Dec 18

Additions, Subtracted

Today I am happy to share a new slideshow, created with photos and notes shared by our man on the scene, project manager Dylan Eastman. He explains why certain additions had to be removed and what we plan to do with the salvaged material from those spaces. Take a peek at the photos and share your thoughts below.

• Posted at 11:28 am on December 12, 2012

1. How exciting! This wonderful coastal retreat will have a second life thanks to DIY. Thank you Mary and Dylan for bringing the new slides to us. It really helps us bloggers to have a better understanding of all the work (planning, expense, execution) that is required. Can't wait ! :) <3

bythebaydreamer on December 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm
  2. Wow, what a ground shaker. I just hope that new additions are put on the house to at least keep the square footage or make the house bigger. I was really looking forward to a large kitchen not so open to everything and a house large enough for five kids with guest room. Yeah, I know five kids is not the norm for many people but I wouldn't trade in not one of my siblings. It would be nice to have a library (a real one that can hold thousands of books). However, whatever DIY Blog Cabin does with this property, I am positive, I will fall in love with it. The workmanship is always top notch and the finished product is always more than can be imagined.

ladybyrd on December 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm
  3. So glad to see a storage bin. Boy you guys sure do have your work cut out for you…but it will be fun to watch. thanks.

vicki_in_Utah on December 18, 2012 at 6:17 pm
  4. Whoa — a tad rough, I'd say! Disheartening to see our beloved Blog Cabin looking like a well-worn ghost of cabins past — a shadow of her once proud self. She'll need lots of love and hard work.

I have to say it's been a long, long time since I've seen a tree stump foundation. As a matter of fact, it may be my first….

Anyway, good luck, DIY crews, in bringing this long-standing home back to life, and tougher yet, meeting all of the hopes and dreams of demanding Blog Cabin fans across this diverse land. As always, we'll be keeping our eyes peeled and our fingers ready on the keyboard to render our satisfaction — or dismay — as the transformation progresses!

DBCoop on December 19, 2012 at 12:22 am
  5. Lots of heavy lifting to resurrect this old lady to her former glory plus updates. I am sure that she will be the belle of the ball when DIY and the contractors all get finished. This one will separate the adults from the wannabes. How will you attack the framing issues? Will get more wood milled to the specs of the existing framing or will the new and replacement framing be regular dimensional lumber?

YankeeNuke on December 19, 2012 at 4:32 am
  6. Wow, a tree-stump foundation!! That's amazing. You guys sure have your work cut out for you!

Ummmmm….. pretty please can we have a peek at the new floor plans? Pretty please? :D

MGYinSC on December 19, 2012 at 7:40 am
  7. Boy lots going on, on the Cabin Cam this morning. Looks like they are going to get the foundation started. Looks like it is a little cool there. We got over a foot of snow last night. White Christmas's are not what they are cracked up to be..LOL…I do not like shoveling snow. I miss brown Christmas's in Calif.

vicki_in_Utah on December 19, 2012 at 9:27 am
    • Snowing here but it is flirting with melting temps. I wish it would freeze solid now. I'll take soft white over muddy brown any day. Shoveling is a pain but sometimes if you leave it be for a bit it brings quiet times to curl up with a good book and drink a nice cup of hot chocolate. Those storms over a foot are a problem, though, because if you don't keep up with it you end up buried in place until spring!

grammagail on December 19, 2012 at 11:47 am
    • Here in Oregon we have a green Christmas. The good part is we don’t have to shovel our rain. But we do have to live with the rain. I guess a white Christmas would be nice after all.

Eugenia27 on December 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm
  8. This is so exciting. Things are really getting under way! Can't wait to see what you do with this old granny of a house.

MillburyMo on December 19, 2012 at 9:44 am
    • Be careful about "old granny" comments. They come in forms other than cottages you know! xD LOL

grammagail on December 19, 2012 at 11:40 am
  9. What a Beautiful Wednesday Morning at the Beach Cottage..a chilly 45 degrees but Sunny and "refreshing"
    for the guys who are working on the foundation…I see no one gathered Alicia's Sea Shells around those trees, so they were buried…I guess we can kiss them good bye!!! I wonder how much termite damage was found and to what extent did it travel throughout the Cottage…I think that would be one of the biggest worries and all the exterior walls are probably effected also…From the Photos, the Cottage does look pretty bad and almost impossible to reuse anything exterior wise….Viewing the inside, it didn't look bad, but once the walls are removed, we get the real story….I wonder if Diy anticipated this much deterioration…I'm sure they can handle the task and bring it up to code, but I hope the "Budget" won't be used up before they add more bath
    rooms, screen porches and all the other necessities that this beach cottage needs to keep it Cozy and comfortable for all who Enters….Just my thoughts!!! Have a good day to All…

Jennie/Florida on December 19, 2012 at 11:26 am
  10. The shells are still there! there. There is a large piece of equipment to the north of them so they are protected on that side and a tree branch is down in front of them on the south. The sand pile stopped just short of them . Is that equipment I see a large generator perhaps? I can't tell.
    Continuing to watch the shells. In one of the slides looking east you can see them lovingly placed in a circle around the trunk of one of the trees.
    North Carolina looks delightful to me the Wednesday morning as I watch snow flakes coming down outside my window. Yup, 45 degrees sounds great!

grammagail on December 19, 2012 at 11:34 am
    • Looks like that equipment might be an on site cement mixer? Especially since there are bags of cement or concrete plus sand right there

grammagail on December 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm