Dec 21

Something Old Attached to Something New

Blog Cabin 2013 original first floor

Wondering where the original first floor ends and additions begin? Project manager Dylan Eastman doctored photos to show you just that. And don’t worry: We’ve got plans for that battered dock!

• Posted at 12:00 pm on December 12, 2012

1. Good Morning to all…I hope Everyone had a Wonderful Christmas…The weather was monstrous all over the US and surely was a surprising event in the Southern and Eastern part of the US. I only hope everyone is OK and wasn't effected and didn't get snowed in…Wow that was something..I know our Mainer Bloggers are really getting the snow and hope you are OK ..I'm sure you're use to that kind of weather..Checked the Cottage early this morning and the sun is shining bright with a beautiful blue sky! The camera lens is foggy when you go far left to see the water, but the lens is clear when you scan the Cabin area…Don't understand that! Anyway someone was there bright and early, probably checking to see if everything was OK after the storms…There were Tornado warnings for the Cabin area for 2 to 3 hrs…Sooo glad everything is OK..What would we have done, if a tornado had gone through there and leveled the Cabin and foundation?? That would be heartbreaking moments for all…Thank God, the Cottage was safe…..Have a good Day You All !!!

Jennie/Florida on December 27, 2012 at 10:53 am
  2. I have really been thinking about what cool way that you intend on reconstructing the poor weather beatin dock. I can only imagine what the DIY dream team will come up with. I can't wait until New Years has come and gone, the holidays behind us and the projects really begin to turn into something amazing right before our eyes!!! HAPPY NEW YEARS GUYS, MAY 2013 BE EVERYTHING YOU WANT IT TO BE!!! PEACE JOY AND LOVE TO ALL!!!

Rebecca on December 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm
  3. I wish there was a cabin cam inside, I would love to see what they are doing inside.

vicki_in_Utah on December 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm
    • Me, too, Vicki!
      Except that would ruin a reveal at the end and I love surprises! Some things have to stay secret so we will watch the shows.

grammagail on December 28, 2012 at 12:36 am
    • The inside cabin cam they had for the 2010 in NY, was great, we watched them demo, and spray the insulation that I had never seen before. But it didn't spoil the reveal, they shut it off before they got to that part. It was the bloggers that spotted a problem, and it was fixed. I think it generated more interest in wanting to watch the shows imo. …

vicki_in_Utah on December 28, 2012 at 10:39 am
    • I agree Vicki, it was so much fun watching the daily activity inside 2010 BC and it didn't spoil the reveal…We did get to see things that we don't usually get to see, like spraying the insulation and installing the cabinets in the kitchen, what little top cabinets that were installed, watching them build the ugly Wart Closet, changing the door location to the garage. The whole process was interesting and so much fun to watch, especially watching the Designers do their craft. They were so funny..I wish DIY would share more with us…What happened to that??? It's such a treat and wouldn't take away from the big reveal!!! We are all so "hooked" on the BC, it would never spoil anything for us….We're dedicated Bloggers and don't want to miss a thing…
      Vicki did you get Snowed in? Crazy weather all over the US during Christmas!! I hope you and your Family had a Wonderful Christmas. Did you get to go to your Cabin? I wish you and your Family a Very Happy New Year!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 28, 2012 at 11:59 am
    • Jennie, yes we got lots of snow, on Christmas eve and day. We had gone out to the cabin on the 23rd to bury one of our granddaughters dog, very sad, and it started to snow, there was already a foot up there, so we hurried and got out as soon as we could and got back just before the big storm.

I remember when the WC was built I think there were over 2000 post about it, if anything it made more interest in the shows LOL

vicki_in_Utah on December 28, 2012 at 1:41 pm
    • Hi Vicki, I am so sorry about your Granddaughter's dog! It's so heartbreaking to lose your pet..I hope she is OK…I know it will take some time to get over the lose..Give her some extra hugs!! I'm glad you got home before the big storm arrived..I could never drive in snow, it was Scary!!
      Vicki, didn't we have fun with the Wart Closet?? That was a fun Blog Cabin project in Bethel, NY…I hope the Family from North Carolina is living there and didn't sell it like all the other winners have done! I guess it would be a life changing decision a winner has to make. I really liked that BC and the land. The Red Barn was special…Nice thoughts remembering!

Jennie/Florida on December 29, 2012 at 10:50 am
    • The Bethel house was sold early in the following year that it was won. The only Blog Cabin that appears to be in ownership of the winner is the 2011 Matthews House.

Clive on December 29, 2012 at 11:03 am
    • Thanks Clive, sad to know these beautiful places are not kept by the winners, but as I said it would be a life changing decision one would have to make and everyone who enters these sweepstakes have their on reason for entering, whether it's for the home itself or be able to sell it for the money…Big decision either way.

Jennie/Florida on December 29, 2012 at 11:22 am
    • Couldn't agree more. Even if I could enter and had the resources to keep the house I probably wouldn't because of all the other factors involved in such an unplanned upheaval in our household. However, that shouldn't interfere with the fun of the projects and being happy for the winners whatever they decide to do with these houses. Winning is such a small part of the process and not the reason the houses are built.

Clive on December 29, 2012 at 12:29 pm
    • So true Clive, Love the whole process from start to finish. We get to meet great people all over the US…I love the excitement of the build or the Reno and being part of the end results and I'm so happy for the winner! The whole package is
      so much fun!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm
    • Vicki
      I 2nd, 3rd and 4th that!
      We need an inside cam too. I want to see as much as possible and in the other cabin with the the inside cam it did not ruin the reveal. I am still having difficulty with the outdoor cam:( I am not seeing all the detail you guys see. I have clicked and dragged everything, turn on and off pop ups and turn on and off everything!!:( I keep trying and looking:)

ruffybc on January 2, 2013 at 10:54 am
    • Ruffybc if they tear anymore down, we wont need a inside cam LOL..If you zoom in a little at a time, and adjust it up or down or sideways you can see a lot more. There seems to be more activity in the mornings.

vicki_in_Utah on January 2, 2013 at 10:57 am
    • Now…… grammagail!! Please tell me "one" thing that would ruin the reveal for you and would stop you from watching the Blog Cabin series..lol your so funny!!! I can tell, you are totally hooked, just like we all are and nothing can spoil this Great Adventure!!! I'm sure there will be a lot of surprises in store during the next 4 or 5 months for all of us Bloggers! Yes, We All love Surprises!!! We had surprises last Blog Cabin and some were "not so good"…Some things need to be discussed so we can give feed back, but that didn't happen..I think it's best that we're kept abreast of what is going on so we have a chance to give our views…In the end we will have a Beautiful Beach Cottage and the Bloggers will be a big part of it…I just hope there won't be surprises that will disappoint us!!! Just my thoughts!!

Jennie/Florida on December 28, 2012 at 12:46 pm
    • Hi Jennie,
      I didn't discover BC until 2011. I didn't blog then. Just watched and voted.
      There is much merit for the bloggers to have the chance to input ideas that may not have been thought of by DIY. You can see I am shy (LOL) and have not chimed in much (yeah, right!). If they shut the cam off before the reveal then that might have worked. I love this cottage and it is in a great location for us. Guess I'll watch this one all the way. Didn't keep track of the Maine one and from the comments it probably good that I didn't. Didn't want a property so close to home.

grammagail on December 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm
  4. Does anyone know when the 2013 Blog Cabin sweeps starts? Good luck to everyone!

midtoner on December 27, 2012 at 7:24 pm
    • Not until late summer as usual. This year it was my birthday- 8/13 – little help that was with me winning….

