Dec 21

Something Old Attached to Something New

Blog Cabin 2013 original first floor

Wondering where the original first floor ends and additions begin? Project manager Dylan Eastman doctored photos to show you just that. And don’t worry: We’ve got plans for that battered dock!

• Posted at 12:00 pm on December 12, 2012

1. Beautiful floor plan, but where did the fireplace go besides to the trash heap? Is there not going to be that lovely little whitewashed fireplace anymore in that lovely little bright living room? I was imaging when I saw the before pictures of sitting there comparing beach finds with the family in front of warm looking fire over a hot drink on a semi-foggy morning. I know a lot of people are fancying a Florida warm seasonal house year round. However, this house needs to be treated realistically. People need to be aware that in the Carolina states, they experience cooler weather for half the year. Fireplaces at the beach just make that pleasant. Please find a way to put some kind of fireplace back in the living room. The fireplace could be a gas heat fireplace with a remote for all I care.

wildhairedchild on January 6, 2013 at 3:52 am
  2. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and a happy new year. I wish you all the best for 2013! I love watching as the guys are breaking down the home to its bare bones and can't wait for it to be reformed!

Rebecca on January 6, 2013 at 8:22 am
  3. This project has been brought down to the bear minimum, it is down to the outline of what once was, it will all be basically new from hence forward. Dylan Eastman and mangers probably got this deal in saying they would be saving history in doing this which I think is great, and I'm glad it did no get washed away in this last storm, maybe it is sitting on the right sound. And by past show they will do a wow job at this one.

Rhonda Price on January 6, 2013 at 5:19 pm
  4. Real purity place this is going to be.

Rhonda Price on January 6, 2013 at 5:40 pm
  5. I'm so happy to hear they're keeping the dock! It's such a private spot on Core Sound, great for lounging around in the sun and reading a book. It's also one of the best places on the property to escape from the threat of mosquitoes!

Alicia9981 on January 6, 2013 at 10:52 pm
    • It's not a bad place for fishing either :)

Rebecca on January 7, 2013 at 9:31 pm
    • Could not agree more; the 2 necessities are the screened porch and the dock. I can just see my dogs jumping off it and me fishing lazily at the end.

zulumom on January 8, 2013 at 7:39 am
    • FYI! Don't let your dog jump off the end of the dock unless it's very high tide! The water at the end isn't that deep (only 2-3 feet deep). I'm pretty sure that, in regards to the dock that's there now, the distance between the dock and the water was greater than the depth of the water itself. Now, if they put in a floating dock, on the other hand, maybe your pup will stand a chance :)

Alicia9981 on January 8, 2013 at 9:47 am
    • hi Alicia,
      how's things going for you there? I know you must be busy and it's not always easy to take time to check on things at the blog cabin, but I wonder just what your family thinks of what it looks like now. They have the outside just about done now but for the ground work around the home and trying to finish up on the inside work.
      They try to keep the same sharp and size of the old cabin with a touch of the new, would love to hear from you on what you think of it so far, for you have lived there your self. I know there will be some things you like but sad about other changes like your bed room.
      Rhonda

home_girl on April 25, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    • Hi Alicia
      they have it all finished and now the sweepstakes are open to win this home. Have you or your family taken a look at it yet? Would love to hear from you all have to say about it. I know it will be hard with all the changes they made to the home, but now it has new life and a new beginning too.
      You going to enter to try to win the home back? now that would be something if you did. How's your teaching going? Still enjoying it?
      Rhonda

home_girl on August 13, 2013 at 4:24 pm
  6. It is just amazing to see what lies beneath as you take layer after layer off.

Rebecca on January 9, 2013 at 3:00 pm
  7. I can smell the salt in the air, just dreaming of sitting in that amazing kitchen. I really want to win. I need a home.

beverlyjean55 on January 11, 2013 at 1:56 am
  8. I know what you mean beverly! I sit and day dream about sitting on a porch swing watching the water and seagulls. I could actually just sit there for hours and hours just looking at the water. Such a beautiful place to live.

Rebecca on January 11, 2013 at 7:17 pm
  9. Hope they have Easy to use spindles inside,- EasyChanger

danaielle on January 13, 2013 at 8:41 pm
  10. I am really excited to see how they redo the dock. I am sure it will be nothing more than amazing! I love the DIY Teams!!!!

Rebecca on January 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm
    • Yes this will be exciting, after the porch it would be one of the lucky owner favorite spots

zulumom on January 20, 2013 at 10:46 am