Jan 3

Vote Now: People’s Choice Round One

People's Choice Vote

Today marks the beginning of the People’s Choice portion of our Blog Cabin 2013 coverage. We invite you to help us select the paint color palette, siding style and roofing material. Vote up to 10 times per day for building materials and encourage others to participate too!

Once you vote, take time to examine our “after” floor plan slideshow, which features renderings of the renovated home, elevations and first and second floor floor plans. We’re making major changes, while maintaining the Southern charm of this historic home. Enjoy and please post your thoughts below.

• Posted at 10:15 am on January 1, 2013

1. Happy New Year…. Mary, You can't imagine how long we have been waiting for this day..Thank you so much for Making Our Day!!! We are ready to get to work! Haven't voted yet or seen the slideshow, but I'm so excited to get this journey started..Thank You again!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 3, 2013 at 10:25 am
  2. Thank you Mary, this was worth the wait. I was so happy that there is a powder room on the main floor, with a master bed and bath. I can't wait to hear what the other bloggers think about the choices. Love all the french doors. I hope they put a railing on the upper porch. It would be a long drop down.

vicki_in_Utah on January 3, 2013 at 11:05 am
  3. Looks like pretty damp weather today, again. I have remodeled an old farm houe built in 1907, but not to the extend of what is happening to this house. When working with old, old houses, the lumber is far thicker than today's dimension lumber. The carpenters will probably find wall studs that are 3" thick, instead of the common 1.5 inches. Todays dimension lumber cannot compete with the old lumber for strength. That is why there are so many old, old houses still in existance. Yes, this will be a big task, lots of hard work, but this house will sure have tons of character. It will be fun watching this house grow, and grow, and grow. Even our elementary age chidren are amazed at the photos, so far.

Woodworker on January 3, 2013 at 11:10 am
  4. Wow!
    I love the design and the choices of colors and textures (roofing)!
    I love that there is a main floor bedroom and full bath with a powder room all on the first floor. This will make the home wheel chair access.,etc. One will be able to live in this home with everything on one floor. I love the media room with the balcony-finally! can you access the little tower area????:):):) love it-arrrgh!
    My only request is to screen in the porch or at least a part of it. I know it will mess with the semetry of the design but it will give more comfortable access and use of the porch during buggy times. I did not see any fireplaces or did I miss it ot them. Also are there plans for an outdoor patio area? or am I jumping the gun-I know I am anxious:)! I love the home design-love all the windows taking in the views and light and air:) I also love the open concept of the diningrm, livingrm area,esp on the water side:) very nice:)
    This will be a beauty. Can't wait to see more and hear more from the bloggers:)

ruffybc on January 3, 2013 at 11:22 am
    • Jumping in here to agree with Ruffy–and comment. I could NOT vote on the three items today, can't get past the two color palette selections–there is no "ENTER" or "next" button showing so I can go nowhere!!! ME NO LIKEE…. Additionally, I am VERY nervous about the color palettes selected–way too much greens no patriotic or beach blues, hardly, with too much emphasis upon yellowgreens UGH! NOT relaxing. Overall–a beautiful house design! Ruffy I think I am seeing what represents a brick fireplace in living room–probably gas, since no chimney is visible in drawing. Wheelchair access will/would be awesome–if doors are sufficiently wide–a pocket door is recommended in Master Bath; and, turn-around spaces for wheelchair in smaller rooms per standards. Love this possibility!!! :) I like that there is a trundle bed, at least–great idea! BIG BUT, HOWEVER–NEED 3rd BEDROOM! Absolute MUST! Overall Plan is gorgeous and DIY Scored a happy dance from me!!! ;) xD:pxD<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 3, 2013 at 2:42 pm
    • Hi Kitty
      i agree about the color palette-not my first choices in colors. We wanted blues but the shades are not what I would pick first and agree also no green this time-enough already with the green. I love nature colors but I would like to see refreshing beachy colors for this home. I love AGAIN the idea of pocket doors esp. for access:) I hope there is at least one fireplace/stoves inside and out:)
      I am torn about the switching the kitchen with the dining area,etc. I like both positions-I guess I will go with what they pick. I will deal:( I just know I will have my wine ready to enjoy the view:)

ruffybc on January 5, 2013 at 12:45 pm
    • <3<3<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 5, 2013 at 10:09 pm
    • I would love to see one minor change to the floor plan. There is such a beautiful view out to the water, I would like to see the positions of the kitchen and dining room switched. If I was working in the kitchen I would LOVE to be able to look out and see that view :-)

C.L.K. on January 5, 2013 at 10:44 am
  5. Great……..the voting begins! But what is going on with the Urban Oasis and the Smart Home? We have not heard from Mary in months on either one of these blogs.

