Dec 18

Additions, Subtracted

Today I am happy to share a new slideshow, created with photos and notes shared by our man on the scene, project manager Dylan Eastman. He explains why certain additions had to be removed and what we plan to do with the salvaged material from those spaces. Take a peek at the photos and share your thoughts below.

• Posted at 11:28 am on December 12, 2012

1. I don't know…so much work. We have been shown all the worst. To be able to create again really takes a dedicated, visionary team. Can not imagine that any other buyer would have been able to keep up with just repairs as the years rolled by. It truly was time to do what is being done.

joanlife on December 18, 2012 at 11:52 am
  2. From the earlier inside photos this house looked pretty and well cared for. You could tell that the home had been well loved. These latest photos reveal the hidden reality of more than a hundred years of insect and moisture damage even in a home well cared for. Big job DIY and contractors, but we know that you are up to it!
    Lot's of activity visible from the cabin cam this morning……yeah! Looks like the new raised foundation work is finally beginning. This renovation is going to be very entertaining to watch this season.:p

SID on December 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm
  3. Good Morning Mary and Mr. Eastman, thank you for the new thread…Boy things are looking up!!! I'm so glad to hear there is going to be a small covered porch off of the Master bedroom. Also that the driveway entrance to the Cottage/porch will be rebuilt as part of the New Porch..The kitchen floors look usable and I love the wide planks!! Mary, other than Persimmon trees, what other fruit trees are there. We were told there were pecan trees, a pear tree…The more fruit trees, the better, I say!!! Thank you for the update, now I'm really getting excited and can't wait for all the action to begin..It's great to see the guys busy with the prep for the foundation…We Bloggers would love to review the Revised Floor Plans!! That would be a great Christmas Present to ALL the dedicated Bloggers who are already in love with this Cottage!! Thank you again for a nice surprise this morning……..Have a good Day!!!

Jennie/Florida on December 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm
  4. Thank you for the up-date. Out of all the past Blog Cabins, this is probably in the worst condition of them all… But I am confident that it will be the best one yet. Though it will take a lot of love and care to make that house in to a HOME!!! :D

asandmancan on December 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm
  5. Thanks for the new information. The exterior of the house sure needed some work. The pictures of the interior looked pretty good to me. Nice and homey with interesting decorations. i liked it a lot. Love the pictures and explanations Dylan Eastman gave us. Thanks for the insight. Echoing Jeannie/Florida, it would be nice to see your plans for the renovation.

NancyBee on December 18, 2012 at 2:09 pm
  6. OMG!!! What a nightmare! Hats off to ya. I will not complain about my house again. Tell ya the truth seeing what I see now….I would have bulldozed the entire place. Just too much expense and and did I mention the $$$. Tree Stump foundation!!! Really! That is incredible. I do recall that at the last blog cabin, Q&A section that the builder there suggested that the condition of the foundation was a critical factor in deciding weather to reno or bulldoze. How come that was not a determining factor at this build? Curious to understand your reasoning process. Did your team really expect these issues to be present or was that the purpose of this for entertainment value? I can understand that reasoning. But did you all really know how bad the condition was? I don't think a "Normal" buyer would undertake this project. At least I would NOT. Mary thank you for sharing the photo's . These help illustrate what to look for during home inspections. Live termite infestation? EEEEWWWW. Love to see the budget for this build. So much work!!! So much juicy history.

Ashtabulannie on December 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm
    • In this house there is no basement. That is the difference between this and the Maine house. They also had to jack up the VA house, which also didn't have a basement, and put footers and foundation under it as well.

YankeeNuke on December 19, 2012 at 4:28 am
  7. Thanks for the update, Mary. The photos and notes by Mr. Eastman surely show the incredible (almost miraculous) transition that the DIY team is planning. This has to be one of the most challenging renovations DIY has attempted. Looking at the additions and changes made over the years, exposed by the process of tearing down to the basics, places the DIY team into a long history of building/rebuilding and adding onto this house. The plans, as explained so far; such as the small covered porch, sound terrific! This should be a wonderfully challenging project for DIY and an amazingly interesting process for followers of this Blog!

Lester B. on December 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm
  8. This is exactly the information needed to help us understand the incredible amount of work that goes into a project like this. Thank you so much, Dylan and Mary for posting this slide show!
    The attempt to salvage a preserve is admirable. Now could you please pass along the suggestion that the construction crew not pile things on those shells over there by the drive way trees? Until today they were giving them a wide berth but now they are starting to pile stuff on top of them. If you don't want them please send them on up to Maine to me. I'd love to have them!:)

grammagail on December 18, 2012 at 3:27 pm
    • :D xD^_^

DwnSoDwnEaster on December 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm
    • Gail, I hope someone rescued them. The whole area where they were now looks pretty well torn up.:(

SID on December 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm
  9. The outside of this home definitely needs a lot of work. Let the renovation begin!

Summer on December 18, 2012 at 4:02 pm
  10. Thanks for the slide show, Mary and Mr. Eastman. The pictures really show how much needs to be done. It will definately be interesting to see how this progresses and how you address all the problems. Now that they have started the foundation, I can breathe a little easier about the whole thing not being torn down, But from the looks of things, I don't think there will be much left of the old house. But that's OK. I can deal with it.:D

Dghawk4 on December 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm