Dec 18

Additions, Subtracted

Today I am happy to share a new slideshow, created with photos and notes shared by our man on the scene, project manager Dylan Eastman. He explains why certain additions had to be removed and what we plan to do with the salvaged material from those spaces. Take a peek at the photos and share your thoughts below.

• Posted at 11:28 am on December 12, 2012

1. Can't wait to see the floor plans. The whole team has alot of work ahead of them. I know DIY will do a great job, have not been disappointed yet. I can't wait to see the progress. It is exciting to see activity each day on the camera.

Noreen on December 20, 2012 at 1:23 am
  2. Great and busy day in NC! Wonderful foundation work being done.
    Wonder who the crew is. We have General Contractor Andrew Roby firm. Then sub Cartaret Septic Tank and Construction Co doing the ground work. Could they also be responsible for the masonry? Would be good to know

grammagail on December 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm
  3. This all looks like a lot of work, but will be well worst it in the end. I think the stump they used for the house foundation was a nice surprise to see. I can just image them trying to get a home up as fast as they could and use what ever material they can find to do so. Rocks might not of been around there much like they are here in Maine, so they used what they had. Get the home up quickly and get the family moved in, we can always fix things later if need be, right now I need to get a roof over my brides head. This might of just started out as a tempt home that ended up being the main one. I can just see it all.
    Sound like things we still do now for our cabins, we would gather the field stones and lay them as our foundation and build our cabin on them, we have lots of rocks around here in Maine the rocky state. :-) I lived in many Cabins build like that over the years and help build some of them. The memories. I am glad they are keeping some of those memories there for this cottage too.

home_girl on December 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm
  4. I am sitting here thinking about the 2012 BC and thinking how wonderful it would be to be sitting there right now to enjoy the fire and looking out the windows at the snow covered field.
    Or maybe of watched the snow as it fell the last few days. Cooking all those wonderful Christmas cookies in that kitchen and having the smells filling the home.
    Have the Christmas tree standing in front of the stairs all bright with lights and colored balls welcoming the Christmas guests into the home. The front of the house all done up in pretty lights to guide the way into the home with a pretty wreath on the door and another one on the barn.
    What a shame the home sits empty this Christmas season, I am still hoping the Turners would come up to Maine to enjoy the home before they sold it. If they wanted to give me the keys to the home, I could sure enjoy it over the holidays for them. ;-)

home_girl on December 20, 2012 at 2:59 pm
    • I love your imagination. I would love to sit looking out the window while you bake the cookies. I would help you frost and decorate them. So, are you making ginger bread or sugar cookies?

Eugenia27 on December 20, 2012 at 4:07 pm
    • Ginger cookies love the smell they give off, then we can do the sugar cookies. The kids love cutting out the all different shapes then decorating them later. Then Peanut blooms, family all time favorite, they love the chocolate kiss on the top or mint and hugs ones too.
      I like my Russian teacakes they melt in your mouth and the sweet fudge! Most of all we have to make a cherry nut cake for Jesus birthday, family tradition every year. Some years they leave out the nuts, but I like the nuts.
      Got that long table, so the kids can spread out and have fun decorating away. Then if there is enough snow left they can built a snowman for the front lawn and then have some hot cocoa out by the fireplace.

home_girl on December 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm
    • I absolutely LOVE Russian teacakes! They melt in your mouth and go directly to the hips. I can live with unbuttoning my jeans until New Year’s just to be able to eat them. The Cherry nut cake sounds interesting. I have no idea what it is but I’d like to try it. My husband is Italian so we make pizzelles.
      I feel all warm and snuggly just thinking of warming by the fire after building a snowman; nibbling cookies and drinking hot cocoa. Thanks for putting me in the Christmas mood.

Eugenia27 on December 20, 2012 at 5:28 pm
    • Your welcome and glad I could do it. But that is just what we'll be doing this weekend baking away for Christmas, just of wished it was at the BC, but the good Lord knows best.
      I am now on a gluten, dairy & soy free diet so I had to find ways to make all these wonderful things gluten free over the last few years. I have, but they are not the same. :-/

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family and everyone else here!
      Rhonda

home_girl on December 20, 2012 at 6:06 pm
    • Rhonda, I love the dream of being in the blog cabin, gas log heating up the house. The smell of cookies baking in that wonderful kitchen.The smell of the fresh Christmas tree. I can picture the children in the family coasting down the field, the family dog in tow. What a wonderful place to be anytime of year. Currier and Ives picture in my mind! Happy Holidays!:)<3

bythebaydreamer on December 21, 2012 at 8:35 am
    • Ditto!!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 21, 2012 at 9:38 am
  5. What a big change with everything removed. I think a fire pit at night by the water would be so nice. I hope everyone has a wonerful holiday. God Bless you all!
    Stay safe and have a wonderful few days off!

rebecca on December 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm
  6. Hopefully dooms day is not tomorrow and I will see the finished product! Lol

rebecca on December 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm
  7. Hopefully dooms day is not tomorrow and I will see the finished product! Lol

rebecca on December 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm
  8. Good Morning, you girls have got me dreaming about the Maine BC again…I know it has to be beautiful in the snow..I wish we could find out if Josephine and Family ever visited!!! I wish some of the neighbors would blog with us and keep us updated on what is happening to the Beautiful Farmhouse…Too bad it's just sitting there with no one to take care of it…What a wonderful place to have Christmas with Family….Rhonda and Eugenia, after reading your comments, I am in the mood for baking my apple nut cookies and Vanilla Wafer Cake, Buckeyes and Divinity candy….It's cold and windy here in Florida this morning and will go down in the high 30's tonight..Burrrrrrr !!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 21, 2012 at 9:31 am
    • Jennie all those things sound good too, I never made buckeyes but they are usually out all over this time of the year.
      The last time I talked with Carole there has still been no one near the home, if they was coming for Christmas, I would think they would be rolling in this weekend, we'll see! I asked Carole to let us know if they do.

home_girl on December 21, 2012 at 12:19 pm
    • Apple nut cookies sound real good. Healthy too.

Eugenia27 on December 21, 2012 at 6:51 pm
  9. What a beautiful morning at the blog cabin this morning. The sun is shining and the deep blue sea has some white caps. Lovely picture!:)<3

bythebaydreamer on December 21, 2012 at 9:59 am
  10. So, the cabin will be at least 5 1/2 ft above the ground when it's on the new foundation. That should be well above any recorded flood level. :) Just luving this new Cabin Cam.;)

Clive on December 21, 2012 at 11:26 am