Dec 21

Something Old Attached to Something New

Blog Cabin 2013 original first floor

Wondering where the original first floor ends and additions begin? Project manager Dylan Eastman doctored photos to show you just that. And don’t worry: We’ve got plans for that battered dock!

• Posted at 12:00 pm on December 12, 2012

1. This sunny morning it looks like they are trying to repair the ground from the trucks tearing it up a little. Wet ground and heavy trucks make for a mess.
    Also notice they have a well pump in place over near the U shaped PVC pipe. Got electricity at the pole out back so things are rollin'!

grammagail on December 22, 2012 at 10:47 am
  2. I sure thought that they would have raised the house more than what they did. I would have liked to seen it up high enough to drive a vehicle under it. It looks like water stands in the front ditch all the time. Does anyone know what the 100 year flood level is there?

Todd on December 22, 2012 at 11:22 am
    • If you know the address you can go to the FIMA.gov web-site

Eugenia27 on December 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm
    • Eugenia, I never thought of that ! Duh, me! I think that may be FEMA.gov (federal emergency management administration). Awesome suggestion–thanks! :*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 22, 2012 at 8:42 pm
    • I think I just realized why I have such a hard time researching items. I can’t spell! Lol

Eugenia27 on December 22, 2012 at 9:57 pm
    • Lots of us run into that same problem, Eugenia–and you know what? Doesn't matter at all here! This Blog is a safe zone! HEEHEE! I can't begin to tell you the times I have tried to post in the dark so Hubby can sleep, and I'm half asleep–and I go back and read what I posted the next day… Well, egads! I can't even decipher my own gobbledygook!!! :D :p;)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 22, 2012 at 10:11 pm
    • Good questions, Todd. Even a 100 year flood plain line would be irrelevant if one is dealing with storm surge. It is a matter of Storm type and just how strong it turns out to be, should it hit the area. No one can predict that this far ahead of time. The Outer Banks and East Coast Region does get hit but it varies so. It has been a very long time since any tsunami has been recorded on Eastern side of USA. I seem to remember readig something related ,long ago, and think it may have been in the 19th Century? I don't have time to research t now, or I would just for curiosity's sake. But it is just wise for any resident of waterfront property to have an exit plan during heavy storm weather, just as it is to have fire escape plans, etc. Just common sense. :) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 22, 2012 at 8:14 pm
    • Hi Kitty, good to see you! Did you have your 90 something hrs test done already…If so I'm praying that you will have some Good news for a change…I think of you often and wondering how you are coping..Stay strong, God will see you through ….Sending you many Hugs and good wishes…We love Our Blogging Buddy!!!! Let us know and Take care!

Jennie/Florida on December 22, 2012 at 8:33 pm
    • Hi Jennie! :) Thank you so much for your sweet encouraging words! Your prayers mean the world to me too! I feel strong under the loving wings of our loving God Who watches us like an Eagle watches and protects it eaglets. Today, I finished the series of octreotide nuclear isotope CAT scans. You have an excellent memory! My neuroendocrinologist ordered them STAT, but even so, I had wait 2.5 weeks for first opening. That began Wednesday. We have Christmas Eve weekend. No Nuclear Radiologist till Monday. There's LOTS to study!!! Hours of scans! Lets see, you get the picture: STAT doesn't exactly mean my doc will receive a report/reading as fast as he would like. I'm spending much time trying to become more educated in my rare type cancers, yes, plural. From what I did see of the scan monitors, I do have mets to various organs besides pancreas. So I'm just preparing for battle. I repeat: I am not afraid. I may be weak, but my God is greater than anything in this world or in me!
      And in this Beautiful Season of Celebration, May He, the Prince of Peace, be Your and ALL DIY's Staff & Contractors, and ALL my DEAR Bloggie Buddies' Joy and Hope at Christmas and throughout the New Year!!! Happy Thoughts Always!:D:D<3<3<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 22, 2012 at 9:06 pm
    • Kitty, I saw a show the other day (I now wish I had paid more attention) I think it was on Dr. OZ (or not), They were saying that people and cancer cells live off of sugars but people can live off of Ketones(Spelling????) But Cancer cells Can NOT! There are special diets where you can live off …. Almost the opposite of a vegan diet. You can eat any real meat (not processed) butter, milk, cream. NO Margarine or any man made “animal product.” I will try to find out more but it might take me a while.

Eugenia27 on December 22, 2012 at 10:23 pm
    • I just read your post to Gary, my Hubby, and he had heard that too! We'll definitely look into it–thank you so much!!! :D xD I think you spelled Ketones correctly… :) You get an "A." Thank you SOOOOO much!!! Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year, Eugenia, to YOU and to Yours! xD:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm
    • It Is called a Ketogenic diet. According to the show I saw, The person does great and all the cancer cells die off. Good Luck and God bless you. I don't eat meat but if it came to it I would go on this diet.
      Merry Christmas.

Eugenia27 on December 23, 2012 at 12:11 am
    • WOW! That was lickity split quick! I'll definitely be examining this diet very closely. I already scarcely eat sugars and carbs. and haven't much appetite. IF i have the surgery I SUSPECT I'll be having digestion will be even more challenging than it already is. I don't absorb nor empty my food that's been swallowed for many, many hours.I sure hope this will work for my case! Will keep you posted. Thank you so much! :) ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 23, 2012 at 12:25 am
    • Kitty, Keep us posted. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :) <3

bythebaydreamer on December 25, 2012 at 9:17 pm
    • The 100yr flood mark is defined as the highest recorded flood level in the previous 100 yrs (measured as the maximum height above mean sea level). National coastal building codes demand that the house be raised to that highest flood level + a little more. Previous owners, who have records going back approx. 120 yrs, said the highest flood they knew of reached as high as the downstairs window sills. I'm guessing on this house that is somewhere between 3ft 6in & 4 ft. Today they back filled dirt to the house which gives the illusion the house was only raised about 3 1/2ft . However, before this was done I did a quick calculation that gave me the height the house was raised above the previous ground level of about 6ft with a margin of 6 inches either way. I know this is all a little speculative but I used the same method on the 2011 house with much poorer images and I was out by 3 inches. I'm fairly sure the house is probably around 5ft higher than it was when purchased. Therefore, it's significantly above the 100 yr flood maximum. All should be well for a while at lest. ;)

Clive on December 22, 2012 at 9:52 pm
    • Thanks, Clive! That's very helpful to know. You are always ahead of the game with your technical savvy, and I look forward to learning something new from you often. Merry Christmas!!!:D:D Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 22, 2012 at 10:14 pm
    • A merry & peaceful Christmas to you & yours and to all bloggies everywhere. :)

Clive on December 22, 2012 at 10:37 pm
    • Thank You, Clive!xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 22, 2012 at 10:44 pm
    • Clive
      Your expertise is always so welcome. I too thought when I saw that the home had been lowered to it's new foundation-I was surprised it was not higher? I hope you and they are right for future storms hitting the area. Maybe they will also do some sort of a berm (?sp?), levy in addition to other landscaping?

ruffybc on January 2, 2013 at 10:25 am
  3. This home is going to require a lot of work, but I am sure it will look great once it is finished.

Summer on December 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm
  4. What are thay going to do with the dock? It would be realy beautiful if they made it in to a Dock with a Gazebo on it, were you can have some recliners or a rocking chair to sit and enjoy the view! ^_^ And if it's to far to run power to witch would be best, you could allways add solar power lights and a solar power MP3 player dock that gose to spekers in the Gazebo. Then it would be good for partys or just a relaxing get away!!! B)
    And that is some thing all ages can agree!!!!!

asandmancan on December 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm
    • I like that idea, including the solar power! Wouldn't be bad to have a fish cleaning station there too, including running water to swish off the fish till one can get it inside. It would be far less messy than hauling in the daily catch to clean it at the house kitchen. UGH!! (Negative aroma =/ ) I really do hope that they will put an outdoor shower in similar to the one they did at the 2011 BC in Matthews, VA. That one rocked! Very necessary when there's sandy, beachy property. Like your idea Frank!!! Cool!B)xD^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 22, 2012 at 8:23 pm
    • Thank you Mrs, Kitty!
      Add a Gas fire place that can also be used as a grill and you have all year round enjoyment! B)
      —————Paradise!————–

asandmancan on December 22, 2012 at 10:14 pm
    • Oooo Yesssss…and a side place for a fish and hush puppy fry pot! Again Cabin smell nice and fresh…ahhhhhhh!!!! :p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 22, 2012 at 10:47 pm
  5. Right on!

