6:25 am
    • The MBR porch overhang is only half as wide as the rear porch so it will not block direct sunlight until about mid morning.

I'm still worried that the front of the house, with no windows or doors, will look uninviting.

They usually build a fire pit or fireplace somewhere in the yard. The BBQ will probably be on the big rear porch. Maybe they can incorporate a BBQ into the dock reno? Fresh fish straight from the ocean to the BBQ.:D

Sally on January 7, 2013 at 12:31 pm
  6. A gas fireplace please. Ashes are so dirty. A screened in area to keep the mosquitos away wouldbe great. This will be a beautiful house.

Phyllis Woolum on January 6, 2013 at 11:15 pm
    • Almost no ashes with a closed pellet or wood fired stove. Much greener and cheaper than gas.:)

Clive on January 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm
  7. I like the coastal cool color as it is bright but still inviting in and out. Love it.

LaVal Houskeeper on January 7, 2013 at 2:57 am
  8. Unusal for just 2 Bedrooms.

Jerry D on January 7, 2013 at 2:33 pm
    • As has been blogged by many, there are in reality 4 possible bedrooms. Two are marked bedrooms on the drawings. With the addition of doors to the landing the media room doubles as a huge bedroom and already has a Murphy bed included. The downstairs foyer is a possible 4th bedroom.

AnniesOwn on January 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm
  9. Okay I like the colors of the kitchen. I am not crazy about the plain walls. I would like to see something on the wall to the left of the window other than the shelving. I am not a professional designer so I could be wrong…..I think it looks nice everywhere else in the kitchen.

Ronda on January 7, 2013 at 2:49 pm
    • Take no notice of the kitchens in the voting pictuers, the cabin kitchen will be nothing like that. These are simply palette renderings to show what the colors will look like on a wall. There are no windows in the Blog Cabin cottage this year. :)

AnniesOwn on January 7, 2013 at 2:57 pm
    • Oops, sorry, that las sentence should read "There are no windows in the Blog Cabin kitchen this year. :) " :$

AnniesOwn on January 7, 2013 at 3:06 pm
  10. Looking forward to each step.

Dianne on January 7, 2013 at 4:46 pm