Dec 21

Something Old Attached to Something New

Blog Cabin 2013 original first floor

Wondering where the original first floor ends and additions begin? Project manager Dylan Eastman doctored photos to show you just that. And don’t worry: We’ve got plans for that battered dock!

• Posted at 12:00 pm on December 12, 2012

1. Oh my, our cabin looks so forlorn! The cabin cam today seems awfully slow, so I know many of you are also watching closely today. I see two men still working on stripping the roof. I hope they have time to get it all under cover before rain comes. Poor sad little cabin. :(
    MARY, we need some diversion – perhaps floor plans?;)

SID on January 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm
  2. Love the way so much of the old was incorporated into something new. Seems to give the place a more home and cozy appeal. Really like the use of the sewing machine legs to use on the table. Gives me ideas I might can use.

B. Graham on January 1, 2013 at 4:42 pm
  3. Well…Rats… it looks as though the Guys are gone for the day..Sad they didn't take my "Suggestion" to put a tarp over the Cottage before they left…Weatherman said rain for the next few days…You know, It would be nice if somehow the guys could read our Blogs and as Spectators or BC Bloggers, we can see things they don't see and maybe we could help by giving little suggestions along the way…Smile..It was a good thought anyway!!!!!
    I don't know for sure that raining on the wood indoors, would cause more problems, but in my way of thinking, it would mildew the old wood or soften it and the inside would get a musty odor…Maybe not !

Jennie/Florida on January 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm
    • Yeah Jennie, I was watching the same thing as they packed up for the day. But I figure it is only going to be that way for about 15 hours and they will be back at it. They certainly got a whole lot done today. A little fresh air will help but I would like to see some sunshine to go with it. Can't wait until Mary posts on Thursday (I hope) and the voting begins.

grammagail on January 1, 2013 at 8:52 pm
    • Jennie, you are so always on top of things–no pun intended! :D But maybe, in this case, the upstairs had gotten a tad musty, let's pretend, and needed a good airing and spritzing out with Seabreeze spray? Ahhhhh… Now, so fresh that aroma — and a cleaner base from which will arise BEAUTY!!! We Bloggies are just on the fringe of idea and voting time! It is January already! Our day will come now! THE PLANS! THE PLANS, MARY, DEAREST!!! We are all so ready! WELCOME TO 2013! ;) :pxD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 1, 2013 at 11:22 pm
    • Yep it rained again, so everything got wet, no workers there yet. So maybe they don't work in the rain. Someone needs to go clean off the camera lens LOL..

vicki_in_Utah on January 2, 2013 at 10:09 am
  4. Happy New Year tu the B.C. Bloggers!

Angelways on January 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm
    • Thank you Angelways, I hope you have a Wonderful New Year!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 1, 2013 at 6:13 pm
    • Thanks, Angelways! I wish you many Blessings, Health, Joys and Hopes Fulfilled in 2013 and beyond!^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 1, 2013 at 11:29 pm
  5. I am new to the Blog Cabin but totally enamored of the location and potential. After a tour of the interior in its original state, I am excited to see what is preserved and incorporated into this fantastic cabin. I will be checking in often to see all thebeautiful improvements and each change as it occurs. ARM

Ann on January 1, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    • Welcome, Ann! Join our discussion and fun whenever you can! xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 1, 2013 at 11:25 pm
  6. If you look real close to the near corner foundation, you will see concrete blocks are the foundation, covered with those gorgeous bricks. No contractor would ever just put bricks for a foundation.

Rodney on January 2, 2013 at 8:58 am
  7. Happy New Year! I thought you might appreciate this article.

"Salt in Their Blood: The Spirit of Community Down East"

DeerSpring on January 2, 2013 at 9:37 am
    • DeerSpring, what a find, thank you for sharing the link! The articles and photos are truly a treasure of Down East history. It made me very sad to read of the loss of so much of the culture and fishing heritage of Core Sound. So much forever lost in the relentless name of 'progress'! Thank you so much for posting. While sad to read, the personal stories provide perspective on the human price paid in the relentless march toward the future.

SID on January 2, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    • You're very welcome! I realize that the changes are affecting other areas on the coast as well,
      but it becomes very personal when the details of a specific area are in focus. I used the word
      "might" appreciate because of the nature of the story but thought the content spoke well for
      the resilience of the people that call this area home. There are also some award winning documentaries highlighting the changes in the shrimping business on the Carolina coastline
      available on line.

DeerSpring on January 2, 2013 at 5:13 pm
    • Deerspring, that was such an excellent and insightful article on the community of Atlantic, NC and its neighboring area! Thank you for sharing it! It was a bittersweet read, as I saw the story line of "progress' destroying the very industry, fishing, that sustained the area. With personal histories entwined, I felt much a part of the community and wanted to jump in an do something about it. I also wondered if the Johnathan Robinson, former State Legislator mentioned in the article, was member of the family and connected to "our" Blog Cabin?" That relationship could widen our historical connections indeed! Great job for finding this fascinating info!B):D<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on January 2, 2013 at 7:12 pm
    • Kitty, the good news is that the love for the profession is passed on to other generations.
      Although it may be difficult to compete, there are some individuals who like being out in
      the ocean and being able to be their own boss. That would be really interesting if the
      legislator has a connection to the BC's Robinsons. : )

DeerSpring on January 2, 2013 at 8:24 pm
  8. Good Morning Boggers! I hope everyone had great New Years day. Looks like they have been working on the roof. It is funny how now the house is just a shell waiting for the magic to happen. Hopefully we will get an update if they have found other issues or if things are going as planned. I would love to see the new floor plan design. I can't say how much I love watching the DIY network. It shows me that I can do things myself without having to hire someone. The way things are right now I can't afford to hire someone so I am glad we have a place like this to go and show us step by step of how to do things. <3<3<3 I LOVE DIY NETWORK <3<3<3

Rebecca on January 2, 2013 at 10:23 am
  9. Hi Rebecca, I have learned so much from watching DIY & HGTV and have found that I can be "Jennie"-of-all-Trades and Master of none…Hiring someone to repair things is out of the question unless it's major repairs, then I have to breakdown and call someone…I too have learned I can do quite a few things I didn't think I could do and have found it very rewarding and I'm so proud of my accomplishments…Tomorrow is the Big Day for the Floor Plans, updates and voting…I HOPE!!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 2, 2013 at 11:27 am
  10. Just starrted following this year's BC. Its going to need A LOT of work, but I'm sure it will be beautiful when finished. Can't wait to start voting.

nmdeman on January 2, 2013 at 11:58 am