Dec 21

Something Old Attached to Something New

Blog Cabin 2013 original first floor

Wondering where the original first floor ends and additions begin? Project manager Dylan Eastman doctored photos to show you just that. And don’t worry: We’ve got plans for that battered dock!

• Posted at 12:00 pm on December 12, 2012

1. Will you put up a new layout, floor design of what the new home will look like?

Rebecca on December 29, 2012 at 6:59 pm
  2. Is there any ducks anywhere around the property? I think if I owned that property I would put some ducks on the property. My son blessed me with my first grand child this past July. I could really see myself walking down to the water with her as she grows up feeding the ducks and telling stories as my granny did when we walked around her old home. I have said before this home reminds me of my late grannys home with exception that this home has in-door plumbing and wasn't on a big beach front lot. She would walk with me outside and garden her flowers and tell me stories. What a dream huh? lol Who ever gets this home will be truly blessed. It is an amazing site.

Rebecca on December 29, 2012 at 8:04 pm
    • Congratulations on your first grandchild ! There is no gift like that. I have memories of being out with my grandmother in her garden, too. She taught me names of so many flowers.

LLColeman on December 30, 2012 at 3:13 am
    • Yeah my Granny was the best. She always had a way of making things better. The memories that I think of most are of her. She passed when I was 18. I still miss her so much. She lived in a real old house like this one. That is why I love this house so much because it was like the one she lived in when I was young. Thanks for the congrats on my granddaughter.

Rebecca on January 4, 2013 at 1:39 am
  3. Hopefully we will get an update on the floor plans, since they must be done by now. Would also be nice to have some comments from the Project Manager on the issue of the foundation design and functionality. What about storm surge, how will that be protected against? Ah, the fireplace or gas log stove issue, any hints about the plans? Thanks for doing a great job and excuse us for being anxious to see more information. It is okay to tell is still under review or not finished yet, just some news would be nice. Happy and safe New Years celebration. Wishes for a happy and prosperous 2013 to all.

YankeeNuke on December 29, 2012 at 11:30 pm
    • As person just making it through sandy, I'm concerned about storm surges and high tides. They need to raise it up to proctect the house!!! And really, no gas logs in a house like this!!

Sylvia on December 29, 2012 at 11:35 pm
    • They have raised it as much as they will. The question is whether or not they designed the foundation to blow out without sacrificing the structure of the house if a storm surge hits it. I would guess that the berm and swale on the ocean side and the landscaping around the house and the raised foundation are designed to protect the house from surge. They will do what they feel works best for the budget and how they re-design the floor plan. We made many suggestions to them about the Maine house (Blog Cabin 2012) as far as fireplaces go and the response was on gas log stove.

YankeeNuke on December 30, 2012 at 12:29 am
    • The previous owner's step daughter Alicia wrote that one storm took out a garage they had, but this house has at least survived since late 1800's. I can well imagine Sylvia's concern after going through the disaster Hurricane Sandy wreaked on the homes that were of same vintage.

LLColeman on December 30, 2012 at 3:18 am
    • Many of us have ridden out storms and hurricanes and have some understanding of the havoc that can be dealt out. It is difficult to evaluate why a structure was lost or was spared without more information. Anything that is done to get air circulation under the house is good. Additionally, the updated requirements for framing and the use of straps would make the cabin much more viable than it was.Debris is a difficult problem, because much of the debris is generated by the storm. The only thing that one can do is make sure that all trees are sound, that fallen limbs are gathered and cut up or disposed of, all miscellaneous ornaments and furniture are properly stored.________________________________> From: notifications@intensedebatemail.com > To: frankrh77@live.com > Subject: LLColeman replied to your comment on Something Old Attached to > Something New >

YankeeNuke on January 2, 2013 at 12:41 am
    • Sylvia, I am sorry to know you lived in an area affected by Sandy..I still can't get my mind around the destruction I saw in photos. I used to go to the Jersey shore as a girl in the 1950's.

