Dec 18

Additions, Subtracted

Today I am happy to share a new slideshow, created with photos and notes shared by our man on the scene, project manager Dylan Eastman. He explains why certain additions had to be removed and what we plan to do with the salvaged material from those spaces. Take a peek at the photos and share your thoughts below.

• Posted at 11:28 am on December 12, 2012

1. Good morning! Carpenters hard at work today preparing for the joining of the cabin to the foundation. It is a bit cool there with a wind chill bringing it down to 41 degrees! Just a mite chilly for outdoor work in NC. On the other hand I would trade that gladly for the snow and slush outside my door. No outdoor construction here unless it is snow forts and snowmen! What a wonderful break the cabin cam is as we realize the sun still shines warm somewhere.

grammagail on December 21, 2012 at 11:36 am
  2. Yeah the Cottage has landed….on the foundation that is!!! It doesn't look that high after they seated it…I forgot how high they were raising the cottage, does anyone remember?? Well at least it's higher than before…Can't wait to see what they do next!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm
    • Just read Clives post, he said the Cabin would be at least 5 1/2 above ground, hopefully that will be high enough from flood waters!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 21, 2012 at 1:23 pm
    • 5 1/2 ft.

Jennie/Florida on December 21, 2012 at 8:00 pm
  3. New thread has appeared! Thank you Mary and Dylan!

grammagail on December 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm
  4. Wow, that was quick. Well done Jim and the lifting / lowering crew. My guess is that the house is between 6 & 61/2 ft above the ground level (counting bricks, mortar and wooden cap for the raised foundations). The owners told us that the biggesr recorded flod her came up to the bottom of the original first floor windows, about 4/1/2 ft. Thus, this house is now well above all recorded flood levels and ready for her transformation.

Clive on December 21, 2012 at 2:46 pm
  5. makasih atas infonya sangat bermanfaat banget, enak untuk disimak

pemesanan tricajus on December 31, 2012 at 12:17 am
  6. I look at these pictures everyday. I can not help myself.

Rebecca on January 1, 2013 at 11:10 am
  7. I am not that good on the PC, so I would appreciate some help. I see everyone talking about pictures of the updates and can't find them, would love to keep track of the updated. This is an amazing location and the original photos of the inside really got my attention. I must give alot of credit to the Blog cabin crews of the past, the insight they have and the workthey carry out

Jimbo on January 2, 2013 at 8:25 am
  8. Welcome Jimbo, I'm not that great on the Computer either but maybe I can help…Go to the top of this page and click on "Camera Cam".It took me a while to learn how it works, but you will figure it out… It will take you to the sight of the Cabin and shows what is happening with the Cottage each day… We are waiting for Mary to give us updated information on the Cottage and we are waiting for the new Floor plans..I think all this is suppose to happen tomorrow.. New subjects and updates are called Threads….and if you want to back track and start with the first thread… go to the top of this page and click on Blog and that will take you all the way back to the first of 2013 Blog Cabin..click on the title of each thread if you want to read some of the blogs..I hope this helps! Yes and all of us regular Bloggers are totally "Hooked" on this great Adventure and to follow the day to day updates on this Cozy little Cottage on the beach…Well it was cozy until they stripped her of everything and now she is down to the bones…But in the days ahead she will become beautiful and
    cozy again…Enjoy the Journey!!!!! The latest thread is "Something Old Attached to Something New dated" December 21st..Welcome aboard!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 2, 2013 at 12:44 pm
    • OOPS Jimbo that is "Cabin Cam"…..

Jennie/Florida on January 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    • Thank you so much for your help Jennie/Florida, it was very nice of you to help me out. I do hope you or someone like you wins this blog cabin "what you give you get many times over".

Jimbo on January 2, 2013 at 5:04 pm
    • You are very welcome Jimbo, I hope my info helped. Just helping someone in need, is rewarding! Thank you for your nice thought!!!

Jennie/Florida on January 3, 2013 at 9:43 am
  9. You know to be totally honest I would furnish this home the exact same way that it is. I love old antique type furnishing. I also love love love light houses. I see that there are several around the house. I love this home just the way it is inside. I know that it needs a lot of structural work and things to bring it up to code but I love each and every room just the way it is. It just has that old warm feeling about it. Even the outside, the old water pump, the porch, yellow flowers beside the house. I can not believe you found this diamond in the rough. As you can see I am a country girl at heart. Please keep some of the old furnishings, I think that is what really makes this house feel so warm. Just a thought although others may feel different I love things with history. Things that tell a story. This home surely does. It looks as if there were a lot of love there for many of years.

Rebecca on January 2, 2013 at 6:13 pm
  10. It is hard to believe that someone would let this house run down, this bad. What I like best and brought back my childhood was the old fashion pump. We had two old fashion pumps. One for the house and one in the yard. We also learned how to prime to get the water, and also to let the water release itself, so the pumps would not freeze in the winter. I also saw something that look like a old fashion grapevine. This happn over 70 years ago. One thing about this project. Your work is cut out for you. The picture were great. Good luck.

linda james on January 3, 2013 at 4:35 pm