Dec 21

Something Old Attached to Something New

Blog Cabin 2013 original first floor

Wondering where the original first floor ends and additions begin? Project manager Dylan Eastman doctored photos to show you just that. And don’t worry: We’ve got plans for that battered dock!

• Posted at 12:00 pm on December 12, 2012

1. So to me it looks like they are not going to put the add on's back on the cabin. That makes the cabin pretty small. Maybe only the kitchen, dining and living, powder rooms on the first floor, and bedrooms and hopefully a bathroom up stairs. I sure hope we get floor plans soon.

vicki_in_Utah on December 28, 2012 at 4:53 pm
    • I know- too small for most.

Nebraska on December 31, 2012 at 4:29 pm
  2. Yeah the Camera Cam is up and running again!!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 28, 2012 at 5:35 pm
    • Thanks Jennie

vicki_in_Utah on December 28, 2012 at 7:43 pm
  3. Would love to see a fireplace that serves more than one room… maybe indoor/ outdoor??

heather on December 28, 2012 at 6:48 pm
  4. Just the sight alone makes you wish you lived there…

TimmAFO on December 28, 2012 at 11:10 pm
  5. This will be a new one if they actually fix the dock….wooo hooo….

LLColeman on December 29, 2012 at 6:00 am
  6. Hello grammagail, where are you? Are you snowed in? The Cam is back but spotted with raindrops. Not a good day at the Cottage..lot of puddles!!! I was wandering if you saw the little Wicker shelving piece sitting out in the rainy weather..It's at the right of the Cottage on the corner! I think that is cute and could be used out on the screened porch…I have a few pieces of real antique wicker and that piece looks well made and in good condition. I wonder what those guys thought process was when they put those items out in the weather..I know someone could use that piece of furniture and the lamp also. I can't understand why they are being so wasteful. Have a good day and stay warm! We're getting storms today and turns cooler tonight…Middle 40's.

Jennie/Florida on December 29, 2012 at 11:59 am
    • Yes, we have about six inches of the white stuff. We wouldn't call it "snowed in", though. Got another 1-2" coming in tonight (we call that a dusting).
      I saw the wicker but not being there can't tell if it was broken. I think they saved a bunch. Notice how the cam went to panorama just as the trash truck was loading that pile? If you go to the pictures of the original cottage you will find all those items where they lived indoors. The bow back windsors were at the kitchen table and the yellow lamps upstairs in bedroom. I think that wicker was upstairs as well. Remember they also have to consider the mold factor when making these decisions.
      If they let us post a picture I could show you my greenhouse, snow and all. I picked spinach for a delicious quiche Christmas Eve and breakfast Christmas morning.

grammagail on December 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm
  7. Glad it's raised a bit. But I was hoping to see it raised high on pilings, with parking beneath. Most Carolina oceanfront homes only have parking below, due to the frequency of hurricanes and flooding from coastal storms. Raised high, with a great wrap around deck is what i was envisioning. But, she'll be beautiful whatever the case. Can't wait to see the plans!!

ceddinger on December 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm
    • Ceddinger I'm trying to adust to the red brick, a foundation finish you see on the NC coast Farther Inland !! I had the same vision you had. A home built on pilings, providing parking, a common sense use of a created space due to the home needing to be raised and given a new foundation.

While a brick foundation is rare in a Carolina Oceanfront home, I believe if DIY had used a gray brick I could accept it better. A gray brick would of been more casual looking, and IMO more complimentary to the rustic weathered wood look the rebuilt dock will surely patina to.

The red brick for now looks too formal to me, and out of place. The backfill dirt has helped, and maybe with landscaping the red brick will fade away! I'm hoping the home will maintain some of it's original casual, rustic beachy charm, and not end up with a spurious, too formal looking facade for it's location.

Mel on December 30, 2012 at 9:00 am
    • Hi Mel, I have missed your comments! Hope you and your family had a Wonderful Christmas..I'm so glad they raised the Cottage and thought the foundation looked nice, but like you, I think it's too formal for a Beach Cottage. It doesn't look like something that would be at the beach, but now that it's done, I'm wondering if white washing the brick would tone the formal look down..I was surprised they chose red brick…I wonder who made that decision! So how are the cars going to be protected from the storms? I guess the Owner will have to park their cars on hwy 70 behind the beach Cottage, to protect them during Hurricanes…Here's the thing, this Cottage is worth over $500,000 now and when it's completed the value will go up, so you would think they would add a garage automatically to complete the Cottage package…I don't understand why Diy doesn't think that a garage is important . Maybe this New builder will surprise us…I can't remember whose post it was, but they had a web link to the new builder and showed one of this Beach Homes…It was beautiful and expensive and A1 quality..Did you see it?? If not I will find it for you..I think it was one of DeerSprings post…

Jennie/Florida on December 30, 2012 at 10:32 am
    • Thanks Jennie, my father-in-law hit a monumental birthday, and his birthday happens to be on Christmas Day. The family gave him a wonderful party. Too much work needing to be done, and traveling kept me off the blog, but what a surprise to come back and see the foundation has been done!
      I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas too :)