grammagail on December 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm
  6. I really hope you will give some consideration to installing a small elevator.

tepeeupdate on December 23, 2012 at 12:31 am
    • I agree with the elevator wish. To make this cottage a true dream place and accessible to all would be wonderful. Ramps and wider doorways are good to have no matter if they are for the residents or to accomidate guests.
      Really enjoy what I'm seeing so far!

Scotk9 on December 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm
  7. Holiday Greetings Mary, Dylan, DIY Team and fellow bloggers! I am so excited by the recent pictures and news that the 2013 Blog cabin will be a blend of the old and the new!!! The new foundation is awesome and looks great. From the bottom to the top the blog cabin will be built with the plan of being there for generations to enjoy. I can't wait until the vote begins! Merry Merry! <3

bythebaydreamer on December 23, 2012 at 3:55 pm
  8. I want to wish Everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year!!!! Love to all my Blogging Family!!! If traveling, please be careful and have a Safe Journey. As most of you know, just before Christmas it's usually down time on the Blog..Everyone is getting ready for Santa Claus, Baking Goodies or just enjoying Family and Friends…"What a Wonderful time of the Year"…I will drop in when I can…So much too do and so little time left before Santa gets here….For those of you getting Snow, I envy you, I would love to have a White Christmas….We have 45 degree weather but the Florida Sunshine is brightly shining!
    Can't wait to get started on this long Journey and to be part of this great renovation, giving this Cozy Beach Cottage some good solid Bones and a newer refreshing look..Still waiting for Mary or Mr. Eastman to turn loose of those Newly Revised Floor Plans.."I'm so excited, I just can't hide it." I know, I know, I know, I'll Like it! Time to go and bake my Vanilla Wafer Cake!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 23, 2012 at 10:36 pm
    • Well…. the Sun isn't shining Now, for peat sakes, but today was a clear..nice day..61degrees. Tonight in high 40's Really cold for Florida especially with high winds..Burrrr!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 23, 2012 at 11:09 pm
    • Our highs in the 30's and lows in the teens! i'll second the Brrrrr!

grammagail on December 24, 2012 at 10:25 am
    • Jennie, Here in Maine its 23 at 11pm. We are expecting snow later in the week. Have a Merry Christmas, and my you have a very happy, healthy New Year! Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on December 24, 2012 at 12:18 am
    • Thank you Becky…Stay warm!!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 25, 2012 at 8:27 pm
    • Merry Christmas to you also Jennie! Today we also have 60 degree weather here in AR, but that is due to change tonight when a cold front blasts in. We may actually have a white Christmas tomorrow, a rare thing for central Arkansas. When it snows here everything shuts down because they don't have the equipment to clear the roads. Fortunately my family from the northeast coast has already safely arrived.

SID on December 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm
    • Sid, hope you and family are safe, I saw on the weather channel that you are having some crazy Weather in your area, some areas are getting snow and thunder??? At least you are having a White Christmas..be careful and stay safe! Enjoy your Family!

Jennie/Florida on December 25, 2012 at 8:57 pm
  9. There is activity on site this morning. Building something…..haven't figured out what yet.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all! Have a wonderful holiday!
    The New Year grows closer and with it the plans and voting. YAY!

grammagail on December 24, 2012 at 10:35 am
    • It's a temporary set of stairs to the door! Merry Christmas, cabin!

grammagail on December 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm
    • Christmas wishes back at'cha Gail!

SID on December 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm
  10. Before I get real busy, I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and may all your Christmas wishes and dreams come true. Live, Laugh, Love. Oh yeah, and be safe.<3:D

Dghawk4 on December 24, 2012 at 11:02 am