LLColeman on December 30, 2012 at 3:21 am
    • Frank, I hope all will be well for you and yours in 2013.

LLColeman on December 30, 2012 at 3:18 am
    • Thank you LL!________________________________> From: notifications@intensedebatemail.com > To: frankrh77@live.com > Subject: LLColeman replied to your comment on Something Old Attached to > Something New >

YankeeNuke on January 2, 2013 at 12:34 am
    • YankeeNuke, I have so many relatives that live on the NC coast, and I have many years experience of visiting the Outer Banks!
      We can't forget that along with hurricanes and storm surge, there is ever growing evidence of sea rise!
      I don't think we should only look at what this home has survived to predict how it will fare in future storms. Storms are growing stronger, and more frequent…. Are coastal building codes keeping up with changing coastal storm patterns and sea rise?
      Debris in the water does much of the damage during storm surge and flooding, and while those vents will help to reduce water pressure, wouldn't any debris in a storm be more likely to impact or pound against this type of foundation, than it would in an open one?
      I prefer the Dream Home foundation….it seems more storm worthy……..sorry DIY :(

Mel on December 30, 2012 at 10:02 am
    • Mel, I've been reading the series of posts today (Sunday) and yours, especially, have struck a chord with me. As you know, I live next door to your State, in Virginia. Usually, what storms hit North Carolina hit us too, and though my own home is on high ground, I live directly on Virginia's SE Coast, where the Chesapeake Bay is, and Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, and other Greater Hampton Roads Cities all converge. We know Nor'easters and Hurricanes, like you do and I AM wondering about the foundation of the NC BC. Considering the sea is rising, and we haven't had a really BIG one in a while, I guess I'm on my toes a bit more. I've had losses in 2 hurricanes and when I lived in Mississippi, total losses of home and business in major flood back in 1979. Let's just say, experience makes one more proactive. I want whoever wins this BC to enjoy safety and, while I am sure that DIY is following any and all lawful requirements, having raised this charming cabin above the 100 year flood plain, I would have dreamed of a higher marker. I also find the red brick, as it currently stands, too fra fra for a beachside cottage–but then–we've not seen THE PLAN! I'm pulling for the same type of material DIY used on the Maine BC for cladding this structure: I think it was a Hardie Board made from CEMENT and disguised as cedar shingles! While I personally never cared for the color of the Maine house, what I liked about the product IS the fact that the color is already embedded in the shingles and is therefore very convenient and for a beachside house would also be very durable. The NC Beachside colors you have mentioned would be appropriate–and you would know. Hey DIY–It's time to tune in to your Bloggers, so we get things right with no bungling nixed powder rooms and such, this time around! JMHO! :) ;)
      HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL BLOGGIES–AND TO DIY &CONTRACTORS TOO!!! xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm
    • You have been so resilient, Kitty ! All the best in the coming year for your family and miracles for your health , too.
      I truly hope DIY will come up with decent color choices for the James Hardie products. A lot of the Hardie color selections are not something I would even "paint on the side of a barn" (as the saying goes). That includes last year's BC exterior colors…..

LLColeman on December 31, 2012 at 3:39 am
    • I agree on lots of the Hardie current color selection–BLEH! Surely they will have improved upon it by now! Said this dreamer to the moon…;):x:* Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 1, 2013 at 11:33 pm
    • KItty you are so right, the NC coast has quite the history with historical hurricanes, on the east coast we are in second place behind Florida with tropical & subtropical storm hits, add the gulf region, and we take third place, behind Florida and Lousiana. Following location, location, location,…..should be foundation, foundation, foundation !!
      You know this well when you lived through these storms, and you have :)
      The Dream Home got it right, and it's the style of foundation you see all over the Carolina coasts. DIY doesn't have the DH budget I know, but they did go to some expense to lift this home, and make the decision to rebuild it. I don't imagine much of the original structure will be left when they are finished. I believe much of the original home will be used for harvesting what is salvageable and we will see those materials used in DIY projects for the BC shows.
      Happy New Years Day to You, may Good health and blessings abound for you and all our family of passionate BC bloggers!

