Dec 18

Additions, Subtracted

Today I am happy to share a new slideshow, created with photos and notes shared by our man on the scene, project manager Dylan Eastman. He explains why certain additions had to be removed and what we plan to do with the salvaged material from those spaces. Take a peek at the photos and share your thoughts below.

• Posted at 11:28 am on December 12, 2012

1. OK, how can I edit a post when I do typos which I do consistently well?

grammagail on December 19, 2012 at 11:36 am
    • After you post, look at the right bottom corner there it will say: Edit Delete Report. click on edit and fix your typo. I do it all the time.

Eugenia27 on December 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm
    • Thank you so much!

grammagail on December 20, 2012 at 4:14 pm
  2. Hi grammagail, just hit your reply under your post and add corrections..Hey Gail, I certainly have my share of typos…I get in a hurry and forget to proof read..our Blogging buddies are very forgiving!!!
    Today it will be 73 degrees here and Beautiful Blue skies…Leaf raking time again!!! I wouldn't mind a day or two of snow..I haven't seen Snow in a long time maybe 10 for years…Love it but also like to drive out of it!
    What happened to everyone at the Cottage, it must be lunchtime..I checked first thing this morning and it looked like the whole crew was there, then I went back a little while ago and only saw one crew member working alone… Can't wait to see the Revised Floor Plans!!! Have a good day and stay warm!

Jennie/Florida on December 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm
    • Thanks Jennie!

grammagail on December 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm
    • There are at least four people on site. They are up to waist height with the northwest corner post and I am going to confirm cement mixer because they are mixing and moving wheelbarrow loads to that northwest corner. It also looks like there might be preliminary plans coming as someone is definitely
      working on plans at one of the cinder block piles. Can we hope for a look soon?

grammagail on December 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm
  3. Wow this year's BC is sure a challenge there is still so much to work on, well guy's you are the experts we are the spectators we will be back to see all you're hard work again thank you for keeping us posted.

pixelecho69 on December 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm
  4. Wow! What a lot of work! I notice the house is down on the ground again, I think that's kind of a shame, actually, I liked the idea of it being fairly high about potential flooding.

There was a LOT of real treasure inside the house, though. I bet the blue glass, the blue plate china and much of the larger pieces of furniture get salvaged, much of it only needs some restoration. But those interior stairs, yikes! LOL It's a "jump" all right!

I can hardly wait to see how you guys redo/reframe/rebuild this house! I'm guessing we'll be seeing man-made cedar shakes on the exterior, that would be cool. Maintain the original look and feel of the house, but make it more resistant to the elements, yes? Blue studs, too? Hmmm…

Michelle P. on December 19, 2012 at 1:03 pm
    • I believe you're mistaking the slide show above for the current state of the Cabin. If you go to the Cabin Cam you will see that today they've already built a lot of the raised foundation at the front of the house. :)

Anniesown on December 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm
  5. WOW been waiting so patiently for this to begin! Ready, start……GOOOOOO!! lol Thanks for the update it is amazing watching things as they occur. Looking good guys!

Rebecca on December 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm
  6. From the porch to the dated bricks it is all just so amazing. I hope you still do a wrap around porch. The porch with the swing over looking the water looked so calming! Even the tree had been marked at a later date! lol You guys need to put your renovation date some where to mark it as well! Are you going to show what the new layout will look like soon?

Rebecca on December 19, 2012 at 2:27 pm
  7. Whoever is taking the pictures is doing great job taking these pictures. They don't miss anything and are so clear.

Rebecca on December 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm
  8. There are 2 things that really stand out for me personally. (1) A FRESH herb garden, it's something that is really nice to have. (2) A really good HVAC system! I personally am allergic to everything outside and I am sure that I am not the only one. The fact that you are putting both into this project is wonderful! My hat goes out to you.

Rebecca on December 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm
  9. Raised foundations are well under construction today. Looks almost identical to the 2011 house with cinder block walls faced with brick. Plenty of holes for ventilation and to alow flood water to pass through without damaging anything. :)

I may be getting over-excited but it looks like there may be an extension at the front beyond the raised cabin walls where the old porch was. I hope so. The new raIsed foundation walls seem to go out beyond the cabin line then cut back towards the house again.

Clive on December 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm
    • Hope you are right Clive. It looks like someone dropped a palet of red brick this morning.

vicki_in_Utah on December 20, 2012 at 9:03 am
  10. Lots of work, but more than worth it. This house and location are amazing. Pine stump foundations were common. You used what was available to you. Many songs written about Carolina pines. Coastal Carolina homes are now built upon huge, large, high pilings. They are subject to many elements and storms. Regularly on the hurricane hit list. Would love to see this elevated with huge, wide, wrap around deck/porch. Beautiful home and grounds. Just calling out for kids and dogs.^_^

ceddinger on December 19, 2012 at 6:01 pm