Summer on January 3, 2013 at 11:36 am
    • Patience is a Virtue………..Mary is probably very, very busy. Enjoy your day, and enjoy the progress on this soon to be, Magnificient Home.

Woodworker on January 3, 2013 at 11:45 am
  6. I love the floorplans and house rendering. Thanks!!!!

Summer on January 3, 2013 at 11:46 am
  7. This is just what we have been waiting for! Thank you and let the voting begin! I just wish more would consider the beautiful look of the Rough Sawn siding on this cottage. It will not be rough sawn wood exposed to the elements…it will be modern materials to protect the cottage but a gorgeous nod to the original look of the small one room cabin.

grammagail on January 3, 2013 at 11:50 am
    • I agree; the look would be wonderful. Unfortunately, the color choice is probably what is turning people off.

quint103 on January 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm
  8. Wouldn't it be neat, to put a chiming bell in the roof cupola? I just love the looks of that roof cupola. Very clever idea, and it gives the home an added old-time character. It could even be added to the door bell button.

Woodworker on January 3, 2013 at 11:52 am
    • Awesome idea. I love it!!! Yes Mary, please do this.

Goin2SC on January 10, 2013 at 7:17 pm
  9. So happy to see a new post today and to see the peoples choice portion is up I already did my voting and now I need to see the floor plans thank you guys for all your great work and may all your wishes come true Happy new Year BC crew and followers.

pixelecho69 on January 3, 2013 at 11:53 am
  10. Just went to vote..I must say, I've never owned a Cottage on the Beach, but have stayed at many Beach Cottages in all my Years and I have never seen these choices of color for roofing or siding on the cottages.. Where are the soft seabreeze colors, the light weathered look or nautical colors…Sorry bloggers, I'm disappointed in the choice of color inside and out….Not what I expected…Maybe they will grow on me in time but right now I see a lot of mixed colors that don't go together and not for a Beach Cottage!! Sorry to be so negative, I'm not usually a negative person but, I'm disappointed with the choices given…Please don't hit me!!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 3, 2013 at 12:02 pm
    • PS….On a Positive Note, I do like the revised floor plans and glad to know there is a Powder room on the first floor and also the Master bedroom…I love all the porches, hopefully portions of the porches will be screened in due to the Buggies!! I wonder what the new Sq. Footage is, with the new Design!!! Looks Grand!

Jennie/Florida on January 3, 2013 at 12:20 pm
    • The voting on the roofing is for the style only, not the color, presumably, they will match the color to the siding selected or at least select a light color to minimize heat absorbtion. On the siding we are choosing both the color and the style. There are a couple of the colors that I like there – NOT the yellow – that would get old and tired very quickly IMHO. The light gray and light green seem kind of beachy to me and would give the impression of a weathered finish. We do get to choose a coastal color palette for the interior colors, which seems appropriate to me. No hitting here, everyone's opinion is just as valid as everyone else's opinion. So vote for what you think is best.

Windsmurf on January 3, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    • Love the cream! (not yellow) Don't like gray! The pale green isn't bad. Wish the colors we see online were truer to actual colors!
      No one hits here, Jennie! Personal preferences are definitely not a hitting offense.LOL:)

grammagail on January 3, 2013 at 1:47 pm
    • Sorry, on my monitor the "cream" shows up as smiley-face yellow – not very appealing.

Windsmurf on January 3, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    • That was my point! Smiley face yellow is not on my list either!

grammagail on January 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm
    • Windsmurf, that's what it looks like on my monitor too…smiley-face yellow!

vicki_in_Utah on January 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm