Dec 21

Something Old Attached to Something New

Blog Cabin 2013 original first floor

Wondering where the original first floor ends and additions begin? Project manager Dylan Eastman doctored photos to show you just that. And don’t worry: We’ve got plans for that battered dock!

• Posted at 12:00 pm on December 12, 2012

1. Looking forward on seeing what DIY is going to do about the rotted wood/termite damage.YOU(DIY) always dose a great job keeping most of the vintage items found and reuse of them elsewere in the remodel.Please keep-up the good work.

Pat Aronson on December 25, 2012 at 11:39 pm
  2. Hope everyone had a marvelous Christmas! I just "cruised" through the up and coming Blog Cabin to see these wonderful threads and comments and Wa-La !! I got the ole- yippee it's time to go a blog'in Y'all !
    To see the great old cabin brought fields of cherished memories from every tiny shingle and off the cuff studs I feel the sense of urgency to add on rooms and build out like this family did through the years. I can understand why you would want to keep as much as possible of it's original beauty and awesome personality! I am at awe at the marvelous treasures inside the home! The character is…oh my gosh there are no words for this home but treasured it was and still is!

I am honored to be able to share with the family the hand holding termites and the rotten chimney to the very completion of this beautiful old home to many. Thank you for choosing this home-my heart is actually in this home. I feel a special closeness to every old room, attached or now detached. No matter what the plans are-this home feels like home. I really care about every item you move from it or add to it. Thanks so much-from the heart.

SouthernBorn57 on December 26, 2012 at 1:54 am
  3. I hope everyone had a wonderful day yesterday. And may the love and laughter spill over to the coming days and new year.

Just checked out the cam. Looks pretty yucky. Just like here, but about 20 degrees warmer.

Dghawk4 on December 26, 2012 at 9:40 am
  4. Shells are being destroyed! Some are smashed and more stuff piled on them. I think our pleas have fallen on deaf ears unless they have been through them and chosen the best ones.
    Sure is a wet day down there and there are tornado warnings. Be safe there in NC.

grammagail on December 26, 2012 at 9:54 am
  5. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I see it is very cold and wet which means no construction. At least it gives the guys another day with their family. I also see the foundation has been completed! Looking good guys!

Rebecca on December 26, 2012 at 11:20 am
  6. I understand you should ask a builder for a portfolio of their work when deciding on a company to
    do a project. Here's a sample of an Andrew Roby Construction project on a new build at Atlantic
    Beach, NC (south of Atlantic, NC). : )

DeerSpring on December 26, 2012 at 4:09 pm
    • WOW…Nice Beach House.. DeerSpring! You would have to be a Millionaire to live there.. Mr. Roby sure has style and good taste…and the workmanship is A-1 plus..Can only dream of living in a "Beach" house like that! I will take the little Cozy Cottage, it's more my style and more affordable…Maybe? When Mr Roby is finished with the Cottage, we probably won't recognize it, but I'm sure it will have good Bones and will be ready for another 100 years!!! Now I really can't wait to see how they are going to style this Cottage.
      Come on January! Thank you for the great website..

Jennie/Florida on December 26, 2012 at 4:58 pm
    • It's nice to see the craftmanship involved in this project. Like you, I'm very attached to the BC.
      I like its history, location, and lot size. I know it will be wonderful when the renovation is
      complete after seeing what Andrew Roby Construction did with this beach home. : )

DeerSpring on December 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm
    • DeerSpring, thanks for the photo. I love the lines and especially the colors, it gives a clean look. Its apparent that their work results in high end quality. This cottage is going to be amazing!!

Heading South on December 27, 2012 at 9:40 am
    • I agree. The quality and attention to detail on the inside is evident in the photos. I'm really
      looking forward to seeing what happens with the cottage in the next several months.

DeerSpring on December 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm
    • Thanks for the link DeerSping :)
      You're a fan of Houzz. too….haha that is a favorite website of mine.

What I like about this home is it's built in the traditional style of a coastal home. No red brick—-sorry, I couldn't help myself. Mix of facade materials and it's interior is gorgeous,……yep, the BC builder knows his stuff!

Mel on December 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm
    • It's good to hear from you, Mel! I'm a new fan of Houzz. I found the site looking at houses
      designed by Christopher Rose (Kiawah DH) and have been returning since then on a
      regular basis. I hope the BC will continue to have a traditionally styled exterior. When I
      saw the Atlantic Beach home, I felt that this could be a strong possibility. Can you tell
      me about the brick situation? I may have missed this discussion. : )

DeerSpring on December 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm
    • DeerSpring, I did some complaining over the use of red brick, which indicates to me DIY will be taking the look of this reno from it's original look of rustic beachy, to the look of an inland coastal home, that resides away from the water, with a formal look. The style of foundation they gave the home, along with the red brick indicates this to me.

The home you posted the link of, with it's stucco finish over the masonry foundation is very popular. The Kiawah DH with it's PVC cladding hiding it's piling foundation is very popular. Those are authentic Carolina coastal looking foundation systems. Plus both foundation types provide parking! That's Carolina coastal too. I wanted the BC home to retain it's Carolina coast authenticity….. but with the red brick it's not off to the best start…..

Mel on January 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    • Mel, I googled the real estate satellite pictures of homes on the same road as the
      BC to get a feel for the area yesterday. Thanks for filling me in. I appreciate
      your info and insight on coastal home building.

DeerSpring on January 2, 2013 at 9:35 am
    • Beautiful beach house, but the blog cabin may not have the same budget. I hope for a nice cozy cottage with lots of light and views to the water, similar to what they did in the Va. blog cabin. With a fully restored/functional dock and modern conveniences to make it last another 100 years.

Windsmurf on December 31, 2012 at 11:58 am
    • I agree with your vision for the BC 100%, Windsmurf.

DeerSpring on December 31, 2012 at 12:29 pm
    • Thanks for the link DeerSpring
      Obviously they are very skilled builders. The home shown looked more like the HGTV Dream Home-I hope they adapt their skills to this humble home and can apply their magic. I absolutely love the home shown, the colors the styles of wood, the arch. details are all lovely. I hope they will be able to do wonders with this home, yet still keep the history and charm of this beach cabin. We shall see?

ruffybc on January 2, 2013 at 10:43 am
    • "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." I hope to see all that craftmanship on scale with
      the cottage's history. I am really looking forward to seeing the floor plans, too.

DeerSpring on January 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm
  7. It looks like a lot of planning is going on with this project.. I can't wait to see the vision. I can only hope.. like everyone else that fate has us in a home for 2013.

maxi92 on December 26, 2012 at 4:21 pm
  8. What is it about this place that touches your heart? It's going to be so exciting taking this journey with y'all.

Mamie on December 26, 2012 at 7:21 pm
    • Marnie, There are so many things about this blog cabin that touch my heart. I love the fact that it has history, and we are fortunate enough to know about some of it. I also love that it is in NC on the ocean. And third, but not last, I love that it is comfortable and quaint. What a perfect place to start making new memories. Can't wait! What about it touches your heart?Becky :) <3

bythebaydreamer on December 27, 2012 at 2:57 am
  9. very nice keep it up, it's going to be a great project

ffdlm1 on December 26, 2012 at 9:41 pm
  10. Yard sale at the cabin! I wish! They are cloeaning out the interior and I see lots of things I would like to buy. Have they ever thought of having an antique dealer buy the lot? Might give them more money in the budget! I'll take those chairs in the back, the pair of yellow lamps, the wicker furniture. get my wallet please!!! LOL

grammagail on December 27, 2012 at 10:26 am
    • Hi grammagail, I can't believe the Crew is treating those items they are taking out of the Cottage as trash…I am so surprised they didn't pack up everything prior to gutting the Cottage!!! What is up with that???? DIY purchased everything inside when they bought the Cottage and told the Owners they could have what was not used by DIY in the Reno…I can't believe they would sit that furniture out in the yard as trash…I would be very upset if I were the past Owner and saw that My things were being treated as trash…I'm totally shocked they are doing this!!! What Are They Thinking?????