Mel on January 1, 2013 at 9:25 am
    • Mel, I think that it would of been cheaper for them just to bulldoze it down and start over again, the way they are doing it, you are right not much will be left of the original house. IMO sad to say.

vicki_in_Utah on January 2, 2013 at 10:00 am
    • Bloggers have sent out a pirate search party for you–glad you re-appeared, Mel ! The pirates fell upon an old forgotten rum keg and have forgotten what their task was…I may have to find a new crew to put out to sea and look for our barge captain from New York state…she was having equipment problems, last I heard. Where be ye, ruffybc ?
      May your New Years be merry and full of dubloons and grogg…;) o.0

LLColeman on December 31, 2012 at 3:50 am
    • LOL LLColeman!
      Me barely survived me job as rum taster at our Thanksgiving soiree. :)
      Meself fell into such a long, deep rum soaked slumber on the beach. A full day later me was awakened by shore birds picking crumbs of food from me beard, and making loud piercing calls that could be heard over the sound of the ocean waves. Me jumped up with a frightful start, knowing they was calling their families to come & peck all me meat from me bones too!!
      Not a pretty sight me was! But thankfully me priate snarl and beady glare was back before the sun had risen to the point of midday in the sky!! Avast, I hope you be faring well and our barge captain Ruffy too.
      Happy New Year to all us pirates! X'pecting to have a fantastic voyage indeed as we continue on this years Blog Cabin journey.

Mel on January 1, 2013 at 10:15 am
    • Me taketh the dubloons fer ye 3! Mateys Mel, LL and her parrot, and Ruffy, should she be located on a sand bar with the party barge along the NC coast, can celebrate the great moment with all ye grogg ye can drinketh.:p:p:p, since me mid parts be indisposed to such humors today, being the year of our Lord, the firft day of the year twenty thousand thirteenth and hither night bepast wast filled with more champagne than meself could drinketh–or was it me drinketh more nightlife than me champagne knoweth?:*:pB) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 1, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    • Ahoy Kitty, ye made me mid parts jiggle and sway from swells of laughter.:)

I read ye post aloud, and tied me tongue into a knot.
      Clever ye are lassie, and with me spyglass I will be lookin' fer Ruffy, and her barge wedged along the shore. Me pirate's code is no bucko should be unaccounted fer, or left behind when the time comes to pilage & plunder!
      Heave ho, me sure enjoys our motley blog cabin crew.

Mel on January 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm
    • I be well-well sort of:):( Flu, cold, maybe got me some bad rum? I am on the mend:)
      I can't get on Intense Debate:( so I have to check through blogs to see respones-don't have that kind of time.
      Did see the new FP today and choices I made a comment (of course!)
      But I think we are on better footing with these matties! this year! Are you still checking out the rum supply? I may have gotten one you did not check-arrrgh! yuck!
      My barge has been in dry dock but we are getting ready to head towards NC for celebrations:) and activity-pirate activity:0 did you see the light tower at the top of the new house? I hope you can get access to it? I have me spy glass ready:)
      Happy New Year-hope all is well?
      Love & best wishes me mattie!
      Ruffy<3

ruffybc on January 3, 2013 at 11:45 am
    • I believe that overall the storms are not getting continually worse or more frequent. There seems to be more attention given to storms than in the past and we have certainly had a few bad ones recently. I don't believe that there is much that can be done to fight against ocean rise, except move to higher ground. The vents are there to allow air to circulate and minimize the build up of moisture under the house. This will keep it cooler and will reduce the potential for rot and mold growth. One would hope that the DIY design team and builder have enough experience to judge what needs to be done to the foundation/footings under the house. The building codes are being upgraded to provide more protection against wind and rain damage. When the fix the structural issues with the cabin I expect that they will also have to add strapping to bring the frame up to code.________________________________> From: notifications@intensedebatemail.com > To: frankrh77@live.com > Subject: Mel replied to your comment on Something Old Attached to > Something New >

YankeeNuke on January 2, 2013 at 12:34 am
    • YankeeNuke, last summer NC state legislature drew national attention by making it illegal to acknowledge sea level rise. Not our proudest moment! ….but for bloggers from other areas that may have missed the debate, it's House Bill 819. In short " it bans the state from basing coastal policies on the latest scientific predictions of how much the sea level will rise"
      I think knowing this is why I'm concerned about the strigency of our coastal building codes…..
      I have no doubt that DIY isn't doing everything up to code, I just wonder if our "code standards" are where they should be http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenfield/rest_

Mel on January 2, 2013 at 6:56 am
    • That seems like a odd law.

vicki_in_Utah on January 2, 2013 at 10:05 am
  4. DIY Love all the projects you create. You inspire the creativity in all of us.

lovethebeach on December 30, 2012 at 9:54 am
    • I agree! I keep my tv on the DIY channel all the time. Makes me feel like I can do everything myself! lol Who needs a man? lol

Rebecca on January 5, 2013 at 12:09 am
  5. I can't stop looking at the cam even though I know people have a life and of course nothing will be done on Sundays. lol I don't care I can't help but look. :) I hope everyone is going to spend time with their families and have a safe and happy new year!!! God Bless

Rebecca on December 30, 2012 at 10:17 am
    • It was so nice at the BC this morning, no rain, I love to look at the water too, Rebecca.

vicki_in_Utah on December 30, 2012 at 11:30 am
    • You are not alone, Rebecca! We have visited as well. Love the sunsets and the rise and fall of the tides. Keep hoping to catch another ship on the water although it has been pretty windy lately.

grammagail on December 30, 2012 at 11:38 pm
  6. <3<3<3 I love looking at the beach!!!!!!

Rebecca on December 30, 2012 at 10:24 am
  7. All the windows have been removed from the top level…. I assume this means they're getting ready to raise the 2nd floor?

Mimitheminer on December 30, 2012 at 6:48 pm
  8. Beautiful pics, but intrigued by the termite damage. Just how do you ensure that all termites are eradicated from the stucture elements that are saved?

jlthomps on December 30, 2012 at 6:57 pm
    • Treated pine or cedar.

Clive on December 30, 2012 at 7:21 pm
  9. Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year !:)<3

bythebaydreamer on December 31, 2012 at 1:19 am
    • Happy New Year to you also, bythebay ! xD

LLColeman on December 31, 2012 at 3:35 am
  10. BC Bloggies, the best to you all in the coming year ! What a special group of folks on this blog community. <3
    <3 <3

LLColeman on December 31, 2012 at 4:17 am
    • Yes indeed, I think we have the best bloggers in the world!! Happy New Year and can't wait to keep on blogging and watching this wonderful master piece come together here in my home state!! You know I am praying for a win! P.S. I still want a blogger to win, wouldn't that just be the icing on the cake? Wooohooo!!

Bea on December 31, 2012 at 5:50 am
    • I agree LL and Bea.

vicki_in_Utah on December 31, 2012 at 10:48 am
    • I agree LL, I joined the Blog Cabin Bloggers at the end of the first BC in Tenn. 2007…and got so hooked! Each year after that, it just got better, so many Nice people each year. But the last BC and this BC has been very special. The bloggers have become family. I have never met so many kind people with great wit, wisdom, personality, has compassion, very talented and is very considerate of one another…Very Special Blogging Family.
      I too, hope one of My Blogging Buddies win this soon to be "Heavenly" Beach Cottage on the banks of North Carolina!!!
      Can't wait to see the F/Ps and start voting…"Lets get this show on the road Mary"…Is Everybody Ready???

Jennie/Florida on December 31, 2012 at 11:51 am