Nebraska on December 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm
    • You WILL win this year! I love the "coincidence" of your birthday being my birthday too! Aug 13. Now if you were born in 1974 that would really top it. Good luck and I know your house is coming!

midtoner on December 28, 2012 at 1:22 pm
  5. Now that the house is on it's new foundation the real renovations can begin. Has anyone found where the revised floor plans are hiding? I guess that if they post pictures of all sides of the house we will be able to see any portions of the foundation that don't have original house on them, indication possible places where the replacement additions will be located. 3-0 doors as much as possible, no toilets "hidden in closets", straight staircases of good width. In other words make it suitable for a partially to fully disabled person. Thank you.

YankeeNuke on December 27, 2012 at 11:08 pm
  6. Belated Happy Holidays to all bloggies–I did not have internet service for the past week, but hope all of you had a good day on Christmas…and Kwaanza wishes to anyone following that celebration, too. Never too late to lift me tankard of holiday Grogg for all the bloggie buccaneers and barge captains…aaarrrgghh, maties ! o.0
    <3 <3 <3

LLColeman on December 28, 2012 at 6:00 am
    • Good Morning LL, I was wondering what happened to you, we missed you!!! I hope you had a Wonderful Christmas! Did you have bad weather in your area during Christmas? Crazy weather all over the US!!
      Our Cottage has a new foundation! What do you think of it? I think they did a great job, just can't wait to see the Floor plans…it won't be long now, another week maybe before the plans are revealed and we get to see updated photos…Can't wait to see what we will be voting on this time, I hope it will be major things instead of just towels and kitchen utensils!!! Glad you're back, it must have been terrible not knowing what was going on at the Beach Cottage…Oh yes, we found out that the furniture and collectibles were not removed from the Cottage before raising the Cottage…Don't understand why they would take a chance of breaking or damaging all those Antiques during the process…Go figure!!!! Have a good day!

Jennie/Florida on December 28, 2012 at 9:58 am
    • Jennie–I missed all bloggie friends too, but I know many are away on trips or are super busy right now too. We had wind s and rain but were able to drive ok and jump puddles ! It has been clearing up somewhat since then.
      I know Captain Eastman has shored up our beauty with a proper foundation, although it is different from the Mathews house, being farther from the water than the VA farm house was.

LLColeman on December 29, 2012 at 5:54 am
    • LL, Hear, Hear! Happiest of Holidays to you too! Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on December 28, 2012 at 3:41 pm
    • Thank you, Becky ! Are you still 'By the Bay', LOL ? I guess we could drive down to the bay where we are, within 8 minutes…to part of San Francisco Bay.

LLColeman on December 29, 2012 at 5:56 am
    • LL, Actually live inland. I get to see the bay a few times a year. I am always there in my dreams. I would love to have the opportunity to be closer to the ocean. It must be great to be so close to the San Francisco Bay. I have never been to California or the West coast. I heard it is amazing. Maybe next years dream home will be there.:)<3

bythebaydreamer on December 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm
    • Happy Holidays to you, too, LL! I was wondering where you were. Sorry to hear you lost internet service. Besides the fact that it would cost me a small fortune to have the line run from the main road to the house, I like wireless in the event the power goes out. Since I'm only allowed 5G with this plan, I can't leave it connected which is a small hassel, but it's plenty for me.

Anyway, let's lift our tankard, glass or whatever vessel happens to be handy, to the great adventure that is ahead of us with this wonderful cabin. Cheers!xD

Dghawk4 on December 28, 2012 at 8:52 pm
    • Arrrggghhh–so nice to have you back on the blog this year….did not hear from you so often when we were remodeling in Maine, LOL. <3

LLColeman on December 29, 2012 at 5:58 am
    • Thanks! :-) LLColeman for the belated wishes, I hope your Christmas was filled with wonder! and Joy! It's nice to have you back. Looks like they have gutted out just about everything and are going to start once the rain stops.

Heading South on December 29, 2012 at 9:56 am
    • Thank you, Heading South, you wrote a lovely Christmas greeting to all of us.