Jennie/Florida on December 27, 2012 at 11:25 am
    • Jennie,
      The owners took what they valued and the rest left to fate. The thing that bothers me is there are serviceable items that could be used by others. If they don't want the money from an antique dealer then they could donate to Salvation Army or Goodwill or even a local thrift shop. I know these things are not up to the high standards they hold for the finished cabin and will not fit the finished reno but at least try to make someone else's life easier.

grammagail on December 27, 2012 at 11:38 am
    • Double yikes!! As a retired antiques dealer, I see Windsor bow back chairs w hich are worth at least 200.00 each or more depending on age. I also see part of the fireplace surround wich also sell for 150.00and up. Someone get them out of the weather and preserve them, PLEASE. Pat Green

Pat Green on December 27, 2012 at 12:42 pm
    • Could not agree more, Jennie. That fireplace mantel is the original living room one built by a previous owner long ago. . It must be preserved! Pat Green

Pat Green on December 27, 2012 at 1:08 pm
    • I guess I really "trashed" that statement, didn't I???? I should proof read before sending reply!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 27, 2012 at 6:55 pm
    • I wouldn't get too worried. I'll bet what's been discarded is all repro junk. Victoria and others in the DIY crew know exactly the value of items and whether they're antiques. Fear not, all wil be well with the truly valuable pieces. Believe!! ^_^

Clive on December 27, 2012 at 12:48 pm
    • Clive, did they say that Victoria was in on this one? I hope so.

vicki_in_Utah on December 28, 2012 at 10:41 am
    • Clive, Thanks for calming me down. It looks like they have saved the chairs, victorian sewing rocker, quilt and other antiques that I could not see well. Good on them! As an antiques dealer with a shop for 42 years, I do not believe they are reproductions. The patina and construction look old. The value is not as important as the rememberance of the past, the history and the aura of those who used or made the piece. Even if the antiques are not used in the cabin, they need to go to a museum or be sold. Pat Green

Pat Green on December 28, 2012 at 11:29 am
    • Pat, thanks for lending your expertise and for speaking up. Jennie and grammagail always put in comments I'd have sent myself also.

LLColeman on December 30, 2012 at 2:48 am
    • You're very welcome, LL Coleman. Sometimes it's hard to know whether to comment or not. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all type. Sometimes I feel like I am talking for the antiques who have no voice but might say, no stripping, no re-painting, and no remuddling. The past needs to not be discarded or treated as junk. The wicker stand left out in the rain looks like Victorian vintage to me . It may survive the rain since these wicker pieces were not glued together like some modern wicker is but wrapped tightly and tucked in. It should be allowed to dry out slowly so no warping occurs. Thanks againfor your support. Pat

Pat Green on December 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm
    • Pat, you certainly do not sound like a "know it all", LOL. A number of us are very passionate and vocal about protecting any old elements in these homes–whether they are furnishings or architecture…it gives credibility to our position to have a person, with decades in the business, able to identify antique pieces with some idea of their value.

LLColeman on December 31, 2012 at 5:21 am
    • Pat, I agree with LLColeman and am so grateful for your expert input on the antiques! Those of us who have been on the Blog for a while have spoken up frequently on behalf of preservation of antiques: don't paint them, don't marry them, cut them or otherwise disarm them of their original design, finish or intent. We haven't exactly been successful along that front, but we have tried. Your input is outstanding and valuable, so don't give up. We learn from you when you post, too and I love it!!! :D So glad you're on board! Happy New Year, Pat!^_^xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 31, 2012 at 5:00 pm
    • Kitty, Thank you for your kind remarks. Happy New Year to you, LL Coleman and the other wonderful bloggers. It looks as if the antiques are now safely (?) stored away and out of the weather. Your knowledge of antique preservation is right on. No more antique murders! Pat

Pat Green on January 1, 2013 at 11:25 am
    • Pat, Thank you for defending antiques!
      I really do not like the throw away mentality. The way we were brought was to make do with what you had! I grew up loving antiques and cherishing them as treasures passed to me from loving hands. The hours it took to make, the hours it took to finish were all a major part of someone's life. The cheesy, stamped out, glue and miss stapled stuff we get today has none of that attached to it. Individual pieces of hand-worked art. deserve respect and care.
      All of that soap box speech coming from this antique! LOL:D

grammagail on January 1, 2013 at 1:26 pm
    • There are items they are saving I think. One of those being the fireplace surround. My house from 1820-41 would look on the chairs as new, but not I! They do not look like repros to me! Hopefully they saved them from the upstairs gutting to use later. The demo day at blog cabin is great as we sit and watch the snow swirling around us!!! thank you for allowing us a peek at the work. Just hope they pass some of the serviceable things along to others who could use them.

grammagail on December 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm