Dec 21

Something Old Attached to Something New

Blog Cabin 2013 original first floor

Wondering where the original first floor ends and additions begin? Project manager Dylan Eastman doctored photos to show you just that. And don’t worry: We’ve got plans for that battered dock!

• Posted at 12:00 pm on December 12, 2012

1. Good "New Years Day" to all..I Hope this New Year will bring much happiness to all…First Day of a New Year, Now it's time to get really serious about this renovation!!! I am curious to know how they are going to do the second floor!! Are they going to raise the roof and extend the wall to proper height or are they going to raise the whole second floor to extend the height…I have never seen this done before and I can't wait to see how they are going to do this…At least it's warmer this morning for the guys to work…But they are expecting more rain this afternoon.
    I wish Mary would let us see the revised floor plans…This is 2013 and she said first of the year..Mary where are you??? Happy New Year!!! We are waiting for you to give us an update and the new F/Ps ..PLEASE!!! We are ready to get started on this New Adventure at the Beach Cottage!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 1, 2013 at 10:49 am
  2. <3<3<3 HAPPY NEW YEAR <3<3<3 I hope everyone had a wonderful time brining in the new year! I see some of the guys are already hard at work today. WOW! All of the holidays are now behind us so I guess the projects will go full speed ahead now! wooohooo I for one can not wait to start seeing it step by step right before my very eyes. The DIY teams are amazing at what they do. This home is going to be awesome!

Rebecca on January 1, 2013 at 10:49 am
  3. <3<3<3 HAPPY NEW YEAR <3<3<3 I hope everyone had a wonderful time brining in the new year. Now that all of the holidays are behind us the projects should start to move full speed ahead. Wooohoooo I for one can not wait to watch this home come alive step by step right before my very eyes. I see some of the guys are already hard at work today, WOW now that is amazing. The DIY teams are awesome and I am sure this house will be nothing short of spectacular! Stay safe and I hope this new year is the best that has yet to come for all of us! God Bless!

Rebecca on January 1, 2013 at 11:01 am
  4. Thought my post didn't post. Sorry for the repost guys. Anyway I just looked at the cam and it looks like they are taking the shingles off the roof and starting on the roof today. Woohoooo!!!!! Get r done!

Rebecca on January 1, 2013 at 11:29 am
    • Rebecca, I haven't been on the blog much through the holidays, I'm still trying to get caught up. I read your post asking about ducks around this property. I just wanted to let you know the outer banks have hundreds of species of birds. Waterfowl is so plentiful, there is an OBX town called Duck, NC. I know we've blogged about the feral mustangs of Corolla, and Shackleford banks, which is amazing to see, but really the birds are also. When you have the time try to watch this video, it focuses on the natural world of the Cape Lookout National Seashore, which lies close to Atlantic, NC. It starts out slow, but I find this video relaxing. Anyone who loves the idea of an unspoiled beach, or Ribbon of Sand, where wildlife is left alone to thrive might enjoy this link

Mel on January 1, 2013 at 11:59 am
    • That was special, Mel! Thanks. There is something so serene about being by the water and nature. Someone is going to be so blessed with this place! I think about the beautiful Waldoboro, ME, BC, that has been just sitting, virtually alone and unappreciated all winter. According to Camac, who lives just up the road, she's seen no activity there. If it weren't so expensive, I can think of at least 2 bloggies who would have jumped at the chance to own it. How sad! I hope the winner of the Atlantic Beach BC will be able to keep and enjoy her for years to come I'm certain that DIY will pull through a remarkable transformation from ugly duckling now~swan in July/August! Can hardly wait!!!B):pxD<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm
    • Kitty I'm glad you liked the video. It is sad about the Maine home sitting empty. I guess the winning family couldn't work out keeping the place.

The 2013 BC is in a Fan-tastic location. Even though I'm a mountain girl at heart, I can admit that as I've traveled east in NC and reached our flat coastal lands, and begun to see sand along the roadway, and passed acres, and acres of rural farmland, and witnessed hundreds of gulls flying overhead, then periodically landing, and taking flight again from recently harvested fields, I've known soon I'd be standing on a sandy beach, and gazing out at the beautiful serentiy of one of God's perfect creations. The ocean has always made me think of eternity and spiritual things. I wish every blogger could see the beautiful outer banks, and feel the way it can rejuvenate your soul. Yes, this home in the end will be a great prize. I'm so ready for the People's Choice voting to start this Thursday Jan 3rd—-a time when the blogging community really pops!

Mel on January 1, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    • I so agree with you, Mel. The ocean is mesmerizing to me. It has great, awesome power to destroy–and yet such beauty to delight. My Grandmother used to watch the sun on the ocean's horizon, making what she called, "millions of diamonds across the waters…" I always thought that observation so appropriate. Those diamonds would waft from horizon's line all the way inland to a rolling trickle at landside, whether rocky or sandy–but always so indescribably beautiful. Where had that water traveled? what shores had it touched? What other nations were now, somehow, linked to "my" land? Couldn't the vast oceans be bearers of peace? Certainly, in the Divine World of Creation and Creator, yes. In this world run by humans, well, the jury is still out….But the diamonds by the shore still remain a vision of beauty and of peace that could be. One can only hope and pray! Happy New Year! ^_^<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 1, 2013 at 5:16 pm
    • How beautiful and wise every word you wrote! I loved reading this Kitty. :)

That is something I loved about your blogging during the Maine project, you knew how to take the blog on the journey to an area you loved so much, by written word, and get us to feel the same appreciation for Maine that you do.
      I will think of your Grandmother's description, "millions of diamonds across the water" for a very long time…

Mel on January 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    • Very nice Mel! I just think this would be the most amazing place to live. I love looking at the ocean and just the natural beauty of the land. What a nice place to just relax and leave all your troubles behind you….at least for the moment. This looks as if it is soooo peaceful and lord knows I need a little in my life as I am sure many of you do as well. Sometimes life is so hard but then you see a place like this and it makes life worth living.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 1:24 am
  5. this is going to be great!

minitoni on January 1, 2013 at 11:55 am
    • Hi Minitoni! Great to see you back on the DIY Blog again! Happy New Year! ;) <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 1, 2013 at 3:36 pm
  6. Here are some New Year BC dreaming ideas. http://www.coastalliving.com/homes/decorating/bea

grammagail on January 1, 2013 at 1:31 pm
    • I enjoyed that, Grammagail! Especially the cottages done in blue and white, as primary colors…xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 1, 2013 at 11:57 pm
    • Thanks grammagail, I noticed there was no green exterior paint on these cottages. So I hope we don't have green as one of the color choices for this BC.

vicki_in_Utah on January 2, 2013 at 10:07 am
  7. I know it's going to look truly amazing!

Mayra on January 1, 2013 at 2:08 pm
  8. The heart of pine is beautiful and I hope they incorporate those into the design.

Cindy on January 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm
  9. Hi All, been awhile. I am back up in my old stomping grounds , This build looks interesting. I will try to stop in more often. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year. BNB

BNB on January 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm
  10. Just looked at the Cottage, the poor thing looks so bad, stripped of everything…I would think they would cover the roof to keep the inside as dry as possible..Rain for the next 2 or 3 days, weatherman said..not a good time for rain without a roof…What wood is staying should be protected, I would think…Just my thoughts!

Jennie/Florida on January 1, 2013 at 3:56 pm