LLColeman on December 30, 2012 at 2:54 am
    • LL
      Happy New Year to you and hope you had a delightful Christmas:) Best wishes to you and your family in the new year!

ruffybc on January 2, 2013 at 10:58 am
    • AHA!!! There you are, Ruffy! We missed you! I haven't seen you post since last year and that's just too long! Hope that you had a wonderful, blessed Christmas and may your 2013 be filled with new hopes and dreams, happiness health and every good and perfect gift from Above!<3:*<3 Kitty
      We Pirates thought you got …yerselft hung up with our party barge on the sand an' were livin' off our grogg an hidin' our dubloons, Lassy! Mel and LL and Jennie were 'bout to go on a veritable search fer ye and ye hide, while we thunk it to have been part o' our ship, matey; NOW, ye were in deep hind barnicles o' trouble!!! Here we be awaitin' yer, the dubloons and the grogg and ye maftering them and the barge… but ye lets the barge mafter the sand? Sech sloppy a glogg transport I know none other.. fer here we dyee o' thirft un can't eat pieces o'eight! Rufy, Ruffy! Wha'cha gonna do o'yer fer sure??? Joyful to see yer–o' string yo' fingers each wif fircracker from Chine an watch you pop like yon spin wheel? What say ye fer yer defences? :*o.0 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm
    • Hi Kitty and Jen
      I was in dry dock-arrrgh! Me barnicles got the best of me! Off the grog for sure!:(
      I got a flu shot Dec 1st , got the flu Dec 3rd:(:( then it I thought I was ship shape and got hit broadside again with a nasty cold-that put scurvey to shame-excuse the (sp):( then had a Drs appt and got shecked out-she gave the really good cough medicine-not rum-better!:) but I am still coughing and not feeling totally ready for sea:( but improving:)
      I think this new voting and the floor plans will bring me into port! Did you see the lookout tower pirates? If we cannot observe sea activity we can turn it into a lighthouse! To tell all of a safe port!, me matties! I think I may need some rum now? where is LL is she still checking out the kegs? This will be fun-I think they are starting far better than last year:)

ruffybc on January 3, 2013 at 11:35 am
    • There you are Ruffy, so glad your Computer is up and running again…I hope you had a great Christmas and wish you and your Family a Happy, Happy New Year…Missed you!!

Jennie/Florida on January 2, 2013 at 7:40 pm
  7. I tried the cabin cam. I only get the panoramic view button. I wrote to the camera folks via the yellow icon in the upper right corner. I asked them to let the bloggers know if they did this on purpose. Anyone have any thoughts. Have they disabled the zoom feature once they start working, in the past? Is the panoramic view live?

joanlife on December 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm
    • It has been on panorama for about two and a half hours now and I figure they did it on purpose. Surprises being guarded or workmen tired of being watched. It will be fun to see what has changed when it comes back on! hope it is back up for sunset. I have some gorgeous shots of evening sky!

grammagail on December 28, 2012 at 12:56 pm
  8. Hi Bloggers, I don't know if anyone else reported the Webcam problem this morning, but I did and Mr.Tim Doyle responded…His email as follows "I will be out of the office until January 2, 2013 please call my cell if you need to reach me right away 865-755-3815 or I will respond as soon as I can. Thanks"
    So, I'm not going to bother Mr. Doyle, maybe the Cam will correct itself or if any of you want to call him, you have his cell #… maybe you bloggers are right, maybe they have stopped the Cam on purpose..Who knows???

Jennie/Florida on December 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm
  9. I tell you, if I had this home I would definately live in it all year round not just use it as a vacation home. Finally something I would own out right! I think the land alone would make you feel like you are on vacation every day! I look at this everyday and just love it's natural beauty. The water, the old beaten weathered dock. It is beautiful and hasn't even had anything done yet! WOW

Rebecca on December 28, 2012 at 3:12 pm
  10. Yeah the cam is now stuck on panorama view. That sucks! :( .

Rebecca on December 28, 2012 at 3:19 pm