An Outer Banks cabin has a certain look to it, and I was hoping DIY would capture that. I'm not sure what look they are going for? (maybe coastal inland) It's very traditional to put a NC coastal home up on pilings that allows for parking underneath the home. Hurricanes aren't coming 365 days a year, so at least you can use the space the majority of the time. You don't see masonry foundations on our coastal homes unless they are being built away from water….and yes the brick is red….another unauthentic decision…

Mel on December 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm
    • They built this to the highest codes. No parking or storage underneath. If things are there they will destroy the house in a big flood. The wall is much stronger than piles too. :) The new walls were about 6 ft high (from ground level) before they backfilled and graded. That's much higher than the highest recorded flood in this region. An extended deck on wooden piles could still be possible. ^_^ No mention of laws here governing how close to the water the house can be extended. That was a big issue in the 2011 house which was in a very similar location.

Clive on December 30, 2012 at 10:52 am
    • Clive I really hope the home does get a nice big deck on wooden piles, that would help the home to retain a degree of a beachy look, which the home needs to do IMO. :)

I agree DIY is building to coastal code, but the authenticity of a Carolina coastal home to this point in the reno is lacking. There are various opinions regarding coastal foundations. Pilings (open) vs. masonry. In certain wave zones you can't build a masonry foundation at all, and in other wave zones it isn't recommended, but doing so is not going against code. I know the current foundation is much improved for what this home once had !…. I just wish the masonry foundation finish was more traditional to the area.

Mel on December 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm
    • I agree with the raised wall finish. I'm wondering if they could have used a stone veneer or whether Hardiboard would work. The bricks are to protect the cinder blocks from weathering as fast as they would do normally. The bricks were also hollow (had holes in them) which gives them just as much strength as a solid brick but they're lighter so not such a weight on the foundation or cinder blocks. They have made blow through holes (my apologies for some confusion when I described them as 'blow out' holes previously) on the right side, and I'll guess the left side that we can't see, so that flood water can pass under the house without any wave action under the floor. The water pressure is equalized either side of the support walls which much reduces the possibility of damage so long as nothing is stored under the house. That's why it has no doors or large openings.

NC coastal building code allows pilings to raise the house but they're not as strong as the curtain wall system and if any were hit by flying debris and broken there's a real possibility the house would be lost. The walls are a much more secure and stonger foundaion.

Clive on December 30, 2012 at 1:28 pm
    • Clive thanks for further information regarding the foundation, and it's strength, All good points, and nice to know. :)

I do hope the facade includes Hardiboard, a nice low maintenance material that can stand up to the salty sea air.
      Stucco is a popular finish material for a Carolina coastal masonry finish. In part I imagine because it can be applied in a huge array of colors, everything from a very neutral gray, or tan, to the more daring beach colors like salmon or even turquoise. Possibly because it does offer so many color options, it is more common on our beaches. Red brick tends to look formal, a white, or gray brick is more common at our beaches. Red brick is very popular as you move inland, and away from water.

Mel on December 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm
    • I'm very familiar with inland NC but not coast so thanks for the info. on brick versus other styles. Stucco, together with its versatility and wide color palette, is also very cheap compared to other finishes but it requires constant maintenance, especially at the coast. Ultimately it costs a lot more in maintenance than something like Hardiboard.

Just one thing on the cam today. Are they framing something on the ground to the left side of the house. I can't see exactly what it is but it looks like a wooden frame. :)

Clive on December 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm
  8. I can't wait to see results. I already think the inside is charming!

Cindy on December 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm
  9. This cabin is stunning. The transformation is over the top.:*<3xD A job well done, thanks to all your hard work.B)
    OH fyi it's snowing like crazy 4 inches so far:'(
    Enjoy the holiday season everyone.

(Ours has been a nightmare):(:'(:'(:'(:'(

Mary/PA on December 29, 2012 at 2:56 pm
    • I'll join ya, Mary/PA…our holiday has not been going all that well, either….you posted a lot of weeping emoticons ! I have to take a day at a time and remind myself that today I can walk, speak, breathe and see..I can be grateful, because those are major elements of life. Other matters are a challenge right now.
      I hope you won't be snowed in…the moonlight should be pretty tonight sparkling on all that white stuff. ;)

LLColeman on December 30, 2012 at 3:03 am
    • Mary, I'm so sorry to hear that about your holidays. You are so thoughtful to wish all of us well for ours and I thank you! Like LLColeman said, there are others, including herself, who have had to brave some personal challenges this Winter Season. I'm one of those too. I recall some things you went through much earlier this past year and hope with all my heart that that chapter is over. Like LL said, we can look around us and see what we can do, have and appreciate and, I would extend that to say the rest–ah! the rest, we just have to cast those burdens upon the Lord God, because, at least in my case, they are way too big for me to handle. We can help one another on this Blog too. I have so many Bloggies praying specifically for my health (I have malignant pancreatic ca with mets.) We can pray for you too. Let us be your friends…I know I care. And yes, enjoy the beauty part of all that white stuff for me, since I can't. Love, Kitty<3<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm
    • Kitty:

I have followed your blogging for a couple of years now and am amazed by your positive outlook. I am a breast cancer survivor and am aware every day that this could come back if it wants to! My prayer for myself was to live long enough to get our children into adulthood and educated. That has happened and now I pray for the family's health. I pray for you too because you are so good for people! We need you to stick around to add that critical thinking to these blogs. God bless you and yours, Kitty, said with a smile! Love, Bets

Grandma Bets on December 30, 2012 at 11:25 pm
    • Dear Bets,
      I want you to know how deeply your post to me touched my heart! What a reason to rejoice about your victories over breast cancer! My 1st cousin, soul mate and best friend is also a breast cancer survivor, and I know what she went through–and it wasn't easy! God bless you! It's so wonderful that you have been able to see your children grow and thrive! What a Gift! If God wills, that would be my prayer, but for my grandchildren and great granddaughter–and my disabled 42 yr old daughter, for whom my Hubby and I are caregivers. I have been caregiver for a long time, having cared for my mom nearly 20 years and her "little" brother, my uncle, for 2, before they died within less than a year of each other. My greatest concern now is praying that I have not passed the gene chromosome #11 to my daughters. I have a rather rare hereditary disease called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia–Type I (MEN-I), which has produced additional cancers in me and I just pray that neither child has inherited it! I did, from my Dad, though he never knew he had it. So, dear Bets and all thoughtful Bloggies, Please pray for protection of my children? I am SO thankful and Blessed to be part of this Blog and to have made wonderful friends here! Life has truly been an adventure—I am not afraid—my future is sealed and I am at peace. I just don't want to leave a legacy of MEN-I for anyone to carry, especially before science has developed a cure. Love that smile, Bets!!! :D Special New Year's Blessings to You and Yours~ and to ALL BLOGGIE FRIENDS TOO!!! xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 31, 2012 at 4:26 pm
    • Kitty, i cannot find the discussion you were having previously about the Ketogenic diet. It is part of metabolic therapy and was researched at the University of South Florida. I am going to research it more tomorrow. Here is one link : http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/Dec
      and another link :

LLColeman on December 31, 2012 at 5:30 am
    • Dear LL,
      With all you've been going through, you always make time for others–such a generous and gentle sweetheart!!! Thank you for the links about the Ketogenic diet! I'm really looking into it as well as other nutrition elements. I know that my neuroendocrinologist is into the "whole" person and that includes nutrition. In my case diet may get a bit complicated, though, since they may have to take out part of stomach, pancreas, duodenum and liver. How I can eat and other details are still forthcoming. Discussion of surgery is scheduled for next year….Friday. :) Gotta' push through this too, for it shall pass… Meanwhile, the old song, "Smile" seems appropriate!<3<3<3^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 31, 2012 at 4:43 pm
    • Oh Kitty,
      Thanks , and wow thats a big operation,as long as we can try thats all you can do, push forward. Your always positive and thats what counts. We can only wait and see what each day brings and you never know,
      so live each day to the fullest. Bring it on !

Happy New Year Everyone !
      Is Mary on vacation really could use some new pics :)

MaryPA on January 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm
    • Thank you, Mary! Yes! Bring it on–It's a new day, a new year and we will be strong and get through whatever. I hope the New Year brings you new Joys and touches you in ways that renew your hopes and dreams! You have been through a great storm in recent months. It takes time to heal. You won't forget, but it will get easier. And yes! We could really use some pictures and : HOW ABOUT A NEW FLOOR PLAN ALREADY? xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 1, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    • Kitty
      Prayers are with you-God Bless you-He will give you strength. The links LL sent are wonderful I hope you can do something like that.
      Gods speed and love ;) <3<3^_^

ruffybc on January 3, 2013 at 11:39 am
  10. Ok I'm new to this. I'v always entered the dream house sweeps. What is this exactly. Do I enter somehow or is it to late? This sounds really fun but not sure if I'v come in to late.

lorriecolson on December 29, 2012 at 5:10 pm
    • Dream House 2013 is the only sweeps open for entry right now. Probably the Smart Home 2013 (used to be the Green Home) will be next. The Blog Cabin is just started renovations and we haven't had votes on preferences for various interior and exterior items yet.

YankeeNuke on December 29, 2012 at 11:34 pm
    • Hi lorriecolson, I will just add that the sweepstakes and photos of the finished project tend to be announced @ the end of August , with the entries soon after. Once the winner is announced, we soon get an announcement regarding the next year's Blog Cabin. This Blog Cabin is" 2013", because the contest is a late summer early fall event.
      Aren't the Dream Home sweeps exciting ? It is amazing having two giveaway homes in the Carolinas.

LLColeman on December 30, 2012 at 3:09 am